Update -- Pigeon Forge/Gaitlinburg, TN - Just back!!!

Missouri --- thanks for your trip report. Your itinerary sounds similar to what we'd like to see. We are leaning toward a cabin rental since we'll be traveling with my parents and there will be six of us. That's a good idea to do most of our sightseeing during the early daytime and evening. I hadn't thought of that but that's actually how we do WDW in the warmer months so it makes sense!

You're welcome, MinMouse. It's always fun to get information when planning a trip. We're heading to Colorado this year, and maybe Disney next year.

Have a great trip!

We stayed in Sevierville last Sept. I was STUNNED how hot that place was. I thought we were going to the mountains and it would be cool. Boy was I wrong! No offense to the people who live there, but I was not that fond of it. I wish we had gotten a cabin in the mountains. We stayed at the Fairfield or Wyndham Smokey Mountain resort. Nice place, lots of construction and HOT!

That pretty much sums it up. I have lived here 18 years and have no idea why people flock here year after year. No offense to those who like vacationing here , we need the business ;)

The heat is probably my biggest concern. We've been to WDW in August and found it sweltering. So I'm hoping the mountains will be cooler! Thanks for the input!

It will be HOT. Maybe not Florida in August hot but it gets very hot here. Heck it was 70 this morning, though it was a freak thing. It has been in the 60's all week. Like another poster said it is cooler in the mountains, so if you want to do any hiking you get a little relief from the heat.

I appreciate your input. Would you assume the entire summer is peak season? We're hoping to enjoy the "natural attractions" as we've never taken a "mountain" vacation and staying in a cabin so we have a place to retreat to. I think some of the "miracle mile" will appeal to the girls though and hopefully everyone will be happy.

As someone who lives right off the main road into town from the interstate , there isn't much of a slow season anymore. Right now it is the spring break crowds and then comes the summer crowds. The middle to end of August should be lighter but just understand that on the weekends it does get crowded and you might sit in some traffic and wait to eat at some popular restaurants.

I think just like any vacation a little planning goes a long way. Just be prepared and you can have a good time and not be disappointed. :)

Min - I would suggest Pigeon Forge - it's in the center of the towns!

About Cherokee - we went a while ago - in the daytime - it was gross - dirty, icky, and old. My opinion. Also went over there in October - with my aunts, they were here for my mother's birthday - got there around 9:30 on a Friday night and everything was closed (except for Harrah's ;) ).

It will be busy, but we live in Sevierville, and our business is in Gatlinburg - we travel between the 2 towns (about 5 miles) 6 days a week - if you plan your days right, you will not be stuck in traffic for hours. If you come in to town on a Friday/Saturday afternoon, you will be stuck in a back up on Hwy. 66. If you leave after check out on Sunday (when everyone else does), you will be in heavy traffic leaving town. Come in earlier on Friday/Saturday, or even on Sunday... leave a couple of hours after checkout on Sunday, or plan your trip for mid-week arrival and departure to avoid some of the crowds. Oh, and everyone shops at Wal Mart Sunday afternoon, after getting into town Fri/Sat... grr, I've had to go there on Sunday a couple of times the past year...

There are also bypass roads, "back roads"... if you have navigation, you can see them, or pm me for info!

MinMouse if you guys are driving as I'm sure you are and you come through Cherokee, as you go up Hwy 441 towards Gatlinburg stop at Clingmans Dome (elv. 6643 ft) it will be right before you get to New Found Gap (on the right) which is the divide between NC and Tn. It is worth the stop and the climb to the over look tower at the top if you can make it. Then stop at New Found Gap and spend a few minutes there with the camera as the view will be breath taking.
Another thing that is good to have if you have a laptop is microsoft Streets & Trip with the GPS unit. It allows you to track your progress on screen.
I never leave home without it!!!;)

And I second tinatark comments about Cherokee, nice to go right on through and keep going.
If you can post your driving route as there are other sights worth seeing. Just need to know if you will be close enough.

we're going to gatlinburg next month for spring break (no wdw this year :( ) and we rented a cabin for $125.00 a night (it'll sleep 8 if necessary, but there's only 3 of us) from mountainchalets.com.

We just got back on Friday from our spring break in Gatlinburg. We too rented from mountainchalets.com. Sadly I didn't notice that I had rented a smoking is okay cabin :eek: which was icky, the cabin was older and the carpet needed cleaning and flooring was not great. All that being said, I would definately rent from them again. The people were wonderfully nice, the maintenance people were incredibly prompt (10 minutes one time and an immediate call back with a visit while were were out) one problem with fp one with heat/air), the cabin was outfitted with every kitchen utensil/appliance imaginable from a crockpot to a milkshake maker. Our view was spectacular. If you are a smoker or do not mind a smoking cabin, we really did enjoy "deerfoot ridge".

Also, if you are up for a drive and a bit of an expense, we drove over to Asheville and went to the Biltmore. Fantastic day!

Thanks for all the responses. My head is spinning a little bit with the choices. How did you all determine exactly where you wanted to stay --- Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge and what part of each area? There are so many places that look wonderful.

Well, when we stayed at StarrCrest, my sister who lives near Kingsport treated us. She wanted to be close to Dollywood and it really is almost next door. What I liked about that place also was the views of Mt. Leconte. Gorgeous!

We drove through Gatlinburg which is about 5 miles away from Pigeon Forge. Gatlinburg is a walking town while P.F. is not and is closer to the GSMNP. The kids were enthralled and begged to stay there next time. We knew we wanted a cabin with a decked out gameroom, comparable to StarrCrest resort, so some research later, I found Gatlinburg Falls.

Pigeon Forge is more like Coastal Hwy in Ocean City MD, or the main drag at Myrtle Beach. Gatlinburg has more of small town charm, and as I said is a walking town. But it also has many of the usual tourist attractions such as mini-golf and the Ripley's attractions. I am looking forward to shopping on the Arts and Crafts Loop which is near Gatlinburg.

I would suggest going to DiscoverTheSmokies.com and also the TripAdvisor forums on both PF and GBurg to help you decide.

Good luck,

Mary

The hubby and I go at least once a year. We usually stay at Cobbly Nob which is a several miles out of Gatlinburg but still convenient. There you would have access to a golf course and I think they have several pools spread around the cabin area. We stay at God's Little Acre but there are many cabins to choose from. www.cobblynob.com. We are going the last week of October and can hardly wait.

OMG your post just flooded my mind with memories! Growing up, my Grandparents had their summer home in Cobbly Nob! (they lived in NJ and had a summer home there and a winter home on Hutchison Island, FL). I had forgotten the name of the place, till I read this!

When they lived there the mountain was a gated community, all owned homes. I see they bought them all and now rent.

Here is my grandparents house!
http://www.cobblynob.com/bears_den.htm

Its right down the street from the double decker pool with the slide between the levels (I'm assuming that still exists!)

WOW.. .just wow.. .I wanna go back! :cloud9: Prices are real reasonable, too. I had great memories of those summers! They left, I believe, in 1984 or 85. I was married and didn't go down in 85 so I don't remember.

MinMouse if you guys are driving as I'm sure you are and you come through Cherokee,

Yes, we are driving from Wilmington, DE (just south of Philadelphia, PA). So we won't be coming through Cherokee. So I think our travel will be I95 south through Md, DC, to Route 66 West, to 81 West. It maps out to about 10 hours of driving. At this point we're planning on doing it in one shot (we are very used to long distance driving). But if there is anything notable to see along the way that'd be great to know.

We just got back on Friday from our spring break in Gatlinburg. We too rented from mountainchalets.com. Sadly I didn't notice that I had rented a smoking is okay cabin :eek: which was icky, the cabin was older and the carpet needed cleaning and flooring was not great. All that being said, I would definately rent from them again. The people were wonderfully nice, the maintenance people were incredibly prompt (10 minutes one time and an immediate call back with a visit while were were out) one problem with fp one with heat/air), the cabin was outfitted with every kitchen utensil/appliance imaginable from a crockpot to a milkshake maker. Our view was spectacular. If you are a smoker or do not mind a smoking cabin, we really did enjoy "deerfoot ridge".

Also, if you are up for a drive and a bit of an expense, we drove over to Asheville and went to the Biltmore. Fantastic day!

Thanks for the info. We are all non-smokers so we'll make sure to rent a non-smoking cabin. I can't stand it when we end up with a smoking hotel room so an entire week would be tough. I've seen pics of the Biltmore . . . that must've been awesome! How far was Asheville?

Well, when we stayed at StarrCrest, my sister who lives near Kingsport treated us. She wanted to be close to Dollywood and it really is almost next door. What I liked about that place also was the views of Mt. Leconte. Gorgeous!

We drove through Gatlinburg which is about 5 miles away from Pigeon Forge. Gatlinburg is a walking town while P.F. is not and is closer to the GSMNP. The kids were enthralled and begged to stay there next time. We knew we wanted a cabin with a decked out gameroom, comparable to StarrCrest resort, so some research later, I found Gatlinburg Falls.

Pigeon Forge is more like Coastal Hwy in Ocean City MD, or the main drag at Myrtle Beach. Gatlinburg has more of small town charm, and as I said is a walking town. But it also has many of the usual tourist attractions such as mini-golf and the Ripley's attractions. I am looking forward to shopping on the Arts and Crafts Loop which is near Gatlinburg.

I would suggest going to DiscoverTheSmokies.com and also the TripAdvisor forums on both PF and GBurg to help you decide.

Good luck,

Mary

Thanks for the info. I love looking at all the websites everyone's suggested.

http://www.cobblynob.com/bears_den.htmWOW.. .just wow.. .I wanna go back! :cloud9: Prices are real reasonable, too. I had great memories of those summers! They left, I believe, in 1984 or 85. I was married and didn't go down in 85 so I don't remember.

Hockeymom --- you should definitely go back with your family. It looks like a great place with an amazing view (and room enough for your entire brood!). That would be really fun.

We stayed at Westgate Smoky Mountains Timeshare in a 2 Bedroom unit for 60.00 a night! They were beautiful units, had great kitchens, laundry machines, etc. When we checked in, we told them we'd like to try the indoor water park, and were given free passes!!!

Now, on the day before we left, we did have to sit through a timeshare presentation (free breakfast, and a 90 min hardsell!!) and we simply told them there was no way we were going to buy that day. They called a manager, who dropped the price, and we told him the same thing. Then "Rob" came for the final pitch and a "prepaid vacation" offer, we told him, we never bought without researching, and needed to do so. Period. We left. They saw at least 150 families that day. Read up on Westagate ... hard sell, but beautiful properties.

If you have NO in you, and are sure of it, is was a very inexpensive vacay with a great location, indoor waterpark, beautiful accommodations, and close to Gatlinburg (2 mins by car to the heart of downtown!).

We passed on the shows -- not our thing. We loved several local restaurants, and the Aquarium, hiking, etc.

We have been 3 times. We got married there too! Last visit we rented a Chalet and LOVED it! We had 9 people and had a blast!

Tons of stuff to do and great atmosphere!

Great family vaca place! I have AWESOME pictures from there. I don't think my post count is high enough to post them though.

Jackie

Thanks for the info. We are all non-smokers so we'll make sure to rent a non-smoking cabin. I can't stand it when we end up with a smoking hotel room so an entire week would be tough. I've seen pics of the Biltmore . . . that must've been awesome! How far was Asheville?

Asheville was about 90 minutes away. The drive is probably 3/4 or more on the interstate. Beautiful drive, but if your kids are prone to motion sickness, dramamine is recommended.

OMG your post just flooded my mind with memories! Growing up, my Grandparents had their summer home in Cobbly Nob! (they lived in NJ and had a summer home there and a winter home on Hutchison Island, FL). I had forgotten the name of the place, till I read this!

When they lived there the mountain was a gated community, all owned homes. I see they bought them all and now rent.

http://www.cobblynob.com/bears_den.htm

Its right down the street from the double decker pool with the slide between the levels (I'm assuming that still exists!)

WOW.. .just wow.. .I wanna go back! :cloud9: Prices are real reasonable, too. I had great memories of those summers! They left, I believe, in 1984 or 85. I was married and didn't go down in 85 so I don't remember.

Glad I bring back some good memories. I love the view from that cabin, you should make plans to return fo a visit.

Biltmore House also has summer evening concerts in case you're interested. August 9th--REO Speedwagon, August 15th--Beach Boys. There are other bands listed on their site. If you're up for a scenic, but longer drive to Asheville, you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Cherokee, NC and drive to Asheville. Some of the most beautiful scenery of the Smokies is from the Parkway.

Thanks to this thread....We are going to the Smokies in June!!! I have been there about 20 times and have not been back in 7 years. Thanks for all the great info. And thanks to the Governments refund check that will be funding this.

OP here. . . . just wanted to say THANKS to everyone who gave such great tips for Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Since orginally posting my brother's family has decided to join us also. So now it's my parents, bro + 2 kids and the 4 of us. So as of this morning we've rented a cabin in Gatlinburg Falls and we're so excited about our trip! Of course, anymore tips you have about this area is greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on making the ressies! I think you made a great choice. The best advice I can give you is to read the two websites I posted before. You can also post questions on both the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge forums on TripAdvisor and they are really friendly there. I know one lady has stayed at a few of the Gatlinburg Falls cabins and she seems to know quite a bit about the resort.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful time!

Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter