• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TV Myths

These are not really myths but tropes.

http://tvtropes.org/

In elementary school books were kept in desks in your home room and coats on hook. Our high school during my time was brand new and didn't have walls between the classrooms. So no walls for lockers in the hall ways. The lockers were grouped together at the front of the building.

They remodeled and added walls so lockers moved to the hall ways and that area was used for more class rooms or other meeting space.

Didn't have school buses either, we walked both ways uphill.

Grief *** with someone other than your spouse or partner always has me rolling my eyes. Having *** is one of the last things I'd be interested in doing if I were grieving.
I agree. Grief sex is ridiculous.

One I always notice-

When using the phone, someone always answers on the first ring and its ALWAYS the person they were wanting to speak to.

Also, no one ever has to go to the bathroom, certainly no one ever has to make an emergency run for the bathroom lol

I'm a mom of 6, and I have never yet gone into labor in an elevator, much less a stalled elevator.

When you're in college, there isn't a bell dismissing classes like you frequently see on TV. I have to wonder if no one on the set has actually set foot in a university sometimes.

In real life, people close the front door when they enter a house and actually eat their meals. It always bothers me that they leave the doors open on TV and just take a bite of their meals and then leave. I know it's so that you don't have to listen to the door close and because watching people eat is boring, but it still bugs me.

I always giggle a little at any of the crime shows where super-hi-tech-genius-forensics-medical-etc.-laboratory can run all these fancy tests in like 2 seconds. DNA matching is an amazing tool for law enforcement, but it still takes a while to run the test and then longer to get any kind of match (or be sure that there isn't one in "the system"). I know they're just moving the plot along, but in reality most of the time the ME's gonna tell the cops that it's gonna be a few days (or longer)...especially in a place like NYC where the back-log is probably staggering!

My Father and I always get a kick out of things that always occur in TV shows, but never actually happen in real life. We call them "TV myths"

Today, we were talking about that overused storyline where someone's kid drives the car through a garage and into the kitchen. Lol! Who does that?! And it happens on any TV sitcom. Lol.

What's some TV myths you all can think of?

We were JUST walking through our neighborhood the other day, and saw that someone had driven a car through the garage of a neighbor of ours. I know they have teenage children the same age as ours. I doubt a parent drove through the garage, but who knows? LOL. It DOES happen.

Not quite a myth, but on practically every TV program, if they show the exterior of the house, there's NO WAY the actual floor plan of the interior matches it.

HA, I was just thinking about this last night. It came about while I was randomly thinking about how kitchens in sitcoms tend to be incredibly large, most notably the Full House kitchen. Then it got me to thinking how that whole house seemed pretty huge, plus a garage and attic that were able to be converted into respectable "apartment" sized spaces. And don't get me started on DJ and Stephanie's big bedroom. Then looking at the 'exterior shot' of the house on a compact San Francisco street, there's no way it was the same house!

When we got our first house a little over a year ago my husband said now don't drive in to the garage.... I don't think I'm that bad of a driver....hasnt happened yet hopefully it won't ever happen....

24 always killed me... He doesn't pee, no one does.... If it's taking place in real time someone must need to go to the bathroom?!?! Most shows people don't go to the bathroom but this one always really bothered me

High schoolers out at nightclubs every night of the week. Yeah, there are no under-21 clubs anywhere near here, nor any under-18 clubs in this state or any that surround it.

People on TV never say goodbye when they end a phone call. Watch for it. People on TV never watch TV unless there happens to be "breaking news ".

People on TV never say goodbye when they end a phone call. Watch for it. People on TV never watch TV unless there happens to be "breaking news ".
Lol, you got a point with the TV thing. Never noticed until you mentioned it

Anyone else think it's odd that the guys on Big Bang Theory still have landlines?

In cop dramas, the hero cop in the weekly chase scene leaps across the hood of a car. Even when it would be faster to run around the front of the car.

A family spends Thanksgiving at the hospital cafeteria with a loved one and they have lighted candles at the table.

I've gone Christmas caroling, and carolers have come here.

When our son was a teenage driver with a permit, he drove my new mini van through the wall separating the garage from the house. That was several years ago and he's still a lousy driver.

When we got our first house a little over a year ago my husband said now don't drive in to the garage.... I don't think I'm that bad of a driver....hasnt happened yet hopefully it won't ever happen....

I'm the world's worst driver in reverse. I cannot back up to save my life. I've backed into the corner of the garage while trying to back out of the garage. If there had been a room on the other side, I would have been in it.

I'm the world's worst driver in reverse. I cannot back up to save my life. I've backed into the corner of the garage while trying to back out of the garage. If there had been a room on the other side, I would have been in it.
Lol, I'm the same way. Thankfully our car now has a thing where it beeps if I'm getting clsoe to backing up into something. What a lifesaver lol

My Father and I always get a kick out of things that always occur in TV shows, but never actually happen in real life. We call them "TV myths"

Today, we were talking about that overused storyline where someone's kid drives the car through a garage and into the kitchen. Lol! Who does that?! And it happens on any TV sitcom. Lol.

What's some TV myths you all can think of?

It is not just kids, I have an acquaintance who did this as an adult. Did some real damage to her house...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter