Ugh, time to renegotiate Sirius XM radio

If you are listing to XM is just for music, you want to save money and you have a smart phone then Pandora is the way to go. Cant beat free!

They don't offer it at all anymore.

Right. I asked about it a few years ago and they had discontinued it a few months (maybe a year) before we got our first car with a satellite radio in it. Then I did some reading and realized that it's not really a "lifetime" subscription...it's for the lifetime of a plug-n-play radio. You could then pay $75-80 to transfer it to a new radio 3 more times. There were other restrictions as well (certain channels weren't included, etc.) So...while it was a decent price and if you optimized all things, you could potentially get through about 15-18 years with the "lifetime" deal, after reading all of the fine print and the issues people had with that subscription, I wasn't so upset that we missed out on it. I'm ok calling them every 5 or 6 months and renegotiating (AKA: threatening to cancel my subscription) to get the service for $5-6/month. Takes about 5 minutes -- well worth the time investment.

Two weeks ago I "played the game" and got my same 5 months for $25. Started out saying no promos available. OK, cancel. Call transferred. Then came up with a year for over $100, nope. Then 6 months for $49, nope. No more than $5 a month. Put on hold, ok we can keep your same deal. Funny thing was I was at the Polynesian during an afternoon break, my friend laughed listening to my side of the conversation.

I'm cheap and I will definitely not pay for radio. There are just too many other options on how to listen to music in the car: regular radio, CDs, Pandora, iPhone. I am in general against subscriptions though, I also have not had cable in 7 years and have never missed it.

I will continue to do the $25 for 5 months for now. This year I have been in the car A LOT driving up to 4-5 hours per day.

Next year I may not be driving as much and really won't need it if I am not in the car much. But I don't mind $5/mo for now.

Just got six months for $25. Refused to sign up for anything else, so they finally said yes.

I just got an email offer yesterday for 5 months for $20. I'm still not going to renew though.

My contract was up last week. The credit card on file was no longer valid so my service was canceled. I realized how much I missed the talk radio stations so I called and they offered a ridiculous amount so I said no thanks, I want the 5 months for $25 which I had before. I was out on hold for about 2 minutes and was then told no problem. I was surprised how easy it was.

I've been paying $25 for 6 months on each of my 3 radios. It's a hassle to call every 6 months but I do. I just call and tell I'll renew at my current rate or they can cancel. Haven't had an issue yet. Do not put a CC on file.

We had an interesting experience with Sirius XM. My bf was lucky enough to win a car and a trip from them! We got to meet a lot of their executive and they were very interested in our experience with Sirius. We are not the subscribers they want! I don't subscribe, I only drive about 2,500 miles/year. The bf has a lifetime subscription which he uses exclusively for the internet access. I could tell they were kinda disappointed that we weren't big listeners, but on the other side of the coin, I felt they were very enthusiastic about bringing programming that was of value to the customer. The event we went to was so much fun, we got to meet a lot of the Sirius hosts and they were very nice and even chatted with us. Make sure you are signing up for their contests to add value to your subscription.

I renewed my just this past week. I took the $99 for a year deal. I had already decided when I called that was deal I would take. They had offered it last year but I held out for the 5 for $25. I figured for a few extra bucks, I wouldn't have to call them for a year.

I renewed my just this past week. I took the $99 for a year deal. I had already decided when I called that was deal I would take. They had offered it last year but I held out for the 5 for $25. I figured for a few extra bucks, I wouldn't have to call them for a year.

I did the same thing. Got tired of having to jot what day I needed to call them, then get hassled, like I did this last month. They were prepared to not give me the 6mth/$25 deal, and I was on the fencee about letting the service lapse. But we have 2 long distance vacations coming up, and I do enjoy not having to search for stations as I'm driving up and down 95.

If you decide to cave and sign up for a year (like I did)..... consider all access which includes internet listening for $20 more per year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter