Updates on AVERY. (good news update pg 33 post 489!)

Continued prayers for Avery that his treatment will be completely effective and that he will stay strong as he fights. He has many people lifting him up in prayer and I hope you can feel our support and very best wishes! :)

Well....we had some good and some not-so good news today. The not-so good was that Avery had a little nausea/vomiting last night as a result of Tuesday's chemo, went to bed early, but awoke very early this morning with a lot of bone pain, in his backa dn ribs and then his hands. He was also running a little fever which they needed to watch, it got to within a degree of the 100.5 that would require him to be back in the hospital for anitbiotics and observation. Fortunately the fever stayed on the low side of the trigger point and they got a prescription called in for tylenol with codiene. The best news today though was the results of his bone marrow and spinal fluid analyses Tuesday. The spinal is still all clear and the bone marrow numbers dropped significantly in the one week of chemo! :thumbsup2 From 80% to 4%!! 5% or under is technically considered remission so that is great news. He will still have 2 more weeks of this chemo but can skip the spinal tap and bone marrow draw next week. If thinsg maintain or improve further then he switches after the 3 weeks to a different kind of chemo to target any leukemia "hiding" in other parts of the body (other than the bone marrow or blood). His immune system is not in good shape, so they are very concerned about exposure to bacterial/viral infections.
But in this day by day battle, I think think today's results are overall ont he plus side for my brave little guy!! Thanks again for all your thougths and prayers!!

Ann, that's wonderful news! If your precious little guy doesn't have to go through the spinal tap and the bone marrow aspiration this coming week that's great! The less pain the better for children suffering any horrible disease! Thanks for sharing your news. Hopefully the nausea/vomitting won't last. And if he changes the chemo drugs that will be the end of the side effects from the chemo. Great news, thanks for sharing. We'll keep the prayers coming. :grouphug: Kathy

This has not been a good day for my little guy.

He is back at Dartmouth. He was in a lot of pain and still unable to keep anyting down and his temp actually dropped. below normal...
this afternoon they said to bring him in. DIL took him up and DSS is home with the girls.
He maybe has some kind of viral or bacterial infection, maybe his kidneys, or maybe some kind of seizure. He's in pedi ICU. There seems to be some uncertainty as to what is actually going on, as this is not "normal" chemo side effects. So frightening. :sad2:

I am so sorry to hear he is back at the hospital. I will say an extra prayer that they quickly find out what is going on and get him back home. :grouphug:

My heart sank when I read the latest Avery update. I will say a prayer for him tonight.

Oh, Ann, I am so sorry Avery is back in the hospital and having these problems. Hoping the docs can get this under control ASAP.

Continuing to pray for Avery here.

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts. It was a very rough night, for Avery and DIL at DHMC and for all of us at home. The word this morning is they seem to think the infection is in his PICC line or near where it enters his body. They are getting a certai bacteria when they take blood through te line. They have analyzed the bacteria and are giving him a targeted antibiotic. They hydrated him and gave him his other meds which he could not keep down yesterday. They took blood ebery 2 hours through the night, and the poor kid was hallucinating for awhile too though that has subsided. His potassium levels are dropping and sodium rising which I guess are good signs. He is finally sleeping after being up since 1:00 am Friday morning.

I am sorry to hear that he had a rough night. I sure hope they get the infection under control and he can rest and start feeling better.

It is very hard to hear what Avery and your family is going through. I hope his sleep is healing for him.

I am relieved the docs sound like they are onto where the infection originates.
I cannot imagine how hard it was for your DIL to see Avery in this distress. I am glad they were watching him so closely at home and got him to the hospital when they did.

Time for more good news.

Wow, Ann, catching up. First good news, then bad. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. I hope Avery's feeling better soon. :grouphug:

Ann, more prayers for Avery and your family. I hope the antibiotic works soon, and he can come back home. :grouphug:

Ann,
Avery was on my mind a lot this weekend. I've been praying for your sweet boy.

Tracey

I don't have good news today.

Poor Avery is just wracked with infections and complications. They have called DS to come to the hospital to be with DIL and Avery.
They were flat out told that he might not make it through this.

I'm really having trouble praying to a God who could let this happen...but on my SIL's advice I'm trying to connect in my mind directly to Avery and tell him all the reasons why he should fight to stay here with us.

I'm so sorry Avery is not doing well. I'll double my prayers for the little guy and for you and your family. I don't understand why little kids get sick, it just doesn't make sense. Please know you are in my thoughts.

Ann, my mother and I are saying this prayer for Avery. I'm posting it here for anyone else who might like to say it also. :grouphug:

Prayer to St. Jude for our Child who is Sick

St. Jude, the glorious apostle faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the patron of hopeless cases of things despaired of, pray for our child who is sick and so miserable. Make use we implore you of this particular privilege accorded to you, to bring visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to our assistance in this great time of need, that I may receive the consolations and succor of Heaven in all my necessities, tribulations and sufferings, particularly to help our child to get better from his illness and to give him good health and to guide his path, and that we may bless God with you and all the elect forever. I promise you, O Blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, and I will never cease to honor you as my special and powerful patron and to do all in my power to encourage devotion to you. Amen.

Ann, I am devestated that Avery is so sick. I will say the wonderful pryer Linda posted many times tonight for Avery and your family. I am with you in spirit.

Your SIL's advice to concentrate on Avery is good, very constructive at this moment.

Thank you for posting that Linda... it helped me to focus a little.
I thank you all for your kindness and prayers.

I am so sorry about this recent news. How difficult this must be for all of you. :grouphug: I am beseeching God to rid Avery's body of that infection and to restore his health.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter