• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tween Club

I would have to agree that the lab/club should be seperated.... I think it is great for the little kids- and I am personally glad about it for our upcoming cruise as I have a 4 yr old (will be turning 5 just before we sail) that I guarantee would not set foot in the club w/out his siblings... He is the "baby" in the family and has seperation anxiety still even at his age (don't know how he is going to go to kindergarten next year;)) and the current club set up is a blessing for us...... Even with that said- I know my 8 and 10 yr olds, like others that age would probably be better off seperated from the younger ones..... And if that were the case, my 4yr old simply would not do the clubs (without me) and we would have to live with that..... I'm guessing I'm not the only one with a little one like this and that is what caused the change..... But like I said, even though it benefits me personally- I recognize that it is not necessarily the best set up..... BUT- letting 10 yr olds into the Edge is doing the same thing to the middleschoolers that the older elementary kids have had done to them and two wrongs don't make a right.... So, I don't think letting 10 yr olds into the Edge is the answer.... As long as they continue with Out & About- I think it is still more that possible for a 10 yr old to enjoy the kids clubs.... My 10 yr old dd will be remaining in the kids clubs, I do not plan to ask them to move her up and honestly- I hope other parents feel the same so that she can have other kids her age in the kids clubs to play with:thumbsup2

Can't agree that having a 10 year old with 13 year olds is the same as having 3-10 year olds together. That means a 5th grader is in the same group with someone who may have still worn diapers a week before the cruise. That's a huge difference.

On the bright side, my DD10 has always wanted to be a preschool teacher. I guess this will be a good test of how she gets along with large groups of little kids.

I totally agree with you! My DS will be almost 10 when we cruise in March, and he definitely doesn't want to hang out with 3-7 year olds! It seems that they've done away with the age restrictions to satisfy the parents of the little kids who wanted to move up to the lab...but the group that gets the raw end of the deal is the 8-10 group. Now they don't have a place of their own. The 3-7 year olds get free reign of both the club and the lab, and now the 8-10 year olds don't have anywhere to go without little kids. As a 5th grade teacher and a mom, I think it's ridiculous to force 3rd-5th graders to play with preschool-2nd graders!! There is a HUGE difference between these two age groups!

I have 3 yr old twins, and a 10 yr old (and a 12 and 13 yr old). I do not like having the open age groups. Sure, it's kind of nice that my 10 yr old can check in on the twins. She enjoys being able to see them, but I certainly am not expecting her to spend her vacation looking out for them. Part of why cruising (esp on DCL) is such a great option for my family (with kids spanning 10 yrs), is that the older kids can have older-kid fun while the little kids are just as happily entertained....and there are plenty of opportunities for the entire family to have fun together. With the open age groups, I have to worry about my tiny 3 yr olds getting mowed over by kids that are too excited and not quite old enough to be careful not to hurt the little ones. I'd much rather have my 3 yr olds in a strict 3-5 yr old age group.

Jess

I can't figure out how to use this thing. My daughter has Down syndrome. She turns 13 on the cruise. The Oceaneer Lab and such look a little young. Anyone have suggestions on how we should decide where she should go?

I can't figure out how to use this thing. My daughter has Down syndrome. She turns 13 on the cruise. The Oceaneer Lab and such look a little young. Anyone have suggestions on how we should decide where she should go?

Hi
I can't speak to a Disney cruise specifically as we are going on our first in July!

However I am a teacher and have had children who who have Down syndrome in my class. I would say that you know your daughter best and if she would not have fun with the Oceaneer Lab activities, then the Edge might be better (ages 11-14 from what I understand...my daughter will also turn 13 on the cruise and will be going to the Edge)

My only concern would be that the Edge seems way more 'open ended' than the Oceaneer Lab. Does your daughter like to know what's going on? Does she like to do activities? I believe they sign themselves in and out of Edge. You will need a plan on how to handle this with your daughter.

I would consider what she does at home/school. Perhaps ask her teachers what they think would be best. They see her daily in large groups both structured and less so. If you show them the different descriptions, maybe they can help.

Truth is, my 13 year old would like some of the fun activities in the Oceaneer Lab! She loves science and cooking and the marketed materials for those activities sound like fun! I think the Edge will require more time to 'warm up' as it seems they have less structure.

Hope this helps!

At age 13 your DD will be in the Edge. 13 is too old to be registered in the Lab, but you will be able to take her there with you during the open house times that will be noted in the navigator. You can ask the YCMs what those times will be at the beginning of the cruise and though they may not have it printed out, could give you an idea of what activities will be scheduled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter