UPDATED ONCE AGAIN!! 1-11-15: Trip review: Viva Italia, May 25- June 2nd, 2015

Glad you got to see *most* of the Trevi fountain. I'm sure the maintenance was necessary, but it's sad for folks who might never get back to Rome...

The Pantheon was the biggest piece missing when I did Rome during my ABD Med cruise add-on. They only had one day, so some things had to go, but I wish they'd included the Pantheon. But I can't think what they could have substituted it for... Guess I'll just have to go back some day! :)

Sayhello

Glad you got to see *most* of the Trevi fountain. I'm sure the maintenance was necessary, but it's sad for folks who might never get back to Rome...

The Pantheon was the biggest piece missing when I did Rome
during my ABD Med cruise add-on. They only had one day, so some things had to go, but I wish they'd included the Pantheon. But I can't
think what they could have substituted it for... Guess I'll just have to go back some day! :)
Sayhello

That's what you gotta keep telling yourself. It's the only way to cope with missing out.

-part 5 continued-

After gelato, I went back on the bus to the hotel (there was only one other guest who did this). I was glad for the transfer back because I wanted to rest and freshen up a bit before exploring more of Rome.

This turned out to be a really bad idea. I only stayed at the hotel for about 30-45 minutes, but when I left, the weather had changed.

It had been warm and sunny, but now clouds had arrived and it looked rainy. I hoped for the best, but no... rain started to fall.

I took a taxi to Santa Maria Maggiore, one of the other basilicas of Rome. It was my intention to visit both this basilica as well as San Giovanni en Laterano. Plus, I wanted to see La Scala Santa. The weather didn't alter my plans, but I sure got wet.

I had no umbrella, as I'd hoped for no rain. There were street sellers pushing them as I went into Santa Maria, but the rain wasn't too bad and I thought an umbrella would be too cumbersome, as I was just going into the church from where the cab dropped me off at the curb.

Santa Maria Maggiore is a lovely Basilica on par with any other church in Rome. There's not much to say about my visit other than it's a terrific church.

Leaving the basilica, I caught another taxi to go to San Giovanni. At this point, it was pouring. I had been waiting in the church to see if the rain would subside, but it didn't happen so I just went for it, covering my head with the plastic bag of purchases I had made at the church gift shop.

I thought about heading back to the hotel or breaking down to buy an umbrella, but I found a cab quickly (taxi rank was close). I really wasn't wet enough to derail my plans or get a cumbersome umbrella. I should point out that I generally don't mind getting rained on, and almost never use an umbrella.

Crazy, right?

Truthfully, the wet didn't start bothering me till after San Giovanni. That basilica used to be the home of the Pope, and it's HUGE. I spent a lot of time wandering around, and it's a pretty spectacular place, although I must say there's some really lousy lighting in some of these old churches that hindered sightseeing and picture taking.

Anyways, getting back to the rain, I left the church and the rain was a deluge. But, like a trooper, I ran across the street to La Scala Santa (the holy steps). I was hoping to climb them, but everyone was going up on their knees. That's the tradition, I guess, and I didn't want to look out of place, so I left. I'm a good Catholic, but no way am I going up steps on my knees. They're not strong enough.

Upon leaving Scala Santa, I ran into a real problem with the rain, cause I couldn't find a taxi. A woman in the church had pointed me in the direction of the taxi rank, but it was the wrong way. I ran around in circles for awhile, looking desperately-- then finally discovered the rank had been right next to Scala Santa all along, and I had been misled. I might have realized this only the sign saying taxi had been slightly hidden by a tree!

So by the time I reached the rank, I was soaked and not about to bother with umbrellas or anything cause it was too late. I waited about 20 minutes at the rank for a cab. The rain slowed traffic, I guess.

So I get in the cab; by this time I'd gotten so wet it just didn't matter anymore. I head back to the Grand Melia, rain pouring buckets.

But guess what?

By the time I reached the hotel, the rain had stopped!

That's mother nature for you!

--Part 5 to be continued

I too plan on taking a jaunt to St Giovanni in Laterno and Sancta Scala on the Vatican day where we get a bit of a break (our ABD is a few weeks from now).

I was planning on doing a subway. But maybe a cab makes sense.

I thought there were stairs adjacent to the Sancta steps so you can see the artifacts at the top. Did you not bother doing that?

San Giovanni is great. I'd go. And yes, Scala Santa has alternate steps. But I didn't realize that they go to the top, so no I didn't stay. Your post taught me something. I had thought those steps went to a different place.

If you haven't done so... Get the Rick Steves app. It has audio walking tours of various places. I plan to use it for Pompeii and the Uffizi gallery.

I just want to give you a heads up about the Uffizi and the Rick Steves guide: When we were there in December, the galleries had been rearranged, and some closed, to the point that it was very difficult to follow the course laid out by the app's walking tour. For example, the very first painting which is the start of the walking tour, Giotto's Madonna, was not on display.

Many "big deal" paintings were in temporary galleries on another level completely, that we did not discover until we were exiting the Uffizi. There was no signage to tell you this, and we got very frustrated during our main touring. We finally hit exhaustion and decided it was time to leave, only to discover the temporary galleries on the way out and realize we had at least another hour of touring to do if we wanted to see what we had come to see! This included the Venus of Urbino and the Madonna of the Long Neck.

Fortunately, the app makes it really easy to jump around and listen to the track for the painting in front of you. Just don't rely on the walking directions to find the art!

Good old Rick, though, with his punny approach, did give us a new catch phrase: at one point in the tour he suggests a rest for your "tired U-feetsies!"

Definitely ......on our trip (with another company) we had an excellent guide and we still only saw a fraction of the great work of arts in the Uffizi.

I am back with more of my trip report! Sorry, but life's been crazy busy-- gotta work for my travel money! But I will be finishing it, and working one up for Ireland.

--Part 5-- finished-- So the rain had stopped just in time for our after hours tour of the Vatican. We hopped in the bus, and arrived the entrance to Vatican for our private, after hours tour. This, by far, is absolutely amazing. But a couple things:

1. You won't see but a fraction of the collection; it is just a taste. But you get to all the major spots-- the gallery of maps, Raphael's rooms, etc. In fact, those are pretty much the only major places we stopped. But it's totally worth seeing them without all the crowds.

2. You will not likely get to go outside due to the after hours nature of the tour, so be prepared that the Pinecone Courtyard, etc. probably won't be visited.

3. The primary purpose of the tour is really the grand daddy: The Sistine Chapel. Depending on your guards, you might get to take pics--we did. Also, I think depending on time, you can get anywhere from 10-45 minutes alone in the Chapel. We had about 45 minutes. It was extraordinary. And so great that your guides can actually talk, since due to crowds, guided lectures are prohibited during normal hours.

4. There may be time for the souvenir shop, but not much, so it might be a good idea to have in mind what type of souvenir you want so you can shop quickly. All in all, a total highlight of my trip, and my life. You will never forget this if you do this trip.

--End part 5--

I have to agree with you that a private tour is the way to go as far as the Sistine Chapel. On our tour we got pictures and videos. Plus as you have said having a guide to point out the ceiling really helps....it is almost overwhelming. Still love following along Rapinzellover.

Yep. Taking a private tour of the Sistine Chapel is on my bucket list. What an awesome experience!

--Part 6--

Day 6-- (ABD day 4)

This day was pretty much a travel day because we were leaving Rome for the Tuscan countryside.

Some thoughts on the Grand Melia Roma before we leave Rome. It was a very nice hotel, with excellent service, and rather nice rooms. The showers are a bit weird (they are all glass and you need to turn down the blinds, or everyone in the room can watch you shower), but they are nice.

The location is good too. Except climbing the hill that the hotel is atop is exhausting. Fortunately, the guides knew shortcuts. ‎This was also the hotel with the best breakfast, imo. Just some thoughts on the hotel for you.

Anyway, this was mostly travel day, so we hopped in our coach and traveled to the countryside. First stop, to break up the travel, was the town of Orvieto. We took the funicular up the hill and walked through the town. It's a great village. I went in the Duomo, which is amazing and very colorful. There's also some really great hilltop views, so I spent some time at a couple overlooks, admiring scenery.

Word of warning; there's little shopping time in Rome, and many were ready shop the Orvieto shops during free time. If you do this trip, pace yourself as you're shopping here, cause there's great stores in Florence and Venice and you'll end up way overstuffed and broke if you start purchasing too much too fast. Soak in the views is my recommendation. And save your wine and olive oil purchasing for Borgo Di Cortefreda and Sara's farm. Much better product, imo.

So after Orvieto, we drove to Relais Gli Ulivi, our stop for lunch. Beautiful spot, with beautiful food-- gnocchi, lasagna, etc. It was served family style and al fresco (outdoors). We also had torta di nonna, or grandmother's cake-- delicious. It was one junior adventurer's birthday, so we sang for her. Great fun.

Here, another word of warning: these two days in Tuscany are all about eating and drinking and having relaxing fun. There's an abundance of food, all terrific, and wine, also terrific, and you will eat like you've probably only do at Thanksgiving. Again, pace yourself. And be forewarned and bring elastic waist pants, lol.

After lunch, it was off to the hotel Borgo di Cortefreda, after one more pit stop for bathroom break. This is a lovely villa in the country, but not as modern as the Grand Melia. The drive is a little weird too, as the roads aren't ultra modern. I can see why they change hotels at Christmas time in bad weather.

There was a small, short welcome reception, and some time to change/relax/unpack. Then it was time for dinner. I swear eating/drinking must be the official sport of Tuscany. We had a wine tasting before dinner was served. I know nothing about wines, but thought they were pretty much all good. I don't drink much, so I didn't partake in too much drinking, but if you like wine, this is the place.

The food was even more abundant than lunch; again served family style. Pastas, meats, veggies; I tried as much as I could, but it was impossible to eat it all, imo. This was junior adventurer night too; the kids were tasting Italian soda. I joked with Troy (remember, the guides are Troy and Marco B) that it was ageist and adults like sodas too, so he had the kids chose their favs, and then he brought me that one to taste! This is what makes the ABD guides so great, little things like this.

This was also a time to buy food stuffs from Borgo di Cortefreda's stock. They had great wines, olive oil, and beauty products made out of olive oil (soaps, shampoos and creams, which are in the hotel rooms). I bought a bottle of wine (Chianti), a bottle of Olive Oil, and a jar of a milk and honey spread which was like a white nutella. All so yummy. Dinner ended late and then it was time for bed. ‎

----END Part 6------

We did the same ABD in late July... For folks who want to get an idea what a private tour of the Vatican museum really means... its really private

IMG_2571.jpg IMG_2611.jpg IMG_0054.jpg

-Part 7--

Day 7 (ABD day 5)

So today's Tuscany adventure was going to Sara's farm, Fattoria Poggio Alloro, for a short tour and pasta making activity. There's not too much to be said for this day, really, as I'm from the farmland of the California Central Valley, and I'm not impressed by farms and cows and vineyards, as I grew up and live around them.

It was fun watching the kids enjoy themselves, and I did get to see a couple varieties of cows I'm unfamiliar with, so I wouldn't say it was totally boring, just not something I'd probably have chosen for myself on my own.

Pasta making was good messy fun, but I'm not ambitious enough to do it on my own (any pasta I make will always be with the pasta maker--by hand is too time consuming and tricky), so it wasn't a skill I'm gonna use again. But I really loved Sara's stories. She's great.

Now, we had lunch and wine tasting scheduled at the farm, but I had made arrangements with Marco to get a car out to Pisa, so I could see the sights there. The farm graciously served me a course of pasta, and it was really good, and I caught the start of the wine tasting, but skipped the rest of the lunch to get out to the leaning tower. Frankly, with all the Tuscan food, I figured I could stand to miss.

Marco set up a great driver for me, and it was a nice smooth drive to Pisa. I set up a tour of the town with Walks of Italy, and my guide and I toured the beautiful Campo Santo, the Cathedral and the piazza of miracles. We didn't make it in to the baptistry, but that was because the tour included skip the line tickets to climb the leaning tower.

The climb takes awhile, as you have one way up and one way down. Thus, you stop a lot to let people go by. But that's a good chance to catch your breath anyway; it's a pretty good climb-- about 300 stairs. The top of the tower gives a great view of the whole town of Pisa....but I doubt I'll ever do this climb again, as the leaning nature of the tower made coming down in particular a precarious thing.

After the climb, the tour was pretty much over, and I had plans to meet my driver to go back to the hotel; I wanted to return in time for dinner. I returned with time to spare, and I must say again, that Marco did a fantastic job choosing the driver, and was even in contact with him to make sure all was well with us. The ABD guides are so stellar in these little things.
I was glad to see Pisa, even if it was a quick visit, and also glad I got back in time for the dinner that night, as it was a good one. More on that later.

--Part 7 to be continued--‎

I think you made a great decision going to Pisa. I agree with you that with so much history in Florence and Pisa why "waste" a day outside in the countryside. The Cathedral was amazing with all the history of different marble posts brought back by the Pisa army from those conquests. I'm sorry you did not go into the baptistery. We had a tour and on the top of the hour a guide pops in and sings a long musical note which holds it's tone and shows how great the acoustics are inside. Rick Steves has a program which highlights this event. The guides do a great job satisfying your wishes don't they?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter