Vero treasures and hidden secrets

Captin Midnight,

I apologize for taking so long to be back in touch, have you already been? I will have to call my family for a great current listing for the Melbourne area.

My favorite "treasures" at Vero are:

-Go through the tunnel to the lake on the other side of the highway. There are beautiful trails surrounding the lake you can walk. Very peaceful. Interesting foliage, especially if you are from the Midwest.
-The chicken salad platter served at Bleachers
-If you order donut holes at Bleachers, they come in a free sand pail with a shovel.

http://www.blackpearlvero.com

There are two of these. The one we have tried is on the river about 4 miles south of the DVC at Vero on the right side of A1A.
Nice place for adults. Price for two usually runs about $90 with a drink or two. Quiet atmosphere.

From another thread, alwaysrunning shared a treasure I hadn't heard of:
Originally posted by alwaysrunning
The Jungle trail is a hard dirt (or sand) packed road that runs along the River - cars can use it but the speed limit is only 15 mph. The entrance to it is only about a quarter of a mile from the resort. (about a quarter mile west on 510). We found it because it was on the map that we got when we rented bikes at EB and Flo's. It was great for running and bike riding but I think there is an observatory and some other Nature type things to do on it too. It's marked 'Historic Jungle trail' (or something like that), so I'm sure there is more to it than just a nice place to bike and run.
Great info, thanks.

Cafe du Soir is a great special-occasion meal in Vero. We went for our 16th wedding anniversary in February. We shared a red snapper special -- one of the best pieces of fish I've ever had!

This is a wonderful thread! My husband and I just had dinner with my in-laws and mother and spend a good deal of time trying to convince them we should try Vero in October after our stay at BWV. This information really helped convince them and now I get to make reservations this week! :bounce:

checking into vero in a couple of hours. thanks to this thread, i made ressies for the character breakfast tomorrow. good thing too, all the 8-10am breakfasts were gone, managed an 8:15 though.

can't wait! christine

quote:---------------------Originally posted by alwaysrunning
The Jungle trail is a hard dirt (or sand) packed road that runs along the River - cars can use it but the speed limit is only 15 mph. The entrance to it is only about a quarter of a mile from the resort. (about a quarter mile west on 510). We found it because it was on the map that we got when we rented bikes at EB and Flo's. It was great for running and bike riding but I think there is an observatory and some other Nature type things to do on it too. It's marked 'Historic Jungle trail' (or something like that), so I'm sure there is more to it than just a nice place to bike and run.---------------------------------------------Great info, thanks.
We took an "organized" bike tour going along this route starting from Eb and Flos. This is truly a treasure and by far a newfound favorite thing for me to do. Our "tour guide" gave us great historical info about this route and our 5 mile trip ended at the bird sanctuary. OMG what an EXCELLENT adventure! I can't wait to do it again on our next trip"home."

Originally posted by vbfamily
Captain Midnight,

You mean that member golf is free every day, right.

Whenever we have been there it has been $2.00 for guests and free for members-all you had to do was get the ball and putters from Eb and Flo's.

Your post is the second I've seen regarding members paying for mini golf.

Does anyone know if it is free and if it is not, when did it change?
We were at VB last December and paid for a week of mini golf for all 4 of us. Definitely worth the nominal fee. ::yes::

The Green Cabin was one of our favorites. Checkers and Chess are there for the asking, add in a late night dessert treat and you have a very happy DVC family. ::yes::

The onion rings and chicken tenders at the pool bar were also a HUGE hit. :bounce:

I can't thank you enough! i'm going to try and book one at 7months in 2006. Miracles can happen!::MickeyMo

If anyone is interested in Oceanography/Nature, there is a free lecture series at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute in Ft Pierce.The next one is tonight.Oops. On August 25th, Dr Ned Smith is giving a lecture on global warming and sea level rise. His lectures have been very interesting in the past. Harbor Branch itself is well worth visiting either on your own or on a VB Excursion.
HBOI

don't know if it's been posted already or not, but the carribean conservation corporation does turtle walks every monday night during turtle season, you have to call them directly (1-800-678-7853) to make a reservation. We of course were too late to do this, but figured it was good info to keep in mind. They have a website (www.cccturtle.org). The turtle walk was in the members newsletter. The resort does hold a lottery for turtle walks, but they only take 19 people. (on the plus side, they will only take a max of 4 people from any room, so the cottages that hold 12 people won't fill up the tour. unless of course there are 2-3 different families in them and they all get lucky and have their keys drawn :D ) Again, we didn't win this, so I have no idea if it was any good or not. We did however send dd on the turtle troup, and she loved it! (of course it helped that they dug up a leatherback nest that had hatched 3 days earlier and found one lone baby that was still trying to get out, so they got to see a baby turtle and send it out to sea) I think that program would have been worth it even without that (they saw a movie, made a beach bag, learned a lot about turtles and each kid got to pick a turtle to track (vero has adopted a few I think).

Mini golf has a length of stay for $5, which is well worth it, and it's free for members on wed.

Sonya's was 10% off dinner on wed. and we have discovered another wonderful bottle of wine! :D It's called evolution and it's bottled in oregon. It's about 15$ a bottle in the real world (42 at the resort) it's a white blend. (www.evolutionwine.com)

thanks for starting this thread, I'm saving it for our next trip in dec.

maggie

forgot one. :D we brought dd's laptop (we drove from va, she watched movies) anyhow, instead of having to use the high speed internet for 5$/30 mins, we just used the phone line in the room (loaded up netzero) and it was only 35 cents for the local calls. maggie

Anyone know of a place near Vero to rent a jet boat? I like the jet skis at Captain Hyrams, but I was also wondering about a jet boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!