• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Tux Rental for Prom

Don't feel bad, my son used Men's Warehouse too :)
$140 out the door with the $40 off coupon.

This is gonna be an expensive weekend. Big group is going to Sequoia in Georgetown for dinner first. But hey, Senior Prom only comes once

Around here, people can pay 140 - 200 to rent a Tux.

For senior prom, we bought tuxes for both the boys since they are musicians and would need them for music ensembles in college. I just got a tux recently for 50% off at JC Penney's plus using an extra 20% off coupon. I was out the door for $145, with the pants, jacket, ruffled shirt, cummerbund, and bow tie. I am THRILLED. We didn't get a vest since he won't need it for concerts and we don't know what color his date's dress is yet. (His prom isn't until June) I've been watching sales for a while since I knew the drill from shopping for his older brother.

Prior to that, my kids wore a dark suit to all the dances. Then all we had to do was a new tie to match their date. Other kids rented tuxes and spent about what we spent on the suits that they've worn over and over.

Don't feel bad, my son used Men's Warehouse too :)
$140 out the door with the $40 off coupon.

This is gonna be an expensive weekend. Big group is going to Sequoia in Georgetown for dinner first. But hey, Senior Prom only comes once

Don't schools do proms in the gym or local hotels anymore?? ;) My DS's prom (it is Jr/Sr combined) is on a NYC cruise on the Hudson River. While that is a really cool place to have prom, it is also not cheap. $130 a ticket. It does include dinner, but since DS isn't working right now, I paid for his ticket. My DH and I don't even spend that much when we go out! :rolleyes1 And since DS has a steady girlfriend, we thought it would be the right thing for him to pay for her ticket too- but she said no. She said she would pay for his if he would pay for hers. :goodvibes

My son is a sophomore but is going with his girlfriend to her junior prom on May 11.

We just rented his tux last week. It cost us $84.50 out the door. Pants, jacket, shirt, vest, regular tie and shoes. We could have driven about an hour away to the mall and spent well over $100 OR I found out that a local dry cleaner rents tuxes. So needless to say, I went with the dry cleaner.

Don't schools do proms in the gym or local hotels anymore?? ;) My DS's prom (it is Jr/Sr combined) is on a NYC cruise on the Hudson River. While that is a really cool place to have prom, it is also not cheap. $130 a ticket. It does include dinner, but since DS isn't working right now, I paid for his ticket. My DH and I don't even spend that much when we go out! :rolleyes1 And since DS has a steady girlfriend, we thought it would be the right thing for him to pay for her ticket too- but she said no. She said she would pay for his if he would pay for hers. :goodvibes

Our school does their prom in the school commons. Tickets are still $40 per person and I am still trying to figure out what they did with all that money. There was the DJ and croc pot food the teachers put together in the morning at the school on a long table the kids serve themselves from. The tables have simple plastic table clothes no other decorations. McDonalds donates the plates and cups. They get 2 liters of Aldi's soda. Most of the stores donate the food too. The kids clean up after themselves and take down the tables to dance.

Don't schools do proms in the gym or local hotels anymore?? ;)

I graduated in 1981 and my Prom was at The Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC (I lived in a suburb about 20 miles outside of DC). Since I lived in a town that had NOTHING, we drove to Virginia for dinner, and then over to DC for Prom. Oh, it was "the prom" back then.:rotfl:

My son's Prom in its entirety is being held at the Quantico Marine Base Officer's Club so the $100 includes dinner and the dance. I can't really complain about that!

My son is a sophomore but is going with his girlfriend to her junior prom on May 11.

We just rented his tux last week. It cost us $84.50 out the door. Pants, jacket, shirt, vest, regular tie and shoes. We could have driven about an hour away to the mall and spent well over $100 OR I found out that a local dry cleaner rents tuxes. So needless to say, I went with the dry cleaner.

When I was in high school, my part time job was working at a dry cleaners. And we rented tuxedos!! I looked around my area for that and no one does it anymore. I was poking around the internet last night to see where else I could have gone and it looks like Jos. A. Banks does it; however, their introductory price, just for the tux, was $69. Men's Warehouse has $59, so I don't think I was going to do better than the awful price I got. I think I'm just a victim of a high cost of living area!!! No mom and pop outlets at all.

I graduated in 1989 and our senior prom was down at the Marina. Beautiful outside prom.

My son's girlfriend's junior prom is going to be at our Town Hall. I'll have to ask him how much the tickets are though, never thought to ask.

Last year, men's warehouse, with the coupon, under $100 for all of it. Thankfully, he wanted simple classic no fancy anything no vest simple black bow tie. He looked adorable and it took all of 15 minutes.

His date wore a gold dress. They looked so good together. Too bad she turned out to be a train wreck. Or, actually my son may have been the train wreck in that relationship.

We have a Formalwear Outlet right down the street and it cost us $100 to BUY my son's tux two years ago. Shoes were $15. He has worn it a few times and we figured a basic tux was a good investment.

Not prom, but my husband rented from Men's Wearhouse for our wedding. The tux we liked was $175 plus tax and they showed us a comparable one without the big name brand for $75 plus tax. Much easier to work with.

DS went to his Senior Prom a few weeks ago. He will be buying a tux for Concert Band in college next year, but they weren't ready to tell us exactly what to buy, so we rented. He has a nice suit, but Seniors generally wear tuxes. He looked great!

We rented from Stage department store. Went up one step from the cheapest. Tux, shirt, tie, vest, was $100, after $10 off coupon. He has nice church shoes, that looked fine with it.

Prom was in the basketball gym at the school. Tickets were $15, no food included. After Prom was $5, but he and girl friend only stayed for a few minutes. With dinner, corsage, tickets for both of them, tux rental, etc...he paid about $220. Not bad, in my opinion!

I graduated in 1981 and my Prom was at The Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC (I lived in a suburb about 20 miles outside of DC). Since I lived in a town that had NOTHING, we drove to Virginia for dinner, and then over to DC for Prom. Oh, it was "the prom" back then.:rotfl:

My son's Prom in its entirety is being held at the Quantico Marine Base Officer's Club so the $100 includes dinner and the dance. I can't really complain about that!

It's still "the prom" here. LOL
Our prom (1989..and there was only one prom, when you were a senior, there were other dances throughout the school years, but THE PROM was at the end of your senior year) was held at a very nice place where one would hold a wedding. And it was just like a wedding, sans alcohol.
Cocktail hour, dinner(sit down, not buffet) and of course dancing.
It was free, as was the yearbook, because of fundraising we had done throughout high school.
i think most proms around here are held in a hotel ballroom/wedding type venue.

Wow, I didn't realize Tux rentals were so high! I always had a friend as my date, instead of a guy. Our dresses were cheaper to buy than it appears to rent a tux!

Speaking of location, my prom was 2 hours away in Chicago, on a river cruise. It included dinner, and an open bar of pop drinks. Tickets were $20 for students, and $40 for non students. Also included was motor-coach transportation.

Just returned from Men's Wearhouse with DS16. He will be going to back to back proms this Friday and Saturday night. He wanted the basic black tux with pleated wing tip collar shirt, black bow tie and black cummerbund. He did not rent shoes (he has them as part of his military school uniform) or studs (DH has them for his own tuxedo).

Total with a $40 off prom coupon, plus a $20 rush fee (didn't know about this!) was $82.90 out the door. I thought is was very reasonable!

Okay, as I suspected, I paid too much. I got $10.00 off this "already discounted price." According to the receipt:

Vera Wang Slim Fit 38R extra long sleeve - $159.99
31R OS 41.5 $10.00 (Pants I think!)
Shirt - $5.00
Vest - $20.00
Tie - 2.50
Something else - $2.50
Shoes - $20.00

I rented this a Mens Warehouse which is just a big chain that sells menwear (suits mainly) and they have a tux rental section. The only other place close by was a bridal store.

DS rented his tux from MW. We used a $40 off coupon that we received in the mail and that brought the rental down to $145 from $175 (there is a damage and handling fee of $8). DS is tall and very thin; to buy him a new suit or tux wouldn't be wise at this point.

Ok, I just looked at the receipt and there are 9 lines with prices, but it doesn't specify what each is for. The prices that you listed in your post are identical, which the exception of the jacket (I think that was it's for), to ours. There is also something else that cost $9.99.:confused3

So, how much did it cost you to rent a Prom Tux (recently)? I don't know what I thought it was going to cost, but it definitely kind of surprised me. I'm thinking now that I should have asked to price out different styles, although my son is hard to fit.

What did you pay (approximately) for Tux, shirt, tie, vest, shoes?

$240 after a $40 coupon. (Men's Warehouse)

Rented on Thursday for prom on the 26th.

Tux, shirt, bow tie, vest, shoes and jewelry (cuff links, button covers, etc).

never mind. Just noticed this was a zombie thread. Prices at Men's Warehouse sure have gone up in a year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter