TSA pulled my 6 year old for additional screening

This happened to my youngest the last 2 times while leaving from Orlando airport. He was 15 and then 16.

On one of these occasions, he was swabbed for explosives and his hands tested positive for some substance. He was then taken to another room (I insisted on accompanying) and given a pat down. His backpack was opened and everything was examined. They flipped through his newly purchased books and opened every zipper and box.

The major problem was the way it was handled. The officers were very abrupt and scary. They did not take any care with his newly purchased items. Their lack of respect really bothered him.

I can't imagine having a younger child searched in this manner.

I did ask why his hands would test positive and they didn't have an answer.

OP, I don't know if this might help you in the future or not. I've not used the service myself, but have friends who have and said it was fantastic. Call the number before your flight and they should be able to assist you with security procedures. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/travelers-disabilities-and-medical-conditions

My youngest daughter has a pacemaker (implanted when she was four-days old). She's flown five times since birth (she'll be three in March). Because she can't go through the metal detector or get wanded, she gets the pat down. The first few times, I was the one actually patted down. Then I held her up so she could be inspected from all sides (first time she was three-months old and might have weighed ten pounds because she was - and still is - small for her age). The TSA agents I've dealt with have always been very considerate. I'm not discounting reports by others, just relating my experience. Maybe they just have sympathy for a little girl having a pacemaker (at least once, the screener was confused and thought I had the pacemaker). The last trip, she got the pat down on her own and she was fine with it, but who knows what might happen if she starts reacting badly to strangers.

Also on our last flight, we nearly missed the plane because it took forever for them to find a supervisor (can't pat down a child under 12 without approval). For our next trip, I'll try calling the TSA number and see what can be done to help with the process. At the very least, I'm hoping they can have a supervisor close at hand so we don't have to stress missing our plane.

Oh, and our whole family got swabbed the last trip through Orlando. I was waiting back with the toddler for the pat down and my husband went ahead with the other kids. They were all called back to get their hands swabbed. While not a big deal, I was tempted to comment that I'm a mother of four and have a full-time job. If they can find time in my schedule for me to become a criminal mastermind, I'd like to know when it is so I can clean my house or fold some more laundry.

They don't know where he has been or what he has touched.

DH tested positive on his shoes. He had been in Mexico City and his hotel was next to a park. He would take walks there. There's a chemical in fertilizer that is one of the things they test for, so we figure that's where he picked it up. And his had a were positive because, of course, he handled his shoes.

Exactly why I question how come kids don't have to remove their shoes.
Do people really think a terrorist wouldn't put so etching in a kids shoes to get by.
Most security measures are bs feel good things over true security.
You seriously started up a 2 month old thread for that?

OP, I don't know if this might help you in the future or not. I've not used the service myself, but have friends who have and said it was fantastic. Call the number before your flight and they should be able to assist you with security procedures. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/travelers-disabilities-and-medical-conditions

My youngest daughter has a pacemaker (implanted when she was four-days old). She's flown five times since birth (she'll be three in March). Because she can't go through the metal detector or get wanded, she gets the pat down. The first few times, I was the one actually patted down. Then I held her up so she could be inspected from all sides (first time she was three-months old and might have weighed ten pounds because she was - and still is - small for her age). The TSA agents I've dealt with have always been very considerate. I'm not discounting reports by others, just relating my experience. Maybe they just have sympathy for a little girl having a pacemaker (at least once, the screener was confused and thought I had the pacemaker). The last trip, she got the pat down on her own and she was fine with it, but who knows what might happen if she starts reacting badly to strangers.

Also on our last flight, we nearly missed the plane because it took forever for them to find a supervisor (can't pat down a child under 12 without approval). For our next trip, I'll try calling the TSA number and see what can be done to help with the process. At the very least, I'm hoping they can have a supervisor close at hand so we don't have to stress missing our plane.

Oh, and our whole family got swabbed the last trip through Orlando. I was waiting back with the toddler for the pat down and my husband went ahead with the other kids. They were all called back to get their hands swabbed. While not a big deal, I was tempted to comment that I'm a mother of four and have a full-time job. If they can find time in my schedule for me to become a criminal mastermind, I'd like to know when it is so I can clean my house or fold some more laundry.
You have to realize that the vast majority of the time, swabs are done on an every 15th person (or some number). No one thought you looked like a terrorist! I've been patted down, swabbed, whatever. No big deal. This is why I always get to the airport 2 hrs prior to departure. It has never, ever taken me more than an hour to get through security. That then leaves me at least 30 mins at the gate before boarding.

I never thought they believed we were terrorists. But it wasn't until I was asked where the rest of my party was that my husband and other kids were told to come back and get swabbed. They had already been cleared and were waiting for us to get the pat down. It seemed weird more than anything else. We also get to the airport two hours before the flight leaves when leaving Orlando. An hour used to be fine from our local airport, which is very small and only has about ten gates. But last trip was pretty much a mess. So we'll call the TSA line and get to the airport earlier.

You seriously started up a 2 month old thread for that?.....

:thumbsup2

To the person who posted this:

As posted, you were just randomly selected. As long as the TSA is following proper procedure, just do what they ask and move on. Making such comments doesn't help.

Not sure why I'm even arguing this, but we weren't randomly selected. My daughter has to get patted down because she has a pacemaker. The rest of my family was cleared and waiting outside security. They were asked to come back and get their hands swabbed after I identified them as being with us.

And it was a joke. I've never said such things and never would because that would likely end our trip sooner than anticipated.

My dd was pulled from me while wearing a cast. They took her before I could get through the scanner. I was freaking out but she was perfectly calm. They had to swab her also. They said people will use children and everything else to smuggle things. Foreign thinking to us - but we live in a crazy world

Not sure why I'm even arguing this, but we weren't randomly selected. My daughter has to get patted down because she has a pacemaker. The rest of my family was cleared and waiting outside security. They were asked to come back and get their hands swabbed after I identified them as being with us.

And it was a joke. I've never said such things and never would because that would likely end our trip sooner than anticipated.

I'm sure everyone knew it was a joke. No worries.
Security would be so much easier if there was consistency. Case in point.....dd wears contact lenses. When she flies, she leaves her cleaning solution out....it's a full sized bottle. She has been told 1. Nope, it can stay in your bag, 2. You have to have it out on its own. So, which is it? Some TSA people tell you to put laptops in a bin alone. Other times, you're told it can be with other stiff...your 3-1-1 Baggie. The flying population never knows which rules are in place. Consistency would be nice.
I can't imagine why you were told to return to get swabbed. What would have happened if you had left the security area, perhaps to take a child to the restroom? That was nutty!

Facts are wonderful things. Chertoff left that position after less than four years. He's been gone longer than he was there.

The current Secretary ("head") of the Department of Homeland Security hss a background in law.

Sorry for necromancing, but I would like to say that you are right, I meant the former head. He still has a vested interest in the scanners and played an integral role in their implementation.

I am with the people who understand that even children can be used as mules, terrorist accessories, etc. I mean, who would you use if you were a criminal and knew that kids under 10 aren't searched, or handicapped people aren't searched, or people over 70 aren't searched...yep, those people! It makes me a little afraid that they aren't making kids under a certain age take of their shoes anymore because I know that those are the people that will be taken advantage of for criminal acts.

However, I understand how upsetting this is that it was your son with autism. And you are right, they should have had you with him at all moments during the interaction, not only for his and your peace of mind, but for their protection (people can blame them for all sorts of things). But, now you know that you need to be vigilant about discussing this sort of situation with him in the future. Live and learn I guess, and it seems like no one was hurt and that the person who actually inspected him was really brief and took your comments into consideration.

I think it's terrible that people think this kind of heavy handed approach to security is tolerable and "normal". This is "security theater" designed to make it seem like they're actually doing something productive.

There are other countries where security agents are better trained and use different procedures. We should definitely speak up and complain whenever these things happen. It's the only way things will change for the better.

And in most of Europe they are not government employees either.

The bottom line is simply that the terrorist will use anyone and anything to smuggles a bomb or whatever on the plane. No theater about it. I am sorry, but everyone needs to be checked!. in my mind especially the children.

AKK

Maybe it is his name. My DS name is on the no fly list - NOT HIM - but someone else has his name. 1st time it happened, TSA sent us a note, and my DS was 9 in private elementary school with great grades.

TSA issued my DS a number and a letter to present to all airlines, so he can fly without a problem.

Issue will be resolved when the no-fly person with my DS name dies, not that I wish that upon anyone.

I assume the no-fly person with my DS name is now 50 years old.
So when my DS is 50, I think the issue will be moot.

This happened to my youngest the last 2 times while leaving from Orlando airport. He was 15 and then 16.

On one of these occasions, he was swabbed for explosives and his hands tested positive for some substance. He was then taken to another room (I insisted on accompanying) and given a pat down. His backpack was opened and everything was examined. They flipped through his newly purchased books and opened every zipper and box.

The major problem was the way it was handled. The officers were very abrupt and scary. They did not take any care with his newly purchased items. Their lack of respect really bothered him.

I can't imagine having a younger child searched in this manner.

Disney's fireworks.

I haven't read through the whole thread, so that may have been mentioned already. However, I got selected for the extra screening last year at MCO right after out Disney Fantasy cruise. My hands tested positive for explosives. I was pulled aside, had TSA supervisors go through all my stuff very slowly and very thoroughly. Then, I had to go into a private room for an "invasive" (their word) pat down. Fortunately, the TSA agent dealing we with me was extremely nice to me and my family (my kids were understandably very nervous and scared). Only after the pat down, going through all my stuff, and "clearing" me...the agent (who said he was a former explosives expert in the Air Force) explained that the residue from fireworks can get in your pores and trigger a positive screening - even up to couple of months later. So everyone may want to avoid standing down-wind from the spot wher the fireworks (on DCL, at WDW, or anywhere else) are launched.

Wow - fireworks?
I wonder it ti can be triggered by any cleaning fluids? Lysol? laundry detergent?

What about guests who work as a Nurse, Doctor, Police, Fireman?
Should guests carry a picture work ID with them?

Wow - fireworks?
I wonder it ti can be triggered by any cleaning fluids? Lysol? laundry detergent?

What about guests who work as a Nurse, Doctor, Police, Fireman?
Should guests carry a picture work ID with them?

It would be an interesting google to have on your computer...what chemicals cause a positive explosives test... :)

An ID won't make a difference. Just go, if you get to be swabbed, get swabbed, always give yourself extra time, it'll be OK.

:thumbsup2

To the person who posted this:

While not a big deal, I was tempted to comment that I'm a mother of four and have a full-time job. If they can find time in my schedule for me to become a criminal mastermind, I'd like to know when it is so I can clean my house or fold some more laundry.

That's the exact defense Heisenberg (Br Ba) used when they finally caught up with him. :duck:;)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter