• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vero Beach

busybethie

Mouseketeer
HI. I have been looking for another resale DVC contract. The VB contracts are sooo much lower in price than the other resorts.

I know that VB has higher MF's but if you could get a contract for $1000's less, would you and just paid the higher MFs for the points.

If you could get let's just say, a 100 point contract for $3,000 less. It would be $200 more a year roughly in MFs and take several years to break even.

Thoughts??

Thanks.

Beth

I tried the math on this one, you will lose.

I was looking at the $39 pp 950 contract vero
I was still going to lowball him since it hadnt moved for 6months, might still be there..

$30pp for 1000 = 30,000 7.4 a year =$ 7400 a year. Mf

$75 pp akv = 75,000 .. 5.6 a year = 5600

So you "saved" 45k on the front end but on the back end 50 yr lease you'll be paying an extra 100k in dues and vero with the hurricanes will go up higher faster so the theoretical extra 100k will be more.

Save more today pay extra in the long term..

If you bank the 45k savings into a good stock, the dividends will cover the difference in MF and if it goes up in price double triple in 50 years and you sell... Vero could be a better deal... IF

2nd, even if you found a free/cheap dvc resort Disney might buy it back....

If VB gets hammered by a hurricane or other coastal storm, you will owe even higher maintenance fees.

It looks like a sucker bet to me. There's a reason prices are lower. Too risky IMO.

Roll the dice if it suits you but don't complain if it winds up biting you.

HI. I have been looking for another resale DVC contract. The VB contracts are sooo much lower in price than the other resorts.

I know that VB has higher MF's but if you could get a contract for $1000's less, would you and just paid the higher MFs for the points.

If you could get let's just say, a 100 point contract for $3,000 less. It would be $200 more a year roughly in MFs and take several years to break even.

Thoughts??

Thanks.

Beth

If you want to stay at VB, then buy at VB. If your intention is to buy the cheap points and use them to stay at WDW, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. As the DVC membership grows and expands to non-WDW locations, there is a greater demand at 7 months for the WDW resorts. This will make future 7-month bookings more and more difficult as competition increases.

We own at AKV for our WDW stays. We book there at 11 months and if something else is available at 7 months, then we consider switching. We know that we have a room at WDW. We also own at HHI because it is a small resort that is gaining popularity, particularly over Easter/Spring Break which is when we typically visit. We use our HHI points at HHI, not at WDW. We *need* them for the 11-month window at HHI.

Vero is an awesome resort only 2 hours from WDW. We own Vero as part of our point mix and I am very happy we do. If you ever want the beach cottages in high season you have to own there and the resort is covered by insurance for hurricanes which is part of the reason the fees are higher.

We've owned at Vero and really loved it but mfs are higher but if you don't mind that then go for it. You will need to own there to get summer months and I my self have never had a problem booking at WDW 7 months out.

VB has the other (slight) risk that if Disney got restrictive they in theory could only allow stays at your home resort blocking your from the on-site properties. I don't see that happening but it could and for large financial purchases you need to manage your risks. VB is a great place to go to and my suggestion is the same as many here ... buy where you want to stay. It may cost you a little but you will have managed your risks. I also would not hesitate to buy at VB if that is where you want to be. If your goal is to get as many points as you can for the $ for DW trips and you really don't care where you stay indications are that SSR is your best bet followed by OKW then maybe BLT.

If the DVC population felt that this was a good idea, VB contracts would be non-existent on the resale market.

That has to tell you something.

:earsboy: Bill

VB Maintenance Fees have averaged more than a 5% annual increase over the last 10 years.

Most WDW DVCs are at around 3%.

At the risk of swimming against the tide if it's the upfront cost that keeps you from buying Vero is a great option at half the initial buy in cost and same points as all DVCs. If you can swing Vero for cash but would have to finance other resorts this may he a good option for you. Plus it's only 2 hours from WDW and a great beach resort. At the current dues it would take over 10 years for SSR to catch up in costs and you may have sold by then.

If the DVC population felt that this was a good idea, VB contracts would be non-existent on the resale market. That has to tell you something. :earsboy: Bill

We own 50 points at Vero, but we live very closeby and like the 11 month window should we ever be organized enough to use it:rotfl2: We also like the size of the contract. We are thinking of dumping our 200 Boardwalk points but would keep the 50 Vero points to stay members and stay a few nights a year.

That said, I don't think I'd buy a big Vero contract. I'd buy a cheapish on-site place like OKW or SSR. That is strictly from a resale perspective, though. I don't know if anyone buys in thinking that the will eventually resell, but circumstances change and you might want to someday. You want to buy something that resells easily.

Honestly, DVC is a pretty easy trade through RCI, and it's a lot cheaper than buying in. I'd study up on TUG2, buy a cheapo timeshare that I could easily give away or resell in a pinch, and trade in. That's what we do most of the time anyways, so our 200 BWV points are, at this point, not really serving any use to us. At this moment in time, I wouldn't buy into DVC in general and I definitely would not buy Vero unless it was a small 25 or 50 point contract.

I recommend buying at a resort that you wouldn't mind staying at if you couldn't trade out to something else at seven months out. So if you wouldn't mind keeping your trip at VB instead of WDW, buy VB. Or if you definitely want a beach cottage at VB or want to be there over the 4th of July, buy VB.

I will also advise sticking with a 25-20 point VB contract as they are super cheap and then you can transfer into your account BLT or BWV or VGF points and use the just like you were an owner there. this is the cheapest way to join DVC. Sure VB has higher dues, but on a 25-50 point contract it will take a long time to break even on a much more expensive VGF or BLT contract.

I will also advise sticking with a 25-20 point VB contract as they are super cheap and then you can transfer into your account BLT or BWV or VGF points and use the just like you were an owner there. this is the cheapest way to join DVC. Sure VB has higher dues, but on a 25-50 point contract it will take a long time to break even on a much more expensive VGF or BLT contract.

VB points will always be VB points. You could only use them at BLT or VGF at seven months out.

curious about Vero - we'll be staying there for the 1st time in March 2014 - see if the beach lives up to St. Pete's.

curious about Vero - we'll be staying there for the 1st time in March 2014 - see if the beach lives up to St. Pete's.

It is quite different from a Gulf Coast beach, being on the open atlantic with a lot of waves. However, I think it's a nice beach. I live nearby and love our beaches.

I am thinking about a small contract 50/100 points and paying cash. The buy in is $1,000's cheaper than the other resorts. MF's are roughly $2 a point than OKW which we currently own. The fees would be $100/200 more a year but with the cheaper buy in, it would take several years to break even.

Beth

I am thinking about a small contract 50/100 points and paying cash. The buy in is $1,000's cheaper than the other resorts. MF's are roughly $2 a point than OKW which we currently own. The fees would be $100/200 more a year but with the cheaper buy in, it would take several years to break even. Beth

There is a lot of hesitation on this board for that but I say I say go for it especially if you can pay cash for Vero but would have to finance another resort. I went for a 150 point one and I don't regret it. If you want to use them at WDW you can almost always find something at 7 months especially if you don't mind Saratoga or Key west and Vero is a great resort as well.

There is a lot of hesitation on this board for that but I say I say go for it especially if you can pay cash for Vero but would have to finance another resort. I went for a 150 point one and I don't regret it. If you want to use them at WDW you can almost always find something at 7 months especially if you don't mind Saratoga or Key west and Vero is a great resort as well.

Thanks for your thoughts. We are going to VB for the first time this June. We have always stayed at OKW and are completely happy there.

Thanks.

Beth

We are Gulf Coast fans, wide expansive beaches, white sand, warm water. Went to VB several years ago and did not like the beach. And it has been washed out a few times since we went. We now own a Gulf Coast timeshare because we wanted to go to the beach and VB just didn't cut it for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter