• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vero treasures and hidden secrets

There is a nice television lounge in the back area behind the check-in desk, past the consciere desk, and beyond the restrooms and cannon heading north that I learned about on our last visit when there was a teenager night movie being shown there. There was a nice big couch and lots of great seating given the quick glimpse that I had. I always wondered what was back there, I think it was the old sales area. They have turned it into some small meeting rooms and that one larger lounge from the brief glimpse that I had. Anyone else been back there lately?

Also, if your in a jam and need some office support, there is a computer and internet connection you can use for $10 per hour. Well worth it when you need to get connected to check on something. Can't remember if that was mentioned above.

Originally posted by Margie J
Enjoy the natural surroundings of VB. It's so different than the Orlando area.

Beach - Goes without saying. It may still be turtle nesting time so get up early to see tracks or sign up for a walk at night.

Vero Beach Dodgers - If you like baseball go see a game if the team is in town. Tickets are $4 each and parking is free. On Mondays they often have $1 hot dogs, beers or sodas. Can't beat that. Take road 613 to the Stadium. A CM gave me that advice and it was much better than driving down Rt. 1.

McKee Gardens - Very pretty, tropical style walk-thru garden. Nice as a midday break.

Hale Orchards - On Rt. 1 near the Resort. Grab some fresh off the tree fruits or take home delicious juice.

Mel Fisher Treasure Museum - see some of the treasures recovered from shipwrecks in the area.

Fort Pierce - South of the Resort. There is a small town center, marina and Manatee Education Center.
Thanks for sharing.

My favorite hidden treasure is laying in the hammocks gazing at the stars and listening to the surf.
And just watching the sunrise. Cant be beat.

I've wanted to try the star watching activity sometime, where they provide telescopes. The nights can be so clear there.

I've also always been curious about the huge equestrian facility north of the resort and the west side of A1A. The place is huge, with beautiful houses.

Great info CaptainMidnight thanks everyone ;) . I love Vero we're of again in Oct for 3nts then up to OKW for 10nts yehaaaaaaaa

jj...... :)

We just returned from Vero on 7/10. Mini golf was $1.00 for members and $2.00 for guests. When I went to play mini golf with my son my wife told me to ask for a length of stay golf pass. The member rate for a length of stay pass was $5.34. They placed a red circle sticker on one of our cards and wrote how many passes we had purchased on the sticker. Well worth it!

Just returned from Vero and they seem to have a new approach to saving pool chairs and tables. They put up roped signs at the pool entrance at about 10:00pm that says that any towels or belongings placed on pool chairs before 8:00am will be removed and placed in lost and found. The one morning I was there at 8:00am, it was like a rope drop, a couple of people were lined up and all went for prime tables at 8:00am. Seemed like a pretty fair way to do ot for those families who really wanted a table and planned to use it for the majority if not all day. Just thought I'd pass this along, aparently it's a new appraoch this month. Swimming past 10:00 was still allowed, we were able to swim late. Sure is a beautiful resort. We had a wonderful time there an at the Beach Club.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Just returned from Vero and they seem to have a new approach to saving pool chairs and tables. They put up roped signs at the pool entrance at about 10:00pm that says that any towels or belongings placed on pool chairs before 8:00am will be removed and placed in lost and found. The one morning I was there at 8:00am, it was like a rope drop, a couple of people were lined up and all went for prime tables at 8:00am. Seemed like a pretty fair way to do ot for those families who really wanted a table and planned to use it for the majority if not all day. Just thought I'd pass this along, aparently it's a new appraoch this month. Swimming past 10:00 was still allowed, we were able to swim late. Sure is a beautiful resort. We had a wonderful time there an at the Beach Club.

Thanks for the good news at the VB pool.Hopefully all DVC resorts will implement this. When we were at VB in July(7-12) and this policy was NOT in place. At least they(DVC) are trying now.:D

Try the "Healthy Floridian" breakfast at Shutters - it always has a great selection of fruit - sometimes as many as 10-11 diffenrents kinds, and a muffin, yogurt and granola.

Just bumping to see if there are any new additions to this great thread. We will be spending three days at Vero following our upcoming cruise. Looks like there will be enough to do.

As has happened before, we plan all these activities and then end up never leaving the resort.;)

I consider manatee viewing a "treasure." Our "adopted" manatee, Brutus, winters in Blue Springs State Park in Orange City Florida, and I'm looking forward to going there as a day trip from VB. It's about a 2 hour ride, but he's "family."

Are there manatee viewing platforms closer to VB?

Also, am glad to hear about the mini-golf opportunities, we NEVER have had time to do that at WDW, (and this last time, we had it on our schedule, but it didn't work out) so we are looking forward to the more laid back atmosphere at VB!

Bobbi:D

They had a Mars viewing party while we were there. You could look at Mars through a HUGE telescope supplied by the resort out on the Boardwalk. We saw 3 or 4 meteors while we were out on the Boardwalk. It was awesome.

Bleachers also serves breakfast now-lighter fare such as danish, a sand bucket full of donut holes, muffins, juice, fruit cups, etc.

They open at 8 and serve breakfast until 11. We thought this was nice because often we just wanted a little something by the pool in the morning and not a big huge breakfast. Plus, the danish at VB are the best I have ever had. They make them on site.

I would also consider the massages at VB a hidden treasure. I purchased an hour one for my DH and it was only $55. That is only $5 more than I paid for the 25 minute on at VWL.

He said it was wonderful. Not wonderful enough to return the favor I guess. :crazy:

He had a full hour swedish massage for $55. Quite a bargain.

Also, the pizzas they offer at Bleachers in the evening are regular pizza and not the wheat flat crust ones available in Shutters.

Our children had the children't pizzas in Shutters and Sonya's and they really enjoyed them. A few years ago the ordered them and they were the real flat kind that they didn't care for.

The CM at Bleachers said that they were getting so many guests calling out for "regular" pizza that they decided they had to offer it instead of just the flat wheat crust ones.

One night, DH and I weren't really hungry and ordered 2 kids pizzas from room service for DS and DD. Each pizza came with vegetable and dessert. We nibbled on their meals and were full afterward.

You don't want to miss the vegetables at Shutters. I don't know what they do to their carrots but they are the best carrots I have ever had.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Last year our 2 DS (18 and 23) went 1/2 day fishing with Capt. Gus Brugger Pattern Setter Charters
They both had a great time and want to do it again when we return in the spring. They caught a fish that Capt. Gus turned into filets and the restaurant at Captain Hiram's Restaurant & Marina fixed it up for them. We paid $10 each for them to prepare their fresh catch dinners. We also let Capt. Gus take the rest of the fish as we flew in and didn't want to pay to send the rest home.

Bumping this one as there have been some VB postings lately about what to do there etc

thanks
jaysue

I thought I would share this with you. If you are boat renting go to Melbourne, usually better pricing and only 30 minutes north.

Restaurants:
pv martins south A1A - approx 40 minutes worth the drive with sunday brunch!!

calico's
Ocean Grill
the Patio Rest. on route 60. great food/karaoke
Charlie Brown's

Specialty food - Chealea's(sp?)

From a former native - any questions just ask!!

CaptainMidnight-
Thanks for all the great info!! I will be visiting Vero Beach for the first time March 15-17 after our week stay at the Yacht Club in Disney and had been going nuts finding what is where at Vero.
This topic really helped me out a bunch.

Now I really cant wait to go!!!

There is a shooting range on the way to Vero Beach that appears to be for pistol shooting. I've never shot a weapon there so I don't know what the safety precautions are or the availability and oversight of a good range officer is at the range. But I've seen the signs on the way to the Vero resort. It doesn't seem like it is very far from the resort. It's between I-95 and Route 1 when taking the subastian exit. I don't know if rental firearms are available at the range either.

Originally posted by debbiedoo
I thought I would share this with you. If you are boat renting go to Melbourne, usually better pricing and only 30 minutes north.

Restaurants:
pv martins south A1A - approx 40 minutes worth the drive with sunday brunch!!

calico's
Ocean Grill
the Patio Rest. on route 60. great food/karaoke
Charlie Brown's

Specialty food - Chealea's(sp?)

From a former native - any questions just ask!!
Thanks for the tip on going North for Boat Renting. Do you have any suggested places? It also put you closer to Cocoa Beach and Cape canaveral for exploring. You could probably drive up next toe the Disney Cruise ships on the right day.

Originally posted by bobbiwoz

Are there manatee viewing platforms closer to VB?

YES! Just up the road on A1A (about 40 minutes) & over the Causeway into DT Melbourne. We always stop and view the Manatees there, and enjoy all the sights of this little historical Florida town. ::yes::

TTFN...Df99 :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter