• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

UPDATE p. 37. I finally canceled. Too much uncertainty for us.

Yes, but additional FPs will come same-day. A reason for the logjam today is both systems are running concurrently in a manner the neither were designed to. Once the old goes dark you will be amazed at how many people don't use the FP+.

Not quite sure I'm following you, here.

Disney invests heavily in a new system designed to proactively manage Park throughput and capacity.

In order for the system to provide this capability, Disney will need to heavily market it as a huge advantage to booking as soon as possible and ensure every CM and TA booking packages pushes this and aids in making FP+ reservations for guests.

We already have one Park tiered and bottlenecks for FP+/FP Legacy at some major headliners while a large percentage of Disney guests still are not participating in the program and Disney having not started aggressively marketing the program.

If we are amazed at the number of guests not participating in FP+, it would seem Disney has failed at their stated purpose.

None of this bothers me, because I don't sweat the small stuff. If I can't ride a particular ride, I'll hit it next time. There's so much more to Disney than just the rides. I like to shop, tour resorts, people watch, eat, swim, and just enjoy the fact that I'm at Disney and not home working, cooking and cleaning. :)
29 trips to Disney World and counting...next stop POFQ March 2014:lovestruc

So glad to hear this !!! I am VERY excited about the MB's. I love the MDE, I already have fast passes for all the headliners, no rushing to run & get them, LOVE LOVE LOVE that !!!!!!

Can't wait, ONE WEEK away & I will report on our findings when we return. We have not been back sine 12/2010, so I am so excited !!!

I could NEVER get a fast pass for Toy Story Mania & now I don't have to make a mad dash to get one !!! Woo Hoo !!:dance3:

I Guess that is how I felt for our August trip. I never once had a pull a FP-. I just used our FP+ and it was perfect. But we never pulled more than 4 tops in a day anyway. But we go for 12 days disney and 4 at universal. So I feel we are fine.

None of this bothers me, because I don't sweat the small stuff. If I can't ride a particular ride, I'll hit it next time. There's so much more to Disney than just the rides. I like to shop, tour resorts, people watch, eat, swim, and just enjoy the fact that I'm at Disney and not home working, cooking and cleaning. :)
29 trips to Disney World and counting...next stop POFQ March 2014:lovestruc

What about the family that doesn't know if there will be a next time? They may sweat the small stuff a little more than you. I don't think anyone is disputing that this will work for some guests, but I see more threads with people concerned about it than not concerned about it. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

You do realize I had two replies to two different people? And the second was the one who implied that anyone who doesn't blindly accept anything that Disney does as great, doesn't love disney? That is the locality comment I made. You can say Disney hasn't gone "down hill" all you like. That is your opinion and you are more than welcome to it. I just can't fully agree. The canceling of shows in every park, the increased break down of rides, the homogeneous nature of the gift shop merchandise, fewer CMs on shifts, the lightened training for new hires, the standardizing of menus, the ever increasing prices, etc are all documentable fact. Disney isn't what it used to be. It just isn't. It doesn't mean I don't love Disney, it's because I do that it bothers me. And you are right, the customer base has changed. Disney has marketed itself that it is a must do for all kids. Get people in there that have to save for 1, 3, 5-10 years to go or put it all on credit card, and they want want Disney made their reputation on being. The more people spend, the more people expect. I don't go to McDonald's thinking I'm going to get great food and wonderful services, but I do expect it when I go to a fine ding restaurant. I'm standard are raised because the price I'm paying is raised. Typical human nature. I don't expect things to be perfect at Disney! but I do expect what they have given me in the past, especially when they are charging me three times the amount! Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

No I didn't realize. Sorry if I missed that.

KELLY said:
I Guess that is how I felt for our August trip. I never once had a pull a FP-. I just used our FP+ and it was perfect. But we never pulled more than 4 tops in a day anyway. But we go for 12 days disney and 4 at universal. So I feel we are fine.

If we could spend 12 days at Disney, I wouldn't sweat it either. That's more than double the amt of time we can spend there. I would definitely tour a lot differently if I were there for 12 days!

Not quite sure I'm following you, here.

Disney invests heavily in a new system designed to proactively manage Park throughput and capacity.

In order for the system to provide this capability, Disney will need to heavily market it as a huge advantage to booking as soon as possible and ensure every CM and TA booking packages pushes this and aids in making FP+ reservations for guests.

We already have one Park tiered and bottlenecks for FP+/FP Legacy at some major headliners while a large percentage of Disney guests still are not participating in the program and Disney having not started aggressively marketing the program.

If we are amazed at the number of guests not participating in FP+, it would seem Disney has failed at their stated purpose.

I dont agree with the premise that this is ultimately about managing ride capacity. With respect to FP+, I believe the goal is data mining for purposes of driving notifications out to those most likely to act (read: spend) through MDE.

Disney's goal, IMO, is to get you to wear an RFID device throughout your stay. As an incentive, you get advance selection of FPs. The incentive doesn't have to be utilized by all to be effective.

Retailers know that simply offering items "on sale" provides positive feedback beyond the group of customers who actually act on the sale.

edit: this is a gross oversimplification of my opinion of Disney's goals

I dont agree with the premise that this is ultimately about managing ride capacity.

I think I said Park capacity management and throughput, not ride capacity.

And, I could have sworn you specifically stated we would be amazed at how few people utilized FP+.

Sorry for the gross oversimplification...

I dont agree with the premise that this is ultimately about managing ride capacity. With respect to FP+, I believe the goal is data mining for purposes of driving notifications out to those most likely to act (read: spend) through MDE.

Disney's goal, IMO, is to get you to wear an RFID device throughout your stay. As an incentive, you get advance selection of FPs. The incentive doesn't have to be utilized by all to be effective.

Retailers know that simply offering items "on sale" provides positive feedback beyond the group of customers who actually act on the sale.

Right, I've said all along the fastpass+ portion of this is just a red herring.

Well said. Except that it won't be for the same amount of money. I'm pretty sure they'll have a price hike again in 2014 just like they do every year.

And now the longstanding practice of buying tickets before the annual price hike has a built-in disincentive - that is, the fact that buying a short ticket and adding days later now means being shut out of advance FP+ reservations.

I'm sorry but the idea of just enjoying the theming and atmosphere without the rides is odd to me. Even if I went every single year I would want the rides. Different people want different things, but if it is offered you should be able to get it. You shouldn't have to settle with just the atmosphere and shows.

:thumbsup2 I've been going nearly every year, sometimes more than once a year, since '07. I still want to do my favorite rides every trip. Even solo - which was a trip mostly about atmosphere and the Flower & Garden Festival - I still got on the mountains, Test Track, Everest, the safari, etc. With the kids, the rides are even more important because they just aren't that into atmosphere. They like Disney better than other theme parks because of the atmosphere but that doesn't mean they enjoy sitting/walking around and consciously appreciating it. To them, it is just a more enjoyable background for and filler between the rides.

One thing I rarely read about on these threads:

Kids

I mean, I know parents are getting twisted over this, but are your kids?

Mine didn't seem to notice in October (other than TSM), but I'm more of the "a bad day at Disney beats a good day at work/school" (not to mention good days at Disney). Of course, they used the Halloween party to ride rides rather than trick-or-treat, and they really liked the house we rented.

Two of my three would notice. The baby not so much - she's 5, just hit 40", and hasn't been on most headliners so she wouldn't know what she's missing. But the teen and tween wouldn't take kindly to standby lines for their favorites. I'm not sure they've ever ridden Soarin' or Test Track standby and neither is thrilled with the idea that they'll have to start. But I'll be the first to say that they've been to WDW many times and are of an age where the rides are more important than the characters and "magic".

SoarinSC said:
That's an awful huge brush you're painting with...are there spoiled brats, of course, but to say anyone that's vocal about perceived shortcomings is a brat isn't being fair.

I can't speak for anyone but me, but my concerns and wanting to be vocal comes from LOVING Disney and knowing it can do better. Especially since Disney as a company is raking in huge profits.

Exactly! Calling people named because they respectfully disagree is rude too...not referring to you soarinSC, but who you quoted. People have a right to be upset when service is downgraded and pricing doesn't go down with it.

I think I said Park capacity management and throughput, not ride capacity. And, I could have sworn you specifically stated we would be amazed at how few people utilized FP+. Sorry for the gross oversimplification...

My bad. If your premise is that Disney will use FP to manage park capacity, how do you envision that in practice on the front end (advance selection)? Seems to me that they would have to either group or space individuals based on totality of that group's overall itinerary to achieve whatever goal they have in mind. What good does advance selection provide if the guest has first come, first served access to a day's selection. Baking randomness into a management plan? Doesn't make sense to me.

And what's they're goal: narrowing your window, expanding it, nudging you into routes within the parks for revenue pops?

I don't think Disney is rectifying any problem with FP. I think they are thinking years out.

JMO

You say that, but you do not seem to respect the decision of those who have opted to postpone/cancel their trips until the dust settles. Instead you ridicule them, post snarky comments and in general, act quite unpleasantly toward them. Why be so rude toward people who have made a decision they feel is best for their family? It's not as if your last name is Disney. Why take it so personally?

I can understand that my decision to cancel our trip, while best for us, is not the answer for everyone and that others will be happy enough going to WDW during that time/under those circumstances. Why can you not grasp that others might make a decision different to you, without criticizing them and resorting to condescending remarks?

There is a difference between, "I am still going to WDW, will have a good time, and if you feel otherwise you should not go" and "I am still going to WDW, will have a good time, and if you feel otherwise you should not go......you idiot."
Did you read my first post on this thread? I stated that I thought you were doing the right thing for you. Because, it's much better for someone to cancel rather than go, be miserable and then come here to complain.

I don't take it personally. I do think it's tiresome to hear all the gloom and doom but I do have an awareness that some just aren't happy unless they're miserable. Some don't adapt well to change. And yes, many are spoiled.

I'll say it again. If you don't agree with the changes, don't go.::yes:: I fail to see why that's a "mean" thing to say. I think that people really expect that Disney will say, " The X family hates FP+. Quick, put it back the way it was!:rotfl:" It won't work like that, because most people not only don't mind it, they like it. There will be plenty of people to take the place of the disgruntled. That's not snarky, that's just being realistic.

Exactly! Calling people named because they respectfully disagree is rude too...not referring to you soarinSC, but who you quoted. People have a right to be upset when service is downgraded and pricing doesn't go down with it.
Yes, they do have the right to be upset. Others have the right to think it's a little early to panic just yet, and Disney has the right to run their business the way they see fit.:confused3

One thing I rarely read about on these threads:

Kids

I mean, I know parents are getting twisted over this, but are your kids?

Mine didn't seem to notice in October (other than TSM), but I'm more of the "a bad day at Disney beats a good day at work/school" (not to mention good days at Disney). Of course, they used the Halloween party to ride rides rather than trick-or-treat, and they really liked the house we rented.

DD was disappointed in the cancellation. However, this is a kid who does not like to wait in lines. To be fair, DH and I don't either. We usually won't get in a line over 20 minutes long. She also likes to ride attractions over and over and over. ToT and RnR are usually ridden 5 times a day. She still wants to break her EE record of 8 times in one day. She will even do the teacups repeatedly. So I asked her if she would even enjoy the trip if she only got to ride ToT, RnR, EE, etc. only twice per day. She said, "Probably not."

If you know that the new system simply will not mesh with what your family enjoys, then canceling as we did may very well be the best option.

i wish Disney would post this ..
image_zps4d370eb9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the sort of thing I was referencing. It seems to go well past "if you don't think FP+ is for you, it's best to cancel" and zooms right into snarking at those who decide to do just that. I mean, it WAS posted on a thread about canceling a trip due to all the uncertainty, so it seems logical that group is the trarget.

Overall, it ridicules those who are not on board with FP+ changes and do not want to blithely accept whatever Disney doles out while paying a fortune to be guinea pigs. You can think of it as whining, and I'll think of it as making a sound financial decision based on my family's vacationing desires.

Even if you are not talking about those who cancel and are simply targeting those who are unhappy with the uncertainty, constant changes and decreased options, I wouldn't call that post anything but snarky.

Did you read my first post on this thread? I stated that I thought you were doing the right thing for you. Because, it's much better for someone to cancel rather than go, be miserable and then come here to complain.

I don't take it personally. I do think it's tiresome to hear all the gloom and doom but I do have an awareness that some just aren't happy unless they're miserable. Some don't adapt well to change. And yes, many are spoiled.

I'll say it again. If you don't agree with the changes, don't go.::yes:: I fail to see why that's a "mean" thing to say. I think that people really expect that Disney will say, " The X family hates FP+. Quick, put it back the way it was!:rotfl:" It won't work like that, because most people not only don't mind it, they like it. There will be plenty of people to take the place of the disgruntled. That's not snarky, that's just being realistic.

Then why come into a thread that you know is all doom and gloom? Go find that puppies and kittens and rainbow thread that died real fast.

There will be plenty of people to take the place of the disgruntled. That's not snarky, that's just being realistic.

Perhaps Disney could take a Next Man Up approach if their main motivation was just filling the parks, but their investments demonstrate that they want to sell timeshares out the wazoo. Any move that disenchants repeat customers will definitely not support that obvious goal.

Maybe the purpose of MDE is to clean the slate of spoiled customers, and they mean to have lots of new customers with more reasonable expectations hooked to buy all the new DVC property memberships. I'm not so sure they can convert that many new customers before the Grand Floridian expansion is finished.

I am more confident that they can do it before their continental drift pace for park expansion gets going, which might be good because by then they'll probably need all new unspoiled customers.

Been going since 1975... I'm not upset about it.. Nor was I upset about the end of ticket books, the implementation of FP, dining plan etc. These are all frivolous things in the larger spectrum.
To you. :thumbsup2

Actually, it's more along the lines of "you whining, spoiled brat, Disney-hating idiot." And that's the short version. :lmao:
That's the nice version. :rotfl:

Then why come into a thread that you know is all doom and gloom? Go find that puppies and kittens and rainbow thread that died real fast.
I think that some people just want to give other people trouble. I got tired of it and I'll just say that the Ignore feature is a nice one.

I honestly still don't believe that chastising people for having concerns is going to get them to change their mind or quit going to WDW. I don't really understand the motivation for this but it doesn't seem to be working.

Ok, I have searched and cannot locate the Ignore Button. Can someone please help me out? I wish I would have known earlier. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter