1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Underage drinking parties UPDATED INFO POST 68.....

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by zoo2tycoon, Oct 16, 2012.

1. scbelleatheart

scbelleatheart DIS Veteran

Agree, it is high school. Hearsay doesn't hold water. More so now than in the 90's. I would not want to raise child now. Mine played outside, did not have play dates:rotfl2:, played sports but they were requested to sign contracts. That did not go over well when the Minister /Coach required them all to attend his church services. That went over well.:rotfl2:.
    The main point is when our children attend public school, they have no rights, They cannot call a parent to know what to say or do because the school is a considered an "the ruling authority" while they are in charge of our children but a contract to take it outside of school is circomventing the parental responsibility and taking it out of parent's hands.

Sad huh? No wonder so many home school. Our children have no rights in the public schools.
    OK, rant over!:)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. snarlingcoyote

snarlingcoyote <font color=blue>I know people who live in really

In my state, the party wouldn't have been illegal. So long as no one drank and drove, the police wouldn't have gotten involved. It would be a private ethical and moral question for the parents.

4. badblackpug

badblackpug <font color=blue>If you knew her you would be shoc

I guess I'm confused. You have no problem with the coach forcing your kids to practice a religion, but you have an issue with them signing a contract saying that they will not drink, do drugs, or be involved in illegal activity while they are a member of said team?

Personally, I would have a HUGE issue with a coach forcing my kids to practice a certain religion. I have no issue with the sports contract. In my kids' school, at least, the consequences of violating that contract is that you are kicked off the team. I don't see that as circumventing my parenting.

5. Arielle22

Arielle22 <font color=red>We have had spirits<br><font color

So how would you tell the difference between someone trying to drive but passed out in the car before doing so and someone sleeping it off in their car?

There have been several cases around here recently where people found sleeping behind the wheel were woken up and then tried to drive away.

I have always stressed with my daughters that if they are found breaking any law they will have to deal with the consequences.

I work in HR and a DUI would not mean you wereinelig le for hire. At my last job where driving was involved a DUI would make you ineligible for 3 years as insurance wouldn't cover you. We ran driving record Checks quarterly and would term if certain major offenses or several minor ones were found.

I disagree with the poster who said driving age should be raised while the drinking age lowered. A teen has valid reasons for driving but no valid reason to drink.

6. shinysparklybubbles

shinysparklybubbles DIS Veteran

I think, your keys need to be in your trunk. My DH's friend was sleeping it off in his car, ran his car because it was winter and got busted for DUI even thought he never drove.

7. FireDancer

FireDancer DIS Veteran

Who cares? I don't want to have people arrested for pre-crimes. Unless they are in their car and driving while over the legal limit I don't want them arrested for what them might have done in an alternate reality.

8. disneyshakeygirl

disneyshakeygirl DIS Veteran

In Alberta, Quebec, and Manitoba, it's 18. All other provinces, it's 19.

9. DeltaDiamond001

DeltaDiamond001 <font color=red>DISaholic<br><font color=royalblue

When I was younger, my parents frequently allowed me to go to parties as long as the parents were home and I would be spending the night.

I always gave the parents my keys and told them not to give them back to me, regardless of what I might later say.

I personally don't see the problem with teen parties as long as there are parents present and everyone, regardless of consumption, spends the night.

I don't know of many, if any, underage kids who haven't gone to a party and drank and/or smoked pot. It's just something that's going to happen, and personally, I'd rather it happen under my supervision.

As long as the kids are in a safe environment, with parents present, and the party stays inside as not to disrupt neighbors, I don't have an issue with it.

Just my opinion.