Vegan at Palo?

spacecanada

DIS Veteran
We're vegan, so we don't consume any animal products (meat, fish, eggs, dairy, gelatin, etc.). I also cannot have dairy, walnuts, or alcohol due to allergies. We usually get exceptional service and food in the main dining rooms; we're spoilt there already.

My question is, would it be worth it to have a meal at Palos one evening? We would love to dine in the ambiance of Palos or Remys but the menus are anything but vegan. Would they make us something we ould eat there as well? Salad doesn't count.

Thoughts? Has anyone with a special diet dined in Palos and could offer some opinions?

We're vegan, so we don't consume any animal products (meat, fish, eggs, dairy, gelatin, etc.). I also cannot have dairy, walnuts, or alcohol due to allergies. We usually get exceptional service and food in the main dining rooms; we're spoilt there already.

My question is, would it be worth it to have a meal at Palos one evening? We would love to dine in the ambiance of Palos or Remys but the menus are anything but vegan. Would they make us something we ould eat there as well? Salad doesn't count.

Thoughts? Has anyone with a special diet dined in Palos and could offer some opinions?

Some how I do not see Palo as a choice for some one who is vegan,definitely not the brunch.

Rob

For a vegetarian it's easy to be taken care of at Palo, but for a vegan I would think your choices would be extremely limited.

For a family that deals with an egg allergy; we find ourselves frequently knowing what is not "Vegan". For many years there was a dairy allergy paired with that egg allergy so we really understood. I am telling you right now, I would never pay the money to dine at Palo/Remy to request outside Vegan food. There really is nothing you can enjoy there. Vegetarian possible; but Vegan.... No.... The choices are just not that great in number. I have several past thread links to Vegan threads; let me see if I can find a couple. That has been everyone's feelings.

I'm trying Remy as a vegan and gluten free on my cruise on the 27th. will let you know how it goes..

My husband and I are vegetarian (no meat, seafood, geletain, chicken, but we do eat dairy) and have dined at Palo four times. They always go out of their way to make us delicious meals and we are always very satisfied. When we tell our waiter about our food restrictions they go over everything that is vegetarian or could be altered to make vegetarian. I'm not sure about total vegan options but there is plenty of vegetarian alternatives.

My husband and I are vegetarian (no meat, seafood, geletain, chicken, but we do eat dairy) I'm not sure about total vegan options but there is plenty of vegetarian alternatives.

Exactly. Easy to do "real" Italian as a vegetarian, but not as a vegan. All of the pasta is fresh pasta and uses eggs. Makes it yummy.... but a no no.... Most of all of the sauces are creamy ones and are dairy based. I have a hard time at Palo for dinner just because I have a dairy intolerance. So I am limited and that is not a restriction, just a caution. Even the pizza in Palo has eggs in the crust. I could easily tolerate a vegetarian diet in life, but trust me, when you do away with ALL dairy (eggs, cheese, butter and milk) the choices go down to :scared1: I just know how restricted we are due to eggs. When DD was allergic to milk; we even had issues with bread on th ship.... Now when she was 4 after our 2nd cruise, I wrote a really long letter to DCL. Just asking them to buy some cheap boxed pasta for spaghetti. At that time ALL of the pasta was fresh. I am happy to say, now the kids menu and the buffet has cheap/boxed pasta :woohoo:. Took a couple of years though. So VEGAN is tough! I love Vegan people as they help make a path for us :hug: Now that they are pushing a Vegan lifestyle on Oprah & GMA; maybe there will be more choices in our future!:thumbsup2

Thank you for all the comments, everyone. I guess Palo and Remy will be out for us, at least for now.

I ate at Remy and noted I was vegan and gluten and dairy allergies. My meal was excellent and it was definitely something I will do again. I'm going to do a blog report on my meal.

Yay, that's great news!! It's too late to pre-book Palo for our cruise in April, but we'll see if there's room available when we confirm our diet and allergies with the dining team on embarkation day. I'll keep an eye out for your blog post. Thank you!

your best bet is to go to the area where they have "dining changes" (example dlounge on the dream ) and speak with the restaurant manager. they will handle everything for you.

Also I suggest contact special services in advance, request agave nectar, soymilk, alternative ice cream, etc..

I've been to Palo many, many times - and every time we tell them we are vegetarian, they are careful to ask us specifically if we are lacto, ovo, vegan. We're lacto-ovo - but the fact that they ask if we are vegan may insinuate that they have vegan options =) They are always very happy to make things "from scratch" and straying pretty far from the menu if needed, too.

I ate at Remy and noted I was vegan and gluten and dairy allergies. My meal was excellent and it was definitely something I will do again. I'm going to do a blog report on my meal.

Did you ever end up doing a write up about your vegan meal at Remy? I am going on my first cruise as a vegan and wondering what will be available and if paying for the "extra" dining options will be worth it. Thanks in advance for any info!

@InSearchofMagic - We've cruised as vegan with other food allergies for years and have always had great food. Disney even had vegan veggie burgers onboard at the quick service place by the pool and non-dairy ice cream and sorbets in the dining rooms. :) You'll be in good hands.

I am interested in the blog post as well. A link would be great.

@InSearchofMagic - We've cruised as vegan with other food allergies for years and have always had great food. Disney even had vegan veggie burgers onboard at the quick service place by the pool and non-dairy ice cream and sorbets in the dining rooms. :) You'll be in good hands.

I am interested in the blog post as well. A link would be great.

I am interested in the blog as well. I am told that Palo is Italian & Remy is French (I have only done the Magic/Wonder) so therefore different food. As far as the veggie burgers, what did you do for a bun? The buns have eggs? Yes I have done the soy icecream as well. They use to have Rice too, but in March they told me they only had soy. What elese did you eat at quick service? No one is yet answering that for me? I know French fries and fruit but what else?:confused3

I did write my overall report. Waiting for it to get posted. I'm writing Remy this week.

They should have ener-g buns, which are gluten free and vegan. I did not eat anything but fruit at quick service, they did offer salad. I usually ate at Cabana's or where my room mates wanted to.

Going back on the dream in about 3 weeks

Note on the ship, I was able to get a vegan gluten free cake made ( it was ok, not as good as babycakes) I didn't ask for sorbet. I did bring my own cookies (enjoy life ) I did get a gluten free vegan pizza (I had them use tofu as cheese) it wasn't as good as daiya but not bad.

My other half I'd vegetarian, though not vegan, but becomes I'll if there is cross contamination with animal flesh or seafood. We've always found Palo to be great. I agree with the comment of speaking with the restaurant manager in advance.

If if you have a reservation, I rather than waiting I queue at the bar, I would ask Guest Services to make an appointment with the Palo manager.

I would think that a chat and advanced prep would make it easy to accomodate your needs.

I did write my overall report. Waiting for it to get posted. I'm writing Remy this week.

They should have ener-g buns, which are gluten free and vegan. I did not eat anything but fruit at quick service, they did offer salad. I usually ate at Cabana's or where my room mates wanted to.

Going back on the dream in about 3 weeks

Yes, these were the ones they gave us in March. We carried them around with us. They gave us the entire package. My DD was not a huge fan, but they did work. I actually posted that in my comment. With the salad, we just had an issue with the salad dressing. We got pizza made from Palo that was egg free for dinner but had to preorder it. We had to preorder everything though, as it was a big deal to order french fries since they refused to cook them in the same oil as the chicken tenders etc. So we had to preorder the night before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter