Ugh, time to renegotiate Sirius XM radio

I used to get it 6 months for $25. That was a few years ago, and then they went to 5 months for $25 which was fine. I bought a new car in December '14 that came with a years subscription, so I won't have to worry about it until next December. I'm curious to see if their tactics will change by then, or if I will still be able to "snaggle" them down to $25 for five months.

For those using Pandora through their phone, how much data does that eat up? I've considered it, but didn't want to use too much of our plan on just streaming music.

Ok, this is weird. They've been calling me trying to get me to renew because I know there was an old credit card on the account, but I haven't gotten in touch with them-- thought I'd just let it run out. It went out for a week, and I was fine with it. And... now it's back.

Ok, this is weird. They've been calling me trying to get me to renew because I know there was an old credit card on the account, but I haven't gotten in touch with them-- thought I'd just let it run out. It went out for a week, and I was fine with it. And... now it's back.

I have found out they're not real careful with what they do and do not allow. I have an old radio that I bought in '06 that is wide open. It's showing up as "deactivated" when I look at it online, however it gets everything. I put it in my wifes car for a few months, but she never used it and it was just in the way. I keep it around though just in case.

I had the same 2000 model year car for the past 15 years until I got a 2012 car last month. It has a SiriusXM radio in it, and when I called about it they gave me a free 3 month trial. Satellite radio was up there with the moonroof as two things I never ever thought about in my life, and now cannot remember how I lived without them, LOL.

I am a big fan of Pandora and used to just stream that via an adaptor in my old car, but holy smokes do I love being able to have disco, bluegrass, punk, whatever I feel like, at the touch of a button. But the absolute best has been the Comedy Central station!! I swear I'm going to run my car into a tree one day because I'm laughing too hard, but it'll be worth it. :-) Makes the hour-each-way commute a whole lot better every day.

If you go to RetailMeNot and search for SiriusXM, there are a number of codes that can be used by existing customers if you call. In the comments, tons of people have also said they got the deal if they used the live chat option, for those of you who don't want to call. :-)

The last time I had to call (August), the rate I got worked out to around 8.75 a month. They do not have my credit card on file - I would never remember to call on time and I'm guessing that once it is billed to you, it is a real headache to straighten out. I told them that I would only send a check - period. I enjoy it but my personal limit is paying $10 a month.

Until June 1st, any radio that is xm compatible gets 60 channels for free. That is why it is back for you.

DS bought a brand new truck today with 6 months of free Sirius XM. I've already told him to not pay rack rate when it runs out. He likes to listen to sports.

just did this today-got the all access package for $10 per month/12 months, and the travel link for $11.94 for the entire year (so basically $1.00 per month). asked for cancelation department from the get-go, and after getting transferred twice negotiated it down to this. much better than the $21.00 per month they quoted on my renewal paperwork.

I purposely had them bill me and sent a check last year so they wouldn't have a credit card on file to renew with.

What is the travel link? I have a couple of un-highlighted icons on our screen and it seems I recall the saleman saying something about future things coming down the pike.

I had the same 2000 model year car for the past 15 years until I got a 2012 car last month. It has a SiriusXM radio in it, and when I called about it they gave me a free 3 month trial. Satellite radio was up there with the moonroof as two things I never ever thought about in my life, and now cannot remember how I lived without them, LOL.

I am a big fan of Pandora and used to just stream that via an adaptor in my old car, but holy smokes do I love being able to have disco, bluegrass, punk, whatever I feel like, at the touch of a button. But the absolute best has been the Comedy Central station!! I swear I'm going to run my car into a tree one day because I'm laughing too hard, but it'll be worth it. :-) Makes the hour-each-way commute a whole lot better every day.

If you go to RetailMeNot and search for SiriusXM, there are a number of codes that can be used by existing customers if you call. In the comments, tons of people have also said they got the deal if they used the live chat option, for those of you who don't want to call. :-)

I love the Comedy Central Channel and Hits 1. I also drive a little over an hour each way to work, so I'm loving my satellite radio right now. I think I'll try the chat method of negotiating. Thanks for the tip!

ETA, my DH paid for a whole year at a time, so i have to wait 11 months to try this. Grrrrr.

Last edited:
Renewed mine today for 6 month for $29. With taxes and invoice I requested it came to $31.80. I was told that since I had that promotional rate before and specifically requested that rate, they would honor it. I can live with that.

Sandy

I have DH's radio and mine on the same account. We've done the 6 month $24.99 rate for about 2 years now. The first call took forever (DH had been paying rack rate for years). I wouldn't cave, and we got the rate for both cars. I now call the week before the promo rate isip, and tend to get it quickly. I just tell them unless we get the same pricing again we will cancel both radios.

I'm always appreciative when I call, and never mean. I'm just straightforward in what we will pay, and let them know if we don't get that rate they lose 2 subscriptions.

I have found out they're not real careful with what they do and do not allow. I have an old radio that I bought in '06 that is wide open. It's showing up as "deactivated" when I look at it online, however it gets everything. I put it in my wifes car for a few months, but she never used it and it was just in the way. I keep it around though just in case.

The radio you have from 06 will probably remain active forever now or at least until the system changes. When you first have the service shut off they send out the cancel code often, the radio has to be on to receive it. After a while they send it out less and less often. If you cancel the service and keep the radio turned off for a while they eventually stop sending the code to that radio and it stays active.

My trial subscription on my new car ends in 42 days. How far in advance should I call in order to be invoiced $5 per month ($25 for 5 mos.) and pay by check? And is that price that people have negotiated for All Access? or limited?

IIRC they will e-mail you, they would have gotten it from the dealership/manufacturer asking if you want to sign up etc. If you didn't give them an e-mail they will probably call. It was probably about a month out when they first contacted me. Think I called with a few days left and got the deal. I also have it on two other radios, one in my wife's car and a portable one I have a speaker dock for.

I did sign up online for internet access (since it came with the trial subscription on the car,) so they have my email address. I do get emails from them promoting special shows that they will have - so they know who I am.

Is the negotiated price ($25 for 6 months) for All Access?

Thanks -
Maddle

Who has done this recently and what deal were you able to get?

Thanks!
I usually pay 30 for 5 or 6 months at a time. They will always quote something and I will ask if there is a different option or I will mention that I usually get the 30 dollar deal. The last time I forgot my subscription was up by about two,weeks over the time. I spoke to someone who didn't know what he was talking about. There was no such deal and didn't even offer me any other deals even though I told him a yearly plan was too much for me. I then decided to call and speak to someone else and he happily gave me the deal I usually get. Plus he refunded me the difference as they had started to charge my credit card another rate since I didn't call or,cancel before my due date. So in a nutshell call twice if you have to.

Last week I got 5.00/ month for 6 months. I was happy with that.

We have gotten $30/6 months on three vehicles two times in a row now. DH didn't have to negotiate. Both times he just asked if that was a rate they could offer and they agreed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter