UPDATE - Hubby possibly has prostate cancer - prayers, please

Poohz_Stuffed_Fluff

Earning My Ears
Hi!

I feel like I have been "kicked in the teeth", and I could really use your prayers.

I am using a new and different name because I want to keep my posting life and my husband's health concerns separate. I usually post on the Disabilities board and the Community Board, but I often read the Coping and Compassion Board to follow the lives and health concerns of various people whom I have come to know through DISboards. Now, I could really use your help, guidance, and prayers.

This is sort of a convoluted story that started in early March. My husband developed symptoms of the flu (the usual variety) even after having had the flu shot. He took off of work for a couple of days (not usual for him) because he was so tired and drained of energy. During the time of having the flu, he developed a severe, reddish, swollen rash on one leg.

The doctor prescribed antibiotics which worked quickly and with no lingering side effects. And, this doctor being as thorough as he is, also ran blood tests. These tests were to evaluate the effectiveness of the antibiotics, and as a precaution because my husband is 57.

The tests indicated a possibility of prostate problems. Today, he saw a urologist who indicated that there might be a cause for concern, even mentioning the possibility of prostate cancer.

So, he now has to start the road of more tests, including a biopsy in approximately 1 month.

My husband has had so many chemicals pumped into him in the past by doctors trying to "cure" his severe acne, we have no idea what, if any, effect these have had on him. Many of these medications have since been recalled by the FDA as dangerous, and the only doctor who had his medical records retired under mysterious circumstances, and his wife destroyed all records after his retirement. (By the way, this happened long before computers were in regular use so everything was on paper.)

We have no idea if these chemicals are "coming back to haunt him", if the blood tests are inaccurate (according to the doctors, PSA tests are highly inaccurate), or what the future will bring.

I guess being told of the potential of cancer and the waiting are already bothering me.

So, please, if you have a few prayers to spare, we could really use them.

I will post as I know more.

Thank you for thinking of us.

Jo

Jo, I am so sorry for everything you are both going through. My father went through this same thing in November, and it was all negative. Praying for the same result here. I will say continued prayers for you both, and keep you always in my thoughts.:grouphug:

Please update whenever you can.

Jo, you will be in my thougts and prayers. Waiting and not knowing is very hard. Went through that with my DH nearly 2 yrs ago now. And it was horrible. Hopefully you will have some answers soon.

Thinking of you, and hope that the road ahead is without ups and downs, and a good positive outcome comes quickly. Try to stay strong, and not get too stressed. Easier said than done I know.

I'll keep you both in my prayers! Wishing you the best!

Hi again!

To all of you who have offered support, good thoughts, and prayers - I thank you.

It really helps to have a place to relieve some of the stress of waiting and the unknown. My parents are no longer alive, his father died 20 years ago, and his 88 year old mother is having health problems of her own. We have no intentions of telling her anything until we know a diagnosis for sure.

I realize that might be a controversial position, but 2 years ago this summer, my husband had emergency surgery for a ruptured hernia that involved his small intestine, followed by 2 weeks in critical condition due to a fast-acting infection. His mother had too much difficulty not knowing if he would survive the infection, so we can not cause additional stress to her until we know for sure what will happen this time.

I appreciate that I have Disney friends to come to for help and support.

I will post again when I have additional information.

Jo

This must be terribly frightening. I'll be praying that you hear good news very soon. :hug:

Hi Jo,

I just stumbled onto this topic. We are taking our first cruise in July of this year.

I wanted to reach out to you and lend you my comfort and advice if possible. My husband had prostate cancer. He was diagnosed in February of 2005. We went through a horrible time of turmoil and sorrow as he battled the disease in it's various stages.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to call upon me. I'm happy to do so. PM me if you wish.

Warm Hugs,

~Meems

:hug:I pray that everything is all right with you DH and I have plenty of prayers to spare as I have already sent one your way. Shirley

Jo, I pray along with you that everything will be alright. We are going through the same with my father at the moment. Three years ago his PSA was high but was caused by what they believe to be colon pileups. Last two years, no problems, than this year very high PSA. Doing another PSA in June, than biopsy if needed.

So, you def have my prayers and thoughts with you at this time...:grouphug:

Hi Everyone!

I have an update to the possibility that my husband might have prostate cancer.

It is GREAT news!

After weeks of various tests - blood tests, urinalysis, prostate biopsy, kidney ultrasound, and bladder ultrasound - the results have come back. There are no pre-cancerous or cancerous cells. Everything came back clean.

The doctor does want to run one more test that involves a camera being able to see inside of the bladder. He does not expect to find anything of any consequence; however, he does want to be thorough. This test will be done within a month or so, when my husband can get time off from work without losing any more pay or incurring the anger of the bosses.

The only other follow-up is that every 6 months my husband will have to have a new PSA test just to keep ahead of any problems that might develop.

After these many weeks of tests and waiting for results, I have gained a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for those who are facing these conditions daily.

Thank you so very much for your prayers and good wishes. I appreciate them more than you will ever know.

Jo

What wonderful news Jo, so thrilled for you and your husband.
Thanks for sharing the good news.

Sending some big Koala cuddles.
Trish

That is great news! But I have to add, please make sure your husband has a DRE as well. My husbands PSA level was only 1.7 at age 53 and his cancer was found thru a DRE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter