Try this if you got sick on a cruise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Complain to a local media outlet, hope to get a freebee from some tourism board somewhere because I happen to get sick? No Thanks.

Well it is nice that they get a "free" trip to an island, but I totally disagree with them trying to stop the payment for the cruise. They got sick, should Princess have let them infect everyone else. I also find it hard to believe that room service "couldn't keep up" with 85 cabins. That is a huge ship and on any given night I bet there are a lot more than 85 cabins ordering dinner. If they had flown to their destination and become so sick they had to stay in their hotel room for the entire time, who would they want to blame then?

Just so I don't get flamed, I do not agree with this and was posting in a sarcastic manner!

Hello

I personally can't blame them for telling their story. Think about it and imagine it was you. No, I am not saying that the cruise ship is responsible for them being sick, but geez oh petes! They make a jillion dollars a year and the people weren't scamming. If they were stuck (forced) in room and couldn't enjoy their vacation, a vacation I am sure they saved their hard earned dollars for, why not try to get what you can.

The cruise ship is giving them a two day credit. Not bad, not bad at all, but they very easily could have given them the same trip they had booked at another date(notice I didn't say refund). I realize they gave them a 2 day credit, but if they're gonna give them 2 days, why not give them a credit for another cruise comparable to what they had.

How often are people truly THAT sick that they are stuck in their rooms. Yes, I know it happens, but how often, really. We went with friends in June of 2003 on Royal Caribbean and one person in our party was under the weather the entire trip. She wasn't stuck in her room and coped with her situation the best she could (she wasn't contagious). She didn't get compensated and nor should she.

Now if she was made to stay in her room, that changes everything. The key word there was MADE. Many people aren't feeling good when they cruise, it happens.

As far as the folks who complained to the media, good for them. I bet 99% of the people on this board would do the same thing IF they knew they'd get something out of it. The island that has invited them is getting something out of it too. It's called publicity, almost free publicity when you think what it costs them for 2 people to be on their island for a few days. Some food, entertainment, airfare and lodging. The island will MORE than make it up with the publicity generated.

Okay, now go ahead and let me have it!!!! I am sure I am about to get flamed for having a heart. Your entitled to your opinion, but please be respectful, I was.

Dan, happy cruisin'

If you are on a ship with Norwalk, and you get ill, you will be confined to your room. Ask the 230 people that got it a couple of weeks ago. The person that started it all was sick when they got on and didn't bother to tell anyone. It was only after a lot of other passengers fell ill that the original party reported in to the medical office. A lot of people travel when they are ill. It is a fact, however, if you are contagious, you should not get on a cruise ship or an airplane and infect others. It has only been through strict quarantines that the cruise industry has been able to keep Norwalk illnesses lessened. Remember a few years back when entire ships were sickened and cruises cancelled so that the ships could be disinfected? Rather than have all that negative publicity, the industry has decided to be agressive in their containment methods. The "Bad" publicity that this woman thinks she is bringing on Princess is infact good. I for one would be really POed if I got on a ship and had someone infect me with this nasty virus because the cruise line didn't want the "bad publicity" of quarantined passengers.

The entitlement mentality of people never ceases to amaze me.

Let's go again.

I never said anyone who is knowingly contagious should go on a ship, ever!!!
Please point out where I said that. You are obviously trying to imply that to make yourself feel smart. I said my friend went on a ship and was sick, not CONTAGIOUS (re-read it).

Yes, obviously I know about the 230 people, your not the only one with a high degree here. That is not something that happens often and whoever caused the others to get sick if wrong, period. I never said they weren't. If they knowing went on a ship sick and were CONTAGIOUS, they are 100% wrong and I believe the people who suffered from it, should be compensated. Yes I'd be PO'ed, bigtime. That is not anything that is in dispute, unless of course it was you who got sick from someone else who knowingly brought on a contagious virus, then you'd want your trip re-imburse. I know, you'd be as happy as a clam! Just take my $4-5,000, I don't want another cruise to make up for someone else's illness that made me ill. Again, 99% of the people would want to be compensated, except you.

I never said it was bad publicity for a cruise line to publicize any sickness on any cruise ships that they have. You better believe they had better let it be known. I have a news flash for you. They do it for a reason. We are in the 21 century here. You can't keep stuff like that hush-hush anymore. Word kind of travels fast, if you follow what I am saying. Thanks for your disresptful response and complete fluff of what I even said.

The entitlement mentality of people never ceases to amaze me either.

Dan, 28, 3 degrees and a major in common sense and the ability to read

Danniduck - I have read this entire thread (including both newspaper articles) and I agree with mickeyfan1. Your response to her did not seem respectful; I felt it was over-reactive and somewhat demeaning.

Someone who has a stomach virus should have the sense to quarantine THEMSELVES rather than risk infecting others. Since many do not feel this way, the cruise line has to do it for them. While many people may get "seasick" on a cruise ship, you can easily tell the symptoms of this from the norovirus. My daughter and I were both infected with Norwalk at WDW during the height of the outbreak in 2002. I'm glad your friend wasn't "contagious" when they were sick on their cruise with you. However, I would rather have cruise ships err on the side of caution.

If the woman quarantined on Princess had applied to her travel insurance, she would also have been reimbursed for the days they were quarantined to their cabin.

Just my opinion ...

DanniDuck31 said:
Let's go again.

I never said anyone who is knowingly contagious should go on a ship, ever!!!
Please point out where I said that. You are obviously trying to imply that to make yourself feel smart. I said my friend went on a ship and was sick, not CONTAGIOUS (re-read it).

Yes, obviously I know about the 230 people, your not the only one with a high degree here. That is not something that happens often and whoever caused the others to get sick if wrong, period. I never said they weren't. If they knowing went on a ship sick and were CONTAGIOUS, they are 100% wrong and I believe the people who suffered from it, should be compensated. Yes I'd be PO'ed, bigtime. That is not anything that is in dispute, unless of course it was you who got sick from someone else who knowingly brought on a contagious virus, then you'd want your trip re-imburse. I know, you'd be as happy as a clam! Just take my $4-5,000, I don't want another cruise to make up for someone else's illness that made me ill. Again, 99% of the people would want to be compensated, except you.

I never said it was bad publicity for a cruise line to publicize any sickness on any cruise ships that they have. You better believe they had better let it be known. I have a news flash for you. They do it for a reason. We are in the 21 century here. You can't keep stuff like that hush-hush anymore. Word kind of travels fast, if you follow what I am saying. Thanks for your disresptful response and complete fluff of what I even said.

The entitlement mentality of people never ceases to amaze me either.

Dan, 28, 3 degrees and a major in common sense and the ability to read

Well I guess you told me! Thank you for setting me straight. Good to know that there are people like you around to keep those like me with no college degree in line.

Sorry, if I came off to strong. I didn't care for your response which had major tones of sarcasm written all over it and directed towards me.

I have read what happen again and I still feel the same way. The couple that went to the newspaper is not the one that brought the virus on board. They contracted it from the person who brought it on board or someone else as it went around.

They were not in the fault for going on the cruise, because they didn't bring anything contagious on board. Someone else did and that ruined their vacation. I did not say it was the cruiselines fault. Please read my first post. I did say the cruiseline could have compensated them better than giving them 2 days of credit on another cruise. Sorry, that just isn't fair. Being confined in your room and missing 4 out of 5 ports, because of someone else's lack of common sense shouldn't be their fault.

I have to ask and I hope I am wrong: Are those of you disagreeing understanding that THIS COUPLE DID NOT BRING THE VIRUS ON BOARD???? It was someone else, just so we get that clear. You seriously and honestly can say that you shouldn't be compensated better than that?? Remember, I never said the cruise ship was at fault.

I APOLOGIZE Mickeyfan1 for coming off so strong, but your response blew me away as much as mine blew you away. I didn't care at all for your sarcasm about entitlment, so I responded.

Again, this couple did not bring the virus on board, someone else did. Doesn't that play into your decision at all??

Dan

Thank you for your apology.

While I understand that these people were not the ones who brought the virus onboard, they did contract it and would infect others if they were not ordered into quarantine. Their compensation from their travel insurance would probably match the number of days they were quarantined; the cruise line compensation (which would be in addition to the travel insurance) was probably the same.

On DCL, I believe the initial quarantine period is 48 hours. Here in Ontario where we have had outbreaks of Norwalk, the requested voluntary quarantine is 48 hours AFTER the last incident of symptoms. The contagion period being so lengthy is what makes this virus so difficult to contain, particularly in a confined environment.

I'm happy that St. Kitt's compensated this couple since that port was to be the highlight of the trip for them. However, I don't think the cruise line has an obligation to compensate everyone affected by Norwalk with a 100% free cruise.

As stated before, just my opinion ...

I do not know everything about how cruise ships and insurance work togethere and that is probably my downfall in this particular post. I was going from the heart and doing what is appropriate and fair. Missing 4 out of 5 ports seems pretty bad to me, but that's just me. It doesn't sound like a good vacation or a vacation at all. If the insurance will pay for 4 of the days, then great for them.

Although they might not be able to compensate them 100%, I just felt and still feel that they could do better than that (a 2 day credit on a 12 day cruise that they missed a minimum of four days).

I apologize Mickeyfan1 for definitely going over board on you and I am truly sorry :love2: . Thank you Arlene for responding to me. I still feel the same way, but that's what makes the world go round. Good Day!

Dan

DanniDuck31 said:
Hello

I personally can't blame them for telling their story. Think about it and imagine it was you. No, I am not saying that the cruise ship is responsible for them being sick, but geez oh petes! They make a jillion dollars a year and the people weren't scamming. If they were stuck (forced) in room and couldn't enjoy their vacation, a vacation I am sure they saved their hard earned dollars for, why not try to get what you can.

Okay, now go ahead and let me have it!!!! I am sure I am about to get flamed for having a heart. Your entitled to your opinion, but please be respectful, I was.

I won't flame you, but you lost me as soon as you decided to make issue of the amount of money a ship makes on a cruise.

What does a cruise line's bottom line, (or ANY company's bottom line, for that matter) have to do with liability? So, because a company makes money, they should be sued?

If the ship is at fault, it's at fault no matter WHAT their bottom line is. You can not make that argument in reverse.

I honestly never said anything about anyone being sued. You are the first person to bring up the word sued, not me. If you check all of my posts, I don't think you will find the word sued anywhere. Fair enough??

Why I said the cruiseline should pay for it is because it HAPPENED on the cruiseline and yes, it wouldn't affect them financially enough to put a dent in their biggest ship. Let me explain, please.............................

If I am in Home Depot and a wacko starts swinging a hammer at an employee because he's angry about whatever......... he misses and hits me in the head, believe you me, Home Depot is responsible. They didn't ask customers at the door if they are in need of anger management courses as they entered and if they did, they would still be responsible if a customer said, oh I am an easy going guy who wouldn't dream of doing something insane, but then goes insane.....follow what I am saying.

Home Depot would be responsible for not providing you with a safe environment to shop in, believe it or not. Even if they questioned you as you came through the main entrance as to your mental capacity. Yes, I know they would not do this, I am just making a point. They have to provide you with a safe environment while you shop in their store on their property. Getting sick from another customer would not apply, because you could not prove that the person in the return line gave it to you. On a cruise ship you could easily prove it.

If you got hurt due to another customer or an employee at Home Depot, they would absolutely take care of you. I worked at a now defunct Home Center 10 years ago and the person working in returns had a battery thrown at them by a disgruntled customer. I will let you guess what happened legally to that customer.

That is why I said the cruiseline should compensate (not be sued by) passengers in the situation that was described in the article that I read. If you get hurt on the cruiseline, you will be taken care of. What's the difference if someone else gets you sick? That person ruined it for a lot of people, but it happened on the ship. Just my opinion and Arlene is right that their insurance hopefully will compensate them.

Hope I wasn't to foward for you, but I never said sued.

Have a Good Day
Dan

DanniDuck31 said:
I honestly never said anything about anyone being sued. You are the first person to bring up the word sued, not me. If you check all of my posts, I don't think you will find the word sued anywhere. Fair enough??

Why I said the cruiseline should pay for it is because it HAPPENED on the cruiseline and yes, it wouldn't affect them financially enough to put a dent in their biggest ship. Let me explain, please.............................

If I am in Home Depot and a wacko starts swinging a hammer at an employee because he's angry about whatever......... he misses and hits me in the head, believe you me, Home Depot is responsible. They didn't ask customers at the door if they are in need of anger management courses as they entered and if they did, they would still be responsible if a customer said, oh I am an easy going guy who wouldn't dream of doing something insane, but then goes insane.....follow what I am saying.

Home Depot would be responsible for not providing you with a safe environment to shop in, believe it or not. Even if they questioned you as you came through the main entrance as to your mental capacity. Yes, I know they would not do this, I am just making a point. They have to provide you with a safe environment while you shop in their store on their property. Getting sick from another customer would not apply, because you could not prove that the person in the return line gave it to you. On a cruise ship you could easily prove it.

If you got hurt due to another customer or an employee at Home Depot, they would absolutely take care of you. I worked at a now defunct Home Center 10 years ago and the person working in returns had a battery thrown at them by a disgruntled customer. I will let you guess what happened legally to that customer.

That is why I said the cruiseline should compensate (not be sued by) passengers in the situation that was described in the article that I read. If you get hurt on the cruiseline, you will be taken care of. What's the difference if someone else gets you sick? That person ruined it for a lot of people, but it happened on the ship. Just my opinion and Arlene is right that their insurance hopefully will compensate them.

Have a Good Day
Dan

You can't really use this analogy between someone swinging a hammer at Home Depot and someone getting a stomach virus on a cruise, it just doesn't work. And the employee getting money from the customer isn't the same as Home Depot being responsible for a customer getting hurt from another customer. Home Depot probably won't be responsible in the instance you discussed, any lawyers out there want to clarify this maybe?
If you get hurt on a cruise line is one thing, this couple did not get hurt they simply got a stomach virus and missed some ports because of it. Believe it or not, this happens quite often. Whether it's the stomach virus or a cold, you do catch things on a cruise and it can make you miss ports and part of your cruise. The cruise lines aren't going to start refunding money to everyone who loses a couple of days due to illness, there's always somebody getting something on almost every cruise ship, it's bound to happen. And it wasn't Princess that got them sick, it was a fellow passenger. If anything, I guess the passenger is responsible!!!!! While on our last Princess cruise in October, bronchitis was going around like wildfire. I of course got really ill and missed the last 2 days of our cruise and stayed in the cabin because I was sick. We all joked how the ship sounded like a TB ward! You should have seen how busy the ships doctors office was, it was crazy when I was there. By the time I got home from San Juan I had walking pneumonia. Well it wasn't the fault of Princess, someone was sick on board and it spread around. That's what happens when you put a few thousand people on board a ship and we all touch things like railings and doorknobs and we all sit near each other.
Hey the couple gets to go to St Kitts, I guess good for them. But honestly, that seems to be enough and for Princess to refund their money on top of that really would be silly.

Thanks for you response, but I have 2 older brothers who are lawyers and I guarantee and lawyer who responses will tell you that home depot would be responsible. I did not verify this with my brothers as of yet, but I have heard them talk about many, many, many cases at family functions. My analogy of a hammer may not be to your personal liking or even fair to you, but it's true.

It doesn't matter if you fell in their parking lot or were bumped into by someone with their cart in the school. It's irrelevant Carolyn, Home Depot would be responsible and I bet any lawyer who chimes in will verify this. Yes, there are always circumstances and situations.

I agree totally with you that the free trip that they got is more than enough. But when they requested to be compensated better than they were, that's when the free trip came into the equation by someone who obviously read the article.

As far as being sick on the cruise and staying in your cabin for a couple days, my friend did that also and was not compensated and should not have been either. Why, because you chose to do so. She wasn't contagious, she did it on her own as you or your spouse did. That is not what is at issue here and I agree with you that it happens a lot(people getting sick). I don't think your comparing apples to apples here. When you're quarantined to your room, then you don't have a choice, that is the difference. People get sick everyday all over the world and it stinks but we all get sick.

Being on a cruise ship and quarantined to your room due to no fault of your own, is not the same thing as being sick and skipping dinner. That happens every single night on cruise ships. But people don't get quarantined every single cruise ship and I will not be convinced of that by anyone, because it's just not true.

Thank you for responding and voicing your opinion which you are entitled to, but your response made me respond. Not because you disagreed, but because of what you said. Fair enough?

Thanks Dan.......I hope a lawyer chimes in.....I e-mailed one of my brothers and hopefully he will.

DanniDuck31 said:

OK, you didn't say "sued". My bad.

But you'd support someone who WOULD sue, since you mention money and the person's right to be reimbursed by the ship. I think it's fair enough for me to make that assumption.

Just because a company has a bottom line does NOT make them MORE liable than the next company. And your Home Depot analogy, though probably accurate within itself, noes not correlate to this case one bit.

Your way of thinking, which is "Oh, they have plenty of money", is, with all due respect, irresponsible.

You haven't made the case where the boat was responsible for someone else bringing a virus onto a ship without their prior knowledge. And that's the case that needs to be made, not what the cruise profitted from the trip.

Here's a different angle...
We have cruised on the Magic four times now within the past 3 years.
EACH time by day 5/6 of the cruise my 6 year old daughter gets a VERY bad cold and sometimes conjuntivitis. I am a real germ freak and she knows enough to wash her hands before and after anything.
We have had to restrict her from the kids club as we do not want others to be infected or sick. However I do find it odd that this has become a common occurance everytime we cruise.
It is also unfortunate because as much as she enjoys the "Mickey boat" she does not want to go anymore because she does not want to be sick.

I never even implied anything about sueing in any way, shape, or form. Period! To say they should be compensated by the cruise ship, simply means they should take care of people in those types of cases. How that implies that a person should sue if they are not compensated is beyond me.
You are the only one to even imply that I said that, let alone say that I said it. But if that's what you felt that I meant, then so be it.

As far as proving that the ship knew a sick person was on board is totally something that I don't have to do. I am on their ship, it's not my responsibilty if they hold me at bay. They have to justify why they did it and compensate where need be.

If I am on the cruise with my little nephew and he hits his on the pool slide or bottom of the pool and gets injured, who do you think is going to pay for that??? Now do you think my brother would have to prove that Disney KNEW AHEAD OF TIME he was going to get hurt BECAUSE the slide is dangerous and the bottom of the pool was just a little too hard. No way!

You have to believe he would be compensated, even if my nephew or yours for that matter went down the slide backwards and was told not to. Let me enlighten you on this, Disney would take care of EVERYTHING. I or you would not have to prove they knew that this could happen, because they already know it can and things do happen. Just like people getting sick. But your on their property and you've paid to be there. They know people don't tell the truth and come on board sick when they say they're not.

But Mike, I guarantee you if they kept you in your room for at least 4 days, you would at least, minimum, want your 4 days back. How you could answer no to that is beyond me. They are responsible for those 4 days because they kept you quarantined, they controlled it!!!! You had no control and that's why you should be compensated. I don't know how else to explain it. I am really trying hard to explain this to get you to understand, but your not. You don't have to agree, that is far from my goal. Understand what I've said like I have done with you, and agree or disagree.

You know you would want to be compensated, so admit it. It has nothing to do with how much money the cruise line has. I said that more to mean that money is not an issue , it's just the right thing to do. It's not even about doing a pr move to say look we helped these people out. They can't say we'd like to compensate them, but we can't afford it. How's that? That's all I was saying is that they have money to do what's right.

Good Night and I hope there are no hard feelings, but your response leaves me no choice but to reciprocate.

Dan

DanniDuck31 said:
Thanks for you response, but I have 2 older brothers who are lawyers and I guarantee and lawyer who responses will tell you that home depot would be responsible. I did not verify this with my brothers as of yet, but I have heard them talk about many, many, many cases at family functions. My analogy of a hammer may not be to your personal liking or even fair to you, but it's true.

It doesn't matter if you fell in their parking lot or were bumped into by someone with their cart in the school. It's irrelevant Carolyn, Home Depot would be responsible and I bet any lawyer who chimes in will verify this. Yes, there are always circumstances and situations.

I agree totally with you that the free trip that they got is more than enough. But when they requested to be compensated better than they were, that's when the free trip came into the equation by someone who obviously read the article.

As far as being sick on the cruise and staying in your cabin for a couple days, my friend did that also and was not compensated and should not have been either. Why, because you chose to do so. She wasn't contagious, she did it on her own as you or your spouse did. That is not what is at issue here and I agree with you that it happens a lot(people getting sick). I don't think your comparing apples to apples here. When you're quarantined to your room, then you don't have a choice, that is the difference. People get sick everyday all over the world and it stinks but we all get sick.

Being on a cruise ship and quarantined to your room due to no fault of your own, is not the same thing as being sick and skipping dinner. That happens every single night on cruise ships. But people don't get quarantined every single cruise ship and I will not be convinced of that by anyone, because it's just not true.

Thank you for responding and voicing your opinion which you are entitled to, but your response made me respond. Not because you disagreed, but because of what you said. Fair enough?

Thanks Dan.......I hope a lawyer chimes in.....I e-mailed one of my brothers and hopefully he will.

I am trying to figure out how to make this seem nice, but having two lawyers for brothers and listening to them talk about their work at family parties doesn't really give you the knowledge to answer liability questions with such authority. I was a paralegal in Manhattan for years and quite of our best friends are lawyers here in town yet I wouldn't even begin to think that I had the complete knowledge to answer with the same authority you do. My friend who's a T & E attorney doesn't even really know the complete answers to all legal questions and cases and he not only has his law degree but his masters of law!
I would love to hear from a lawyer who handles these kinds of cases whether or not Home Depot would be held completely liable if a customer chose to pick up a hammer and swung it at another customer out of anger. Can anybody offer some assistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter