Try this if you got sick on a cruise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DanniDuck31 said:
I never even implied anything about sueing in any way, shape, or form. Period! To say they should be compensated by the cruise ship, simply means they should take care of people in those types of cases. How that implies that a person should sue if they are not compensated is beyond me.
You are the only one to even imply that I said that, let alone say that I said it. But if that's what you felt that I meant, then so be it.

As far as proving that the ship knew a sick person was on board is totally something that I don't have to do. I am on their ship, it's not my responsibilty if they hold me at bay. They have to justify why they did it and compensate where need be.

If I am on the cruise with my little nephew and he hits his on the pool slide or bottom of the pool and gets injured, who do you think is going to pay for that??? Now do you think my brother would have to prove that Disney KNEW AHEAD OF TIME he was going to get hurt BECAUSE the slide is dangerous and the bottom of the pool was just a little too hard. No way!

You have to believe he would be compensated, even if my nephew or yours for that matter went down the slide backwards and was told not to. Let me enlighten you on this, Disney would take care of EVERYTHING. I or you would not have to prove they knew that this could happen, because they already know it can and things do happen. Just like people getting sick. But your on their property and you've paid to be there. They know people don't tell the truth and come on board sick when they say they're not.

But Mike, I guarantee you if they kept you in your room for at least 4 days, you would at least, minimum, want your 4 days back. How you could answer no to that is beyond me. They are responsible for those 4 days because they kept you quarantined, they controlled it!!!! You had no control and that's why you should be compensated. I don't know how else to explain it. I am really trying hard to explain this to get you to understand, but your not. You don't have to agree, that is far from my goal. Understand what I've said like I have done with you, and agree or disagree.

You know you would want to be compensated, so admit it. It has nothing to do with how much money the cruise line has. I said that more to mean that money is not an issue , it's just the right thing to do. It's not even about doing a pr move to say look we helped these people out. They can't say we'd like to compensate them, but we can't afford it. How's that? That's all I was saying is that they have money to do what's right.

Good Night and I hope there are no hard feelings, but your response leaves me no choice but to reciprocate.

Dan

You seem to want to reciprocate a lot, so I'll happily return the volley.

Don't ever assume you know what I want. That's the first thing.

If I was quarantined for four days in my cabin, no, I wouldn't go after Disney, and I'd take whatever my insurance gave me. And - surprise, surprise - there are a lot more people like me out there than you think.

And I'm FAR more understanding of your position than you think. I just happen to think you're wrong.

When you said "I never said sue" , I said ok, my bad. Now you're saying "I'm not even implying suing" , when clearly all I meant was, if that person sued, you'd support it. Whatever.

Now you seek to clarify your point down to the nth degree. At this rate I'll be here all night.

I'll let you have the last word because I feel I've made my point. I hope you enjoy the rest of your evening.

I never said that I knew everything legal, Miss Manhattan. You implied that I think I do. What qualifies you? Nobody once in this thread, not once, was challenged for their view except me, because they had the majority behind them. Did you ask anyone else why they felt the way they did and what THEY have to back it up. No, no one did.

I will definitely tell you what you want Mike, and you can deny it with every keystroke. You would want 100% satisfaction, but your not big enough to admit it. If the insurance did nothing, you would not accept the fact that you were forced to stay in room for 4 plus days and could not go out for any reason and accept it. I don't think so. Remember, this is a vacation and you paid for it.

My brothers being attorneys have nothing to do with it and neither does YOU working as a paralegal for an attorney in Manhattan, but you brought that up for what reason???? I brought it up because someone else did first. Your attorney friend is going to know no more or less than my brothers. No, I don't just get info from them at parties, you've got to be kidding!!!! They are my brothers and obviously I have been to their offices and had many a talks. I was funnin' saying that I see them at parties and yes certain topics come up, no different than in the offices (does it really matter what space on earth you discuss a subject?).

Mike has a chip on his shoulder because he can't just come up with any legitimate reason why he is absolutely right and I am absolutely wrong. We just don't agree and he had responded to my initial response and I responded back because he was twisting my words. Home Depot was a simply example to get you to think..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe this guy has something or maybe he's all wet............but he's making me think of the other person and what they went through???????? I explained a couple of cruise line situation also, but nobody responded to them. I just keep hearing Home Depot. Did ever occur to you that it's possible, just possible I am right.

I never even said take them to court. I just said that they should be compensated for being quarantined. I never even said they broke the law, did I? If you challenge me nicely, I will come back nicely. When you give me attitude, as Mike has, I give it back. I made a mistake in the beginning and apologized, look it up. Mike wants to knock down almost everything that I have said, now show me where I knocked what he said. I responded to everything he has said and that's called getting the last word.

If I didn't respond, he'd have something to say about that. When does it end??? Go ahead and tell me what your lawyer friend says. Have him e-mail me and him and one of my brothers can kindly compare notes. He hasn't worked in Manhattan, so I don't know if he's smart enough, but he just might be. Why doesn't a moderator join this and find out what happens in these situations?

An older couple went on a cruise and I personally felt bad for them because they were quarantined for 4 plus days. I felt they should have been compensated more than 2 days, excuseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I am glad they got a free trip, but that's not what we were discussing. It was because they went to media and complained. Maybe they saved for 5 years to go on that trip, who knows.

I am 6'3", 235 lb., 28 year old male who felt bad for them and that they could have been treated better and I gave my reasons. God made me big and strong and he gave me a BIG HEART that grows just as strong, if not stronger. Where's your heart????????????????????????????? Maybe 2 people have kindly responded without any sarcasm and I was kind back. Read the entire thread, I have. I think you will be suprised!

Dan

p.s. Mike, have a good night.

Hey,Maybe it is an island of headhunters or maybe even cannibals.. Its all in the way you prepare te meat!!!! :banana:

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!!!! Did that go over your heads? You have nothing intelligent to say so you've IMPLIED you are wrong, and then you come back with a 4th grade response!!! That is hilarious Mike! You should have just kept your computer off, you would have looked at least 1/2 smart at best. :rotfl: !

No real response to all that rhetoric, boy oh boy, not one person even has the ability to think (I'm not talking about you Mike, your obviously highly intelligent, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Come back with sarcasm and you get it right back!

Dan

Wow I just thought it was an interesting article, did not agree with it being blown up in the press or the free trip, but now I'm sorry I even posted. Everybody say sorry and make up!

Not your fault markey.

I think I can sum up the whole mess this way: Sure, you can sue for ANY reason.... but that doesn't mean you SHOULD.

What do people think trip insurance is for????

I also think it's a hoot to say a lawyer would tell you to sue....... duh!

DanniDuck31 said:
I never said that I knew everything legal, Miss Manhattan. You implied that I think I do. What qualifies you? Nobody once in this thread, not once, was challenged for their view except me, because they had the majority behind them. Did you ask anyone else why they felt the way they did and what THEY have to back it up. No, no one did.

My brothers being attorneys have nothing to do with it and neither does YOU working as a paralegal for an attorney in Manhattan, but you brought that up for what reason???? I brought it up because someone else did first. Your attorney friend is going to know no more or less than my brothers. No, I don't just get info from them at parties, you've got to be kidding!!!! They are my brothers and obviously I have been to their offices and had many a talks. I was funnin' saying that I see them at parties and yes certain topics come up, no different than in the offices (does it really matter what space on earth you discuss a subject?).

If I didn't respond, he'd have something to say about that. When does it end??? Go ahead and tell me what your lawyer friend says. Have him e-mail me and him and one of my brothers can kindly compare notes. He hasn't worked in Manhattan, so I don't know if he's smart enough, but he just might be. Why doesn't a moderator join this and find out what happens in these situations?

Dan

p.s. Mike, have a good night.

I never said that I was qualified to answer any legal, that was my point. My point if you read was even though I was a paralegal and was around lawyers just like you, I had not idea what was right or wrong. And you are wrong about my attorney friend knowing more or less than your brothers. There are different areas of expertise in the field. While you get a general idea of the law, if you specialize you have will more of a knowledge of that partiular area of law. A trust and estate attorney will not have as much knowledge about real estate law or divorce law, just the basics.
And as far as asking any of my friends who are lawyers to e mail you and your brother so you can compare notes, you've got to be kidding me. At $550 an hour I think he has much better things to do than get in the middle of the silly squabble!

I think it's a HOOT that nobody except Mike said anything about sueing. Read the thread. I said the cruiseline should compensate them if their insurance doesn't take care of it. That was once it was pointed out by a nice person that their insurance should cover it. Did you actually even read any of this????? Who said sueing, it wasn't Dan, not once. Who said to even get an attorney??? Show me the message where anyone said that they should get an attorney and sue. Just what thread are you looking at??? I said the no such thing. :cool1:

Dan

No really, I really thought your attorney friend could e-mail one of my brothers and they would waste their time on this thread. Thanks for clearing that up. What was I thinking?? You REALLY thought that that was going to happen? It was, I thought, an obvious way of saying your wasting your time talking to your attorney friend no different than if one of my brothers can on board and wasted their time ($551/hour) to try to get you people to open your minds. You didn't actually believe they were going to exchange e-mails did ya??????????????????

As far as different fields of law and having different knowledge, again thanks for pointing that out. I REALLY HAD NO IDEA UNTIL YOUR LAST POST. Seriously, thanks a lot, I feel intellectually enriched this morning. Lawyers have different knowledge in different areas, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That must me knew.

Obviously I am being sarcastic because you are stated the obvious! Any attorney worth anything could find out the answer to this in less than 24 hours. If it's not their area, they can find the crux of the subject very quickly. It takes a phone call at best. Sorry for my sarcastic responses Carolyn, but re-read your post and see if you weren't being sarcastic also. Your stating the obvious is not insulting, I actually feel sorry for you.
Good Day and let me know, once again where I said they should sue!!! I said they should have been compensated for what they went through and made some simple comparisons. Excuseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Dan

Calm down man... the last line about lawyers, I was refering to the Home Depot bit.

I just thought it was stating the obvious that a lawyer would tell you to sue.
That's like asking a realtor if you should buy a house or a car salesman should you buy a new car.

Maybe I'm from a different time and era, but I think our society has become one big sue happy one. It goes along with "lets tax the rich!".
Let's sue all those big companies with all that money! It's called the lawsuit lottery. And it's a real problem. Next time you think something costs too much, be it a Disney cruise or a can of beans, remember that all those lawyer costs are rolled into that price.

I disagree on the compensation on being quarantined, that is what trip insurance is for. I don't believe stupidity (or lack of finding out the rules and regulations) is a valid excuse to ask for compensation.

PS I too feel sorry for the couple that their trip was not what they planned.
I'm not heartless, I just have common sense. I know that "stuff" happens.
I didn't sue the idiot with no insurance that totaled my car and put me in emergency room with a bad knee. I had insurance, imagine that!!

I guess a lawyer would have had me sue that car maker, the airbag maker, and anybody but the broke fool who hit me.

DanniDuck31 said:
No really, I really thought your attorney friend could e-mail one of my brothers and they would waste their time on this thread. Thanks for clearing that up. What was I thinking?? You REALLY thought that that was going to happen? It was, I thought, an obvious way of saying your wasting your time talking to your attorney friend no different than if one of my brothers can on board and wasted their time ($551/hour) to try to get you people to open your minds. You didn't actually believe they were going to exchange e-mails did ya??????????????????

As far as different fields of law and having different knowledge, again thanks for pointing that out. I REALLY HAD NO IDEA UNTIL YOUR LAST POST. Seriously, thanks a lot, I feel intellectually enriched this morning. Lawyers have different knowledge in different areas, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That must me knew.

Obviously I am being sarcastic because you are stated the obvious! Any attorney worth anything could find out the answer to this in less than 24 hours. If it's not their area, they can find the crux of the subject very quickly. It takes a phone call at best. Sorry for my sarcastic responses Carolyn, but re-read your post and see if you weren't being sarcastic also. Your stating the obvious is not insulting, I actually feel sorry for you.
Good Day and let me know, once again where I said they should sue!!! I said they should have been compensated for what they went through and made some simple comparisons. Excuseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Dan

Thanks Dan, I feel so much better now that you feel sorry for me!

I don't think so. This are words being typed, you have no idea as to ones emotions from reading a post. If I missed quoted one of the many attacks on me, then I was wrong and I am sorry. Plain and simple. Why don't read the entire thread and see how many times I had sarcastic responses thrown at me, for simply saying someone should be compensated, IF their insurance didn't cover it (AGAIN, for the umpteenth time).

I didn't say you should have sued because of your knee, nor did I ever imply it. You brought it up as a comparison that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I'll give you one now.

I bit into a brownie from a Miss Fields in a mall. Inside the brownie was a piece of a metal tie that holds the bags of ingredients together, before they mix it up. I was about 20 years old at the time. When I bit into the brownie I cracked my lower back tooth in half (I swear to God). When I got the thing out of my mouth and brought it to the Miss Fields, what do you think happened? No, I didn't sue. I was told we are very sorry and to bring them the dental bill and that is exactly what happened. They gave me about 6 more brownies and paid my bill, period. I did not SUE them, nor did I ever once think about it. They compensated me for something that was their fault. The mananger immediately recognized the piece of metal and took care of the situation. Could I have went after them for pain and suffering, et...... you bet I could have. But I didn't.

My point, I am not sue happy and never brought it up, ever. Bring up your problems with the person who did. You people are brutal beyond belief!!! Did you see where I apologized twice, even to the person who was sacarstic with me. Who has said anything nice to me. Who has apologized for going overboard on me. Please point that post out. You've attacked me repeatly and I stood up for myself. Again, I ask, where's your heart?????????????????
Don't agree, but doing nicely and that's fine.

Dan

I am glad you feel better that I feel sorry for you. It is oh so important to me how you feel? I hope I can sleep tonight, knowing that I've made IMPORTANT YOU feel so much better!!! They have insecurity classes in college, you may want to check into that. You can dish it out, you should be able to take it.

I was quarantied for 48 hours on a 4 day Wonder cruise and my wife the same for 24 hours, though her quarantine was only for precautionary reasons. Disney enforced the quarantine by calling the cabin and dropping by to check on us. I totally understand the quarantine was a necessary precautionary measure, but Disney never presented me with any other option other than to stay in my room. Having a virus is bad enough but experiencing it on a cruise ship while confined to a small stateroom is really, really uncomfortable.

After I returned home, I wrote Disney a polite letter expressing my disappointment with the cruise. I missed Nassua and Castaway Cay. I didn't ask for nor did I expect compensation, but I felt it was fair to tell my story - especially since Guest Services onboard didn't really seem to care beyond the fact they wanted to know I was staying in my stateroom.

Disney's response? A voucher equal to the amount of my cruise fare and detailed instructions on how to file an insurance claim with an offer to send me necessary, supporting documentation if I needed copies.

Without the voucher, it's unlikely I would've cruised DCL again. But thanks to it, I tried a 7 day, loved it, and subsequently did another 7 day a couple months ago. In this case, their "investment" has been repaid several times over.

Sam

Dan, like you, I was being sarcastic, hence the exclamation point at the end! I have never had anyone tell me that they feel sorry for me~especially not a complete stranger so I thought I was being just slightly witty for responding this way. But, everyone has their own opinions on what's witty and what's not.

That is exactly what I was saying. They took care of you and they should have, because it's the right thing to do. NOT because what they did is illegal or because they can afford to. You should have been compensated and you were. God bless America and thank you Sam for your post! Sam took the time to write a letter and Disney did the right thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully no one will flame you Sam for writing (complaining as they would say) to Disney about your concerns. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

smchan said:
I was quarantied for 48 hours on a 4 day Wonder cruise and my wife the same for 24 hours, though her quarantine was only for precautionary reasons. Disney enforced the quarantine by calling the cabin and dropping by to check on us. I totally understand the quarantine was a necessary precautionary measure, but Disney never presented me with any other option other than to stay in my room. Having a virus is bad enough but experiencing it on a cruise ship while confined to a small stateroom is really, really uncomfortable.

After I returned home, I wrote Disney a polite letter expressing my disappointment with the cruise. I missed Nassua and Castaway Cay. I didn't ask for nor did I expect compensation, but I felt it was fair to tell my story - especially since Guest Services onboard didn't really seem to care beyond the fact they wanted to know I was staying in my stateroom.

Disney's response? A voucher equal to the amount of my cruise fare and detailed instructions on how to file an insurance claim with an offer to send me necessary, supporting documentation if I needed copies.

Without the voucher, it's unlikely I would've cruised DCL again. But thanks to it, I tried a 7 day, loved it, and subsequently did another 7 day a couple months ago. In this case, their "investment" has been repaid several times over.

Sam

Wow, you're lucky DCL gave you the voucher for the entire trip. Our friends got a voucher for a small percentage from Celebrity for their missed days. I guess it goes to show you that Disney sometimes does take care of their passengers better than other cruise lines! On top of Mark being confined to his stateroom on Celebrity, they wouldn't even serve him the food he requested through room service, only liquids! His partner got the same food even though he was in for precautionary reasons. Mark felt like he was being treated like a child by not being able to eat what he wanted! The only other option they gave him was to get off the ship in a strange country no less! Let's just say he hasn't used the small voucher that the cruise line gave him to cruise with them again. The worst part was, he never had the virus!
Glad you gave Disney another chance.

DanniDuck31 said:
If I am in Home Depot and a wacko starts swinging a hammer at an employee because he's angry about whatever......... he misses and hits me in the head, believe you me, Home Depot is responsible. They didn't ask customers at the door if they are in need of anger management courses as they entered and if they did, they would still be responsible if a customer said, oh I am an easy going guy who wouldn't dream of doing something insane, but then goes insane.....follow what I am saying.

Home Depot would be responsible for not providing you with a safe environment to shop in, believe it or not. Even if they questioned you as you came through the main entrance as to your mental capacity. Yes, I know they would not do this, I am just making a point. They have to provide you with a safe environment while you shop in their store on their property.

Pardon me for butting in, but I've read this most interesting thread and thought I could contribute. I am in fact an attorney, and the "answer" to the issue presented in the above scenario is, as lawyers like to say "it depends". As a general premise, Home Depot bears no liability for a non-employee who is in the store who swings a hammer and hits someone. This is in and of itself not a "reasonably foreseeable" action that Home Depot should be required to guard against.

However, there are many questions that a good attorney would begin to investigate to see if Home Depot could be brought into the liability equation. For example: in your scenario, the man is swinging the hammer at an employee -- did the employee take aggressive or unreasonable action to anger the man who swung the hammer? Did Home Depot staff react quickly enough to disarm a patron who was beginning to go out of control? Was the hammer that the man used part of a regular display of tools for sale, or was it just sitting out of place on a shelf in some other department? Did Home Depot have any previous knowledge of the aggressive customer to the extent that he should not have been monitored while on the premises? Does Home Depot instruct their staff in how to deal with unruly customers, and did they follow procedure in this case? There are dozens of other questions to ask about what actually occurred, and my guess is that, at least for settlement purposes, a good plaintiff's lawyer might be able to squeeze some money out of Home Depot to buy out the risk that a jury might apportion some percentage of the blame to Home Depot. And realistically speaking, Home Depot is the "deep pocket" defendant here. What I mean by that is that let's say this case were to go to a jury, which awarded the victim $5 million in damages, and found that the man swinging the hammer was 95% responsible for the victim's injury, and Home Depot 5%. Well, chances are the man who swung the hammer doesn't have the means to pay much in damages, so the victim would first look to collect the 5% from Home Depot -- there's a quick $250,000, because you know Home Depot has liability insurance.

Anyway, back to the cruise ship issue. Disney Cruise line has a very specific policy regarding cruisers who get sick, and, like every other cruise line, the small print in your ticket information makes it very clear that if you are sick, the Ship's master has the unquestioned right not only to quarantine you if necessary, but to refuse to allow you to travel, or even to require you to get off the ship at any port, so long as you are able to be quarantined there. You are entitled to no refund, and if you have to be quarantined somewhere, it is at your expense.

In other words, once you board a cruise ship, if the Captain decides you're sick and need to stay in your room or to be required to disembark, that's his right, and you're not entitled to a penny. Now, you could certainly challenge those decisions in Court, but you'd need to file in Disney's back yard in Brevard County (you also stipulated to that in the small print on your ticket), and in these days where "sick ship syndrome" makes the news all the time, my guess is that it would be hard to prove that the Captain overreacted in detaining your freedom to move about the ship if you were exhibiting any symptoms whatsoever, even if those symptoms ended up being associated with a noncontageous disease.

As has been stated by others, the only realistic way to guard against such events is to purchase trip insurance, which is available at a very reasonable cost these days compared to other types of coverage.

Now, if you're asking a moral question: "what would be the right thing to do if Disney unfairly quarantined you in your room", my answer would be different than to the question of what Disney's legal responsibilities were. As we all know, what's right and what's legal sometimes don't coincide.

All that being said, I congratulate Danni's brothers for commanding such an impressive hourly fee. Mine is less than half of theirs, but then again, I earn a good enough living that I can spend a little time on an internet board during the day to comment in threads that interest me. :)

Have a great day, everyone, and definitely buy the trip insurance and pack the zinc tablets.

For too many reasons, this one is getting locked.

Let me remind you of the guidelines that you agreed to when registering on this site.

If you have a problem in the future, use the "Report This Post" option.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!