Tween Club

This is another huge problem. One child is moved as an 'exception' and then so many more want moved. This can not happen because it causes a huge imbalance in the numbers in the programmes, and is so difficult to manage and keep track of.

DCL has created tween clubs o all their ships to address the problem of the number of kids wanted moved from the Lab to the teen clubs. All this seems to have done is move the problem to tweens wanting in the teen club, and lab kids wanting in the tween club.

What many people don't realise is that their children will be (99.9% of the time) happy in their age appropriate activities with their peer group. Of the children that were moved to the teen club, I would estimate that about 80% went one night and never again because they felt uncomfortable. The vast majority of complaints about the teen club were lodged by parents of children who were moved up to the teen club.

I always found the argument of keeping siblings together to be so amusing. When you would ask each sibling if they wanted to be together, they would normally say 'no'. They would never play together either.

As crew, this is always the most frustrating thing to deal with. Yes, parents know their children best, however, the crew know child entertainment best. You know that the children would be better off in their age group. You know why they shouldn't be moved but parents can be so insistent.

:thumbsup2
I agree! And this type of thing is not limited to cruising.... I use to be the church nursery director.... (and I work for the school system now) EVERYONE wants their kid "moved up".... People w/1 yr olds would say their kid should be with the two's; people w/2 yr olds would say their kid should be with the 3's.... And so on and so on..... And while I can understand making the occasional exception, then everyone wants an exception and it gets out of hand..... I like the within 30 days of bday rule.... but if everyone got their request- there may as well be no age restrictions as their would just be a variety of aged kids in all different clubs- and IMO this would make the clubs less enjoyable for the kiddo's.....

What many people don't realise is that their children will be (99.9% of the time) happy in their age appropriate activities with their peer group.

I don't disagree with everything you said, but I'm not so sure about this. My DD was 10 and 4 months in Oct. when we went on the Wonder. She was by far the oldest kid in the Lab. Perhaps if they kept the Club and the Lab kids separate like they used to..... But she really had no desire to hang out with 5 or 6 year olds. She wants to go to the Tween group in May for this reason. Because the Lab/Club are *not* her age group.

People are still talking about the Club and Lab as if they are 2 separate things. They may have separate rooms, but the Lab has kids from 3 to 10 in there.

I don't disagree with everything you said, but I'm not so sure about this. My DD was 10 and 4 months in Oct. when we went on the Wonder. She was by far the oldest kid in the Lab. Perhaps if they kept the Club and the Lab kids separate like they used to..... But she really had no desire to hang out with 5 or 6 year olds. She wants to go to the Tween group in May for this reason. Because the Lab/Club are *not* her age group.

People are still talking about the Club and Lab as if they are 2 separate things. They may have separate rooms, but the Lab has kids from 3 to 10 in there.

Oh, I agree with returning the Lab and Club to two separate entities. And your point is 100% correct. The reason it was changed was because of the amount of 5, 6 and 7 year-old parents wanting their kids moved up to the lab. IMO managing 10 year-old's and 3 year-old's require so many different skills. But this all returns back to parents wanting their children moved up. Unfortunately DCL has responded to what parents want, and not what is best for the children/ crew.

The old 10 - 12 age group was much better than the 'tween' group IMO. Although there were structured programmes, there were also times to just hang out.

I do think, and this is not a 'dig' at parents, but a general observation from my career. Parents often 'want' for their children, what the children don't want. Parents can also (not on purpose) talk down an activity, which removes the child's interest.

It is hard to make generalized assumptions on what children want and what parents want. I as a parent of 2 girls are not anxious to make them act older than they are or move them up to the next level. My 10 year and 9 month old daughter is begging me already to go to the tween area, while I would like to her stay in the lab. She has been to the lab twice and is ready to move on. This is going to be tough telling her she has to stay in the lab...meltdown city!:)

:thumbsup2
I agree! And this type of thing is not limited to cruising.... I use to be the church nursery director.... (and I work for the school system now) EVERYONE wants their kid "moved up".... People w/1 yr olds would say their kid should be with the two's; people w/2 yr olds would say their kid should be with the 3's.... And so on and so on..... And while I can understand making the occasional exception, then everyone wants an exception and it gets out of hand..... I like the within 30 days of bday rule.... but if everyone got their request- there may as well be no age restrictions as their would just be a variety of aged kids in all different clubs- and IMO this would make the clubs less enjoyable for the kiddo's.....

mcg3RpFz I agree totally with what you just said. As a mother of a 13 year old tween son I have concerns of him being happy in the tween club. He's 13.5 years old and in 8th grade. Now with that being said, I also don't feel that he's ready to hang out with 17 year olds but he wouldn't want to hang out with elementary aged 10 year olds either. I understand those parents that have children on the high end age of the younger club feeling they are ready for the next club so they won't be bored. Just keep in mind there are also parents of the older level kids in the tween clubs that would prefer that they adhere to the age restrictions so the older kids don't become bored. I feel confident that Disney has plenty of experience and findings to back up why they set cut off ages as they did. Everyone enjoy your cruise. :woohoo:

I've also heard about this 30 day rule. Does anyone know if applies the other direction as well? In our situation we have a DS 11 , and a DS that just turned 14. The just turned 14 year old has NO desire to be in the teen area with older kids. (He is extremely shy and terrified of girls.) He is really hoping to be in the tween area with his younger brother.

Someone else said you can always present the arguement about the school grade. My 14 is still in middle school, so he should be with other middle schoolers.

Do you think I will have any luck with this? What is complicating matters is that my 14DS is very tall, and he will tower over the other tweens. I worry about the other kid/parents wondering why such a tall kid is in the tween area. But I would still like this option.

We had this type of thing and they allowed the older to go to the younger but the younger could not go to the older. It had to be done on board.

You are permitted to sign up a 'tween' for the lab, but that removes them for the Tween Program.

Ok ....so this means that if my 12 year old daughter and 11 year old niece want to spend some time with my other 8 year old niece, they can NEVER go to the tween club ???? That makes no sense ! :sad2:

Ok ....so this means that if my 12 year old daughter and 11 year old niece want to spend some time with my other 8 year old niece, they can NEVER go to the tween club ???? That makes no sense ! :sad2:

Well, actually they can all three participate together in Out & About activities.... These activities are either held in the Edge or other places outside of the kids groups (will be listed on navigator). There are several opportunities/activites each day scheduled for Out and About- Out & About is for ages 8-13. So, while the 11 and 12 yr old will "belong" to the Edge and the 8 yr old will "belong" to the kids group- those groups (again 8-13) will be combined for certain activites- So, it really is a win-win IMO....

On the Dream in June I am going to try to get my 14 year old in the Tween club.
I have a very mature 11 year old and a not so mature 14 year old that I feel is just too young for the Teen club. Also, it is easier for me to keep up with them if both kids are together.
The bad thing is the 14 will be very close to turning 15- like 3 weeks later- so I hope that does not create an issue.

I totally get what you are thinking when you are thinking that this makes no sense. You are looking at this from your families point of view. When you look at it from the youth activities management point of view you may see why they have this this policy.

Youth Activities management is (quite rightly) expected to know the location of all children signed into youth programming. They are also expected to ensure that (for health, safety and security) only the appropriate people are using the clubs. If you have children going back and forth between clubs this makes so difficult to fulfil this (remember that there can be 1, 000+ children on the Dream). It is, IMO, a very valid logistical requirement. Pluss, add in the fact that if you are moving children between age groups you will be required to re-register each time - making more paperwork for you, and quite unpopular when signing children in!

Like the other poster says, there is plenty for the children to do together away from structured programming - which they will be welcomed into as well as.

I think if people are going to cruise with children/ expect them to be in these clubs, then its also the parents repsonsibility to factor in these age groups/ age limits into Your Cruise planning....

If i Really wanted my TEEN to only be in the 11 year old program and he was 9, why would you ASSUME You could just move them up yourself...you wait until they are 11 or you follow the rules of what Disney says..I dont get why people think *they* can be the rule and get special treatment.:confused3

(Quote)I think if people are going to cruise with children/ expect them to be in these clubs, then its also the parents repsonsibility to factor in these age groups/ age limits into Your Cruise planning....

If i Really wanted my TEEN to only be in the 11 year old program and he was 9, why would you ASSUME You could just move them up yourself...you wait until they are 11 or you follow the rules of what Disney says..I dont get why people think *they* can be the rule and get special treatment.(Quote-End)

I don't think everyone is assuming they can do what they want and are trying to break rules, I think a lot of us me included are asking questions to what the rules are and how it all works. If you have never used a club you don't know exactly how they do things. I have asked the same question, my two girls want to stay together two different age groups so how does that work, do they get broken up or do they not attend at all. I think these are all valid questions. I am sorry we don't know everything and all the ins and outs, I am glad you do and that is why we come to the boards so we can get answers. Since my girls would be broken up we just don't use the clubs, problem solved. Not a big deal.

Think long and hard about what's best for your kids. There is a HUGE difference between what 9-10 year olds know about, and what they will learn from 11-13 year olds. If you're really ok with that, then go ahead and ask after you board.

Think long and hard about what's best for your kids. There is a HUGE difference between what 9-10 year olds know about, and what they will learn from 11-13 year olds. If you're really ok with that, then go ahead and ask after you board.

This is exactly why I was so glad the Edge opened on the Wonder- I did NOT want my 13 yr old in with older teens/high school age kids! I think a lot of parents think about the activites and atmosphere and that is there reasoning... My 13 yr old is plenty mature enough to enjoy the activities and freedom offered in the teen club... But I do not want him hanging around with high schoolers..... Same for my dd- she is 10.... She would enjoy the Edge activities and atmosphere, she is mature and responsible enough to have the added freedom that comes with the tween club- however, I do NOT want her hanging out with middle schoolers (even though her brothers are in there). There is a big jump from elementary to middle school and also a big jump from middle school to high school. I honestly would not mind if the clubs were set up by grade, rather than age..... Which their existing set up is similar to that.....

I have a question for you all.

Let me start by saying this is our first Disney Cruise, but we have cruised previously on several other lines. My children (DS 8 and DD 12) absolutely live for the kids club. We actually decided to book this cruise on Disney Wonder because my daughter would still be eligible to be in the kids club. It listed the ages on the Wonder as 3-12. At that point I had no idea that they were starting a tween club. My daughter has always felt more comfortable with kids a little younger than herself. Does anyone have any idea if she will still be allowed to be in the kids club instead of the tween club? We have talked with her about it and she still really wants to be in the club. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you

I have a question for you all.

Let me start by saying this is our first Disney Cruise, but we have cruised previously on several other lines. My children (DS 8 and DD 12) absolutely live for the kids club. We actually decided to book this cruise on Disney Wonder because my daughter would still be eligible to be in the kids club. It listed the ages on the Wonder as 3-12. At that point I had no idea that they were starting a tween club. My daughter has always felt more comfortable with kids a little younger than herself. Does anyone have any idea if she will still be allowed to be in the kids club instead of the tween club? We have talked with her about it and she still really wants to be in the club. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Another poster mentioned that the clubs offer a lot more leeway with kids asking to move down rather than up.... That coupled with the fact that you booked the cruise expecting for your dd to be in the kids club sounds like enough reasoning for them to seriously consider your request.... If you were asking the 8 yr old to move up it would almost definately be a no... But I think they will be acommodating to moving your daughter down....

True, but many are already dealing with that now in school. We have ever since DD started school. She is in class now with 11 & 12 yos and that is the age group she is use to. She is the youngest in her class at 10 1/2 and does well. Also, I know from experience that she does not like going to the lab. After 6 cruises she has been consistent with that and since we were not traveling with friends this time she had no one to "endure" two hours in the lab with while we went to Palo. We ended up cancelling Palo because DS wanted to do an activity in the Edge at that time and I didn't feel like having DD be stuck in the room while we were enjoying dinner.

True, but many are already dealing with that now in school. We have ever since DD started school. She is in class now with 11 & 12 yos and that is the age group she is use to. She is the youngest in her class at 10 1/2 and does well. Also, I know from experience that she does not like going to the lab. After 6 cruises she has been consistent with that and since we were not traveling with friends this time she had no one to "endure" two hours in the lab with while we went to Palo. We ended up cancelling Palo because DS wanted to do an activity in the Edge at that time and I didn't feel like having DD be stuck in the room while we were enjoying dinner.

So, your dd is in middle school? My dd is 10 and in 4th grade... My ds is 11 and in 6th grade (middle school). They are only 17 mos apart, but due to b-days there is a grade between them..... I'm expecting my dd(10) to love the kids clubs.... What didn't your dd like?

Do the Tween kids get a chance to experience the Lab during what is called (just learned about this on this thread) Out -N- About? Like making flubber? Some parts of the Lab would be cool for the 11--13 yr. old group...

I am happy there is a Tween club because I would not want my 12 1/2 yr old w/ high schoolers either. We have transitioned into middle school @ 5th grade in our district this year. Let me tell you, it has truly been an eye opener even now...

Plus, if the DSs see each other occassionally, it may give us better moments together and not on each other's nerves!

I think if people are going to cruise with children/ expect them to be in these clubs, then its also the parents repsonsibility to factor in these age groups/ age limits into Your Cruise planning....

If i Really wanted my TEEN to only be in the 11 year old program and he was 9, why would you ASSUME You could just move them up yourself...you wait until they are 11 or you follow the rules of what Disney says..I dont get why people think *they* can be the rule and get special treatment.:confused3

Problem is we did all that planning and Disney just made changes on the Wonder. Changes were made after final payment was due and now I think people are trying to figure out a way to make it work for all kids involved. It's pretty hard to explain to a 10 year old that has been looking forward to this trip for a year that she will no longer be allowed to go into the club with her 11 and 12 year old friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter