TWEEN GIRL Christmas Gift ideas!!!!

At 12, my reading wasn't monitored and I was reading the bodice ripping romance style books that were extremely graphic. I sneaked them off my mom's book shelf. As fast as I read, she didn't have time to miss them.

My point was that I can't believe you would challenge another parent about whether they monitor books their kids read on the tween gift board. :confused3

Actually, my reading speed is really high but I don't read most of the books my 13 year old reads. I did ask my DD to look at her books on a regular when she started reading avidly. I didn't act like it was a police raid, we just had lovely conversations that started with "What are you reading now?" and "That looks cool, can I see it?" We still have those conversations and I've enjoy reading some of her books.

I am taping an Amazon gift card to a case of Dr. Pepper for Christmas for her and am considering signing her up for a book a month mailing program.

Okay, once again: I was asking HOW she goes about monitoring the books her dd reads. I never said she shouldn't. I never asked why she does it. I asked how.

As someone who has two avid readers, I have a hard time keeping up with the titles they are reading, let alone what the content is.

The Princess Diaries series is different from the movie but I don’t feel like it’s raunchy. When I was 10 I had the choice between reading horse magazines or my aunts harlequin romances, I chose the romances. They were nothing too erotic like 50 Shades but at the same time it was more mature that Nancy Drew books. If your daughter is old enough to have an Iphone or access to a computer I’m sure she’s seen stuff worse than Princess Diaries. I personally would prefer my daughter to read Princess Diaries compare to Twilight. I feel that having thoughts about going all the way with a boyfriend you’ve had for a while is more realistic and understanding than the abusive control that is going on in Twilight. Books can give your kids ideas but you’re the one who teaches them right from wrong. Maybe talk about the book after they finish and have them ask questions. They’re going to learn about it anyways one day.

I’ve read Girl Talk, Babysitters club, Sweet Valley High and the like when I was younger too but if I had other things in reach then I’d read that too.

I like to check the common sense website the pp mentioned. However a lot of the books she reads aren't on that site. I also check goodreads.com. Their descriptions are good but the reviews usually give more details. If that doesn't work I read two chapters out of the middle of the book. It's not a perfect system but often the naked stuff happens in the middle of the book :rotfl2:. Sometimes it's easy like today she told me she wanted to read a book a friend is reading at school called Tenderness. Look up that description on amazon. Ugh, not happening. I let her read Fault in Our Stars and I read it at the same time. For us, it opened up a good dialogue. And it was well written, honest and wasn't graphic.

At 12 I was researching a geography assignment and found Tropic of Capricorn.

Can anyone recommend a good book or series? My DD (11) loves to read. She has already read all the Kingdom Keepers, Percy Jackson & also the Hunger games. I'm always afraid of the subject matter in some books. I finally gave in to the Hunger games & she loved it. Anything else that is good & appropriate? Tx!

Sounds like she likes the books my son likes. Try:

Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children (2 books), Some minor swearing (less graphic than the junior high halls!)

Maze Runner series (honestly don't know about this one)
Divergent series (ok, bad mom...don't know about this one either)

Timebound: The Chronos Files (this one was fine!)

I'm completely with you. I can handle violence and war but if the characters go anywhere past kissing I'm not comfortable letting my 12 year old read it. She told me about a book another girl was reading at school and asked me to request it from the library. Oh my stars! It was so inappropriate!

I know! Exactly how I feel!

I'm in the market for:

*Ugg boots- I know why they are called Ughs! they are waaay expensive. lol
*ipod touch- Should I get 32 gb or 64 gb? Is there going to be a better deal then refurbs on apple's website?
* some sort of docking clock radio- any suggestions?
*books- need suggestions, DD10 has read all of the HP, Artemis fowl, warriors cats
* Harry Potter "stuff"- any suggestions for cool items that aren't just junk? he likes Ravenclaw.

I'm in the market for:

*Ugg boots- I know why they are called Ughs! they are waaay expensive. lol
*ipod touch- Should I get 32 gb or 64 gb? Is there going to be a better deal then refurbs on apple's website?
* some sort of docking clock radio- any suggestions?
*books- need suggestions, DD10 has read all of the HP, Artemis fowl, warriors cats
* Harry Potter "stuff"- any suggestions for cool items that aren't just junk? he likes Ravenclaw.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Merchandise/ProductList.aspx?q=ravenclaw

here is the link for ravenclaw items at harry potter

I'm in the market for: *Ugg boots- I know why they are called Ughs! they are waaay expensive. lol *ipod touch- Should I get 32 gb or 64 gb? Is there going to be a better deal then refurbs on apple's website? * some sort of docking clock radio- any suggestions? *books- need suggestions, DD10 has read all of the HP, Artemis fowl, warriors cats * Harry Potter "stuff"- any suggestions for cool items that aren't just junk? he likes Ravenclaw.

Books - how about the kingdom keepers books. My DD11 finished the series earlier this year.

Can anyone recommend a good book or series? My DD (11) loves to read. She has already read all the Kingdom Keepers, Percy Jackson & also the Hunger games. I'm always afraid of the subject matter in some books. I finally gave in to the Hunger games & she loved it. Anything else that is good & appropriate? Tx!

I highly recommend the book series, Maximum Ride by James Patterson. There's 8 books in the series I believe, so your DD won't run out anytime soon! It's appropriate (nothing more than kissing and the violence isn't too bad), and really interesting too!

Anyone that was looking to do the Poshpak subscription, December is already sold out : ( So you would have to start with January.

Anyone that was looking to do the Poshpak subscription, December is already sold out : ( So you would have to start with January.

Bummer! I was looking at that one, but went with Boddle box because it was cheaper. It looks fun though, may have to add that one too!

I'd say by 12. That's the age when Gymboree, Gap, and Justice become "uncool".

Mine is 11 and I'm still firmly stuck in Justice h*ll. But Gymboree was out a long time ago. I think my second DD refused to wear Gymboree once she hit 1st grade.

:hourglass
Bummer! I was looking at that one, but went with Boddle box because it was cheaper. It looks fun though, may have to add that one too!

My friend and I used to use BoxxyCharm. It's such a great box but we're trying a new one, Beauty Box 5 which is a cheaper alternative. But BoxxyCharm is great if you want all full sized products.

OK, someone out there knows what I'm looking for.
It's a hoodie, I think by Nike.

The print is the cosmos-- stars and planets. I've googled everything from Astronomy to Stars to Planets to I don't know what, and I can't find the right term for it.

What is it called??

OK, someone out there knows what I'm looking for. It's a hoodie, I think by Nike. The print is the cosmos-- stars and planets. I've googled everything from Astronomy to Stars to Planets to I don't know what, and I can't find the right term for it. What is it called??

Is it one of the Nike KO hoodie's? Maybe try searching on that?

OK, someone out there knows what I'm looking for.
It's a hoodie, I think by Nike.

The print is the cosmos-- stars and planets. I've googled everything from Astronomy to Stars to Planets to I don't know what, and I can't find the right term for it.

What is it called??

Well the popular term for that kind of print is "galaxy", so try that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter