Very difficult decision!

I say go to Hawaii. Many feel Oahu is their least favorite island because Waikiki and Oahu in general are more crowded, but there is PLENTY to do and see. First of all, the lagoons by Aulani in the Ko Olina Resort area are great! They have little to no surf, so the kids can play in the water with ease! There are 4 lagoons in that area that you can utilize, and minimal parking for non-resort guests, so they are never really that crowded. If you rent a car (which you had in your calculations) you can see so many of the sites! There is Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, Makupuu Lighthouse for an easy hike with a beautiful view of the little islands to the east and possibly Maui in the distance, Diamond Head crater hike with views of Waikiki, the North Shore beaches (in February there are still giant waves, so there will be surfers and possibly a surf competition). Haliewa Town on the north shore has some great "hole in the wall" type restuarants and the famous Hawaii Shave Ice stand Matsumoto's. Ko Olina has a great luau and then along the leeward coast there is the Polynesian Culture Center that puts on a great night show. Then there is the history- Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri are great tours. For cheap eats, grab a "plate lunch" for around 5-6 bucks and you'll be full all day! Sure you can spend a lot on food at the grocery stores, but the normal restaurants in my experience living there were not that much higher than the mainland (minus the resort area itself). In my opinion, if you have just one week, there won't be enough time to see all that Oahu has to offer AND travel to another island. Best of luck in your decision! Happy New Year and Happy Planning!

Three fun options!

That said Feb can be iffy in Hawaii just like any state. That is a fairly rainy time. The first year we lived there it rained for 40 days straight. Literally...I've never seen anything like it. Our friends flew over from Seattle and that's what they got! We spent a week on Kauai in Feb the next year and it was so cold and rainy that we didn't even swim!

I think the thing with Hawaii is to consider what you'll want to do there. Are going all that way and then just spend time at the resort? Swim and beach? Costs won't add much except food!!! If you want to sightsee, it can add up very quickly plus the travel time around a very crowded island. :). It's so terribly expensive to get to Hawaii from the east coast, travel to/there is long, you're jet lagged when you arrive...We lived in HI three years and made four trips back to the mainland--one to WA, one to CO and two to GA. 10 hour flight to GA with a six hour time difference (HI doesn't do DST) and flights from HNL to east coast usually leave at night arriving early morning east coast. It's painful!

The cruise can be all inclusive. If you don't book expensive excursions at Nassau, Castaway Cay is gorgeous and lots of things included there. All food on ships is free, most drink (non alcoholic of course!), entertainment, kids clubs, AquaDuck, movies, shows, etc. obviously much easier travel to get there and you can add on a few days of parks "for free" with your passes and DVC points.

I think it just depends on what you're seeking. Good luck either way!

If it were me, I'd go for the cruise.
Hawaii is amazing, but the time change is hard on LO's, and your kids seem like they are the perfect age to really enjoy all that a DCL offers.

The first year we lived there it rained for 40 days straight. Literally...I've never seen anything like it. Our friends flew over from Seattle and that's what they got! We spent a week on Kauai in Feb the next year and it was so cold and rainy that we didn't even swim!

Sorry to go off topic, but I remember that 40 days of rain- my parents got one sunny day on their visit! I felt so bad for those that did their "once in a lifetime" vacations to Hawaii over that time!

The first year we lived there it rained for 40 days straight. Literally...I've never seen anything like it. Our friends flew over from Seattle and that's what they got! We spent a week on Kauai in Feb the next year and it was so cold and rainy that we didn't even swim!

Sorry to go off topic, but I remember that 40 days of rain- my parents got one sunny day on their visit! I felt so bad for those that did their "once in a lifetime" vacations to Hawaii over that time!

It was horrible. I swear, I thought Noah was going to come through with his ark. Never seen anything like it! And it was the month we had all our visitors...friends from Seattle (trying to escape the rain...), in-laws for two weeks (caught the tail-end of the rain and got some sun) and both sisters-in-law. Longest month ever! :)

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't even think about Hawaii having a rainy season! I am definitely leaning towards the cruise while DH is still stuck on HI and of course two days ago we were back to the same old just going to WDW because it's cheapest and easiest. I think that I am just going to have to bite the bullet and book a cruise with or without any input from the DH, he will have fun once we get there. LOL. I hope everyone had a safe and happy new year! Here's to another year of vacation planning! Keep the opinions coming these are exactly the reasons I started a thread! THANKS! :banana:

Please don't think it's impossible to get VGC because it's not your home resort.
We're booked there from 1/12 thru 1/18/13 in a one bdrm and our home resorts are VWL and SSR. I booked at the 7 month window and didn't have a problem..... the key is booking at the 7 month window. Also, don't know what your family's dining habits are.....we typically eat half in and half out when at WDW, however, from everything we've read dining at DL is not as prominent (you know....making ressies months in advance) as it is at WDW and we've decided we will have all breakfasts and all dinners except for one in our DVC unit and probably most lunches also, since everything at DLR is within 10/15 minute walking distance and you really don't need to take into account the transportation time to get from a park back to your DVC for meals. I'm currently working on our Von's (the grocery delivery service at DLR) grocery order and will submit it and schedule a delivery time this week.....it looks like our grocery cost for the week will be right around $200/220....not too bad for 4 people (3 adults and 11 yr old grandson) for 5 1/2 days. I'm planning on simple meals....frozen pizza/salad, spaghetti/salad night w/leftovers for lunch, taco night, homemade mac/cheese/salad w/leftovers for lunch, homemade soup/crusty bread for lunch one day....breakfasts will be eggs, sausage or bacon, french toast, waffles, and cereal depending on the day we have planned. I've also included snack stuff and two cases of water in the grocery order. We're getting 4 day PH passes to DL w/the current online special for $245 each and also planning to go to Universal Hollywood one day on a Grayline shuttle for $100 each w/transportation included. We considered getting the SO California Citypass, but, since we're only there Sat to Fri and actually Sat and Fri are both travel days...we decided against it. We decided against renting a car since we have no desire to fight the CA freeway traffic. We're flying into John Wayne Airport which is only about 13 miles from DLR and are using taxi to/from airport at a cost of under $50 each. Our airfare was $940 rd trp out of pocket for 4 of us.....using 2 SWA Rapid Rewards free one ways. So, bottom line is.....don't discount DLR simply because you don't think you'll get accommodations at VGC.......actually the only thing I'm NOT looking forward to is the long flight from NE PA to Southern CA.....don't mind flying at all...just the length of the trip.

I understand the possibility of it going up, but I don't foresee it doubling. For an example this April break we got all four tickets from Portland Maine to Orlando for 816.00. Perhaps closer to 1000.00 but if you book as soon as the dates are released you can sometimes get some decent rates. I don't pretend to know it all, so please don't take it that way....just speaking from experiences that we have had with the airlines. We call it "the game" that you have to play with the airlines. My DH has a routine that he checks flights every morning, and several times during the day. Watches the release days and plays with times that we can go...typically we schedule all vaca's around the airfare, then combine that with days that we can go, etc. We really do find it to be a game, but a game that can be crazy frustrating. I know airlines like to jack up the prices during different vacation times and have made the accommodations to travel on a tues vs a friday etc. The difference with this trip is we aren't just going to Orlando ....If we do a Cruise we do go to Orlando, but if we go elsewhere we are just as new as many others. The airfare has always been the thing that has kept us from Hawaii or CA because of it's crazy costs, but since we are only planning one trip this year vs two, we don't mind spending the extra on airfare. Thanks for the heads up though....I asked for opinions and am thankful to get them. Where in New England are you from if you don't mind me asking? :thumbsup2
I pretty much play the same airfare game that you describe, it's just that I've had NO luck for MA Feb Vacation week.. in 2008, 2011, and 2012. Maybe Maine vacation is a later week in Feb, I know NH is. When we are in Orlando that week, it seems that there are lots of MA, CT, NY, NJ, and RI people with us. I only will choose a non stop flight, so this may be my downfall. I also always find Jet Blue and Southwest can't be beat, from Boston or Providence however no airline is less than $450 RT per ticket unless I book into the next week..say going from the Tuesday (day after President's day) to the following Tuesday. Good luck with your decision:wave2:

teentoddlermom said:
Your airfare to orlando is sadly going to be double your estimate. I've gone Feb vacations a lot and have never been able to find good airfare deals from our part of the USA. The only way to make it a little less outrageous is to go from Tuesday to Tuesday, thereby taking 2 days off into the next week if that is possible. All of the airlines jack up the prices that week.

I'm going to Orlando in feb and just looked at airfare and it's only $240/pp so I don't think the estimates would be double. And I've seen it less on other days on feb.

I would say DCL cause it would seem perfect with the kids ages plus you also get the benefit of still having some time at WDW to get that fix. You said you have a PAP for Disney as well so you are getting more value out if being able to use that. Hawaii can be VERY expensive when you get there and flights are usually pretty pricey.

I'm going to Orlando in feb and just looked at airfare and it's only $240/pp so I don't think the estimates would be double. And I've seen it less on other days on feb.

What are the dates that you are looking at in Feb? We've gone to FL the last 3 years and airfare this year has been really high. Each year my budget has had to increase and I don't think we will be going next year b/c of how high airfare is. I also teach and it's really hard to get good cheap flights out of BOS. The only reason we are flying this year is that I am using SW points for flights there and we are flying in and out of Manchester instead of BOS or PVD.

We are going feb 13-20. We checked other dates throughout the month as well and for the most part it is all similar except the last weekend for some reason. We fly out of Portland using jet blue.

The 2014 dates would be right around February 15th-23rd. We LOVE Jet Blue...that's by far our favorite airline, but we fly the cheapest we can get. Southwest is good too....I really like the non stops. I recently saw a promo on Dreams Unlimited was a deal for this coming August prices starting at 399 for inside staterooms. I have requested a quote thinking that maybe we could go BEFORE school starts, and get a cheaper room since it's our first cruise and if we like it spend more on it next time for a veranda or concierge level. Has anyone used Dreams Unlimited before to book a cruise? TIA :thumbsup2

We are going feb 13-20. We checked other dates throughout the month as well and for the most part it is all similar except the last weekend for some reason. We fly out of Portland using jet blue.

WENDY!!!!!! Remember we met on last flight out in October! IT took me a second to look at your username but now I remember! When are you guys going again????

Flying from Maine and back (Been there, done that) in the confines of a February vacation is taxing IMO. I would do Hawaii only when I have two weeks to do it.

I would do the cruise! We did a cruise this past february school vacation week, because one of our party is a teacher, and it worked well for us.

rjvose17 said:
WENDY!!!!!! Remember we met on last flight out in October! IT took me a second to look at your username but now I remember! When are you guys going again????

Omg hi!! Lol I didn't even click in! I remember! Your daughter was beside my husband on the plane, hope you guys are doing great! We are going down next month feb 13-20 :) Then again mid May to take my little brother who's 10! Jet Blue is our favourite airline too, I find most times watching flights they can usually be the cheapest.

Awesome! I am excited for you guys. We head back the 25th of this month for a short little trip through the 31st. Ry got great tickets real cheap. Then we head back in April for 10 days during April break. DD9 the one that sat with you on the plane is the one that really wants a cruise...Ry wants Hawaii and DD6 wants DL.We told DD9 that we would take her on a cruise for her 10th bday which is coming up this october and it's totally catching us by surprise. We didn't think she would be 10 so fast! LOL. Where are you staying in Feb? Have you done a cruise? How are things over in Canada? As snowy and miserable as here in Maine? We are buried!:headache: It's funny how we keep "happening" on each other isn't it? Take care :wave2:

Thanks! I'm so anxious to go back down I already miss Florida! We are renting a townhouse as we are meeting DH mother. we are using the DVC in may for AKL and again in Oct split between AKL and BLT. You all must be getting so excited to go this month it's so close!! We are going to Atlantis in the Bahamas on feb 3 too (both won the trip through work) so that will help hold us over! Apparently your dd9 always remembered the cruise lol! She was certainly up on her Disney knowledge so I am not surprised. Kids certainly do grow up fast! I've never done a Disney cruise yet but I think it's what I would chose. We have done DL before. We are buried in snow up here I'm Canada too unfortunately(we really need to go south lol)!

WOW! Can't believe you won a trip to Atlantis! I am so jealous...when I was in college I really wanted to go there but haven't made it yet. Sounds like you have a busy winter! DD9 doesn't forget anything! We are in for a interesting few years as a teen I'm sure. ENJOY your trips!!!!:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter