Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Hi everyone! My husband and I are finally heading back to WDW for the first time since 2011 (financial troubles prevented us). I've been listening to many Disney podcasts as we planned. The other day I heard a listener question on a favorite show where they asked about quick service and specified "strict vegetarian." I was sad, but not surprised when the info given was not helpful. It made me wonder if there are any veg friendly Disney podcasts. I searched and didn't find any (please link if you know of some). So my husband and I sat down and recorded what is hopefully the first of many podcasts for veg friendly Disney!
A friend of mine said I should come pimp it here so here I am. Please check it out if you have time :) You all probably know more about all these than we do, since we haven't been down in years, but hopefully we'll at least be entertaining.
http://vegdisney.com & https://soundcloud.com/vegdisneypodcast
Thanks!

Hi. I made a reservation for BOG breakfast. I'm a vegan nobody else is. They really want to eat in MK before the park opens. Will I find anything to eat?

Hi. I made a reservation for BOG breakfast. I'm a vegan nobody else is. They really want to eat in MK before the park opens. Will I find anything to eat?

We had breakfast there a couple of years ago and I am vegan. I forget what I had but they made a vegan meal for me, with vegan pastries and fruit.

We had breakfast there a couple of years ago and I am vegan. I forget what I had but they made a vegan meal for me, with vegan pastries and fruit.

I would call ahead and say your vegan. I did the with Ohana's breakfast and it was fantastic .

They will bring out Erin McKenna pastries and the allergy waffles for you! You can request them
when you order in advance. Check out the Vegan Walt Disneyworld blog - they did a post on this recently.

You definitely won't starve, it looks like tons of food!

Would anyone mind sharing what vegan foods they brought with them into the parks? I don't want to bring all my own foods but I'm considering packing a cooler with vegan condiments (like eggless mayo) to use on stuff and things like some seitan meat to add to starchy snacks or vegan sliced cheese to add to a veggie burger. Any tricks or tips?

What you're proposing sounds like more work to me.

Although I've found WDW lacking in the ovo-lacto veggie department recently they tend to do very well for vegans who already need to special order.

I'd just go with what they offer, and supplement with snacky type bars and such.

To sit at lunch having a veggie burger (do they have vegan burgers?), pulling some Daiya out of a baggie just isn't something I would do.

And this is coming from my Disneyland background, but that park has traditionally frowned on ingredients. A fully made pbj is one thing. A jar of pb, jar of jam, and loaf of bread is a totally different thing. At DL at least.

Although I've found WDW lacking in the ovo-lacto veggie department recently they tend to do very well for vegans who already need to special order.

I'd just go with what they offer, and supplement with snacky type bars and such.

To sit at lunch having a veggie burger (do they have vegan burgers?), pulling some Daiya out of a baggie just isn't something I would do.

And this is coming from my Disneyland background, but that park has traditionally frowned on ingredients. A fully made pbj is one thing. A jar of pb, jar of jam, and loaf of bread is a totally different thing. At DL at least.

Thank you for the detailed response!

I tend to really rely on condiments for my food enjoyment so it's just alarming to see stuff like "have a plain pretzel" or "veggie burger with no cheese". I guess my opinion is if I've paid for the vacation and food and Disney won't provide more vegan food items, why should I go without adding my own stuff. To me bringing some vegan stuff to spice up the food wouldn't be a big deal.

Good to know its kind of frowned on though. I honestly wouldn't want to put any CMs in a bad position. Here's keeping my fingers crossed they keep adding more vegan options throughout!

I tend to really rely on condiments for my food enjoyment so it's just alarming to see stuff like "have a plain pretzel" or "veggie burger with no cheese". I guess my opinion is if I've paid for the vacation and food and Disney won't provide more vegan food items, why should I go without adding my own stuff. To me bringing some vegan stuff to spice up the food wouldn't be a big deal.

Good to know its kind of frowned on though. I honestly wouldn't want to put any CMs in a bad position. Here's keeping my fingers crossed they keep adding more vegan options throughout!
What you are planning sounds fine to me. I agree with you, why limit yourself to plain food if you can make it tasty by adding some vegan cheese or mayo. I'm a vegetarian and lately it has been difficult to find something with any protein other than cheese and I can't tolerate much cheese, nor do I want to eat it at every meal. Your idea to bring some seitan sounds good to me. I don't see why Disney would have any problem with you doing this. They won't cook it or warm it for you but I'm not aware that anyone cares if you bring it into the parks, especially since it's just a few packets of vegan mayo, a sandwich baggie of seitan and a slice or two of vegan cheese. I say go for it if you don't mind carrying it around with you. You mention bringing a cooler. What sort of cooler and what will you use to keep your food cold?

I don't think it's a problem at WDW to bring in food. At Disneyland you have non-Disney restaurants literally across the street from the parks, not so at Disney World. Outside food is less of a big deal. Condiments in particular probably wouldn't get a second glance. I don't think I'd bother bringing seitan or Daiya, but I personally don't like carrying much around the parks. I think if I went that far I'd just make myself a meal.

What you are planning sounds fine to me. I agree with you, why limit yourself to plain food if you can make it tasty by adding some vegan cheese or mayo. I'm a vegetarian and lately it has been difficult to find something with any protein other than cheese and I can't tolerate much cheese, nor do I want to eat it at every meal. Your idea to bring some seitan sounds good to me. I don't see why Disney would have any problem with you doing this. They won't cook it or warm it for you but I'm not aware that anyone cares if you bring it into the parks, especially since it's just a few packets of vegan mayo, a sandwich baggie of seitan and a slice or two of vegan cheese. I say go for it if you don't mind carrying it around with you. You mention bringing a cooler. What sort of cooler and what will you use to keep your food cold?

I was thinking a small soft cooler like an insulated lunch bag with some ice packs in it would be adequate! It would just have a couple meal additives like Daiya, Just Mayo packets, and sliced seitan. My toddler is also vegan so we would bring some snacks for him too but I hear WDW has a lot of fruit carts!

Part of my concern is a lot of the vegan options at WDW seem very carb heavy, and I'm a powerlifter so I try to take in a lot of protein. Adding seitan to food is a good way for me to do it without having to scour the park for lentils or beans, haha.

We're already going to be toting a toddler with a stroller and his stuff so adding a lunch cooler shouldn't be too big of a bother.

Hi! Many of the restaurants will offer the Gardein "chicken" products. I've found this at several different restaurants when we were there the end of April - much better selections than our previous trip a year prior. Places that have veggie burgers should also have vegan versions if it is not the menu standard. Coral Reef, Jiko, Garden Grill, Tangerine Cafe, Be Our Guest, and more -- we have many favorites. Although not fully vegan, I opt for those choices when they are there. Otherwise, I'll do ovo-lacto vegetarian. Been doing the Disney veggie thing for about 15 years now.

Last edited:
I'm super glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the decline in vegetarian protein options. We stayed offsite this trip and although we mostly ate at the parks, I think I ended up with the best balanced diet I've had at WDW in a long time.

I also have a mushroom allergy, and that seems to be getting increasingly harder to avoid. Pop in particular has mushroom in every one of its veg dishes (save cheese pizza.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter