Ty's MAW Pre-trip :) arriving Feb 14, 2010

Countdown calenders are almost done :cool1: I cannot wait to get them all put together. I will take a pic when they are all done.

Oh can't wait to see it...can we can a picture of Ty holding the calendar?

What is the fees test? Sorry your going thru so much right now, I wish there was something I could say...but I can give u a :grouphug:

Welcome!!!!! I think the planning is almost as much fun as the actual trip so dig in deep and have a ball. The Xmas morning surprise sounds great......and they're really old enough to 'get it' and enjoy the next weeks/months of planning and prep with you.

We are leaving in a couple of days and are one of those families extending our trip. I think not all chapters have the same policy but ours gave us the confirmation number and allowed us to just call the rental car company directly and extend the rental. They will pay for the first 7 days and we will be responsible for the last two. Apparently there are chapters that won't even allow extensions because they are afraid they will be left holding the bag but ours (MA/RI) had no reservations whatsoever. Hopefully yours will be as flexible and easy to work with as ours has been:)

Pamela:santa:

Matty's Wish Trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

Thank you! I hope you all had a wonderful trip. I cannot wait to hear all about it!

Ok here are the pics of the calenders and my sweeties. It happened a little early b/c Sierra stayed all night with a friend and somehow figured out when we were leaving and so the conversations began right in front of Ty. Oh well now I can talk about it freely:cool1:

Cool calendars....:thumbsup2 It will be here before you know it.

By the way we have our dates for GKTW, we will be in the castle of miracles on Feb 17th and Feb 21th from 5-9pm...so make sure you stop by on one of those nights and say HI to us....:cheer2:

We will definately try to pop in. The 17th is our long day of dhs and epcot but hopefully we can get in a little early to see ya. I think the 21st is when we are leaving. Maybe we can meet up at one of the parks:)

For those who have extended thier trip do you rent the van for the remainder days or do you have to take it back to the airport? How do you handle this? We are thinking about extending our trip by a day or two.

We are extending our trip and our chapter told us to get an entirely new rental contract. Once I find out who they are using, I plan on calling the company and asking if there is any way we could keep the same vehicle so we don't have to take the time to switch our luggage and stuff. (We are leaving Orlando for our extension).

Cute calendars! :thumbsup2 I am still working on our countdown calendar, but I also cheated and bought some at the dollar store and some stickers and figured I'd let them each have their own to countdown on. Funny that you had to reveal the dates early. I know I wouldn't have been able to hold it in!

We are extending our trip and our chapter told us to get an entirely new rental contract. Once I find out who they are using, I plan on calling the company and asking if there is any way we could keep the same vehicle so we don't have to take the time to switch our luggage and stuff. (We are leaving Orlando for our extension).

Cute calendars! :thumbsup2 I am still working on our countdown calendar, but I also cheated and bought some at the dollar store and some stickers and figured I'd let them each have their own to countdown on. Funny that you had to reveal the dates early. I know I wouldn't have been able to hold it in!

I wish I would have cheated a bit. lol they probably would have turned out a little better. I went down my parents basement and found some old stickers and little pom poms.

Finally getting my itinerary finished:cool1:

Sunday we will fly in and grab our rental van then off to GKTW. We will likely stay at GKTW all day but I threw in there we might want to go to DTD just in case;) We will do a little swimming because that is how the kids always begin their trips. We will do orientation but not sure what time yet.

Monday is Magic Kingdom day all day.The highlights of MK will be DUMBO!! Yes Dumbo because we didnt get to ride it when we were on the miserable trip in 08. And of course the Carousel of Progress just because the kids know I DO NOT like that ride lol. But I am going to surprise them and just act so happy to ride it and hope to get their confused faces on video:rotfl2: .There will be lots more but those are the must do's.

Tuesday is Animal Kingdom day. I am trying to braven up and ride Mount Everest. For my buddy. But the kids may have to do that one on their own. And if I know Sierra she will chicken out just before she gets on. Then we will head back to GKTW for Family Fun night.

Wednsday is DHS and Epcot Day. I am planning on doing these two parks the same day because I have a feeling DHS will not appeal to the kids very well but I am not sure. And I do not believe it will take too long to do Epcot. Then I hope to get back to GKTW by 9pm to meet Christine and Jake (Dmbfan):banana:

Thursday is Typhoon Lagoon weather permitting. Not sure if the water is very warm there or not but Ty really wants to do a water park. He really wanted to go to Blizzard Beach but it is closed while we are there:sad2: Then we will head over to Universal Studio's to make sure we ride JAWS :scared1: lol Now the last time I rode that ride was 15yrs ago and my eyes were closed the whole time. But they must stay open this time cause I have to get pics of Tyler screaming when he comes up at him. We are going to make sure he is on the side of the boat that leans in toward him lol. Sierra cannot wait to ride it either. She loves things like that. We also hope to catch a stunt show but Im not sure those are during this time. Then we are definately heading back to GKTW for Christmas:woohoo:

Friday we will head over to Sea World. This is another biggie with the kids. They cannot wait to pet the dolphins. I would LOVE to arrange it so that they could swim with the dolphins but I have no idea how we would do that. Tyler has always wanted to swim with dolphins. I just cannot wait for this. I am so excited!! I just cannot wait to see the kids faces when we walk through the gates of Sea World. We will also catch a Shamu show (at least one:thumbsup) Sierra is going to absolutely love Sea World. She is a big Sea animal lover. She has always wanted to be a veterinarian or Animal Cop. And I know once she sees the Dolphins and Shamu she is going to lean more toward Sea Animals because they have always had a special place in her heart. Then we will go back to GKTW for the Pirate and Princess Party.

Saturday our plans are to go to Kennedy Space Center. Tyler loves anything to do with Space!Then we will head back to GKTW for Mayor Claytons Birthday Party.

Im sure there will be alot of in betweens. Like eating and taking breaks.And we will be able to enjoy the fireworks as Ty will have his headphones (he didnt in 08 and that was a huge mistake).

Then Sunday we are homeward bound and ready to see our doggies!

Lookin' good!
I am planning to combine DHS with AK because Epcot and FW seem so large, even if it is not as interesting to the kids. I'm afraid just walking through it will take forever. Not sure though.
I think the only place to swim with the dolphins in Orlando is at Discovery Cove, which is a separate Sea World park. It requires it's own admission, not provided by GKTW, as far as I'm aware.

Thank you . I didnt realise it was too seperate things. I will need to look into that more. It would be really neat! I chose DHS with Epcot b/c there wrent too many rides were were that thrilled about. But it might be different this time. I am all in for forgetting the itenerary and just going with the flow and that is what we will probably have to do as Ty throws a huge fit if we dont go by his timing. And that can set the whole day off.

Here are my quick thoughts on the three days you have in Disney...

Most every family spends a full day at the MK - there are a ton of things to do there.

Between the last three parks...there are LOTS of things to do - more than any family could do in one trip...so each family has to make a list of the things that would appeal to each...

For me...here are the must dos at the other three parks:

Epcot:
World Showcase - I would skip this if I only had three days with kids...unless my kids were excited about the countries. Not that it isn't great - there are fun things there to do - but not anything a family can't live without, in my opinion.

Future World - Must Do's, in my opinion:
Wish Lounges - there are at least 2 in Epcot - your wish trip will be the ONLY time you get to see these...so go for it! :)
Soarin' - if your kids are tall enough and not afraid of heights - best ride in Disney.
Turtle Talk with crush - I love this, especially for little kids that would "talk" to Crush.
GREAT place to see a BUNCH of hard to find characters - use the button and see them all! :thumbsup2

Animal Kingdom
:
Safari seems like a must do - but I could skip it. Like driving through a zoo...unless that is your thing.

Expedition Everest - great roller coaster - not TOO terribly fast, does go backwards.

Lion King - MUST DO show! Show them your BUTTON - sit toward the front!

Finding Nemo Show - MUST DO show! Sit in the BACK section on the FRONT row...best seats in the house! Try NOT to sit in the front section...The whole point of the show is that these puppets are being worked by humans and if you sit too close, you can see the "humans" and miss what the puppets are doing (which are supposed to be the focus)...being so close tends to ruin the magic for me for this particular show.

DHS:
This is a harder park...as it depends a lot on YOUR family and their interests...

Toy Story is a must for everyone! But other than that...each attraction stands on its own...to do everything would really take all day - and maybe two if you only do parts of days...

anyway...I am sure you didn't want THIS much info...but that was on my brain tonight!

Here are my quick thoughts on the three days you have in Disney...

Most every family spends a full day at the MK - there are a ton of things to do there.

Between the last three parks...there are LOTS of things to do - more than any family could do in one trip...so each family has to make a list of the things that would appeal to each...

For me...here are the must dos at the other three parks:

Epcot:
World Showcase - I would skip this if I only had three days with kids...unless my kids were excited about the countries. Not that it isn't great - there are fun things there to do - but not anything a family can't live without, in my opinion.

Future World - Must Do's, in my opinion:
Wish Lounges - there are at least 2 in Epcot - your wish trip will be the ONLY time you get to see these...so go for it! :)
Soarin' - if your kids are tall enough and not afraid of heights - best ride in Disney.
Turtle Talk with crush - I love this, especially for little kids that would "talk" to Crush.
GREAT place to see a BUNCH of hard to find characters - use the button and see them all! :thumbsup2

Animal Kingdom
:
Safari seems like a must do - but I could skip it. Like driving through a zoo...unless that is your thing.

Expedition Everest - great roller coaster - not TOO terribly fast, does go backwards.

Lion King - MUST DO show! Show them your BUTTON - sit toward the front!

Finding Nemo Show - MUST DO show! Sit in the BACK section on the FRONT row...best seats in the house! Try NOT to sit in the front section...The whole point of the show is that these puppets are being worked by humans and if you sit too close, you can see the "humans" and miss what the puppets are doing (which are supposed to be the focus)...being so close tends to ruin the magic for me for this particular show.

DHS:
This is a harder park...as it depends a lot on YOUR family and their interests...

Toy Story is a must for everyone! But other than that...each attraction stands on its own...to do everything would really take all day - and maybe two if you only do parts of days...

anyway...I am sure you didn't want THIS much info...but that was on my brain tonight!

World Showcase we have already decided to skip.Unless we have extra time.
I am so trying to braven up to ride expedition everest. I really want to ride it and I know the kids would love it. As long as its not too bad I can ride it.lol

Thank you for the Wish lounge info. Will they give us a map that has the wish lounges on there? We will definately use those as my dh will need knee surgery when we get back and we will be doing quite a few breaks.

Sourin and turtle talk are definately added to the list.

The safari-We are definately doing this one. I could do without it but Sierra and Tyler and dh will love it.

Toy story added to the list:)

Lion King-this one has me a little worried with Ty.Is it very loud? Do they come up to you? Also with him being in his wheelchair will we be able to sit in the front? I am going to try it and he just might do ok with his headphones on but we may end up having to leave if it is too much for him.

Same thing with Nemo. Can we sit in the back with his wheelchair? He will LOVE this show and I am so excited to see it. We have always wanted to see this one.

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. Please keep them coming. I am adding them to my list. I want to see and do as much as possible:lovestruc

Our trip is coming up so fast. I have a ton of things to do before we leave. Just a week ago it felt like I had plenty of time. Now it seems like I need to move move move. Dh needs a cortisone shot in his knee before we leave so I am scheduling that Monday. Need to get Ty in to the ped as it seems like he has a cyst or something on his face. We thought it was a lymphnode but the family consenus on New Years is it feels more like a cyst. Monday is my dads birthday so we are all going to Red Lobster:woohoo:

Today is try on summer clothes day that way I can go shopping while the kids are in school in case they need something. I borrowed my mom and sisters luggage. Maybe one day I will buy our own :rotfl2: Im trying to figure out what I want to put the "extra's" in that the kids get. A carry on or check it.

Thursday night we spent the evening playing cards. We sat and chatted about airplanes and our trip. It made it all so real. I had butterflies in my stomache before long.I am not a fan of flying by no means and told hubby I was ready to not fly. But this is Ty's wish so we will carry on. I just pray for peace so I can enjoy this flight and this trip.

Safari has a special wheelchair car where he can just drive his w/c in there (or you drive it). :)

Toy Story also has a special wheelchair car so that he can ride and play in his wheelchair.

Lion King - It is pretty intense. You will have a spot right up front with a wheelchair automatically (but you need to get there fairly early - 30 min if the park is busy). They will come up to him a bit and they are all really big out there... there are lots of people in stilts and lots of makeup - and fire. They also have smoke up there that aggravates my asthma and I always use my inhaler if I sit up front.

Nemo - the have GREAT w/c seating right at the back of the front section - ask to have him sit there. :)

I think that is it??

Ohh thank you Maroo! I will have to think on the Lion King. That might be a little too much for him. But the headphones are going to totally make this trip possible. It just tones it down for him where he isnt in total sensory overload. He can walk but long distances and the fact of traveling taking its toll on him Im sure he will be in his chair most of the time.

He is so looking forward to the dolphins and Shamu! Im so glad I did a whole day just for Sea World. I need to get the times for dolphin feeding and anything else that they can do there.

Im offically starting our pre-trip thread woot woot!

Hi I am Tonya mom to Ty(10) and Sierra(12) and DW to Tim. We all absolutely love Disney!

Our son Ty was born on time(barely) but has quite a few medical conditions. He has a swallowing disorder that leaves him choking and gagging quite often. He also has a neurogenic bladder and is in the begining stages of preparing for reconstructive surgery. He also has spina bifida Occulta and had surgery in May to correct his teathered spinal cord. He is mostly fed by a feeding tube.

We are arriving February 14th 2010. A Valentines trip:love: We will be staying at GKTW.We are beyond excited about this. To be able to stay in a place just like home is just unreal. We just cannot imagine what lies ahead for us. We are so grateful! He has quite a few apts coming up and this will be such a great thing to think about during them.

Hey there! I thought I recognized you from P2P - I'm "bananamama" there.:goodvibes I can't believe I just found your PTR! Ali seems to have some similar "issues" to Ty. She also has a tethered spinal cord (post repair) and significant swallowing issues. All of her liquids are thickened, and she's totally NPO during periods of illness when her swallowing really goes to pot. We're hoping to go over April vacation, but February is our second choice if that doesn't work out.

One reason we were waiting to tell the kids is because my fil has bladder cancer. The day before Thanksgiving he found out he has brain cancer and just last week found out it is in his lungs. So it is hard to be excited about our trip and also a little hard to plan as we just don't know what his health state will be at that time. But after talking with our coordinator we feel alot better about the trip and that we can go ahead with our plans so we decided we would go ahead and tell the kids the date on Christmas.

Ty asked me last night if I knew when we were going and I told him no :rotfl:He acted like he didnt believe me lol.

I'm so sorry to read this.:hug:

Did they do a Fees test with Jake? I don't know why but I was thinking he had one. Ty will be having one on Monday to see if they can get more answers with his swallowing.

We recieved some very bad news with Ty Thursday. His right kidney is beginning to be affected and he is spasming really hard. Beginning on Monday after we see the surgeon again he will have to cath all night and start some gentimycin flushes. He is also going to probably have some botox injections in his bladder although he said they may not work so I we are going to need to talk about it more. He is giving him 6-8 weeks to show improvement or he will be scheduled for the bladder reconstruction surgery. He said he will wait till after we get back but not much longer.I really hope this last treamtent helps as I am terrified of that surgery. Big infection risk and Ty has had his share of infections.

Not Christine,:laughing: but Ali has never had a FEES done. No one can tell us why she can't swallow and basically attribute it to the mito. Frustrating! I hope you get some answers and that you see some quick improvement with his bladder function.

Today is try on summer clothes day that way I can go shopping while the kids are in school in case they need something. I borrowed my mom and sisters luggage. Maybe one day I will buy our own :rotfl2: Im trying to figure out what I want to put the "extra's" in that the kids get. A carry on or check it.

Thursday night we spent the evening playing cards. We sat and chatted about airplanes and our trip. It made it all so real. I had butterflies in my stomache before long.I am not a fan of flying by no means and told hubby I was ready to not fly. But this is Ty's wish so we will carry on. I just pray for peace so I can enjoy this flight and this trip.

I need to do the same thing with the girls. I'm afraid that none of Maya's clothes are going to fit her and I'm not going to be able to find many good deals on summer stuff before we go. Oh well! An excuse to shop, I guess! I hate flying, too, and I even went so far as to look up distance to Disney using our GPS.:lmao:

Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to following along!

Kelly

ahh Kelly hi! I thought I recognised your girls!! Welcome!!

I am waiting to talk to Ty's speech therapist b/c since this Fees test things have even gotten worse. And the Fees test showed his little flapper thing working ok so it gave us no answers.The choking is daily now especially with meds as there are some that just cannot go through his gtube. I tried that oralflow cup and that didnt help at all. Im sure anxiety about it is only making things worse. Just this morning he choked on his pretzel and he said his milk saved his life. I cannot count the times he has choked this past week and it is just so frustrating.

That is too funny about the GPS. I am going to take some dramamine for the flight. It helps with the motion sickness but also helps take the edge off too.

It would be great if you could go in February. It would be so nice to meet you!

Hi Tonya,

I just wanted to stop in and say that I am enjoying reading your PTR. I am sorry to hear about your FIL.

Ty is adorable!! My kids aren't that interested in Epcot, except for the highlights....but just today, Brenna (8) asked if we could walk around there and "sample" all the food from different countries!! I said "sounds good to me"!! I LOVE food!!!

I'll continue to follow along!! Your trip will be here before you know it!!

Our trip is coming up so fast. I have a ton of things to do before we leave.

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

You know once we got there, we ditched what we had on "our trip" and just went went the flow.

The thing you want to make sure you do is get the times for Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios, cause it only plays twice a week and just one time, usually 7pm. Wishes fireworks is a MUST a MK, and that is everynight at 8pm following spectromagic...which is another MUST. If Jake could do all three of these every day for our trip, he would.

His IPOD has all the songs from Spectromagic, Fantasmic and Wishes..:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh the one thing we did not do on his Wish trip, was seeing Illumanations at Epcot, and this trip we will be...:thumbsup2

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

You know once we got there, we ditched what we had on "our trip" and just went went the flow.

The thing you want to make sure you do is get the times for Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios, cause it only plays twice a week and just one time, usually 7pm. Wishes fireworks is a MUST a MK, and that is everynight at 8pm following spectromagic...which is another MUST. If Jake could do all three of these every day for our trip, he would.

His IPOD has all the songs from Spectromagic, Fantasmic and Wishes..:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh the one thing we did not do on his Wish trip, was seeing Illumanations at Epcot, and this trip we will be...:thumbsup2

Oh I was just thinking about the parades and fireworks earlier.I need to find the dates and times for those. We haven't seen Fantasmic as the kids have never been there. I definately want to do Wish's and Spectromagic.

Where do I find the dates and times for Fantasmic?

Im really leaning on seeing what I can do with Dine with Shamu. The kids would love sitting next to Shamu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter