Tween Club

Still curious what Out-N- Abouts are all about? Do the tweens get to experience some of the lab fun of the Oceaneer? Seperation is good for all... could make you appreciate each other more (or not :rotfl:)

Still curious what Out-N- Abouts are all about? Do the tweens get to experience some of the lab fun of the Oceaneer? Seperation is good for all... could make you appreciate each other more (or not :rotfl:)

now don't hold me on this if I'm incorrect- but it seems like to me the out n abouts were like activities planned outside of the clubs in other areas or activities that involve them running around (like scavenger hunts/etc.)

now on magic it seems I do remember they had some periods of time where they had like activities for club age group in lab and vice versa. I can't remember if the oceanquest had time in the lab- but maybe. I do know the morning hours were like open house/family time in oceanquest for all ages. Although I didn't really understand why they only had open "family time" for all ages in oceanquest but not in the lab/club that I noticed.

Also seems like I remember hearing that some time slots are now being scheduled for ADULTS like in the lab to do certain activities that apparently they were getting feedback about (that adults wanted to do those things)- so now there are times the lab is closed earlier than normal to the kids that age so parents can go in and do flubber and stuff like that? Interesting. :confused3

An example of out & about would be: Dodge Ball scheduled at 2pm. The kids in the Edge would also be scheduled for Dodge Ball at 2pm. You would then have two options; if your child is not in the club at 2pm- they can walk themselves to the sports deck for dodge ball. If the child is in the kids club at 2pm and has sign out privlidges and is 8-10 yrs old- they can walk with the counselors to play dodgeball at 2pm. If your child is in the Edge at 2pm (ages 11-13) they will go at that time to play dodgeball also. Some times an activity for out & about is held inside the Edge; in that case the Edge kids would simply remain in the Edge; the kids club kiddos aged 8-10 w/sigh out privlidges could either meet up at the Edge at the scheduled time or if they are in the kids club at the time to go, the counselors will walk over with them.... I have not heard of any Out & About activities being held in the Lab but like the above poster mentioned; there is "family time" in the Lab now- at this time the Lab would be open to all ages; or atleast that is my understanding of it......

:confused3
After reading all of the posts on the tween club, I am so confused! I will be sailing in May with my daughter; she'll be ten when we sail and turn eleven our 2nd day on the ship. I was hoping she would get to experience both the lab and the tween space.
We are sailing with friends with kids aged 3,8,and 15. and I know my daughter will want to try some of the activities in the lab, but at 5'6" tall, and mature, she will fit in with the tween's club too. Is their any way she can spend time in both spaces??

The adults were allowed in the Lab on one of the WBPC cruises. This was due to the small number of kids on the ship.

After reading all of the posts on the tween club, I am so confused! I will be sailing in May with my daughter; she'll be ten when we sail and turn eleven our 2nd day on the ship. I was hoping she would get to experience both the lab and the tween space.
We are sailing with friends with kids aged 3,8,and 15. and I know my daughter will want to try some of the activities in the lab, but at 5'6" tall, and mature, she will fit in with the tween's club too. Is their any way she can spend time in both spaces??

Speak to the counselors on board and I'm sure she will be able to use both spaces. I think it really depends on how many kids are on board in each age group. My dd turns 11 4 months after our cruise which puts her in grade 5 middle school age. I suspect she will be able to use the edge. The generic response from dcl is speak to the counselors on board and they will assess...here is the response I received from them.

The youth activities onboard have been designed for children to
participate in age appropriate groups, which allow them to interact
both socially and comfortably with peers of their own age and size.
However, we realize that a parent may want the child to participate in a
different age group. Once on the ship please meet with one of the Youth Counselors to discuss your request. This will give you the opportunity to discuss which area of the youth activities will be best for you and XXXXX and XXXX.
Please be assured, there will be adequate space in whichever group is
assigned I hope this information has been helpful. Should you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please contact your travel agent.
We look forward to sailing with you!
Have a Magical Day!

I'm wondering the same thing. Please note that I'm not trying to offend anyone, but the age groups are what they are. If they don't work for your needs, then don't use them. On our Carnival cruise, the activities for my 11 years olds were beneath them in the 8-11 group (or whatever it was), so they didn't go much. However, my 13 year had a good time.

I agree but think they should make some exceptions for those that had to make final payment before the changes were made. We did our research and made desicions and final payment based on the old rules. Now 2 months before we sail Disney makes changes. I think people in that situation deserve a little more leeway than someone who books and pays knowing what the current age limits are.

I agree but think they should make some exceptions for those that had to make final payment before the changes were made. We did our research and made desicions and final payment based on the old rules. Now 2 months before we sail Disney makes changes. I think people in that situation deserve a little more leeway than someone who books and pays knowing what the current age limits are.

You make a good point.

I do think that is a valid argument. For you having a 10,11,and12 yr old- I think they will easily let you move the 11 and 12 yr old down to the kids club since that is where you were expecting them to be when you booked and paid. As for moving the 10 yr old up- that argument is less valid- since the Edge didn't even exsists when you booked, so obviously you didn't expect them to go there.... Even with that said, I could feature them allowing your dd10 to move up since she is 10.... but certainly not guaranteed.... I would be hesitant to force the 11 and 12 yr old to move down just to please the 10 yr old unless they want too, as I think if they are middle school aged- they would really prefer Edge.... And there is always Out & About for them to hang together also..... I'm sure it will work out one way or another....

I don't think they are going to let your child participate in both groups, that goes against the "rules". However, I'm sure they will let her have her choice as to which club she attends....

Thanks for info on Out-n-Abouts. They are kind of what I figured they were.

Hopefully tweens can do labs too... they still like that stuff too during OnAs. Or we will visit as a family.

I do think that is a valid argument. For you having a 10,11,and12 yr old- I think they will easily let you move the 11 and 12 yr old down to the kids club since that is where you were expecting them to be when you booked and paid. As for moving the 10 yr old up- that argument is less valid- since the Edge didn't even exsists when you booked, so obviously you didn't expect them to go there.... Even with that said, I could feature them allowing your dd10 to move up since she is 10.... but certainly not guaranteed.... I would be hesitant to force the 11 and 12 yr old to move down just to please the 10 yr old unless they want too, as I think if they are middle school aged- they would really prefer Edge.... And there is always Out & About for them to hang together also..... I'm sure it will work out one way or another....

Again, I agree but between our group and others we know who are traveling with other groups there are several 11-13 year olds and one 10 year old. I would never ask others to move down to make my daughter happy and it seems that it would be easier for Disney to make one exception than to make several. Either way I'm sure it will work out for us. It just bothers me that people come to these boards to ask questions and get attacked by people who don't know all the facts of each situation.

Just as we should not ASSUME that Disney will bend the rules for us, we should not ASSUME that we know the facts behind someone's reason for asking for that exception.

I don't think they are going to let your child participate in both groups, that goes against the "rules". However, I'm sure they will let her have her choice as to which club she attends....
Actually- if she meant like be in the lab for a bit and then move to edge (not move back and forth at will) then they probably will.
The child will be 10 when boarding, the child will be signed up for the lab. Child could go to lab... then the 2nd day of cruise is then 11yrs old. At that point (or the next day or whenever after that point) if child decides they'd rather be in edge- I highly doubt they will refuse the child since the child will be the actual age required for Edge. I can't see them saying oh you're 11 now but sorry, you were 10 on the first day of the cruise so you're stuck in the lab even though you're above the age for lab. I don't see that happening......

I mean unless they get super strict on Dream and do it differently than Magic.
Case in point, I've cruised with a child who was about 2mo shy of being 11 and started out in the lab at beginning of cruise. Talked to them and asked if he could go to OQ and they let him. If they'll let someone who is not even 11 yet sometimes, I highly doubt they'll refuse a child who actually IS 11 then.

In reference to my earlier post about my 11 son. To recap, I went online to sign him up for the clubs. There was an option for the Lab but no option for Edge. So I asked if he could do both and what the requirements were going in and out of Edge. Here is the e-mail I received.

Thank you for choosing a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist with the 'Tween' area on the Disney Dream.

Edge is a loft-style lounge for ‘Tweens’ 11-13 years of age.

This cool hideaway features hi-tech entertainment, including a lighted
dance floor and tables with notebook computers for playing games or for
accessing the onboard social media application. Perhaps the lounge's
most impressive component is a state-of-the-art video wall that
stretches more than 18 feet long and nearly 5 feet tall. Comprised of 18
individual LCD screens, the video wall acts as a giant screen, or its'
separate screens can be divided in any combination to accommodate
different-sized video feeds.

During available hours (yet to be determined), children who are 11 - 13
years of age are able to go in and out of Edge as much as they want. The
children do not have to 'check-in' or 'check-out' with the counselors
that will be supervising at all times.

If you prefer that your child be in secured programming, please feel
free to discuss this with a counselor once onboard. The child can be
enrolled in Disney's Oceaneer Lab.

The children do not have to be registered with Youth Activities to
participate in the Edge activities; however, the counselors will check
to make sure they are the correct age for the location.

I hope this information has been helpful. Should you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please contact your travel agent.

We look forward to sailing with you!

I'm another person with a daughter who will be 3 months shy of turning 11 before our cruise.

What I wish is, that rather than dividing kids up by actual age, they would have some way to divide them by grade in school. That way, those kids, like my daughter who are young for their grade, can be with friends their own age.

I know it would be totally complicated and no way for DCL to monitor it, but it's definitely something I wish could happen. My dd has been "meeting" different kids from our cruise that are in the same grade, yet they will all be 11 by the cruise date and probably want to be in the tween club, thus leaving my daughter behind :(

I have a daughter on the 10 year old/11 year old cusp when we sail in May, so I've read the thread. What I have found most interesting is that no one has an explanation for WHY the 10 year olds want to get bumped to The Edge. I can tell you (for my daughter at least) it is because the Lab lets in all the little kids. If they actually made the Lab for 8, 9, and 10 year olds and scheduled activities they would enjoy - then she'd be quite happy right there.

Why did they basically do away with the Club/Lab age restrictions, yet now want to adhere to a Tween/Teen age separation?

I've been reading this, and as someone fairly recently out of high school, I'm finding it extremely interesting. Of course, the last time I was on a Disney Cruise, there was no tween club, so I'm not sure how that all works.

Here's my question: my first two Disney Cruises, I was 10 and 12. I was in the lab with the 10-12 group. There were 8-9 year olds in the lab as well, but I'd say we were with them in programming less than half of the time. Is it like that in the Club/Lab now? I'm assuming that there will be specific programming for the older kids separate from the younger kids, right? It's not like a fifth grader will be hanging out with a preschooler.

I have a daughter on the 10 year old/11 year old cusp when we sail in May, so I've read the thread. What I have found most interesting is that no one has an explanation for WHY the 10 year olds want to get bumped to The Edge. I can tell you (for my daughter at least) it is because the Lab lets in all the little kids. If they actually made the Lab for 8, 9, and 10 year olds and scheduled activities they would enjoy - then she'd be quite happy right there.

Why did they basically do away with the Club/Lab age restrictions, yet now want to adhere to a Tween/Teen age separation?

I totally agree with you! My DS will be almost 10 when we cruise in March, and he definitely doesn't want to hang out with 3-7 year olds! It seems that they've done away with the age restrictions to satisfy the parents of the little kids who wanted to move up to the lab...but the group that gets the raw end of the deal is the 8-10 group. Now they don't have a place of their own. The 3-7 year olds get free reign of both the club and the lab, and now the 8-10 year olds don't have anywhere to go without little kids. As a 5th grade teacher and a mom, I think it's ridiculous to force 3rd-5th graders to play with preschool-2nd graders!! There is a HUGE difference between these two age groups!

^^ agree.
While my youngest has always been small for her age and due to demographics of our neighborhood/homeschool group/etc. tends to make really good friends of those slightly younger than her rather than her age or older... that is kinda pushing it even for her at this point. I mean we cruised once when she was barely 8 and she wanted to go in the club instead- the activities were more her style. We have cruised when she was barely 9 and she tried both trying to find the place she fit in most. But now at her age (10) right now even SHE (as described to you above) probably wouldn't enjoy it 100% being with kids from barely potty trained up to 2nd grade. I mean even she has her limits. I can't imagine what other 10 to almost 11yr olds feel about this.. especially those more mature either physically, mentally, socially, etc or all the above.
Now because of this situation, and turning 11 on the day we set sail on our Dream b2b cruises this summer- she's thinking she wants to go to Edge and personally I think that'll be a little above her head... some of those kids will be almost 14, some might even be 14 who have asked to be moved down from teen stack. In so many ways they are going to be more "mature" than her. For instance my 13yr old is nothing like her- he's all "teen" and he's already taller than I am! but the only other option is amongst kids way younger than her. I dunno what we're gonna do. Probably let her try out Edge (much to "almost 14 at time of cruise" son's dismay) and see if that works well and if not, then ask to let her move down and hopefully it works out okay.
I've been reading this, and as someone fairly recently out of high school, I'm finding it extremely interesting. Of course, the last time I was on a Disney Cruise, there was no tween club, so I'm not sure how that all works.

Here's my question: my first two Disney Cruises, I was 10 and 12. I was in the lab with the 10-12 group. There were 8-9 year olds in the lab as well, but I'd say we were with them in programming less than half of the time. Is it like that in the Club/Lab now? I'm assuming that there will be specific programming for the older kids separate from the younger kids, right? It's not like a fifth grader will be hanging out with a preschooler.

For awhile now it has no longer been like that (our first cruise our eldest was 12- and it was exactly how you described, but all other cruises since then it has been changed.) For quite some time it changed to having a "tween" group 11-13 and upon making that new age group- they then changed lab to 8-10 and not seperated like you mentioned. It basically put 10yr olds with younger kids, and 11-12yr olds with 13yr olds.

and then more recently- they changed it even more. They changed it where kids in the club and lab can go back and forth between club and lab. so now there are kids ages potty trained up thru 10yr olds co-mingling for activities in either club or lab. Which might be why there is becoming an increasing tendency for kids 10-10.5 questioning if they can move up to tween group (especially when they have friends/family with kids age 11 or so that they want to be with. In the past they would have been- as you described- but now they won't)
It solved the problem of having young 13yr olds in the teen group with up to 18yr olds, but I guess in some cases created a new problem for almost 11yr olds.

Poor DCL--it seems that on this one they will make someone unhappy no matter what they do.
I would like to see them go back to seperating out teh Club/Lab but also see them add in a bit of flexibilty by setting up the ages as follows:
Club 3-8 (with smaller splits within that of 3-5 and 6-8 for many acitivities)
Lab 8-11
Quest/Edge 11-14
Stack 14-18
Out and About 8-15

THEN I think parents chould be told that the cruise line realizes they know their kids best and know whether their children would do better tilting up or down if they are on a "dividing age" and may therefore choose which group the kids "on the line" go in but that they have to choose one and stick with it (other than "out and about" being one people can go in and out of as they please). Out and About gives a great option for people travelling together who are not in teh same age groupings to spend time together (as well as just time at family activties, hanging by the pool, etc.).
True, but many are already dealing with that now in school. We have ever since DD started school. She is in class now with 11 & 12 yos and that is the age group she is use to. She is the youngest in her class at 10 1/2 and does well. Also, I know from experience that she does not like going to the lab. After 6 cruises she has been consistent with that and since we were not traveling with friends this time she had no one to "endure" two hours in the lab with while we went to Palo. We ended up cancelling Palo because DS wanted to do an activity in the Edge at that time and I didn't feel like having DD be stuck in the room while we were enjoying dinner.
If she has never liked the programming in 6 cruises, I am curious as to why you think she will like the Quest/edge programming any better:confused3 My daughter (also by far the youngest in her grade) has not like the programming on DCL at the club. lab or quest level. It is just not her thing at all (she liked the programming on Princess when she was younger--we haven't sailed the mrecently to know how she feels about it as a teen). DD likes the family activities and loves the ship--but teh kids' programming does not do it for her at any level (DS, on teh other hand, lives for it--though I admit he is thrilled to have aged out of the lab ebcuase he is sick of making flubber:lmao:).
FWIW: when we dine at Palo our kids always go to the main dinin room without us (we always ask the waitstaff about it ahead of time and it has always been okay). They enjoy the dinners and do jsut fine. Afterwards they usually go to the family activity happening in Studio Sea that night and we catch up with them there. On our cruise in May they even each invited a freind they hadmade onboard to join them for dinner (again with the waitstaff's blessing--aslo with the friends' parents' blessings)--then those friends invited them to dine at their table the night THEIR parents went to Palo.

Poor DCL--it seems that on this one they will make someone unhappy no matter what they do.
I would like to see them go back to seperating out teh Club/Lab but also see them add in a bit of flexibilty by setting up the ages as follows:
Club 3-8 (with smaller splits within that of 3-5 and 6-8 for many acitivities)
Lab 8-11
Quest/Edge 11-14
Stack 14-18
Out and About 8-15

THEN I think parents chould be told that the cruise line realizes they know their kids best and know whether their children would do better tilting up or down if they are on a "dividing age" and may therefore choose which group the kids "on the line" go in but that they have to choose one and stick with it (other than "out and about" being one people can go in and out of as they please). Out and About gives a great option for people travelling together who are not in teh same age groupings to spend time together (as well as just time at family activties, hanging by the pool, etc.).

that's an interesting suggestion -and one that just might work! LOL I mean it does seem that it's always the "just too young" or "just too old" for a certain group that seems to cause issues for so many people. that one "transition" year where they aren't forced into one or the other, but instead pick which one they want, would probably work a lot better than what they've done so far.... in my opinion.
Ofcourse even with it like you suggested- there would probably still be some people pushing it even further- for instance then asking if their 10yr old (meaning not even that close to 11 in some cases) could possibly go to Edge, etc.
I especially like the top age of Edge/same as bottom age for teen stack. That would solve a lot of issues in the age that in my opinion can cause the most problems.... because there can be such a vast difference in maturity (physically, mentally, socially, etc.) in just that one year. Depends on the kid and it can vary a lot.... not all 14yr olds are ready to be thrown amongst teens up to 18 with little supervision (very little in my opinion)
If she has never liked the programming in 6 cruises, I am curious as to why you think she will like the Quest/edge programming any better:confused3 My daughter (also by far the youngest in her grade) has not like the programming on DCL at the club. lab or quest level. It is just not her thing at all (she liked the programming on Princess when she was younger--we haven't sailed the mrecently to know how she feels about it as a teen). DD likes the family activities and loves the ship--but teh kids' programming does not do it for her at any level (DS, on teh other hand, lives for it--though I admit he is thrilled to have aged out of the lab ebcuase he is sick of making flubber:lmao:).
FWIW: when we dine at Palo our kids always go to the main dinin room without us (we always ask the waitstaff about it ahead of time and it has always been okay). They enjoy the dinners and do jsut fine. Afterwards they usually go to the family activity happening in Studio Sea that night and we catch up with them there. On our cruise in May they even each invited a freind they hadmade onboard to join them for dinner (again with the waitstaff's blessing--aslo with the friends' parents' blessings)--then those friends invited them to dine at their table the night THEIR parents went to Palo.
It might not be very likely- but it could happen. I know my son was never fond of lab but loved oceanquest. Kids are all different- nowhere near the same. LOL My oldest was 12 in lab and LOVED it.. and never got to experience oceanquest/tween group (next time we cruised she was barely 14 and up in stack she went) No clue whether she would have liked OQ or not.

Going to the dining room without parents isn't always feasible- especially when very young.. which up to 6yrs ago she definitely was. (6-7yrs old go to dining room alone? Um even the most seasoned Disney cruiser at age 6 is probably not ready for that or at least the parents wouldn't be. They want her to be supervised while they are in Palo when their child is young) That's really only feasible if they are the age (and experienced on the ship) that they'd let their child roam freely on the ship anyway. (which for many is the age of oceanquest/Edge anyway- so it doesn't relate in some cases to 10 and under which would be in the lab. :confused3 I don't speak for everyone on that though. I just know our first cruise we were convinced she'd love it- and she didn't love it quite as much as we'd thought.. actually not nearly as much. LOL But we still made her go when we went to Palo, she was far too young to even be allowed to check herself out let alone go to dinner alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter