TV Myths

LOL, this one bugs me from watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix. Maybe I'm clueless and lived a sheltered life, but I have never heard of teen nightclubs like "The Bronze" that are just like regular nightclubs but without alcohol. Maybe they really do exist, I don't know. But it's a new one on me. And I was even the same age as Buffy in that same era (mid-late 90s). Never mind the fact that they seem to be allowed to hang out there every night.

We had them where I'm from in the early 80's. We used to go out dancing to teen clubs. No bands just dj's and they had pop. It was a lot of fun. My kids don't have anything like this. Heck even in college there are no places for my dd19 to go out dancing. There are only bars and you have to be 21. Back when I was a kid we were able to drink low alcohol beer (3/2 beer?) at 18 so we could get into bars. I was never a beer drinker but we had a lot of fun on the dance floor.

Heck even in college there are no places for my dd19 to go out dancing. There are only bars and you have to be 21.

Well, you don’t have to be 21……

I always wished we had the Peach Pit from 90210!

How about female detectives that wear super high heal and are able to chase down a perp and catch them? It always bugged me that they family would eat breakfast and never brush their teeth before leaving. And it is always bright and sunny while they are eating breakfast. And you can always tell there isn't anything in their suitcases/bags/purses.

Don't forget the police women with the perfectly coiffed salon hair!

HA, I was just thinking about this last night. It came about while I was randomly thinking about how kitchens in sitcoms tend to be incredibly large, most notably the Full House kitchen. Then it got me to thinking how that whole house seemed pretty huge, plus a garage and attic that were able to be converted into respectable "apartment" sized spaces. And don't get me started on DJ and Stephanie's big bedroom. Then looking at the 'exterior shot' of the house on a compact San Francisco street, there's no way it was the same house!

In our house we always comment about the fact that so many sitcom homes have a back staircase that leads to the kitchen (like Full House, Cosby Show). I know that some houses have that, but I've never seen one in real life.

LOL, this one bugs me from watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix. Maybe I'm clueless and lived a sheltered life, but I have never heard of teen nightclubs like "The Bronze" that are just like regular nightclubs but without alcohol. Maybe they really do exist, I don't know. But it's a new one on me. And I was even the same age as Buffy in that same era (mid-late 90s). Never mind the fact that they seem to be allowed to hang out there every night.

I grew up in the 80s (Class of '85!) and we had several of these kinds of nightclubs...they called them "juice bars"

My Father and I always get a kick out of things that always occur in TV shows, but never actually happen in real life. We call them "TV myths"

Today, we were talking about that overused storyline where someone's kid drives the car through a garage and into the kitchen. Lol! Who does that?! And it happens on any TV sitcom. Lol.

What's some TV myths you all can think of?

One more....hospital rooms. Every time a patient is in a hospital room (old shows, new shows, it doesn't matter) they are always in a private room in the hospital, and the room is always HUGE. The only time I've ever visited someone in a private room in the hospital is in the maternity ward and ICU. And those rooms weren't huge, and they never had art hanging on the wall and all the posh furnishings that you commonly see on tv shows.

In our house we always comment about the fact that so many sitcom homes have a back staircase that leads to the kitchen (like Full House, Cosby Show). I know that some houses have that, but I've never seen one in real life.

You mean some houses DON'T have a back staircase for the servants and kids???? Shocking!!! ;)

My grandparents' house had a back staircase and I thought it was the coolest thing. It was a dark, narrow, and winding and totally unnecessary. I suppose it WAS the servant's staircase when the house was built.

Mentioning the locker thing is funny, because being from the east coast we were always amazed by TV shows or movies that took place in California where they had their lockers on an outside corridor. We just thought that was so cool and that everyone headed to the beach to surf after school every single day!

I was just thinking this! I always thought it would suck if it were pouring rain, but I guess being in Cali that probably isn't happening (especially now :sad1:).

Don't forget the police women with the perfectly coiffed salon hair!

That's not so odd. I heard that at one time the Tokyo Police had female officers doing foot patrols in the fashionable Ginza shopping district. They were forced to be "fashionable" to the point where they wore stiletto heels. Apparently the officers thought it was the most ridiculous, sexist thing they'd ever heard of and complained about having to dress as such.

How about when neighbors and various family members just show up and walk into the house. No one ever locks their doors.

Or when the woman in labor is wheeled through the hospital yelling at everyone.

How about when neighbors and various family members just show up and walk into the house. No one ever locks their doors.

Thirtysomething. Their friends always just popped by first thing in the morning for coffee. Of course, Hope, being Hope, would then offer them breakfast.

Last edited:
What TV show didn't eventually have a cast member laid up at the hospital? As PP wrote, it was always a huge private room and a nurse or MD was always stopping in. Ha! The TV show hospital patient had no IVs, no oxygen tube up the nose, no bed pan or catheter, no obnoxious beeping machines that nurses ignored for hours, no intubation, no swelling, just a little cut with a band-aid.

It amazed me that lady patients had on make-up, lipstick and perfectly coiffed hair. The men patients wore their slippers from home and usually had on a nice bathrobe, over attractive PJs. Lots of TV show patients were in a hospital bed for a week with conditions such as child birth or broken arm or leg. Yeah, I'd like to see you even admitted with a simple leg or arm break. Normal childbirth in reality: in -- out -- and gone.

Just because you've never experienced something doesn't make it a myth. It makes it something you've never experienced.

I'm so sorry. I didn't realize that a figure of speech would get lost on you. I don't mean "myth" as in Zeus, Hades, etc. We use "myth" as a figure of speech to express something that does not happen very often or that we do not see, personally.

Glad to clear it up for you :)

EDIT: I also said "we always thought". I thought that made it once again clear that I was not denying their existence. Lol. It's alright, no harm no foul ;)

I was correcting your misuse of the word. Glad I could clear it up for you.

What days are you free? Please. I'd like you to come over my house and correct all of the slang we use as a family :)

Please, you're blocking the way of these entertaining TV myths!!

:duck:

Shots fired! LOL ;)

One more....hospital rooms. Every time a patient is in a hospital room (old shows, new shows, it doesn't matter) they are always in a private room in the hospital, and the room is always HUGE. The only time I've ever visited someone in a private room in the hospital is in the maternity ward and ICU. And those rooms weren't huge, and they never had art hanging on the wall and all the posh furnishings that you commonly see on tv shows.

Interesting! The only hospitals that I have ever visited have had all private rooms. Maternity, Emergency Room, admitted rooms, etc. were all private and not shared. The rooms are all a fairly decent size. It would be really weird for me to be in a hospital with a shared room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter