Using your signal when changing lanes....

How do you use your signal when changing lanes?

• I put my signal on, look for space in the lane into which I want to move, then change lanes.

• I look for for space in the lane into which I want to move, put on my signal and then change lanes.

Results are only viewable after voting.
In NC at least, it's in the DMV handbook and is a question on the actual driving test. The regulations say you must check your blind spots where you want to move, signal, and then change lanes. But of course, not many people adhere to that. :headache:

Usually 1, but sometimes 2. I don't deliberately make space for anyone who hasn't signaled - why would I? Now, an exception to that is big trucks. If I notice a big truck running up on slower traffic; I ALWAYS assume they are preparing to switch lanes and I make room.

In NC at least, it's in the DMV handbook and is a question on the actual driving test. The regulations say you must check your blind spots where you want to move, signal, and then change lanes. But of course, not many people adhere to that. :headache:

This intrigued me so I decided to look up the law in Texas. I can't find anything that says whether you have to look and then signal or signal and then look, Just the you have to signal if you are going to change lanes. I found it interesting that some states will actually have a law on the books for this one while others don't.

Jeez, if you signal first before you find a space, that's giving secrets away to the enemy!

You find the space, signal, wait a few beats to make sure a non-signalling idiot isn't going to bogart your space, then cautiously move over.

How do you use your signal when changing lanes?

DH doesn't put his signal on until he has found the space he will change into and is in the act of changing lanes. But he gets angry at other drivers for not making a space for him to change lanes. I tell him that he can't be angry at them because he gave no indication that he wanted to change lanes.

He says he doesn't do it that way because he thinks that when other drivers see a signal, they close up the spaces preventing people from changing lanes into them.

Are you sure you're not talking about my DH?!?! LOL Mine does this every single time. Drives me insane.

The turn signal is to indicate what you plan to do not what you ARE doing.

I don't think anyone voting is talking about doing a one-blink signal as you're moving. At least that's not how I took it. I voted 2 because I wait for a spot, put my blinker on, make sure no one has taken my spot or it hasn't closed up, then move over. If I put my blinker on when there wasn't a spot and just hoped someone would make room for me, I'd be "that" driver with their blinker on for a mile but not actually going anywhere. :)

It does depend on traffic and street vs freeway though.

If you are just doing a blink AS you are turning, that seems like it needs a choice 3. I don't know.

Why would I give away my plans to the enemy? :rotfl:

More seriously, I don't usually signal until I spot an opening. If there's no opening, I stay in my lane because I don't want to interupt the flow of traffic unless there are extenuating circumstances. If I need a different lane, I try to plan for this so that I'm not stuck asking someone to let me over. If I am in a new place where I haven't learned the traffic flow patterns yet, I will use my signal first, then look for an opening. If there's unusual traffic and I have to change my pattern of behavior, I will use my signal first.

Usually, I let people in if they use their signal first. I figure I can use the good karma, same as anyone else.

This is me too. I do both. Traffic & congestion: signal first. Highways and such: Llook first, then signal. Because I already know im clear to switch lanes, but i just anyway just in case. :thumbsup2

Both.

On streets, in non-congested traffic, or in situations in which I need to get over quickly, I signal first.

On highways or in congested traffic, I look for openings and then signal.

Defensive driving classes teach option 2. Look for a safe opening, signal, look again to see it is still clear, then change lanes.

Pet peeve of mine - great topic.

I usually look, then signal and let it flash three times, then look again before changing lanes.

I freely admit that this does not work in NJ, where they are considered "pass me now" signals. Turn on the signal and the driver in that lane, regardless of how slow they were going, will immediately speed up to block your lane change.

My other pet peeve are the drivers who pass at 1/2 mph faster than the other vehicle. It's like they want to chat or hold hands. Sheesh, turn off the cruise control and step on it!

Voted number 2. The funny thing is that dd and I just had this conversation yesterday while driving to Woods Hole on Cape Cod from central Mass. We were on 495, a three lane highway. Traffic was moderate. The car in front of us started moving left, into the far left lane (passing lane)..as he was straddling the dotted line he put his directional on!!! Ah yeah, we kinda figured you were moving left!!! My dh does the exact same thing...drives me nuts.

If you look and can see there is a space, then put on the directional, and then move over. If traffic is heavy, I put on the directional and wait for an opening. Dh says that's crazy...no one is going to let me in. It's much better, he seems to think, to just bull your way into the stream of cars!! I say that annoys others and leads to road rage!!!

And that whole 'lane ending, merge' issue??? Drives me nutty when the vast majority of cars are lined up, moving slowly as you come to that merge, and you have a car or two that speed up and drive like a nut until the last minute and then try to move into the line of cars. Sorry but that's not how is should go. Yes, if every car lets in one car, then it works beautifully. But most drivers don't want to let that one car in. It would be so nice if those in the merge over lane would start their merge much earlier, rather than waiting until the lane goes away.

And in Florida?? I'm not sure they even put directional signals in the cars down there!!!! After a week of driving in Florida, I return home to Mass and seldom use a directional. It is truly a case of 'too much info to the enemy' down there. Or, they just make such fast decisions that they have no time for directionals!!!

Around here, we put on our signal, then look for a space to move into. Most times, people will slow down to allow you in. The only time this doesn't happen is when a lane is ending and someone speeds to the end of it and then tries to cut in. Drives me crazy and I make a point of not letting them in. We all knew the lane was ending and managed to move over in time, you should be able to too.

And this is where the signal helps you out in my book -- If I have seen you behind me and have had your signal on, so I KNOW you have been trying to get over the entire time but there wasn't space, no one was budging vs. being speed racer and zooming to the end of the line when a lane closes & you get to me before the lane ends -- I will make enough room for you to merge in front of me.

I usually turn my signal on as I'm changing lanes but I don't get mad at people for not giving me room to get in their lane -- driver's aren't mind readers! For all they know you have 20 more miles to go in your lane, how do they know you are going to need to turn in a mile and need to get into the other lane?

I hate the drivers that flick their signal on and just force their way over when they want. They act like since their signal is on they have every right to just take the lane. It is a signal of intent - not permission - to move over a lane.

I put on my blinker when I need to move over, so drivers will know I am coming over. They can't read my mind. If they speed up and fill in the space, they would probably have been bumper riders anyway and I don't like that.

I tend to leave 2-3 car lengths between my car and the car in front of me and I HATE when drivers signal as they fill in that space. Give me a signal and a few seconds to adjust my speed so I don't have to hit the brakes please.

I had a wreck once when a pickup truck cut over in front of me and then almost immediately swerved back over when the car in front of us hit her brakes. He hit the back right corner or her SUV and then I hit her right in the center after he got over(I had slowed to 15 mph before I hit her). Of course, I got points for hitting her from behind because I was following too closely---um...not really, until this idiot cut over without even signalling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter