Trip Report! Greek Odyssey, Part 3 - IMAGE INTENSIVE!

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Sorry, sorry, sorry this has been so long coming! My New Year's resolution is to get this all posted as soon as possible!

Day 3, Delphi and the Temple of Apollo

This morning, after another (early!) breakfast at the hotel buffet (it never changed, but there was a huge selection, so that was OK) we boarded our motorcoach for the approximately 2 1/2 hour drive to Delphi! We made a stop part way there, for what Landon & Elena described as just about the best iced coffee drink ever. (I believe they were frappes, or something similar.) It was a funky roadstop shop & coffee cafe that reminded me of a lot of the roadside places we'd stop at on our roadtrips when I was a kid. The coffee was delicious, as promised, and very welcome!

P1110497_zps6ae406d7.jpg

From the parking area of the roadstop, you could see our destination, Mt. Parnassus, off in the distance!

P1110495_zps0ee2d9bf.jpg

At the roadstop, it turns out Landon had purchased a treat for Elena - they were these cheese-ball sort of Greek snacks that she apparently adored!

328_zpse04f8023.jpg

This was a memorial to the Greeks who resisted and fought against the Nazis in WWII.

P1110501_zps5f61b123.jpg

Yet again, I was amazed as our motorcoach driver maneuvered our humongous motorcoach through the narrow streets of the towns we went through.

P1110504_zpsc8406367.jpg

When we arrived at Delphi, we used Whisperers to hear Elena tell us about the history of Delphi, the Oracle and the Temple of Apollo. Whisperers are devices about the size of a credit card, but much thicker, that you put around your neck and use earphones to hear with. They allow your Guide to speak into a microphone, and you can hear her clearly without her having to shout or be heard over other Guides. We've used them on all my European ABD's, and they work quite well (although I do recommend bringing your own earphones/earbuds. The earbuds provided with the Whisperers are disposable, and not the best quality.) Once again, Elena was amazingly interesting, and full of wonderful information about the history of Delphi, the Temple of Apollo, and the Oracle of Delphi.

P1110506_zps230fbb6f.jpg

We entered into a wide open area, with a brick and stone gallery alongside it. Apparently going to visit the Oracle at Delphi was a big social event. People got in line to consult the Oracle, and were able to shop as they passed the vendors set up in the cubicles of the gallery.

P1110511_zps585f49a5.jpg

As we walked along the wide path leading to the Temple of Apollo, where the Oracle held court, we passed an area where there used to be tons of statues that had been donated by rich folks who had gotten good predictions from the Oracle. Most of the statues were long gone (except for a few that were in the museum there) but the inscribed plinths still stand.

P1110520_zps1fc54806.jpg

This is a re-built "Treasury" (the Treasury of the Athenians). Apparently all the city-states had these Treasuries where the tributes brought to the Temple and to the Oracle were stored. Elena mentioned that one of the things they found in this treasury was music embedded in the walls. They'd have song competitions, and the winners were put on the walls. Unfortunately, although they know it's music, no-one knows how to read the notes.

P1110541_zps081233b6.jpg

This was a really cool remnant of a column.

P1110551_zps3642760a.jpg

This wall is ancient, and is made of stones so well fitted together that it has stood all this time with no mortar! In an area well known for earthquakes! Amazing!

P1110555_zpsc6d88b9c.jpg

Apparently some people feel that the earthquakes in the area released gases that, basically, made the Oracles stoned. Whether that helped them with their predictions or not -- well, that's anyone's guess!

And there was a view of the Temple of Apollo, further up the mountain.

P1110561_zpsefe929b8.jpg

I think what struck me the most about Delphi, besides the ancientness of the place, was just how much it was a part of "ordinary life". People would go, socialize, consult the oracle, watch performances at the theatre above the Temple, watch sporting events in the stadium above the theatre, eat meals of the animals brought to sacrifice to Apollo (they didn't eat red meat that much, but why waste a perfectly good sacrifice?) Somehow I always thought of something like "consulting the Oracle" as being a mystical, mysterious, secret-laden affair. Not OracleFest!

This is the altar stone where they burned/cooked the offerings.

P1110563_zps75b7944f.jpg

The Temple of Apollo.

P1110569_zpscaf0fd9b.jpg

All 18 of us in front of the Temple of Apollo.

P1110571_zps68120a16.jpg

P1110586_zps20873307.jpg

As we hiked up towards the amphitheater above, this was the view looking back towards the Temple of Apollo and the valley below.

P1110592_zpsd5e0353d.jpg

The amphitheater above the Temple of Apollo.

P1110597_zpsa0b07256.jpg

P1110600_zps03f72c40.jpg

Landon led some of us on a climb up to the stadium higher up the mountain from the Temple of Apollo and the amphitheater. (We'd done a lot of climbing at this point, and the rest of the group went back down to the on-site Museum with Elena.)

P1110602_zps645b0e7d.jpg

The stadium.

P1110606_zps5e80b803.jpg

P1110609_zps37447d90.jpg

P1110611_zpscf5514db.jpg

Continued in next post

Looking down at the temple from above.

P1110620_zps54dd9d37.jpg

NoraG and Adventure Guide Landon!

P1110626_zpsc9366004.jpg

Once we got back down from the stadium, we met the rest of the group at the Delphi Archeological Museum, which housed a lot of the artifacts from the Temple area. It was meltingly humid in there, but worth it for the amazing exhibits!

Pieces of the pediment from the Treasury. Elena explained the storyline and the significance of a lot of the figures to us.

P1110630_zps8595043f.jpg

A Sphinx

P1110634_zps6c1402b4.jpg

A couple of the statues of the Kings of Argos that used to stand on the plinths along the walk to the Temple.

P1110636_zps1cfb6397.jpg

These gold artifacts were found buried near the Temple. A very unusual find, as most such things were plundered ages ago.

P1110637_zps856a0154.jpg

The remains of a silver statue of a bull.

P1110640_zps38559c5f.jpg

Some of the music found in the Treasury building.

P1110643_zps8ba93fce.jpg

Then came what I considered to be the highlight of the museum. The famous Charioteer of Delphi. Its a life-sized bronze statue, which is amazingly intact. (Even his copper eyelashes remain!) It's very rare to have a bronze statue survive from ancient times, because most of them were melted down for the raw materials. It was buried under a rock fall (earthquakes, remember?) and so survived.

P1110662_zps3c7f5f17.jpg

P1110661_zps3e8d7088.jpg

You can see the drawing behind the statue of how they imagine the whole installation looked, with the chariot, horses (only bits of the horses remain) and a groom. I do love the fluidity of the reigns.

P1110663_zps796e1890.jpg

You can see here the bits of the horses that they found. Amazing!

P1110664_zpsfe9240e7.jpg

After we finished at the museum, we headed back to our motorcoach, and to the town of Delphi, to have some lunch.

This is the lovely Taverna in Delphi where we had lunch.

P1110667_zps91d956c9.jpg

P1110674_zps53a5a4c4.jpg

The view from our tables was absolutely beautiful!

P1110679_zpsc8510774.jpg

P1110681_zps844cfb1e.jpg

P1110682_zps6386fab4.jpg

P1110683_zpsf998df45.jpg

The food was, again, delicious and plentiful!

Cheese wrapped in phyllo dough, with honey. OMG, yummy!

P1110688_zpsce665154.jpg

No, I couldn't eat this salad, because it was mostly tomato, but the huge chunk of feta on top was apparently a common way to serve it. (I was given my own massive salad, sans tomatoes, to eat).

P1110689_zpsc8e59efc.jpg

There were also roasted veggies and zucchini croquettes.

The main meal was moussaka (with tomatoes) and chicken in a tomato sauce. So I ended up with a delectable lamb dish. I was *not* complaining!

P1110697_zps323f0545.jpg

It was a family run Taverna. This was the Mom, and her son is in the doorway behind her.

P1110700_zps89c72bcb.jpg

The Taverna, poised on the side of the mountain, with the vegetable garden below.

P1110704_zpsb3866066.jpg

The view from the road.

P1110711_zps522a930f.jpg

The flags at the end of the town of Delphi.

P1110710_zpsa4a90f1a.jpg

We were told by our Guides to meet here after we had some time on our own to explore. I mentioned earlier how one of our group, Rich, had a tendency to wander off on his own. Well, he was *really* late meeting us at the flags. After a while with no sign of him, I suggested that perhaps he had gotten turned around and was at the flags on the way *into* town. Turns out I was right... Elena got a call from Landon that he'd found Rich at the other end of town. We picked them up on our way out of town as we headed back to our hotel in Athens.

The rest of the day was on our own. I was kind of pooped after the early morning, the long drives, and the hiking, so I spent much of the rest of the afternoon packing, as we were leaving for Santorini in the morning. I did do a little exploring, as I tried to find a grocery store that Landon had mentioned. I'd figured I'd pick up some food to eat in my room as I packed, but it was closed. I spent some more time walking around the area, to see if I could find anywhere else to buy some food, but I just didnt find anything. But I did have a really nice walk. I ended up getting take-out from the Taverna NoraG, her mother & I had eaten at after our Cape Sounion tour. After that, I pretty much just vegged in the room. Tomorrow -- Flying to Santorini!

To be continued in Part 4. - Day 4 - Santorini and the Volcan Winery.

To be continued relatively soon I hope. Kidding :)

Excellent trip report as usual. I'd love to visit Delphi. Heading to Santorini this summer on DCL, so I'll be particularly interested on that leg.

Looking down at the temple from above.

P1110620_zps54dd9d37.jpg

NoraG and Adventure Guide Landon!

P1110626_zpsc9366004.jpg

Once we got back down from the stadium, we met the rest of the group at the Delphi Archeological Museum, which housed a lot of the artifacts from the Temple area. It was meltingly humid in there, but worth it for the amazing exhibits!

Pieces of the pediment from the Treasury. Elena explained the storyline and the significance of a lot of the figures to us.

P1110630_zps8595043f.jpg

A Sphinx

P1110634_zps6c1402b4.jpg

A couple of the statues of the Kings of Argos that used to stand on the plinths along the walk to the Temple.

P1110636_zps1cfb6397.jpg

These gold artifacts were found buried near the Temple. A very unusual find, as most such things were plundered ages ago.

P1110637_zps856a0154.jpg

The remains of a silver statue of a bull.

P1110640_zps38559c5f.jpg

Some of the music found in the Treasury building.

P1110643_zps8ba93fce.jpg

Then came what I considered to be the highlight of the museum. The famous Charioteer of Delphi. Its a life-sized bronze statue, which is amazingly intact. (Even his copper eyelashes remain!) It's very rare to have a bronze statue survive from ancient times, because most of them were melted down for the raw materials. It was buried under a rock fall (earthquakes, remember?) and so survived.

P1110662_zps3c7f5f17.jpg

P1110661_zps3e8d7088.jpg

You can see the drawing behind the statue of how they imagine the whole installation looked, with the chariot, horses (only bits of the horses remain) and a groom. I do love the fluidity of the reigns.

P1110663_zps796e1890.jpg

You can see here the bits of the horses that they found. Amazing!

P1110664_zpsfe9240e7.jpg

After we finished at the museum, we headed back to our motorcoach, and to the town of Delphi, to have some lunch.

This is the lovely Taverna in Delphi where we had lunch.

P1110667_zps91d956c9.jpg

P1110674_zps53a5a4c4.jpg

The view from our tables was absolutely beautiful!

P1110679_zpsc8510774.jpg

P1110681_zps844cfb1e.jpg

P1110682_zps6386fab4.jpg

P1110683_zpsf998df45.jpg

The food was, again, delicious and plentiful!

Cheese wrapped in phyllo dough, with honey. OMG, yummy!

P1110688_zpsce665154.jpg

No, I couldn't eat this salad, because it was mostly tomato, but the huge chunk of feta on top was apparently a common way to serve it. (I was given my own massive salad, sans tomatoes, to eat).

P1110689_zpsc8e59efc.jpg

There were also roasted veggies and zucchini croquettes.

The main meal was moussaka (with tomatoes) and chicken in a tomato sauce. So I ended up with a delectable lamb dish. I was *not* complaining!

P1110697_zps323f0545.jpg

It was a family run Taverna. This was the Mom, and her son is in the doorway behind her.

P1110700_zps89c72bcb.jpg

The Taverna, poised on the side of the mountain, with the vegetable garden below.

P1110704_zpsb3866066.jpg

The view from the road.

P1110711_zps522a930f.jpg

The flags at the end of the town of Delphi.

P1110710_zpsa4a90f1a.jpg

We were told by our Guides to meet here after we had some time on our own to explore. I mentioned earlier how one of our group, Rich, had a tendency to wander off on his own. Well, he was *really* late meeting us at the flags. After a while with no sign of him, I suggested that perhaps he had gotten turned around and was at the flags on the way *into* town. Turns out I was right... Elena got a call from Landon that he'd found Rich at the other end of town. We picked them up on our way out of town as we headed back to our hotel in Athens.

The rest of the day was on our own. I was kind of pooped after the early morning, the long drives, and the hiking, so I spent much of the rest of the afternoon packing, as we were leaving for Santorini in the morning. I did do a little exploring, as I tried to find a grocery store that Landon had mentioned. I'd figured I'd pick up some food to eat in my room as I packed, but it was closed. I spent some more time walking around the area, to see if I could find anywhere else to buy some food, but I just didnt find anything. But I did have a really nice walk. I ended up getting take-out from the Taverna NoraG, her mother & I had eaten at after our Cape Sounion tour. After that, I pretty much just vegged in the room. Tomorrow -- Flying to Santorini!

To be continued in Part 4. - Day 4 - Santorini and the Volcan Winery.

Thank you so much for this wonderful TR.
Do you remember if there were bathrooms in the motor coach?

To be continued relatively soon I hope. Kidding :)

Excellent trip report as usual. I'd love to visit Delphi. Heading to Santorini this summer on DCL, so I'll be particularly interested on that leg.
More than relatively soon, I hope! :thumbsup2

Delphi was really quite an experience. I'm so glad we went! Santorini is up next!

This brings back memories of my ABD tour 2012.
Fabulous tour, wasn't it? :)

Thank you so much for this wonderful TR.
Do you remember if there were bathrooms in the motor coach?
You are welcome. :) And thank you! I'm afraid I don't remember if there were bathrooms, which is really bad, because that's usually something I'm pretty vigilant about! But the Guides were excellent about making stops to go to the bathroom, so it's not such a big deal.

Great pics! :)
Thanks! :goodvibes

Sayhello

We ate there on our Honeymoon, in 2002, but we did a private tour. I do like the way they do salads in Greece, very little if any lettuce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter