Twilight, twilight, twilight....

I don't really understand what's so great about them either. Almost every girl in my school obsesses over it, and all I ever see is girls wearing Twilight shirts, and having purses that say Twilight on them. I was going to read them, but I've lost interest after all the commotion about it. It gets annoying REALLY fast.

I don't really understand what's so great about them either. Almost every girl in my school obsesses over it, and all I ever see is girls wearing Twilight shirts, and having purses that say Twilight on them. I was going to read them, but I've lost interest after all the commotion about it. It gets annoying REALLY fast.

Yeah, there is a huge commotion about it, and I agree, it gets old.
But, honestly, minus all of that, the book itself is good.

They're decent quick books, but maybe I've just never gotten /obsessed/ over a book.
Obsessions can be unhealthy. Some people I see have unhealthy obsessions.

I really really really like the books but I'm not obsessed with them. It's not something I think about every moment of the day or anything. They are books I enjoy along with like 5000 other books I have read.

I'm serious. I read like 100 books a year. Ask anyone in my family.

My point exactly. People don't read the book before making their assumptions on whether they like the book or not. Most people detest this book(or movie)for the fact that everyone else makes a big hype about it. They make their judgements from other people.
People are being somewhat close minded when they do this.
It's like judging a "book by it's cover".

I'll never understand what could possibly be attractive about a vampire.

Awww, really?! I can give you a list if you'd like! :D

1. They sparkle in the sun...like a gleaming diamond. <3

2. They's UBER! ZOMG! strong and can pick up cars and stuff. Kind of like Super Man...only a lot more graceful. <3

and!

3. They have the ability to make you immortal, therefore ensuring that the two of you will live happily ever after until the end of time. <3

But, then again, Werewolves, Wizards, Evil Master-Minds of Destruction and Giant Fluffy Bunnies are also thought of as attractive by some people. So I guess it just kind of depends on the person, really.

I mean, come on! There was a story somewhere....of a princess kissing a FROG!!!! D:

Sure, it did turn into a handsome prince eventually...but it just sounds so disturbing.....and slimy. :crazy2:

2. They's UBER! ZOMG! strong and can pick up cars and stuff. Kind of like Super Man...only a lot more graceful. <3

and!

3. They have the ability to make you immortal, therefore ensuring that the two of you will live happily ever after until the end of time. <3

But, then again, Werewolves, Wizards, Evil Master-Minds of Destruction and Giant Fluffy Bunnies are also thought of as attractive by some people. So I guess it just kind of depends on the person, really.

I mean, come on! There was a story somewhere....of a princess kissing a FROG!!!! D:

Sure, it did turn into a handsome prince eventually...but it just sounds so disturbing.....and slimy. :crazy2:

is..that seriously the description of a vampire given by the author?

...are you kidding me?

Do you think i can finish the book by the 28th thats when my friends and i are going to see it. It was also the first day we could get tickets for!!! I just finished the first chapter and i just started today well yesterday if you are were i live or anywhere past England lol what is the part when you really started to like it??

Twilight is something else...its the newest obseesion after HP ended. I read the book over the summer after my sister did, they were good fiction. They are not in the least bit realistic, very easy quick reads. I do not se a reason to be obsessed, its fiction, as in not real. Many girls are obssssed with the idea of having true love with the perfect man, which every girl dreams about and now they have that "perfect man". The books aren't appealing to alot of people because can be cheesy, predictable, and aren't challlenging. I guess to me it seems it depends on your age, personality, type of books you like to read. Those who want a more intellectually challenging book should stay away. I didn't find them terrible, they were a bit ridiculous in parts though.

is..that seriously the description of a vampire given by the author?

...are you kidding me?

Not exactly, no.

In the book, they are extremely strong and their skin does shine in the light. That's the reason she gives for why they can't go out into pure sun, because if they did their appearance would give them away to those who are 'human'.

But honestly, who cares either way? If you think it's dumb and want to read something more realistic and 'complicated' then that's fine. I personally don't like reading books that are too realistic because I have to deal with enough of 'reality' in my everyday life. I like to be able to 'escape' into some place far away from all the mess and issues that come with the 'real world'. And I really don't want to have to sit down on my free time, after writing 5-10pg. essays and looking up answers to research questions, and read a book that's 'challenging'. Sometimes...simple is a good thing.

I personally liked how she changed the description from your "typical vampire", to something that opens up many possibilities.
You no longer fear just the night, fear lurks during everytime of the day.

She was very inspiring when she did this, I give her props. I love to write myself, and for a writer to put her mind into aciton and let that kind of creativity come out is what writing should be about.
Most books are all the same; vampire eats this person and gets killed by a stake, poor servant falls in love with a rich girl. They're all so repetitive.

This is possibly why I like these books so much. It brings in something new, something to explore.

so, how many other vampire books have you read?

im not saying reading a simple to read book is bad. and i know more about "escaping reality" than someone could possibly imagine. but im sorry, when people are calling the author something that she is not when she herself admitted she did no prior research into the main topic of her books, thats a little i dont know, aggrivating.

I've read a few. I've also seen plenty of movies. I'm a big horror fanatic.

I don't think it's so much about escaping reality. Writers write because they want to tell a story to entertain. There is a difference between escaping reality and being entertained.
I did read how she knew nothing about vampires. I also gave her props for this. The more you know about a subject, the less creative you can be and wonder on your own path.
Somewhat like when...hmm, when you know the answer to a problem that you didn't figure out yourself. It's hard to solve it on your own after that since you already know the answer.

Personally when I write (and my fellow class write) we brainstorm, then we freewrite. We don't research anything, this helps us work our brains further and be more creative.
I'm not saying this method is great for all writers. If you are writing about an event or story in the past you would possibly want to research about the time era.

yes, but from what i've heard that you all have told me; the stuff that she has come up with isn't all that imaginative. a friend of mine has read them all, likes the books, and still tells me that the stuff she has about "her vampires" arent really all that creative at all. and frankly, just not well thought out.

honestly, with something like a vampire that has been a legend for many, many, many years. some dating back to oh, i dont know, egyptian mythology; that stuff is pretty hard to steer off the path from. a vampire is a vampire. they suck blood to live. they are not allowed to be in the sun light. they all have fangs, and they are all un-dead. but if you read/watch/whatever something like, say van hellsing, you'll see there are different sorts of vampires based on their age and strength.

im not trying to step on people's toes with the "your kind of vampire belongs on the disney chanel" way of thinking, but honestly. you cant be all that original with vampires anymore because it has all been done or it has all been said before. adding sparkling skin just raises a couple eye brows and gets a few laughs out of people who have been reading and researching about vampires for years.

people research things when they like a topic, by the way. just because im about to write something, doesn't mean i want to run off to the library for 6 days to brush up on my knowledge about a mythological creature. but the more you know the more real it is to believe. heck, you never know what you can find that is "true to the legend" or "true to the mythology or history" that fits so well with what you may already be writing.

a friend and i write fanfiction together. yeah, fanfiction. and we have spent hours over books at borders, just researching on egypt with an already thought out storyline. we found so many things that interlaced with what we already had come up with, that it made it sound like we were telling a true story from egyptian mythology and history because we were linking names and places that were real.

we believe that if you love the topic you are writing about that much, there is nothing wrong with looking in to where the topic came from, why it originated, what legends and mysteries surround it, or what are they like in different countries. just taking the basic knowledge that everyone knows and adding a little sparkle, if i may, to your story, doesnt make you original or creative.

what im trying to say is, i think she has a long way to go before she can call herself the "literary mother of all vampires".

I don't believe that she is the "mother of all vampires".
I find her creative, and I like it. So basically that is all that matters to me. Personally I like this type of vampire than the others I have read about and seen on the television.
It's all about peoples preferences and I don't think it is right for anyone to come down on a persons writing, no exceptions. It's their own creative expression and output; If someone doesn't like it, put down the book simple as that.
Obviously you are a"vampire" fan and are not a person who would accept some change to the facts. There is nothing wrong with taking a fictional being and completely changing it around. I live and breath for those kinds of stories. I persue the new and creative, rather than the old and boring.

so youre saying the literature or art that the modern day "paranormal/mythological" crap comes from is boring?

mmkay. im sorry, but saying "i only like modern twists on things that have been around forever" sounds a little uncreative, unimaginative, and quite unculutred if you asked me.

but who am i, because apparently im boring.

or is it too hard to understand? all that stuff they make you read in art and history classes?

and yes, i am a vampire fan. i am a fan of a lot of mythological creatures. do i think its wrong that someone writes a story about a vampire? no. do i actively seek out to step on all of those little toes of fangirls that squeal over said person's fictional vampires? no.

i really would rather not argue about why you think this book is the greatest thing since the invention of the light bulb. i dont like it. you do. fantastic.

im stating my opinion as much as you are stating yours.

I'm halfway through Eclipse now...:eek: They're way too addicting! xD

That they are.
I'm a little skeptical about the movie on friday. It looks different from the book in some aspects.
The filming industry always has to have their "upgraded" over the top epic book-to-movie films.

lol I know what you mean- I started reading Twlight this summer, and I ended up finishing all four books in six days, maybe seven. That's all I did was read, they were just too good to put down! I felt much better after reading them, I hope you finish soon!

and!

Haha, I give you an A for effort but I prefer my guys as mere mortals. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter