Unwanted rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the HA booking category is a great idea. We had a HA unit at BLT last month. We talked about asking to switch rooms, but ultimately decided it's vacation, let's go with the flow.

In addition to what Dean said, bear in mind that booking categories would work both for and against members. While people who are confined to a wheelchair are aware of their needs 11 months out, other situations are quite different. I've read many stories over the years along the lines of "my daughter just broke her foot but we still want to go" or "I had unexpected surgery last week and my doctor says it's still OK to travel next month."

When issues arise unexpectedly, excess HA rooms gives the resort an opportunity to meet guest needs on the fly. With separate categories, someone who doesn't need a HA room has undoubtedly conceded to stay in one, leaving a newly impaired guest must either cancel or take their non-accessible room.

Not really sure which system would be better overall...but both approaches have their drawbacks.

I think with a good design, the HC accomodations could be nearly transparent to folks who didn't need them.
Some of the HC rooms we have stayed in, it was no big deal. But, others it was a real pain.
For example, we stayed in a HC studio at BCV. The bathroom was huge, but there was no vanity--just a sink. So, no where to put stuff like tooth brush, tooth paste, brush and so on. I understand you have to make the sink accessible, but a shelf off to the side would have made things a lot easier to manage.
The same room had the microwave on the counter in the kitchenette, so virtually no place to put the toaster and coffee maker. Just around the corner from the kitchenette, there was plenty of space where a counter could have been installed to move the microwave over (or at least allow the other appliances to be put there.) Someone in a wheel chair is going to have just as much trouble trying to use the same appliances in such a tiny area.

I think with a good design, the HC accomodations could be nearly transparent to folks who didn't need them.
Some of the HC rooms we have stayed in, it was no big deal. But, others it was a real pain.
For example, we stayed in a HC studio at BCV. The bathroom was huge, but there was no vanity--just a sink. So, no where to put stuff like tooth brush, tooth paste, brush and so on. I understand you have to make the sink accessible, but a shelf off to the side would have made things a lot easier to manage.
The same room had the microwave on the counter in the kitchenette, so virtually no place to put the toaster and coffee maker. Just around the corner from the kitchenette, there was plenty of space where a counter could have been installed to move the microwave over (or at least allow the other appliances to be put there.) Someone in a wheel chair is going to have just as much trouble trying to use the same appliances in such a tiny area.
I agree. We had an HA studio at BWV. There was no place to leave anything in the bathroom even though there was plenty of room for storage shelves at an accessible height.

Instead of a closet there was a small armoire that was already full since it was also used to store the ironing board, vacuum cleaner and pack'n'play. I had to drag those heavy items out of the armoire so we could hang up some shirts. Want to put your valuables in a safe place while you head for the parks? Too bad, there was no safe in the room.

People who need an HA room deserve better. Those rooms should be at least as well appointed as the non-HA rooms.

There are requirements as to what accommodations and how many villas must have X options. These have changed over the years and I'm not dramatically knowledgeable about the exact requirements. In general DVC and most locations have more HC rooms than they need, whether they have the rooms to accommodate a specific need is often a different situation entirely. I do not believe it's feasible or realistic to have one size fits all HC units and/or units that will make the rest happy and meet the legal requirements. If it were just wider doors, more space and hand rails, it'd be easy but it's far more complicated than that as I understand it.

Wow...that is amazing. I would be very upset however u cant let it ruin your whole vaca....write a complaint when you get home. I was placed in a smoking room once and nearly vomited over the smell...i demanded a new room. They found me one at the contemporary and even had a courtesy van take us. You just need to speak to the right people.

I have only gotten HA rooms at OKW- in fact every first floor room we have had has been HA. The first time I called about the bathroom as soon as the first one of us took a shower and they sent extra towels no problem. The next time we had a first floor room I asked at the front desk if it was HA and they said yes and asked if it would be a problem. It doesn't matter to us there as we have enough room for our stuff on the vanity anyway at OKW- I just asked for extra bathmats/towels for the floor and they were actually hanging on our unit by the time we drove over and parked.

I have been in a HA room several times as well and while it is not my first choice, I deal with it.

I just can not believe the attitude of some of the posters that state- they would not stand for being in one of those rooms. Just be very happy and thankful each time you are assigned to one of those rooms that you don't need one. If small things in life like this ruin a trip (or bother you), you need to learn to relax and enjoy life! Remember you are at Disney ;)!

I was put in a HA room and just dealt with it. Just out of curiousity, and I know some if it is described here already, what are the major 'inconviences" of a HA room? I've heard no vanity and a lower bath tub and bed - what else?

I was put in a HA room and just dealt with it. Just out of curiousity, and I know some if it is described here already, what are the major 'inconviences" of a HA room? I've heard no vanity and a lower bath tub and bed - what else?

The main issue is some have no tub, just a roll-in shower. With the roll-in shower, water can end up all over the bathroom floor.

For some of them, no tub and a shower that sprays the entire bathroom and makes it wet and a fall hazard.

I have been in a HA room several times as well and while it is not my first choice, I deal with it.

I just can not believe the attitude of some of the posters that state- they would not stand for being in one of those rooms. Just be very happy and thankful each time you are assigned to one of those rooms that you don't need one. If small things in life like this ruin a trip (or bother you), you need to learn to relax and enjoy life! Remember you are at Disney ;)!
As I've stated, I'd rather not go than being in one. That said, it's part of what we all signed up for. Personally I'll ask to move and I'm willing to pay the fee if necessary and we've disturbed the room but I refuse to make it a big deal because it's part of the system. Not having a HC room is my #1 request now that NS is standard. However, the "Just be glad you don't need one and shut up" ploy simply rubs me the wrong way, IMO it's a copout. I refuse to feel guilty in this situation. We all have our trials and concerns. The ADA gives protections for those that need such though it's not perfect.

The main issue is some have no tub, just a roll-in shower. With the roll-in shower, water can end up all over the bathroom floor.

Yikes! I'm glad we didn't get that kind of HA. I can see that being really bad with kids.

Yikes! I'm glad we didn't get that kind of HA. I can see that being really bad with kids.

It used to be that this was only the case in studios. I'm not sure if there are some subsquent DVC configurations that don't have a tub in a one or two bedroom.

I have not been assigned a HA room;

1 HUGE sell on the 1 bed room is the tub. If it had a big tub I wouldn't mind everything else. But if I used points for a 1 bedroom and it didn't have the big tub.. I wouldn't accept it.. Their web page clearly states whirpool tub on the ad, so I would expect that.

Prior to my new DD0 the reg tub missing in the studio wouldn't bother me; Having a DD1 -3 on the next few yrs of trips, I couldn't imagine trying to bathe her in the sink, or the shower.. I would have an issue for her for until I could help her shower. 2-3 yrs, (only if I needed the tub, and didn't get it).

Other than that I wouldn't care about most of it. missing counters, or short sinks, wouldn't bother me. .. no Tub if I needed one, or missed a big tub.. I would.

I like the 1 bdrm at OKW for the tub. My oldest granddaughter(4) has Down's and loves swimming in the bubbles. Since the whirlpool tubs at OKW are huge I take my 2 young granddaughters ( 4 and 2) into it to go swimming.

I can manage the 2 of them by myself in the whirlpool but not in the resort pools.
:thumbsup2

If I ended up in an HA room that didn't have a tub it would ruin our vacation since I wouldn't be able to take the girls swimming!;)

I like the 1 bdrm at OKW for the tub. My oldest granddaughter(4) has Down's and loves swimming in the bubbles. Since the whirlpool tubs at OKW are huge I take my 2 young granddaughters ( 4 and 2) into it to go swimming.

I can manage the 2 of them by myself in the whirlpool but not in the resort pools.
:thumbsup2

If I ended up in an HA room that didn't have a tub it would ruin our vacation since I wouldn't be able to take the girls swimming!;)

For cases like yours where a tub is a must (I'm thinking studios here as I thought all 1brs had the tub) add it to the requests. Of course it's not a guarantee, but when checking in note the request and specifically ask if it's been granted and don't be afraid to tell them why you need one for your grandkids. (Don't do online check in as it makes it harder to switch out rooms.)

I really wish they would make this a booking category as well. I think it would take the "surprise" away from people who didn't expect a HC room when they checked in. I would probably save some of the conversation between CM and Member from having to remember to ask if they are assigned a HC room before they leave the desk, or be surprised upon entering it. If a room needed to be switched, like any booking category where a room or rooms go out of service, the member would be notified (in most cases) ahead of time.

I am really glad they have HC rooms for those who need them. For those that don't need them they can be problematic. We had a HC room once, before I started asking at the front desk, with a roll in shower. This was at OKW. I know the roll in shower serves a good purpose for those who need them, but at least at OKW, they are DANGEROUS for those who don't.

My wife had a fall a few years back which ended up putting her in a Wheelchair for over a year with RSD, not at Disney, but at home. The point here is, after over a year of painful therapy and injections to correct the RSD and make it livable, she absolutely cannot afford to fall again. I make it a point now to make sure to ask at check in so we don't get a room with a roll in shower. You can put the towels down, but I still feel it's still pretty dangerous, especially for people with balance issues, older family, etc. I can accept a HC room as long as we have another option than using the roll in shower. I always ask now, and so far the front desk has always been accommodating.

AFAIK, all HA 1, 2, and 3 bedroom villas have tubs.

There is ONE 1 bedroom that does not have a Jacuzzi tub, it is located in Jambo House, and I think it is one of the concierge units. To the best of my knowledge all other 1 bedroom and larger units have a tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter