Vacation pricing help

allie_to_you

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes...
Ok, needing some help. We are about to book our trip for next September and trying to decide if we want to go moderate instead of value. We were quoted a price for my DH, myself and 5 year old DD of approx $5750 for a HA Moderate resort package for 9 nights.

I checked on the prices for the DDP for 2017 and for 9 nights and the regular Dining Plan comes out to be $1,429.92 for the 9 nights.

So, my question is...if we book our packages now and assuming we get free dining for next September, would that total dining plan prices just come off our package price of $5750 making the package price $4321?

You would have to call and make those changes. You can book now, but the free dining is another package. Unless you are going through an agent you would need to call.

Ok, needing some help. We are about to book our trip for next September and trying to decide if we want to go moderate instead of value. We were quoted a price for my DH, myself and 5 year old DD of approx $5750 for a HA Moderate resort package for 9 nights.

I checked on the prices for the DDP for 2017 and for 9 nights and the regular Dining Plan comes out to be $1,429.92 for the 9 nights.

So, my question is...if we book our packages now and assuming we get free dining for next September, would that total dining plan prices just come off our package price of $5750 making the package price $4321?
No. You would have to call Disney to see if a room at your resort is available under the *free* dining offer for the dates that you will be there. If it is, they will change your reservation to reflect the new package and pricing. If not, you can choose to book a different room that falls under the plan or to pay the prevailing price for your existing package.

I am booking through an agent who will handle applying any discounts to our package. All I am needing to know is that if free dining ends up applying to our dates, will the amount of $1429 for the dining plan be taken off our package price.

I am booking through an agent who will handle applying any discounts to our package. All I am needing to know is that if free dining ends up applying to our dates, will the amount of $1429 for the dining plan be taken off our package price.

If you end up being able to book free dining then you would only end up paying the rack room rate and park tickets, etc. If you end up booking value then of course you would still have the out of pocket difference between the quick service dining plan and the regular dining plan.

Just so you are aware, if there are any price increases in room or tickets between now and free dining release you will have to pay the difference once your ta adds on the promo. So while that amount may get you near the total you are projected to pay it may not be completely accurate once the discount is released.

As PP poster noted, if you add the FD to your reservation, you lose any existing room discount that may have been applied. Calculating the price difference can only be estimated if you provide what the breakdown was of the original $5700+ pricing. If that was the package without a discount (at rack rate with DDP), then FD would lower your total cost. With FD, you would lose any applied discount so your cost difference would be the net of prior and new discounts, plus/minus any taxes associated. Sometimes FD can cost more in the end depending on the discount and resort. A 30% room discount for Deluxe as an example is typically a better deal than FD for us. Moderate, it depends on the resort and discount %. Sometimes it saves and sometimes it doesn't. I know, not a clear answer. Welcome to the Disney discounts.

Not exactly.

In short, WDW math never comes out that neat and pretty.

The price you are thinking is a good rough estimate, if that helps.

Personally, having used a TA, and having booked many trips myself, I preferred doing it myself.

Booking so far in advance doesn't really do much for you.

There's no promise WDW will offer that deal for your exact date and preferred location. Suppose you want to stay at hotel X. If WDW sees that hotel X is already pre-booked, then hotel X will be excluded from the discount.

Are there ANY discounts on that quoted price? Are you getting park hopper or water park & more option? If there aren't any discounts and you have one of the add ons, then just subtracting the cost of the DDP is pretty accurate for right now. If you don't have one of the add ons, you need to include that cost in your math because it will be required for free dining, if it is offered. As others have said, it will depend on if the exact room, resorts, and dates line up with what is offered for free dining. You may have to get a preferred room, you may have to change resorts, you may even have to change your dates. AND as one other PP noted, if there are ANY increases in prices for tickets, you will have to pay the increased prices.

I never used a TA and always booked my family's trips myself, ever since I was 20.

We always booked a year in advance prior to any promos or discounts being available. We had a great deal about 8 years ago where free dining AND a Resort Savings became available. A simple phone call applied both discounts and saved a ton of money.

It's not that simple, as far as I understand. You're likely getting a package deal right on your room/dining etc... You will lose that discount when you switch to free dining, so it's not going to be as cut and dried as "dining plan costs $1429, so we'll get that full amount back." Free dining means full rack rate on your room instead of a discounted rate , and I believe you also have to choose at least park hopper tickets, so if you weren't planning on those, you'll have that cost, too.

A 30% room discount for Deluxe as an example is typically a better deal than FD for us. Moderate, it depends on the resort and discount %. Sometimes it saves and sometimes it doesn't. I know, not a clear answer. Welcome to the Disney discounts.
You also may end up toggling between a room only reservation and a package. Maybe not if you have already decided to do the dining plan.

Truly, as others have said, free dining isn't necessarily the best deal. The dining plan locks you into a somewhat rigid eating pattern. It isn't a savings plan, it is really just a pre-paid meal plan. Once upon a time, it WAS a good discount, but not so much any more. It depends where/how you want to eat, but generally paying for the DDP = a break even plan AT BEST.

Let me explain it this way, the last time we used DDP, it cost more than if we had not used it.

Current DDP costs $63.70 per adult per day and $22.85 for kids 3-9. Regular DDP is one TS meal (w/soft drink, dessert, entrée, and tax - but NOT gratuity) one QS meal (entrée, dessert, drink) , and one snack per person per night booked at a WDW hotel.

If you redeem your adult TS credit at 1900 Park Fare for dinner, your TS credit = $42.50-$47.70.
If you redeem same TS credit at The Plaza, it only = $23 (turkey sandch, fries, ice cream, coffee, tax)

Snack credits are worth: $1.80 (whole fruit at Starbucks) $2.65(veggie or corn at CHH), or $3.20 (drink or cookie), or $6.90 (funnel cake at SH).

Adult QS credits are worth about: $11.66 (burger), $4.24 ice cream, $3.40 drink.(Beaches poolside at BC) = $19.30

Further, DDP doesn't differentiate if you don't get all the entitlements. If you drink water and skip dessert, but use a DDP TS to pay for your Plaza meal, then the value is only $13. Buffets are fixed price, no matter how little you eat, but at a la carte places, cutting one dessert per table kinda blows the value of the DDP.

Meanwhile- you still have to factor the TIP. On the DIS we aren't supposed to discuss/debate tipping percentages, so let's not. Suffice it to say though, tips are a factor. DDP kind of encourages guests to order more expensive entrees, and ALL their entitlements. With DDP, we order dessert, usually multiple desserts. Non-DDP, we pay the bill -so we can be done, and back to the attractions!

With DDP you are locked into some crummy desserts, many QS desserts are items we don't really like, and wouldn't normally eat. It isn't accurate to value them at the price WDW charges, yet that is often where the difference lies. Same thing with soda. We don't normally drink soda every day.

Oh - DDP is generally a loss if you eat vegetarian meals!

You lose any DDP credits you don't use. If you drink water over soda, then you still kind of have to use the credit. You have flexibility in hw you sue credits, but options like signature meals, aren't really in your favor. Use two DDP credits at Citricos ( entrée: $32 to 49, dessert: about $12, drinks: not sure, but about $5) and the value is as low as $32 if you pick just the low priced entrée. If you do, than your TS credits are worth a mere $16!

Honestly, if we dine at signature places without the DDP, we typically do something like : two appetizers, one entrée, one dessert, and no soft drinks. DDP doesn't include wine!

So....I think it is fair to say - if you order all the entitlements, but pick low $ options, a day of credits is worth about $44.
If you top out the DDP (buffet, funnelcake, QS burger), you still only get to a DDP per day value of about $69. And that's eating maxing the snack credits every day. In practice, nobody does that. Most DDP users end up eating a breakfast TS (even a buffet = only about $30), and $3-4 snacks.

Just dropping to a $3 snack(instead of maxing everything), means no savings, just the headache of a rigid prepaid plan. for the average family, there is no benefit.

I never used a TA and always booked my family's trips myself, ever since I was 20.

We always booked a year in advance prior to any promos or discounts being available. We had a great deal about 8 years ago where free dining AND a Resort Savings became available. A simple phone call applied both discounts and saved a ton of money.
That was then. Lots of good deals existed in the past. I know, I used many myself!

Second, just because a discount is offered, doesn't mean there is availability.

One time, a few years back, I got a decent deal the day the offer came out. Two hours later, I would have missed out.

That's where using a TA has a slight advantage. they get better access to new discounts than the General public. But you only need to beat the release date of the discount offer. WDW won't release next year's Free dining for quite a while. If you want to use a TA to book a trip for next Sept, I'd wait a bit longer. You won't earn much interest on $200, but you'll earn something! :)

Still, the disadvantage of a TA, is that the OP can't modify her stuff herself. Is she books the value hotel -say, then changes her mind for the mod, the TA is only available during certain hours. by the time the TA is back in her office, it may be too late. Same thing with dining changes you might wish to make.

You also may end up toggling between a room only reservation and a package. Maybe not if you have already decided to do the dining plan.

Truly, as others have said, free dining isn't necessarily the best deal. The dining plan locks you into a somewhat rigid eating pattern. It isn't a savings plan, it is really just a pre-paid meal plan. Once upon a time, it WAS a good discount, but not so much any more. It depends where/how you want to eat, but generally paying for the DDP = a break even plan AT BEST.

Let me explain it this way, the last time we used DDP, it cost more than if we had not used it.

Current DDP costs $63.70 per adult per day and $22.85 for kids 3-9. Regular DDP is one TS meal (w/soft drink, dessert, entrée, and tax - but NOT gratuity) one QS meal (entrée, dessert, drink) , and one snack per person per night booked at a WDW hotel.

If you redeem your adult TS credit at 1900 Park Fare for dinner, your TS credit = $42.50-$47.70.
If you redeem same TS credit at The Plaza, it only = $23 (turkey sandch, fries, ice cream, coffee, tax)

Snack credits are worth: $1.80 (whole fruit at Starbucks) $2.65(veggie or corn at CHH), or $3.20 (drink or cookie), or $6.90 (funnel cake at SH).

Adult QS credits are worth about: $11.66 (burger), $4.24 ice cream, $3.40 drink.(Beaches poolside at BC) = $19.30

Further, DDP doesn't differentiate if you don't get all the entitlements. If you drink water and skip dessert, but use a DDP TS to pay for your Plaza meal, then the value is only $13. Buffets are fixed price, no matter how little you eat, but at a la carte places, cutting one dessert per table kinda blows the value of the DDP.

Meanwhile- you still have to factor the TIP. On the DIS we aren't supposed to discuss/debate tipping percentages, so let's not. Suffice it to say though, tips are a factor. DDP kind of encourages guests to order more expensive entrees, and ALL their entitlements. With DDP, we order dessert, usually multiple desserts. Non-DDP, we pay the bill -so we can be done, and back to the attractions!

With DDP you are locked into some crummy desserts, many QS desserts are items we don't really like, and wouldn't normally eat. It isn't accurate to value them at the price WDW charges, yet that is often where the difference lies. Same thing with soda. We don't normally drink soda every day.

Oh - DDP is generally a loss if you eat vegetarian meals!

You lose any DDP credits you don't use. If you drink water over soda, then you still kind of have to use the credit. You have flexibility in hw you sue credits, but options like signature meals, aren't really in your favor. Use two DDP credits at Citricos ( entrée: $32 to 49, dessert: about $12, drinks: not sure, but about $5) and the value is as low as $32 if you pick just the low priced entrée. If you do, than your TS credits are worth a mere $16!

Honestly, if we dine at signature places without the DDP, we typically do something like : two appetizers, one entrée, one dessert, and no soft drinks. DDP doesn't include wine!

So....I think it is fair to say - if you order all the entitlements, but pick low $ options, a day of credits is worth about $44.
If you top out the DDP (buffet, funnelcake, QS burger), you still only get to a DDP per day value of about $69. And that's eating maxing the snack credits every day. In practice, nobody does that. Most DDP users end up eating a breakfast TS (even a buffet = only about $30), and $3-4 snacks.

Just dropping to a $3 snack(instead of maxing everything), means no savings, just the headache of a rigid prepaid plan. for the average family, there is no benefit.

Yours is a really good analysis. A couple things to note:

1) You don't have to get soda for a drink at most places...you don't even have to get a drink. You can often trade the drink for something marked "snack" on a qs menu, or a bottled drink. YMMV, of course, depending on the CM.

2) Dessert is no longer an option at QS meals in 2017 (yay!!!!). Instead, you get a second snack, pushing the value up a bit. I believe the general consensus is that this change devalues the qs plan (because you lose 1 dessert) , but adds value to the regular plan.

I usually suggest people price out their dining options for themselves, to see how much the DDP costs or saves over paying out of pocket/a la carte for what you want. But the short answer these days tends towards DDP not being a great value.

So, OP, if it comes down to a free DDP offer and a room discount- your better deal is often to go for the room discount, if they look to be about even.

Then again, most people who opt to use a TA do it to make the planning process easier. :) You might not want to go through all the effort of running the math to see which configuration saves the most.

Perhaps you've explored all of your booking options, but I spent a week comparing prices with several TAs, the WDW site, and countless authorized online resellers for hotels and tickets. The best deal I located was when I assembled the hotel and tickets from different online resellers even when taking into consideration the free dining offered during our stay. Everything could be canceled a week before travel so I could keep looking after making our reservations. It was a lot of work, but we saved a lot of money.

I agree, never underestimate the value of a good cancellation policy!

I too have rebooked things to save money. More than once, I saved quite a bit because I found out about a discount via these boards.

Maybe, maybe not.

If Disney raises the rates of the rooms then you will be re-priced at the "new improved" rate when you change from your current package to your new package.

And if Free Dining is not available at your resort and/or your room category then there will be no reduction unless you change your reservation to one that does have free dining and could be an entirely different rack rate.

Last edited:
Still, the disadvantage of a TA, is that the OP can't modify her stuff herself. Is she books the value hotel -say, then changes her mind for the mod, the TA is only available during certain hours. by the time the TA is back in her office, it may be too late. Same thing with dining changes you might wish to make.

Seriously this is a major drawback to using a Disney TA. Most of them are not readily available. They are available limited hours when they aren't working other jobs or doing something else. (I have several friends who do this, all of them have full time jobs and families in addition to the TA gig. In most cases you are about the 3rd or 4th thing on their priority list)

I always book directly thru Disney. Haven't found anything a TA could do better, faster etc. TA response time is often slow and they miss discounts because they cannot/don't check for you several times each day. I do that!

If Free Dining comes out for your trip you can call and have them change your package to the Free Dining package. You'd then pay the lower rate keeping in mind that only $200 needs to be paid when booking, balance due 45 days before your trip. You'll know if FD is available long before the 45 days. Also note that its possible that a particular resort/room you may book now won't have FD rooms available for a particular date(s). You may have to change rooms/resorts in order to get FD.

We're booked for 10 nights, 4 Adults, Free Dining, 10 day hoppers at CBR for $4200 for this coming Sept/Oct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter