Using kiddie leashes at WDW

Our DS told us the same thing last time we went..."I am a big boy, etc etc etc" We just kept telling him that yes he was a big boy but while we are inside the parks he would have to hold our hands...:thumbsup2

Except my son isn't really talking. He's 14 months old. He can't understand any rationalization. I was just giving an example that he acts like we are degrading him, in a funny way. I don't mind the fit and making him hold my hand or be carried when we are at home, but that's a lot of miles to have to carry a 25 pound baby for 10 days....

I would not be able to carry any child in the park b/c last year after disney I had rotator cuff surgery on 1 arm and I an due any day now for my left arm..
So sorry I am of no help :confused3

We have a stuffed Unicorn harness. And we will definately be using it at WDW next month and again in Dec.

We are traveling with 3 other families and they each have one too and plan to use it too.

My DD would run off no problem and doesn't care to hold hands longer than absolutely neccessary. But she will wear her harness no problem.

And the last time we went out we were approached 3 times by mom's, dad's and some grandparents asking where they could get one.

Personally I don't care what other people think of me using a harness. It's not their child so they have no opinion in my books on what I deem safe.

My dd likes her harness and will hand me the leash part if I drop it or when I first put it on. And when we don't need it I fold it up and tuck it into the pocket on the back of the unicorn and she holds my hand.

My biggest fear of using it at WDW is having someone get between me and her. So I will be very careful when using it in crowds.

I would get some kind of waist or harness "leash" rather than the wrist ones, just because the wrist is prone to injury if they jerk or run away from you, or if they get tangled in the stroller somehow or trip. I have taken a "leash" the past 2 trips for my 2 year old, but never took them out of the package. I am not really keen on the idea of the "leash", but knew it would be better to be prepared and not need it than to need it and have nothing available. Both times I returned the items (different ones each year) to the store after coming home from vacation. Since your children are used to the idea of a harness of some type and you will be outnumbered, you might wanna just go ahead and open the packages, though.;) Good luck!

I say who cares what people say...if you feel more secure using the child leash, then absolutely use it! I used one a few times when my daughter was younger. She wandered off so quickly...I lost her once in a store and I vowed I would NEVER do it again! I literally shook for 2 days reliving that moment when I couldn't find her. She loved to walk and explore, so this was the safest way I could be happy and she could be happy. :)

It's not degrading to love your child and want to keep them close, it just means you are a responsible and loving parent. Besides, it's really no one's business how you keep track of your children. Using a child leash is not abusive in any way and I find it silly that some liken it to a dog. Why do we leash a dog? Because we love them and don't want them to run away or get hit by a car. How is that inhumane? Silly.

We have one of the backpack ones that looks like a monkey and DS who is 2 loves it and we will be bringing it with us when we go to Disney next year.
If people don't like it tough, I honestly don't care what people think because we'll never see them again.

For those who say abductions don't happen at Disney there's a first time for everything and I'll do everything I can to protect my son and keep him from being the victim. I'm sure the parents of the little girl who was molested at the Swan and Dolphin never thought it would happen at Disney either.

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a kid who was lost in Disney World that has never been found? Has there ever been a child abducted out of one of the parks? To all those people who say "Rather on a leash than on a milk carton?" I am just curious on whether or not there has EVER been a kid that disappeared or was abducted from one of the Disney Parks? I'm sorry, it is just my opinion, but leashes for your kids are degrading.

Not sure if you were around here, but last year or the year before there was a thread about a family that saw another family looking for their child at EPCOT. They started looking well before Illuminations, during Illuminations and were still looking as everyone else was leaving the park. Of course, Disney personnel were also searching, the family that observed this, said it was heart wrenching.

I'm assuming they did eventually find this child, but if you have ever been a parent to loose a child in a crowd, around water, or all the little places around EPCOT or any Disney Park, it's terrifying.

Just a few weeks ago a stalker was found stalking a little girl in the Dolphin parking lot and thankfully was seen by her brother. What about the two people taken in the Downtown Disney parking lot by gun point the other week. Sorry, but if you've "lost" a child for even 15 seconds, you know that horrid terrifying feeling and if something as non obtrusive as a wrist band or little vest gives them a little autonomy while still staying safe, who cares!!! I guess it's less degrading then to see them on the milk carton???

Not sure if you were around here, but last year or the year before there was a thread about a family that saw another family looking for their child at EPCOT. They started looking well before Illuminations, during Illuminations and were still looking as everyone else was leaving the park. Of course, Disney personnel were also searching, the family that observed this, said it was heart wrenching.

I'm assuming they did eventually find this child, but if you have ever been a parent to loose a child in a crowd, around water, or all the little places around EPCOT or any Disney Park, it's terrifying.

Just a few weeks ago a stalker was found stalking a little girl in the Dolphin parking lot and thankfully was seen by her brother. What about the two people taken in the Downtown Disney parking lot by gun point the other week. Sorry, but if you've "lost" a child for even 15 seconds, you know that horrid terrifying feeling and if something as non obtrusive as a wrist band or little vest gives them a little autonomy while still staying safe, who cares!!! I guess it's less degrading then to see them on the milk carton???

I think the couple at DTD turned out to be a haox (drug deal gone bad I think), but everything else you said is spot on.

Not every child who doesn't wear a seat belt is going to die or be seriously injured. Not every baby out of a car seat is going to die or be seriously injured. However the majority of people put them in these restraining devices so to lower the odds of them being hurt.

Parents put their children in leashes/harnasses to lower the odds of children being abducted or lost (even if it only for a minute).

She was stalked near the Grotto Pool...how SCAREY is that !:scared1:

Using a child leash is not abusive in any way and I find it silly that some liken it to a dog. Why do we leash a dog? Because we love them and don't want them to run away or get hit by a car. How is that inhumane? Silly.

Most small children have no better sense of danger than a dog does (not saying anyone's child is stupid, just that a 3 yr old cannot apprecaite dange the way an adult can). I say if you feel your child is safer on a leash, then go for it! there are bad people everywhere, and while I love disney, and i feel safer there than almost anywhere else, a 3 yr old can get into plenty of trouble without a "bad person" around...

*images of 3 yr old swimming in lagoon in front of the castle :scared: *

I would not use a kiddie leash at all....oh dear....I thought how humiliating.

I didn't use them...I held my children's hands when they were out of the stroller and they were in WDW at the ages of 1 1/2, 2, 3.

I did "lose" my son at the age of 3, in the CBR food court when his Grandpa...clearing my throat....and yes, my DAD....was bringing him to refill his drink mug and he got lost.

It was the WORST feeling of my life. I consider myself to be a calm person and the blood rushed to my head and I was in a state of utter PANIC. My first instinct was to run to the exit door and stay right there .... we found him after probably three minutes....it seemed like an eternity. I wanted to scream at him and hug him at the same time.... the tears were pouring down....actually they hovering in my eyes as I write this.

From that second on.....kiddie leashes looked pretty good to me.

My advice....do what you feel is best and remember YOU ARE THE BEST MOM EVER!

Most small children have no better sense of danger than a dog does (not saying anyone's child is stupid, just that a 3 yr old cannot apprecaite dange the way an adult can). I say if you feel your child is safer on a leash, then go for it! there are bad people everywhere, and while I love disney, and i feel safer there than almost anywhere else, a 3 yr old can get into plenty of trouble without a "bad person" around...

*images of 3 yr old swimming in lagoon in front of the castle :scared: *

Yes - you are absolutley right! My own daughter has always been very curious like most other children. With the volume of people in WDW, a leash my be the safest way to let your child explore without the fear of losing them in the crowd. It only takes a second for something to go wrong. And you're right, it doesn't just take a 'bad person', a child can fall into a fountain, get lost in shrubs or wander off in general. Safe is best!

I am a single mom of 3. For my first child I did not use a harness. I had 2 babies 6 years later 10 months apart. At 18 months- and at 2yrs and a half, both wanting to run in different directions you better believe I used the wrist leashes! I loved them. The kids could walk around safely and that was whats important.. I was never in wall to wall crowds but still at events and festivals where we live. I couldn't care less what people thought...good or bad. Just do what makes you and your kids secure and have a fun safe time

Yikes, would never have used a "leash"! Besides, you'll have much more control if you buckle him/her into a stroller. You'll need control and maneuverability in
crowds anyway. If he/she gets "tired" of the stroller, you can always hold a sweet hand!:thumbsup2

Pre-child, I used to be one of those people who gave the dirty looks and made the snide comments about people using leashes for their children. Now that I have a toddler of my own, I really understand the value of using one (although I never have yet). It gets so exhausting to battle a child who doesn't want to hold your hand, and I can only imagine how much more it magnifies at a place like Disney World.

To the OP, you do what you have to do - if people give you looks, who cares what they think - - you'll be enjoying your vacation without having to fight your child every 5 minutes.

We purchased the harness kind for our 2 yr old will be 2.5 on our next trip. He has tone issues w/his right side and to expect him to hand hold when he needs both arms for balance is ridiculous. :sad2: The harness will allow him to walk at a comfortable pace w/o being drug around by either his only hand he can use well or by his arm that has decreased muscle tone and therefore tires easily (can you imgine holding an arm up high for periods of time when your muscles ache?). He didn't walk till he was 21 months old and now thinks it's funny to run and and 'peek' around things. So for us it's a safety and comfort issue.

People need to keep their looks of disdain to themselves and get over themselves. Just do what you know to be best for your family you know your kids best as our peds Dr. says the mama always knows. :yay:

I haven't read the thread and I won't pretend to have but I just wanted to chime in with my views on the topic. Do good parents use "leashes"? YES! Does using a "leash" make you a good parent? NO! Soom people seem to think having their child tied to them is like having a nanny with them. Just because your child can't wander more then 4 feet from you doesn't mean that you shouldn't still expect them to stay as close to you as possible (for other people's safety) and behave themselves. If they aren't doing that it's your job as a good parent to punish them for it just like you would if they weren't on the "leash". Here are a few examples of what NOT to do that I've seen over the years at WDW some more extreme then others...

At POR (then Dixie Landings) there is a playground for children to enjoy. While walking by one summers day I saw a child TIED to the structure by their "leash" with no parent in sight. Appaled and worried for the child's safety I approached her to ask her where her mommy or daddy was. As soon as I had gotten up to her the mother came walking up holding a drink (which I assume she had gone to buy the child) but I can't believe she had just left her child tied there like a dog in a yard. She easily could have hung herself had she tried to use the slide etc.

In the busy POP food court a parent was waiting in line for their food at one of the kiosks with their child, "leash" attached beside them. The child began to get antsy and ran out under the queue ropes and into the main walking area that heads to the cashes. Everyone around saw how unsafe this was for anyone walking by with trays, many even told the father who just said "kids will be kids" sure enough the little kid and it's trip line finally managed to bring down an elderly woman walking with ia full tray of food. As CMs rushed to help the lady the parent tugged on his child's leash, pulled them back to him, and without so much as an apology went back to his business of ordering.

and finally....

While riding on an exceptionally crowded bus back to All-Star Movies one July evening at 2am a mother AND father (so neither is a good parent) decided it'd be best for their two sons to share a seat up near the front of the bus, while they sat 3 or so rows back, on the OPPOSITE side of the bus, still holding the "leash" line across the standing aisle. The driver put a stop to that pretty fast, but the audacity of trying was downright insane to me.

So there you have it, good parents can certainly use the "leash" in conjunction with good parenting to keep their child safe AND well behaved but when bad parents get their hands on these things they're little more then a weapon and excuse for hands off parenting. So please parents, if you're going to use these tools, use them correctly for the safety and enjoyment of those around you.

I'd like to ask all those people that have been inconvenienced by tripping over a child "leash". How close were you following behind this person and child to have been tripped by them? Why were you that close or not paying enough attention to what was going on around you to actually walk into someone and their child?

I don't care who feels they need to put a leash on their child -- the backpack leashes are kind of cute. But I just had to respond to this quote and its "tone" that the fault of the tripped person lies with the tripped person. Not too sure if I appreciate the interrogatory tone of it.

I was walking down main street toward the castle solo, as the then-husband was back at the room. Leashed Mom was on my right, so no, I was not behind her or tailgating her. Leashed kid was up ahead of Mom, and the wrist leash was pretty long. The kid cut out in front of me and ran back behind me to get to his Mom. The leash wrapped around me right at my knees and because of Mom & Kid's forward motion, back I went.

I was much more embarrassed than hurt, as I have a bit of padding on the ol' butt. The Mom was completely apologetic and I never for a second blamed her.

I did, however, glare at a Dad on the left of me who ran over my fingers with his stroller as I sat up on the ground getting untangled. But he didn't stop. I'm sure that was my fault too, as I had the gall to be tripped in front of him. :lmao:

These are kids. Kids cannot be degraded, as they are not aware that they should be concerned about the fact that they have a leash on. Kids eat things that come from their nose, lick railings, suck on shopping cart handles, etc. The kids that the leashes are appropriate for are those that are still lacking impulse control. When your child knows right from wrong, then maybe rethink the leash.

I hope that my kids don't turn out to be as judgemental as some of the folks on this board. Maybe they will have shame issues because of the snide comments they hear uttered about their leashes. So thanks in advance for my kids needing therapy.

If you had asked me three months ago to defend a child leash, I would have laughed at you. Looking at it from a different angle now gave me a whole different opinion.

MHO:

1. Leashes are not bad. If you need one in order to either a) Not loose your kid; or b) Not be too worried about loosing your kid to enjoy your trip/mall outing/life, use one!

2. Leashes are not good. I do think that some parents use them just to be controlling or to have power over their kids. Sadly, some parents are just like that.

Use the leash for good, not evil--but use the leash!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter