UPDATED ONCE AGAIN!! 1-11-15: Trip review: Viva Italia, May 25- June 2nd, 2015

Part 3 finished--

After my guide and I parted, I stayed in the Basilica and toured the treasury of the church. It was okay, but not something I'd do again. It wasn't that special.

Then, it was back to the Grand Melia to meet up with Troy and Marco B, my adventure guides. They had asked everyone to stop by and say hello, and give their order for the welcome dinner that night. That uphill climb back to the hotel was murder! When I mentioned this to Troy and Marco, they said they'd be showing us a shortcut-- d'oh!

But it was okay I missed the shortcut. - still had just enough time to refresh myself in my room, before meeting another tour- from livitaly.com this time. It was a tour of crypts and catacombs. The driver picked me up and I met my guide, ( Franchesco?). The first stop was the catacombs of San Callisto. But we had to wait to join a guided tour, because independent guides are not allowed to guide in the catacombs.

So, my guide and I toured part of the Appian way. This very historic road was a sight to see, and this was first time hearing about "recycling"-- the tradition of using part of old relics in new creations, which is everywhere in Rome. The Appian way is made of parts of stolen marble and rocks from other houses and buildings. Very intriguing. We then toured the catacombs, which was cool, but very humid due to the underground nature. Rather uncomfortable.

We then toured San Clemente-- the "lasagna" church. It is a church on top of two other old buildings-- one the prior church and another some ancient civic buildings, like housing and a money mint. Very awesome! But no pics allowed :( The church is pretty itself, but the underground makes this a place to see.

However, nothing was as spectacular as our last stop-- the Capuchin "Bone" crypt. The bones here are overwhelming and a sight I promise you won't ever forget if you go there. But beware faint of heart. It is a LOT of bones-- all real. Nobody is allowed to really talk much in there either-- out of respect. And of course, no pics. Just like San Clemente and the catacombs.

The return to my hotel left me just enough time to rest up for dinner. The welcome dinner was in the hotel restaurant, and I must say-- it was the worst of the meals we had on the trip, at least for me. I ordered veggie lasagna and it was NOT good. I wished I had ordered one of the other dishes, but a lot of the folks at my table weren't really impressed with those other dishes either. Fortunately, the rest of the food on the trip was mainly great!

Troy and Marco had us all getting to know each other, but I was glad the merriment didn't last too long. I was beat and glad to get a good night sleep.

Thank you for doing this trip report. Looking forward to the next leg of your journey.

I am enjoying your report. Love how you made good use of your days before the start of the ABD tour. I am taking note of the tours and guides you booked for your pre days.

We did the Capuchin church also and it is something to behold. Next door (about a block before) is the church Michelangelo designed. It doesn't look like much from the outside but is nice inside. Love to wander around Rome.

Also enjoying your report. This trip is on my to do sometime in the future. I'll also be doing it as a solo traveler since DH has absolutely no interest in going to Europe.

--Part 4: Day 2 of ABD--

Day two of the ABD started with a trip to the Coloseum, one of the most amazing relics of ancient Rome. I mentioned in another post that I was slightly disappointed with the "VIP" tour ABD promised-- because it didn't happen :( According to ABD's brochure, the tour of the colosseum is supposed to go to the third tier, and my vaccationista said it would go underground too. We did NEITHER. We went to the second floor only.

Major bummer, as nobody even explained and I never got a straight answer as to what caused this change. Fortunately, the night tour I took Saturday had taken me underground and to the ground floor (another place ABD didn't go) as well as the second tier. So I didn't miss anything but tier 3.

However, I really didn't expect such a change to the ABD itinerary. I suspect it was due to our schedule needing to be juggled around because of the Pope's Vatican blessing, which meant we needed to change day 3 (Vatican day).

Very disappointing nonetheless, but the only letdown from ABD that I have ever had on tour, so I guess I can forgive it.

-Part 4 to be continued later-​

His name is Michael Rodriguez. He's a VIP tour guide at Disneyland when he's not off leading a tour for ABD. He was amazing. I'll be stopping by Guest Relations in Disneyland when I'm there to say hi.
Michael is doing Italy? I've had Michael on the DIS BSM in Feb 2014 and we are doing ABD Italy in a month. Do you know if Michael is on the July 30?

Rapunzelllover, I too plan on having pre- and post- days on my trip. I plan on spending time w family (I am first generation American) in Avellino, Italy on my pre- days. I plan to also visit Pompeii, Paestum, Sorrento, Capri and Amalfi coast on my pre-days. My post days will be with other family members near Florence with a side trip to Pisa planned. Finally ending the trip in Milan, where I recently scored tix to see Michaelangelo's Last Supper!

I caught the last supper too! I went to Milan for a post-day. It's breathtaking! I made it to Pisa too.

You've got a heck of an itinerary silmarg. How long are you going for? Will you do a report?

I caught the last supper too! I went to Milan for a post-day. It's breathtaking!
How did you travel from Venice to Milan? Did you go by train?

We are thinking of going from Venice to Milan and I was wondering if the train would be a good way to do it. Would LOVE to try for tix of the Last Supper, although since we will be staying out near the airport, (to meet up with friends out there) not sure we will be able to do that along the way due to our luggage.

The train is the best way, kmc. Trenitalia's website can can help you book a trip. I suggest tickets in advance. Approximately 2hrs 40 mins from Venice to Milan. You will need to take a water taxi or the Vaparetto to the train station. Molino Stuckey can reserve you a taxi but it's expensive. 65 euros is what I paid each way to and from the station. I chose to avoid the Vaparetto cause I'm lazy and would rather pay to avoid the hassle.

Now, are you doing this post days? Cause if you aren't leaving from the Venice airport, then ABD could transfer you to the train station, instead of the airport, for your journey to Milan, as part of your tour.

Hope this helps.

I am renting a car for my pre- and post- days. We fly out at 10:15pm on Jul 23 and return on Aug 11. 19 days total.

I am flying into and out of Milan (airfare was affordable to Milan - $880 round trip/ non stop from JFK). Immediately taking highspeed train to Salerno. Renting a car for 6 days. Returning it at Rome Termini (train station) where ABD transfers will pick me up).

At the end of the ABD I've requested ABD transfer to the Mestre train station in Venice. From there I will rent a car for 5 days. Returning the car at Milan airport. (I managed to find a hotel in Milan that is near the city center w free parking!).

I'm following your report with interest as I will also be taking this ABD in October as a solo traveler! I'm also going in a few days early and staying at the Gran Melia pre-ABD to do Pompeii & Amalfi Coast, an eating tour of Trastevere and the crypts & catacombs.

I know Rome has a reputation for being a walking city. I'm curious as to whether you would be/were comfortable walking to sights solo? I notice in several of your entries you mentioned taxis or a driver picking you up at the hotel, and wondered if that was for convenience or safety considerations. Did you have any difficulties locating a taxi when you needed one?

I hope I don't sound overly paranoid. I've traveled solo fairly extensively in the U.S., but this will be my first trip overseas. I'm just trying to be prepared so I don't have to stress over which transportation options are the safest once I'm there.

Looking forward to your next update!

NanceC- I felt perfectly safe. The car thing is because Rome is big. You wouldn't be able to get to most places easily in a quick manner.

The hotel is close to St. Peter's/Vatican, so there's lots to explore. But you'll need transportation for the crypts/catacombs.

Your biggest safety issue is pickpockets. If you are fine solo in big US cities, you should be fine in Italy.

The hotel is close to St. Peter's/Vatican, so there's lots to explore.
Just wondering which hotel ABD is using in Rome these days. When we went last year it was the Hotel Bernini Bristol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter