Vent-DD got college financial aid summary

I will probably be flamed... however...

doesn't anyone save for college? I see a couple who mentioned they did, but otherwise I see a LOT of parents upset about the amount of money the schools expect them to contribute. I am disheartened by the number of people who don't or haven't saved a penny when, in fact, you've known this day was coming since the stick turned blue! This is where sacrifice comes in; things like not taking a vacation every year, even though you feel you deserve one, choosing Pop over GF even if your credit card limit allows a stay at the GF, buying a Honda instead of an Escalade, even if the salesman says you qualify. These are the choices we make throughout our adult lives that can help or hurt our kids in the long run, when it comes time to pay for the thing that really matters... the education!

Just like those commercials on TV where the savings waddles through the living room... you must make saving and savings a part of your life.

end of rant... :goodvibes

I wouldn't flame you for a second! You are absolutely right!

My DD qualified for $3500 in federal loans and is supposed to come up with the additional $14,800 herself. She is 17. She works part time and recently most of her paycheck has been going for gas. We do have some saved, but we also have 2 younger children. If she was the only one, I might be tempted to take out a home equity loan to help her finance her education, but that would but us even more in debt. She has applied for many local scholarships so we'll see how that goes. I do think that the government should make college more affordable for those who are good students. If you are truly needy, you get aid and if you are rich you don't need aid but for those of us stuck in the middle it is a huge expense. I drive a van with 97,000 miles on it and have never stayed at the GF. We live paycheck to paycheck and don't live lavishly.

To be fair "they grow up so fast" and "you'll never have kids if you wait until you can afford them." Its easy to have kids when you are fairly young and money is tight....you'll start a college fund when you aren't searching up change from the couch for diapers. You start making a little more money, and rather than putting that money towards college - you'll do that tomorrow - you decide to reward yourself for the hard work that got you that promotion with a new car. Life happens, another baby arrives, and you manage to put off starting that college fund another year. Your kid is now ten and you know you NEED to start saving - but he really wants to play travelling baseball - and he's pretty good - and that's expensive.

Your kid goes off to college and - if you had your kids when you were in your mid 20s - they head off right as you hit your peak earning years - but you didn't make that much money until just a few years ago - how could you have saved that much. You've managed to save some - a few hundred here and there - but now you look at tuition for the first time since you went and say $20k a year!

I do think that the government should make college more affordable for those who are good students.

But the governments do make college very affordable. I'm sure there is a Community College very close to you.

I do think that the government should make college more affordable for those who are good students.

Do you really want your taxes increased so that college is more affordable for someone else's kid? Because you'll pay one way or another - either she pays for her education, or you pay in taxes for everyone else's. Personally, this is one area where I'd rather see government make reasonable efforts - like providing state schools that are half the cost of private colleges, or community colleges, to making school affordable - but not making it free - or even cheap. They already provide state schools and community colleges.

Do you really want your taxes increased so that college is more affordable for someone else's kid? Because you'll pay one way or another - either she pays for her education, or you pay in taxes for everyone else's. Personally, this is one area where I'd rather see government make reasonable efforts - like providing state schools that are half the cost of private colleges, or community colleges, to making school affordable - but not making it free - or even cheap. They already provide state schools and community colleges.

:thumbsup2

It isn't as though schools are raking in the profits. It costs a lot to run a campus.

Great sentence. I will remember this when we discuss options after April 1 when ds is debating free school vs others that will likely not be free schools. You are right. We knew it wouldn't be free (this one option that is is a great opportunity, but the choice should still be his) and if ds wants one of the ones that isn't, I should be happy that he has found a place he can call home.:)
I agree with your earlier opinion on this, that the cost matters and should be factored into the decision. It's likely that your son will be happy no matter where he goes. He will find friends and a niche for himself. I don't know the schools he's considering, but sometimes a big school is better than a small one because it's easier to find a group for yourself. A small school can be easier to navigate, and more friendly. A big school may have more services and choices.

My parents let me choose the school and didn't try to influence me at all. I wish they had, because I would have made a different decision and still been happy. They would have spent less money, too! I didn't choose the most expensive school, so they were happy, but a state school would have been better for several reasons.

I think it's a big decision for an 18 year old to make, especially if they're not paying for it.

That nephew I've mentioned before is going to a state school, but not in his own state. To me, that seems silly, as he will be paying more than most of the other people there. It would irk me to no end to be paying full price when others have a discount code. :)

I work at a state university. The amount that the state contributes to higher education in my state has plummeted in the last 15 years. Tuition has gone up accordingly.

Yes, I do think the government should be investing more in higher education, and yes, I wouldn't mind a tax increase to fund it.

So what do you do when you have a child that wants a career in a field that not many colleges offer? And the colleges that do offer that major are running around $35,000 for room and board and fees? Not counting transportation?

My daughter has wanted to be an entomologist (study of bugs) since she was 2 years old. Not many schools offer it. The only state school we have that does offer it will still run us $28,000+ per year. I highly doubt we will qualify for any "free" money. My daughter has been working hard in school so that she can try for scholarships, and is in the top 10% of her class, but she has to actually work for her grades, so schools may not look at her as scholarship material since she has not been "straight A's", although she does take honors courses. Our state school is also very competitive, and has already stated to us that it may not necessarily take local college course credit because their curriculum is much tougher, and it would not be fair to the student. Out-of-state schools that she is looking at offer no guarantee that her community college credits will be accepted. This is a bummer, since my daughter is going to high school in the morning and community college in the afternoon, hoping to graduate high school with 20 credit hours, thinking this would help in affording college. Even if her credits were accepted, we would still be looking to pay over $90,000 for 3 years!

Perhaps we made a mistake because my husband and I felt it was most important for him to work long hours so that I could stay home with our children. I don't regret this at all, for my joy in life has been raising my daughters (and their friends that rely on me since their own parents are not always fortunate enough to be able to take off of work). I have helped the family where I could, dog walking and working as an outside travel agent, but still, my husband's income is what we live on. We have always lived frugally, no McDonald's, rarely eating out, I don't shop at Nieman Marcus or Von Maur, we drive 10 and 11 year old vehicles, we have the smallest home in our subdivision, but we live in an area with a good school district, so we are ok with that.

We may have made another mistake in thinking that family trips were important. I felt it was beneficial for us to spend time away from the stresses of school and home life and enjoy being together in different places. I have shown my children many parts of this world (not just Epcot:) ) so that they can realize they are part of something bigger than just their own little part of America. From so many posts here, I was wrong to make staying home and vacations an important thing in our lives. Yet, I have 2 daughters that know geography and understand the political systems in many countries and realize that "one size fits all" does not always work in government, and most importantly, my daughters understand that what they do can have an impact on others, be it a smile to a small child sitting next to a stall on a dirt road in some far-off country to recycling in hopes of saving the Arctic ice for the polar bears (which is what my youngest plans on doing for her career). But being aware of one's place in this world does not pay for college, unfortunately!

I have two daughters. One after the other will be off to college. I do not know how we will afford this. I believe it is wrong to be expected to take all my equity out of my home and drain our savings to pay for one daughter's college, then having nothing left for the other daughter. There is something wrong when people that make their family a priority are unable to send their daughter to a school that will provide her with an education in the field that she has been dreaming of since she was two years old!

I do not know what the solution is. We have friends that are already sending their children to college, and they tell us to empty our bank accounts and put the money into pop-up campers because you can always sell those. Not feasible where we live, but it works for that family! Another family tells us to take the money out of savings and put it into a safety deposit box, or give it to my parents and have them hold it in their name. I don't know. We have some money saved for both girls, we always thought college would be more affordable (it has been years since DH and I have attended!) and that the money saved would be there for our girls when they graduated, to help them begin their lives. We were wrong.

So my DH and I sit here, worrying over college for our daughters. Yet, we continue to live as we have been, saving where we can but yet using some money to enjoy our lives and spend time with our daughters while they are still home. A few of our friends say that they paid their own way through college, their parents didn't help, and they appreciated their education that much more. Guess we could do that. Nowhere is it written that parents must provide an education beyond 16. Yet, that doesn't seem like the perfect answer for us, either.

Many times, I wish the U.S. school system valued their children and the education system more. I come from a country where college is free. However, you pay big taxes to provide that (and other things). I live in America though, this is where my children were born, and struggling to provide your children with a good education so that they can have a good future is the American way now. At least, that is how my friends and I look at it. I wish it was easier, I wish I had answers for school, I wish my daughter was valedictorian!;) Instead, I shall keep hoping that someone here finds the answer.

Many times, I wish the U.S. school system valued their children and the education system more. I come from a country where college is free. However, you pay big taxes to provide that (and other things). I live in America though, this is where my children were born, and struggling to provide your children with a good education so that they can have a good future is the American way now. At least, that is how my friends and I look at it. I wish it was easier, I wish I had answers for school, I wish my daughter was valedictorian!;) Instead, I shall keep hoping that someone here finds the answer.

Why should the US school system value your child's education more than you do? You are making your priorities. They aren't your child's college and career. But you want/wish for others to pick up the tab! Good grief.

My mom couldn't afford to send us to college, so we all worked for our degrees. We took out loans, and have paid them. Personally. My life, my responsibility. Life isn't easy.

Honestly, I didn't read all 8 pages because I had a feeling this was going into a debate that I shouldn't participate in so forgive me if this has already been stated.... Any loan amount that you have been approved for should be able to be transferred into college work study money if you don't want to take the loans. Going and actually talking to the financial aid counselors at the school really is your best bet, sometimes they can tweak packages to make them fit better given individual circumstances. And I would apply for any and every scholarship out there - you never know and every dime will help ;)

We have to cash flow our oldest, 2nd has her college fund done already and 3 and 4 should by the time we get there - just not looking forward to cash flowing #1!

Good luck!

That nephew I've mentioned before is going to a state school, but not in his own state. To me, that seems silly, as he will be paying more than most of the other people there. It would irk me to no end to be paying full price when others have a discount code. :)

I COMPLETELY agree with this! If my child wanted to go to a large public institution, it would be in our home state. Why pay for UNC when when you can go to UVA for a fraction. Why VA Tech when NC State offers similar but in state for NC residents. I completely agree on that. We discouraged public schools for a lot of reasons. We discouraged universities for a lot of reasons. But, he came up with his own list of matches for himself.

I think DS will factor costs into his decision. He is like me in that respect. But I won't force him to take free school over not free school in the end. But, he wouldn't have applied anywhere he wouldn't have been happy.......hummmm. This is going to be a wild ride come April 1!

Originally Posted by Gillian View Post

That nephew I've mentioned before is going to a state school, but not in his own state. To me, that seems silly, as he will be paying more than most of the other people there. It would irk me to no end to be paying full price when others have a discount code.

This isn't always true, different schools have different financial aid packages available - I was accepted to an out of state private school that was going to give me tons more in scholarships than the in-state state school I ultimately picked (much to my parent's dismay - of course they never discussed finances so I didn't know). It does make sense though - that the state residents pay taxes and therefore should get a discount...:confused3

I work at a state university. The amount that the state contributes to higher education in my state has plummeted in the last 15 years. Tuition has gone up accordingly.

Yes, I do think the government should be investing more in higher education, and yes, I wouldn't mind a tax increase to fund it.

Unfortunately, most people don't vote that way - we repeatedly elect people who promise to cut taxes. We repeatedly find that the public does not support more dollars to public education - either at the elementary/secondary levels or at post secondary levels.

I happen to live in a state where we still put at least some money towards education - though not as much as we used to. Other states do as well. Of course, the state I live in has really high taxes as a result - and a lot of people leave this state to go live in states with lower taxes. Which has put pressure on the state to cut taxes - which has put pressure on the state to cut services - and higher education is one that gets cut.

I'm a liberal, I'm one of those nutcases that supports higher taxes - but you and I are rare birds - and not many people will vote with us. And given our curent economy, I'm not sure I'd choose to invest what tax dollars are available to the state in higher education.

So what do you do when you have a child that wants a career in a field that not many colleges offer? And the colleges that do offer that major are running around $35,000 for room and board and fees? Not counting transportation?

My daughter has wanted to be an entomologist (study of bugs) since she was 2 years old. Not many schools offer it. The only state school we have that does offer it will still run us $28,000+ per year. I highly doubt we will qualify for any "free" money. My daughter has been working hard in school so that she can try for scholarships, and is in the top 10% of her class, but she has to actually work for her grades, so schools may not look at her as scholarship material since she has not been "straight A's", although she does take honors courses. Our state school is also very competitive, and has already stated to us that it may not necessarily take local college course credit because their curriculum is much tougher, and it would not be fair to the student. Out-of-state schools that she is looking at offer no guarantee that her community college credits will be accepted. This is a bummer, since my daughter is going to high school in the morning and community college in the afternoon, hoping to graduate high school with 20 credit hours, thinking this would help in affording college. Even if her credits were accepted, we would still be looking to pay over $90,000 for 3 years!

Perhaps we made a mistake because my husband and I felt it was most important for him to work long hours so that I could stay home with our children. I don't regret this at all, for my joy in life has been raising my daughters (and their friends that rely on me since their own parents are not always fortunate enough to be able to take off of work). I have helped the family where I could, dog walking and working as an outside travel agent, but still, my husband's income is what we live on. We have always lived frugally, no McDonald's, rarely eating out, I don't shop at Nieman Marcus or Von Maur, we drive 10 and 11 year old vehicles, we have the smallest home in our subdivision, but we live in an area with a good school district, so we are ok with that.

We may have made another mistake in thinking that family trips were important. I felt it was beneficial for us to spend time away from the stresses of school and home life and enjoy being together in different places. I have shown my children many parts of this world (not just Epcot:) ) so that they can realize they are part of something bigger than just their own little part of America. From so many posts here, I was wrong to make staying home and vacations an important thing in our lives. Yet, I have 2 daughters that know geography and understand the political systems in many countries and realize that "one size fits all" does not always work in government, and most importantly, my daughters understand that what they do can have an impact on others, be it a smile to a small child sitting next to a stall on a dirt road in some far-off country to recycling in hopes of saving the Arctic ice for the polar bears (which is what my youngest plans on doing for her career). But being aware of one's place in this world does not pay for college, unfortunately!

I have two daughters. One after the other will be off to college. I do not know how we will afford this. I believe it is wrong to be expected to take all my equity out of my home and drain our savings to pay for one daughter's college, then having nothing left for the other daughter. There is something wrong when people that make their family a priority are unable to send their daughter to a school that will provide her with an education in the field that she has been dreaming of since she was two years old!

I do not know what the solution is. We have friends that are already sending their children to college, and they tell us to empty our bank accounts and put the money into pop-up campers because you can always sell those. Not feasible where we live, but it works for that family! Another family tells us to take the money out of savings and put it into a safety deposit box, or give it to my parents and have them hold it in their name. I don't know. We have some money saved for both girls, we always thought college would be more affordable (it has been years since DH and I have attended!) and that the money saved would be there for our girls when they graduated, to help them begin their lives. We were wrong.

So my DH and I sit here, worrying over college for our daughters. Yet, we continue to live as we have been, saving where we can but yet using some money to enjoy our lives and spend time with our daughters while they are still home. A few of our friends say that they paid their own way through college, their parents didn't help, and they appreciated their education that much more. Guess we could do that. Nowhere is it written that parents must provide an education beyond 16. Yet, that doesn't seem like the perfect answer for us, either.

It's all about choices I guess. You're lucky you got to stay home with your kids - me, I didn't have that choice. I was very, very lucky and had parents who bought into a pre-paid tuition program when my daughter was very young. Then she got a scholarship (FL has a great program) and because of my income qualified for some small grants (very small). To top that off we live in a town that has a great state college and all she ever wanted to be was a FL GATOR:cheer2: She knew she had to live at home because room and board was out of the question! 2 more classes to go and she'll be out of college with no student loans :woohoo: although we would have taken them out if that was our only option.

It's too late to question the decisions you made when your kids were young. Maybe you could go back to work now to help with costs.

This is an interesting thread, and I have not read every post, so forgive me if I repeat anything. My children have a few years left before college (14 and 12 YO) and we have NOTHING for college. Like this poster, I spent the first several years at home with the kids believing that for our family it was a better situation than daycare costs. I have always wokred at least part time and when the youngest went to 1st grade I started full time work. Even with that, we live in an expensive part of the US and were only able to purchase our own home a year ago.

I would love to be able to tell my children to apply without concern to every University they think will suit their needs. That just won't happen. We will help them in whatever way we may be able to, they will have to make their choices with our guidance as they will have college debt when they finish school, and I am hopeful that they will receive financial aid and scholarships or some kind. DH and I worked our way through college. It was tough, I would have liked to have been able to go to a bigger school and live in the dorms and have that experience, but I am not scarred for life for lack of a private, 4 year, sleep away collegiate experience.

People need to give people a break to do the best they can and live with making the best out of their situation. Quit judging. Quit making people feel badly. We all make our choices feeling like it is the best choice at that time and praying that it will all work out. I respect your choices for your daughters and your family. They may not have been the bright, curious, excited young women that they are if you had done things differently. It will work out somehow!!

We may have made another mistake in thinking that family trips were important. I felt it was beneficial for us to spend time away from the stresses of school and home life and enjoy being together in different places. I have shown my children many parts of this world (not just Epcot ) so that they can realize they are part of something bigger than just their own little part of America. From so many posts here, I was wrong to make staying home and vacations an important thing in our lives. Yet, I have 2 daughters that know geography and understand the political systems in many countries and realize that "one size fits all" does not always work in government, and most importantly, my daughters understand that what they do can have an impact on others, be it a smile to a small child sitting next to a stall on a dirt road in some far-off country to recycling in hopes of saving the Arctic ice for the polar bears (which is what my youngest plans on doing for her career). But being aware of one's place in this world does not pay for college, unfortunately!

I'm not saying you made a mistake or didn't make a mistake. I'm saying ... that was the choice you made and when the day comes when you have an 18 year old wanting to go to bug school, those will be the consequences you will have to deal with. At some point in time, we all make choices with our money. You chose to be a SAHM and travel with your children, it wasn't forced upon you.

I think we all wish that there was some warm and fuzzy scholarship agency or government out there that would just be chomping at the bit to pay for those lifelong dreams that we hold and our children hold.

I'm quite sure the Armed Forces still offer Tuition Assistance.

In answer to your question, most SAHMs that I personally know have gone back to work when their kids are in high school, nearing college age...they are then able to contribute their salary to the college tuition bills. I may be wrong, but from your post it sounds like you are still at home? :confused3

It's all about choices I guess. You're lucky you got to stay home with your kids - me, I didn't have that choice. I was very, very lucky and had parents who bought into a pre-paid tuition program when my daughter was very young. Then she got a scholarship (FL has a great program) and because of my income qualified for some small grants (very small). To top that off we live in a town that has a great state college and all she ever wanted to be was a FL GATOR:cheer2: She knew she had to live at home because room and board was out of the question! 2 more classes to go and she'll be out of college with no student loans :woohoo: although we would have taken them out if that was our only option.

It's too late to question the decisions you made when your kids were young. Maybe you could go back to work now to help with costs.

My step sister did that for my nieces. They live in Jacksonville. Our parents have since divorced and I don't know what her girls ended up doing for college, but I always thought that was a great plan!

As for everyone else, the only way I was able to afford my 30k per year school was because my father passed away. My uncle wisely invested my life insurance proceeds and that helped me with tuition and at the end of school what was left was enough for a down payment on a car (which I am still driving 9 years later).

I finance my law school tuition and most of my living expenses on my own through Stafford loans and private loans. I even chose to go to a state school for my law school education and only had to pay around 10k for each year. I have about 100k in student loans for all of my education, and I only have that much because I chose not to work while I was in law school.

My BFF had to take out loans and agreed with her parents that she had to pay back the loans that they took out for her education. Everyone I know has some form of loans and that is the only way to get your education.

If your child wants to study in a field that is extremely specialized, you either need to suck it up and help them by taking out loans for their education or they need to find a way to pay on their own. I absolutely think that the government should do more to assist in higher education, but until we have law makers that take action on it, people need to figure out a way to do it on their own.

Honestly, I didn't read all 8 pages because I had a feeling this was going into a debate that I shouldn't participate in so forgive me if this has already been stated.... Any loan amount that you have been approved for should be able to be transferred into college work study money if you don't want to take the loans. Going and actually talking to the financial aid counselors at the school really is your best bet, sometimes they can tweak packages to make them fit better given individual circumstances. And I would apply for any and every scholarship out there - you never know and every dime will help ;)

We have to cash flow our oldest, 2nd has her college fund done already and 3 and 4 should by the time we get there - just not looking forward to cash flowing #1!

Good luck!

This was *definitely* not the case at the public school I worked at. Work study funding is still a need-based program. The government is subsidizing a percentage of the wages for that student so that the employer only needs to pay partial wages, so there is an issue of "real" dollars allotted to the program to worry about. It was, in fact, our tightest program, and we could never offer more than $1500 per year per student. We awarded it evenly to those who qualified to be as equitable as possible, and would not have given a student tens of thousands of workstudy dollars. It can't hurt to ask, especially at a private university with lots of university-specific rather than federal campus-based work study, but I cannot imagine it being offered in very many places.

In our state, it used to be that if you had at least $1 of work study awarded to you, you would qualify for food stamps. We would have students begging us to place that $1 on their award package. Clearly you cannot work a work-study job with just one dollar, and we felt it best to make actual, workable awards to those who qualified rather than simply make everyone eligible for food stamps; you can't award aid with other benefits like that in mind. The program has since changed to require students to show proof of working the work study job, rather than just an award letter with an offer of any amount of work study.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter