Update -- Pigeon Forge/Gaitlinburg, TN - Just back!!!

We leave our camper in PF on a seasonal spot each year so I spend most weekends from May - Sept in PF.

Some hotel recommendations from past experience:

Music Road Inn
Music Road Hotel
Christmas Inn
Mainstay Suites
Comfort Inn Apple Valley
Econo Lodge Riverside
Comfort Inn - (One across from Dollywood Lane)
Ramada Limited Suites - Dollywood Lane

Thanks for the hotel recommendations. We're leaning toward renting a cabin since there will definitely be 6 of us and we may have up to 10.

we're going to gatlinburg next month for spring break (no wdw this year :( ) and we rented a cabin for $125.00 a night (it'll sleep 8 if necessary, but there's only 3 of us) from mountainchalets.com. the ppl were REALLY nice and the cabin looks gorgeous. it's called "black bear den". we're looking forward to visiting cades cove and cherokee, nc-especially the museum of the cherokee indian (DH's great, great (great?) grandfather was a cherokee chief). we may or may not do the aquarium, since we've been to the TN aquarium in chattanooga twice. also want to ride the lift up the mountain and maybe ice skate at ober gatlinburg. i'd love to go horseback riding or white water rafting, but i don't think DH will go for those. DD wants to "mine" for gems, lol, she doesn't care what she gets, she just wants to mine for something.

Dissenter here.....Gatlinburg+Sevierville+Pigeon Forge=One Huge Miracle Mile full of go-kart tracks, mini golf, outlet malls, outdated hotels, Ripley's Believe It or Not Attractions, and fast food restaurants. The smokies are beautiful, but everything is so spread out - you end up in the car the whole time. Also the traffic on the main drag is brutal unless you go during the off season. Not one of my favorite vacation spots at all, but as you can see from the responses, plenty of folks love it.

If you will have kids with you, Nascar Speedpark was one of my kids absolute favorite things to do and the Alpine Slide at Ober Gatlinburg was also a hit. We do have family that work at Dollywood, so we got a ton of discounts, but it can be a very expensive vacation if you want to do a lot of the attractions.

We did enjoy hiking, but be prepared to get wet - it rains all the time during the warmer months. Not really the same as FLA where it usually rains once in the afternoon. The clouds and rain come and go all the time. I'm not trying to be a downer, just letting you know that not everyone is a fan.....

I do think if you were there during wildflower season and stuck close to the "natural" attractions, it could be very interesting. I do hope you will like it, and that you have a great vacation if you decide to visit!!!

we're going to gatlinburg next month for spring break (no wdw this year :( ) and we rented a cabin for $125.00 a night (it'll sleep 8 if necessary, but there's only 3 of us) from mountainchalets.com. the ppl were REALLY nice and the cabin looks gorgeous. it's called "black bear den". we're looking forward to visiting cades cove and cherokee, nc-especially the museum of the cherokee indian (DH's great, great (great?) grandfather was a cherokee chief). we may or may not do the aquarium, since we've been to the TN aquarium in chattanooga twice. also want to ride the lift up the mountain and maybe ice skate at ober gatlinburg. i'd love to go horseback riding or white water rafting, but i don't think DH will go for those. DD wants to "mine" for gems, lol, she doesn't care what she gets, she just wants to mine for something.

I'll check out that website next. You all are a wealth of information. I knew I came to the right place. It's just nicer to "know" someone who can refer a good place. I would love to hear your review of the Black Bear Den when you return. Thanks!

My wife and I honeymooned there and have been 2-3 times a year every year since (for 17 years!). We have stayed in hotels, some good and some bad, and mostly in cabins. Our best experience has been with Mountain Rentals of Gatlinburg.
http://www.mountainchalets.com/

Can't really add much to the previous posts. It is not a spot that appeals to my family. That said, I am taking my girl scout troop the first weekend of April (they voted). With moms and girls, there will be 11 or 12 of us. We will be staying at Governor's Crossing in Sevierville. We got a 3 bedroom / 3 bath condo that sleeps 14 for $229/night. It has an indoor pool/mini waterpark. Might be worth looking at if you want to be in the middle of it all and not be in a hotel.

Dissenter here.....Gatlinburg+Sevierville+Pigeon Forge=One Huge Miracle Mile full of go-kart tracks, mini golf, outlet malls, outdated hotels, Ripley's Believe It or Not Attractions, and fast food restaurants. The smokies are beautiful, but everything is so spread out - you end up in the car the whole time. Also the traffic on the main drag is brutal unless you go during the off season. Not one of my favorite vacation spots at all, but as you can see from the responses, plenty of folks love it.

If you will have kids with you, Nascar Speedpark was one of my kids absolute favorite things to do and the Alpine Slide at Ober Gatlinburg was also a hit. We do have family that work at Dollywood, so we got a ton of discounts, but it can be a very expensive vacation if you want to do a lot of the attractions.

We did enjoy hiking, but be prepared to get wet - it rains all the time during the warmer months. Not really the same as FLA where it usually rains once in the afternoon. The clouds and rain come and go all the time. I'm not trying to be a downer, just letting you know that not everyone is a fan.....

I do think if you were there during wildflower season and stuck close to the "natural" attractions, it could be very interesting. I do hope you will like it, and that you have a great vacation if you decide to visit!!!

I appreciate your input. Would you assume the entire summer is peak season? We're hoping to enjoy the "natural attractions" as we've never taken a "mountain" vacation and staying in a cabin so we have a place to retreat to. I think some of the "miracle mile" will appeal to the girls though and hopefully everyone will be happy.

Minmouse, August is the slowest of the summer months (June, July, August) - schools are starting back and not as many people are here (I live in Sevierville).

To the poster who may not go to the Aquarium in Gatlinburg - it is NOTHING like the one in Chattanooga, a little similar to the one in Atlanta.

There are several Ripley's attractions here, but they are all well-run, clean businesses. There are also many locally owned, well operated businesses.

It will be hot in August, but with a drive into the National Park you will usually see a 10+ degree temp. drop.

There is SO much to do - a couple of tricks - both Wonderworks and Nascar Speedpark have all-day passes - you can go early in the day, leave and shop, swim, whatever, then go back. Nascar closes as the crowds dictate, Wonderworks is open until midnight. There is also a free mini-golf place at Nascar. The national park is something else - there are many places you can go for a short hike or picnic - go to the welcome center (just follow the "Spur" - you can't miss it!) and look at the info/maps posted there! Oh! Dollywood always has their "next day free" promotion - if you get there at 3 or later, the next day is free!

I have been looking for a place to stay there is June. DH and I got married there 10 years ago this June so we are planning to take DD this year. We stayed at a tiny cabin when we got married. It was at Douglas Lake and was so much fun. DH and I got married on horseback. So we want her to see where it all started. :)

Thanks for all the info on places to stay.

Minmouse, August is the slowest of the summer months (June, July, August) - schools are starting back and not as many people are here (I live in Sevierville).

To the poster who may not go to the Aquarium in Gatlinburg - it is NOTHING like the one in Chattanooga, a little similar to the one in Atlanta.

There are several Ripley's attractions here, but they are all well-run, clean businesses. There are also many locally owned, well operated businesses.

It will be hot in August, but with a drive into the National Park you will usually see a 10+ degree temp. drop.

There is SO much to do - a couple of tricks - both Wonderworks and Nascar Speedpark have all-day passes - you can go early in the day, leave and shop, swim, whatever, then go back. Nascar closes as the crowds dictate, Wonderworks is open until midnight. There is also a free mini-golf place at Nascar. The national park is something else - there are many places you can go for a short hike or picnic - go to the welcome center (just follow the "Spur" - you can't miss it!) and look at the info/maps posted there! Oh! Dollywood always has their "next day free" promotion - if you get there at 3 or later, the next day is free!

Thanks for the "insider info!" We're looking at renting a cabin. We've seen some in Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg . . . which location do you think would be best? We're looking forward to relaxing at the cabin but want to be able to have easy access to the national park and the fun amusements that are in the area.

If it is a relaxing vacation you want, then my suggestion would be to continue through the park and stay in Cherokee, NC. I say this because Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is very very very congested. Lots of traffic. It can take forever to get to any destination. Also, it is the typical "tourist trap". Crap stores and and junk attractions every inch of the way. Your kids (if you have them) will be whining the whole trip, "I want to go there," "I want to see that," etc. And it's all JUNK!!! My family much prefers to spend our time in the park. If it is relaxation, and communing with nature that you are looking for, you will NOT find it in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

Minmouse...yes, we stayed for a week. They offer a year-round deal of stay 6 nights and get the 7th free. We stayed in Big Timber...right across from the pool. This was a very relaxing vacation, not as much constant "on the go" as our WDW trips. We went in late June, and did not find the traffic to be that bad. Pigeon Forge is nice because it's the town inbetween Sevierville and Gatlinburg, so it's pretty centrally located. My friend stayed in a cabin out in the mountains near Gatlinburg and ended up regretting it. She wished they had stayed closer to the attractions. They didn't go to half of the things they had planned on, due to commuting times and young children that needed naps, etc.

My dd just got back tonight from Gatlinburg Falls cabins. She LOVED them. She said the views were gorgeous and it was like a lodge, not like a cabin. They seem to be pretty affordable, too.

Have fun!

I'm checking out that website as we speak. Any particular cabin you enjoyed most?

Well most of the ones we stayed in are couple (two people) units but all their units are top notch. You cannot really go wrong with any of them. They used to be called Stanfil's Rentals. They are really good people.

If you are looking to have the kids entertained, I think that either Gatlinburg Falls or Starrcrest resorts have the best cabins. They have game rooms that fully decked out with arcade games and pool tables and air hockey, foosball. You can't go wrong with either resort. StarrCrest is almost right next to Dollywood and Gatlinburg Falls is right off the main drag in Gatlinburg. Both resorts have small pools also and of course have the standard hot tubs on the decks.

Have fun!

Mary

We're leaving this weekend for our first ever trip to Gatlinburg. After doing some research, we rented a cabin at Gatlinburg Falls. (cabinsofthesmokymountains.com) The cabins look amazing on the internet, but who knows?? I'll try to remember to let you know how it was when we return.

Thanks for all the responses. My head is spinning a little bit with the choices. How did you all determine exactly where you wanted to stay --- Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge and what part of each area? There are so many places that look wonderful.

We went to Pigeon Forge/Gatlnburg last June for the first time and loved it. We would like to go back sometime. We have a 10 year old daughter, and she enjoyed it.

We did things probably a little more budget than most. We stayed at a Super 8 the week before "peak season" and it was only $29 a night with a coupon we found locally. The place was newer and clean, and it had continental breakfast, pool, and hot tub. It was fine for a family of three who likes to spend money on other things, if possible.

We did Cades Cove and Roaring Fork. They were both great, but the trail we saw the bear on was Roaring Fork. Both have old cabins along the route and you can purchase little booklets that tell about the people who lived there at the visitor's center. These are under a dollar each.

We did two days at Dollywood. We were there at rope drop both days and left around three each day. It was pretty warm when we left. We have a season pass to Silver Dollar City attractions, so our tickets were free last year. (This year, I believe they only offer half-price.) Be sure to ride the trolley if it works out economically for you. Parking is $7 at Dollywood, but you can ride the trolley for 50 cents a person both ways from the transfer station where you can park for free.

We also did the Splash Country waterpark for a half day. Again, we rode the trolley.

We went to the Ripley's aquarium. We liked it a lot. We rode the trolley from Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg so we wouldn't have to find a parking place once we were there. We also walked around Gatlinburg that day. It's fun just to browse up and down the sidewalks.

We spent an afternoon at Ober Gatlinburg. We rode a ski-lift up a mountain. My daughter and husband had never been on a ski-lift. This is also where the apline racer thing is. They also have ice-skating inside a mall.

Our room had a fridge and a microwave, so sometimes we ate sandwiches and snacks in our room. We also grilled out twice--once in a city park near Gatlinburg and once in the picnic area near Cades Cove. We ate at the Old Mill resturant one night and the Great American Steak Buffet two nights. We liked both. We also ate two meals inside Dollywood. We had BBQ both times there.

Sorry if this is long, but we really had a good time. When we were planning the trip, we couldn't find a lot of info. We did stay the first night at a place we had read about, but it was $60 a night for an older room that was not in its best form. We checked out there and found the place we did stay at the next morning. There are lots of cabin rentals in the area. We were the most active in the mornings and evenings. We often went back to the motel in the afternoon to cool off, and this was in June.

Have a great trip! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter