Use of handicapped sticker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SullyDog

Earning My Ears
I was talking to my neighbor tonight about her upcoming trip to DisneyWorld in July, the first time she and her family have gone there in years. I was explaining how Fast Pass works, when she interrupted and said they wouldn't be needing that because she still has her husband's handicapped parking pass from when he had foot surgery last fall (he is perfectly fine now) and will be using that to go to the front of all of the lines. She says she loaned it to her sister a couple of months ago and they used it that way at DisneyWorld with great success. This seems terrible to me. Is it really that easy to use an old handicapped parking pass to get to the front of all the lines???

Wow that is very dissapointing. Especially since he has seen how hard things can be for someone who has difficulty walking. What is sader is others who have actual problems and it is hard for them to get a GAC card. Also a GAC card is NOT a front of the line pass. I assure you we have waited in plenty of lines at Disney and I have a child who uses a wheel chair at Disney because of the amount of walking. As for is it that easy ... I guess sometimes it is and sometimes it is not. It all depends on the CM that is working with you. All I can say is I hope they never have an actual need for a GAC and not be able to get one.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. On our last trip we were speechless at seeing people use wheelchairs when they didn't need them as a way to get to the rides faster. We even saw a couple of people take turns "riding" in the wheelchair. We heard some talk about it on the bus rides to and from POP.

Amazing what some people will do.

You should tell them it WON'T help with most of the lines. Almost all lines at MGM and AK are accessible, and as they have refurbed rides at MK and Epcot they have made them accessible as well. It no longer takes something as simple as a wheelchair or ECV to skip the line, with few exceptions. Even the rides that haven't been refurbed to be accessible don't just automatically let you and your party up front to ride next - you often have to wait for a specific car or additional disabled parties to arrive before you board. The wait is often the same or longer than the regular line.

A GAC pass is something entirely different, and something they would have to get a guest relations. Believe me, Disney does not give those away to just anyone who asks. You typically have to demonstrate the need or have a letter from a doctor explaining a not-so-obvious condition. I doubt these people could con their way into one with an expired HC hangtag.

I feel the need to comment here. A few years ago I developed Rheumatoid Arthritis and thought that I would never be able to do WDW again, certainly not in the commando mode that we enjoy. We decided to go this past fall, but I was very worried that I would not be able to walk too much. I REALLY did not want to use a wheelchair but realistically decided that I would try to walk a few hours in the morning and then use a wheelchair. Happily, it turned out that except for a few days I was OK and did not need a chair. If someone had seen me getting in and out of a chair, they probably would have thought I was "faking" it.

i have the same problem with my daughter...she is 7 and has mild cerebral palsy and some other muscle problems and had major brain surgery a few years ago....i know people must think we are "faking it" when they see her walk around and then get back in the stroller (which we use as a wheelchair) but that is because she can also walk around for a little while but gets tired easily, especially in the heat and she has balance issues and falls down a lot in line (as we have learned at six flags who does not have anything like a GAC pass)...

it is sad that some people abuse the priviledge.....

My DH uses a wheelchair, and we have gotten a GAC the last 2 years we've gone to WDW. We did get on some rides faster, but a lot of the lines are wheelchair accessible and we just waited with everyone else. We also used Fastpass. We did meet one family that had rented a ECV just so their kids wouldn't get too tired! The kids were 12 and older! I could not believe they did this. But it backfired on them on one ride - BTMR. The guests using the handicapped entrance actually had to wait longer when we were there. The kids were getting so upset, but I was laughing! Serves them right. :rotfl:

There are many people out there who think that a wheelchair or crutches gives automatic access to rides. This is completely false. A few years ago, my mom was going to stop coming to WDW because she has pain in her hips and knees when walking. She uses one at the grocery store and places like target. She can't walk in the mall anymore. I talked her into renting an ecv at the parks. It has been so helpful for her. You wouldn't know it by looking at her. I can attest to the fact that they will not get in front of the line with a handicapped sticker. Many of the lines are integrated to accomodate all persons. Some rides do take longer to get on. For example KS at Animal Kingdom. We have waited there for a longer time waited for the handicapped accessable bus.

I was talking to my neighbor tonight about her upcoming trip to DisneyWorld in July, the first time she and her family have gone there in years. I was explaining how Fast Pass works, when she interrupted and said they wouldn't be needing that because she still has her husband's handicapped parking pass from when he had foot surgery last fall (he is perfectly fine now) and will be using that to go to the front of all of the lines. She says she loaned it to her sister a couple of months ago and they used it that way at DisneyWorld with great success. This seems terrible to me. Is it really that easy to use an old handicapped parking pass to get to the front of all the lines???

I hope you don't think I'm being rude here but I sincerely doubt that a handicapped parking pass gets you anything but handicapped parking. I have never seen an instance when that was recognized as a valid way to get on a ride ahead of everyone else, anywhere, anytime. Absolutely anyone can have a "parking pass" on their person and there is no way to verify it's ownership or it's need by the specific person holding it.

No, I'm not buying it. I would really like to be watching when someone tries to use it as a way to ride first because I think the expression on their face when it doesn't happen will be priceless. I won't say that there aren't a few CM's that are either stupid enough or clueless enough or uncaring enough to do something that lame but I doubt it is a universal event.

Absoolutely not will it get them to the front of the line. We travel with my parents and my dad is in a chair and is unable to walk or transfer so he can only go on rides that allow direct chair usage. It limits the number of rides he can go on by a huge amount. If people are able to transfer, they are allowed to go down certain entrances in some rides but they need to wait as well. In my dad's case, we have to wait for the accessible cart to come along as well. If you can transfer, they have you wait to the side. Most of the lines have been revamped so you can wait on line in your chair. There are GAC's for people who have genuine needs but nowadays becasue of all the increased accessibility in the park- there is no go to the head of the line for people who use wheelchairs.

All I can say is ewwwwwwwww:mad:
I do have to add that I am disabled, but you would never know it to look at me. I am almost 6 feet tall and well toned from physical therapy(I had a stroke about 5 years ago). That being said, I have a nervous system disorder that causes my heart rate and blood pressure to drop without warning, and usually can not stand still for more than a few minutes.
I use a GAC when I need to, and feel no shame about it.
Disney has always been wonderful to me about it.
I am sure there are plenty of people who wonder why the 6 foot blonde lady has one though!

A GAC pass is something entirely different, and something they would have to get a guest relations. Believe me, Disney does not give those away to just anyone who asks. You typically have to demonstrate the need or have a letter from a doctor explaining a not-so-obvious condition. I doubt these people could con their way into one with an expired HC hangtag.

Not true and there in lies the problem. Disney can't, thanks, and yes that is sarcastic, to the ADA ask for a DR's letter. So if people know what to say and how to ask, they can get a GAC pretty easily. So many people are getting and abusing the GAC that I think they will be doing something soon or not offering it because soon more people than not will have one. I mean with the Baby Boomers coming of "age" everyone soon will have had a hip replacement and this is one that has been discussed as a reason for getting a GAC. If you read some of the discussions the fast pass line isn't even good enough for some of these folks they expect and get even more expedited access and I think that is wrong except for a very,very, few people.

Not true and there in lies the problem. Disney can't, thanks, and yes that is sarcastic, to the ADA ask for a DR's letter. So if people know what to say and how to ask, they can get a GAC pretty easily. So many people are getting and abusing the GAC that I think they will be doing something soon or not offering it because soon more people than not will have one. I mean with the Baby Boomers coming of "age" everyone soon will have had a hip replacement and this is one that has been discussed as a reason for getting a GAC. If you read some of the discussions the fast pass line isn't even good enough for some of these folks they expect and get even more expedited access and I think that is wrong except for a very,very, few people.

I have to agree...ADA is packed full of well meaning regulations that are totally senseless, discriminatory and sometimes downright dangerous. The theory is that it will embarrass someone if you ask them to verify their disability. So in other words until this regulation was passed people with disabilities didn't know they were supposed to be embarrassed by it. It is almost a slap in the face to people with real problems and a literal gold mine for those that figured out how to work the system and do not have the moral fortitude to not abuse it. At least before people with disabilities were not looked at in judgement by the public as to the reality of their disability.

That's what you get when you over educate our decision makers without the benefit of sensitivity and common sense.

I don't know exactly how it works, but my neighbor did say she loaned her husband's handicapped pass to her sister (even worse than using it themselves which is certainly bad enough) and that it worked fine for them - they didn't have to wait in any lines. I think it's terrible and what an example for their 3 children. She said the kids can't wait to go - especially now that they know they won't have to wait in the lines! Geesh!

My neighbor also said they chose to go in July because they heard it won't be crowded then as people don't go in July due to the heat. I just let it go. She's a know it all type that you can't tell anything to. We've been to Disney umpteen times, she's been once several years ago, but she knows everything. I would have been glad to share some tips with her, but there's no point.....

My mother has the G.A.C. without the wheelchair stamped on it for an undisclosed medical condition(no,we aren't related to Paris Hilton!!)and when I go with her,we are allowed to use it in the fast pass line without the need for a fast pass. In fact,we once used it to let someone come in with us at Soarin' when they realized their FP was at a time when they had to meet their family. It felt good to help someone see Soarin' when they thought they wouldn't see it.

First of all, having a disabled hang tag does not get you a GAC.

Second, I would expect that if a person has a disabled tag they would use it to park in the disabled reserved parking and it would remain in the car.

And last, several times when parking in disabled parking I have had a Deputy Sheriff (from Orange County) come up to me and ask to see my Placard and my Driver's License to verify that they match. They will do this routinely to make sure that the person to whom the placard is issued is in the car using it. If the person is not there, they will confiscate the placard and issue the driver a ticket that will cost $250. And one of them said they will confiscate out of state as well as Florida placards.

Trust me on this, being in a wheelchair or disabled does NOT get you to the front of the line. On some of the rides/theater attractions you get a time to come back because of the limited number of seats they have for the handicapped so you get to come back a few hours later (hows that for a privilege) so it will appear that you get to "skip" line. Most of the rides and attractions are main stream queue we get to wait in line with everyone else. And then get to wait for the handicapped accessible car, boat, or what have you to come by so you can get on that.

to use / fake a GAC card. I am absolutely gobsmacked that someone would do that. When we went to WDW 2 years ago with my parents we stayed offsite and drove. My Dad has had a lot of health problems ( but is actually in pretty good shape now ) but his Doc gave hom a handicapped sticker because of an intermittent foot problem. We felt bad using it to park with - but the Doc felt it might help him enjoy the trip more if he knew he could get to his car easier.

That said - on a few occasion the standing in line was going to bother his foot - he sat it out and met us.

Someone said yo him he was lucky to use the handicapped parking and he was just amazed.

We had to use a wheelchair for my husband when he gout flared up so much his ankle looked like a football (he's fine now with daily medication with no reoccurance). What we found out is being handicapped at Disney World, while they do a great job with assistance, kind of sucks with getting on the attractions. We stayed in the normal lines (except for Star Tours which, for some reason, the Cast Member there insisted on pushing us up to the front).

At Star Tours, even though we were pushed to the front of the line, we had to wait until one ride vehicle was emptied so we would be the first ones on the ride. In the first row all the way to the right. Those have to be the worst sets on Star Tours. Too close to the screen and no bumping so the sense of flying hrough the galaxy was very subtle. It wasn't Star Tours to us at all.

At Muppets, we lined up for the handicapped seats. The last row. That sucked because you lost everything that was going on behind you (which it what I love).

My point is that even if you get to go into an attrraction "first" (like behind able to get into the Muppets theatre first but still having the wait like everyone else), your seats more than likely will not be the greatest. Check the seating next time for where the wheelchairs are for shows. usually right in front (neck strain big time) or all the way in the back.

So use that pass if your conscience will let you. I just know that you aren't gaining a damn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter