• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Number 9 ~ It's the Most Wonderful Time of Year ~ Christmastime at the GF & Poly

I don't know how, but I missed your last update. :confused3 It wasn't until I read some posts today mentioning the OL that I went back to see. DH had surgery last Thursday, so I guess that caused me to fall a little behind. Where are your priorities, Teri!! :laughing:

It's funny how nighttime makes the atttactions different. I don't think I've done TOT at night, but I can totally see how it would be a lot of fun!

And as far as the OL, well, just the pics alone are awe-inspiring! That is the #1 thing on my never-seen-before and have-to-do-someday list. Just beautiful! And I love your videos, too, so I can hear all the wonderful music.

Great update! :thumbsup2

Hi. Great update and great photos :) I love the Osborne lights. Oh, and the buses, isn't nice being at the Poly. Having the monorail and being close to the TTC is a real bonus.:thumbsup2

Thank you! :goodvibes

It is nice being at the Poly!! :lovestruc No buses to mess with for MK & Epcot. Too bad the bus rides you do have to take are so long & crowded though. :eek:

Great pictures of the Osborne Lights Shelly!

That bus trip sounded like fun with two scooters and two crying babies hehe

TOT at night is awesome!

Thanks! :)

Oh that bus was a nightmare! :faint:

TOT was really neat at night. :thumbsup2

Great Update! I loved the OL :goodvibes depending on what dates we decide to go I am thinking about skipping DHS this trip or getting PH and just going from Epcot to there and Vise versa to avoid the bus. I agree with Rinky we never come or go at busy times if taking the bus especially now that I use the scooter.

Thanks Shelia! :goodvibes

That would be a good idea if you have park hoppers to just take the boat over to DHS from Epcot! ::yes::

It's Monday...time to escape reality and pretend I'm in Disney by reading Shelly's TR!!!

Your Poly pics...I literally let out a heavy sigh when looking at them. It's my dream resort and someday we're going to splurge and stay there. Until then CBR will have to be my tropical getaway!

One Man's Dream is my favorite. Last time DH took the kids to TSM while i walked through it on my own.

My DS is really excited about the Captain Jack Sparrow attraction! I didn't know it was there until you posted about it and I found a video of it on youtube. It looks really fun!

My sister hasn't been since 2009 and doesn't get why we keep going back to Disney. She has the "been there done that" mentality. I keep trying to explain to her that Disney is constantly adding and changing. We were there in Dec. 2011 and even since then there's so many new things for us to do when we go back in June!

Well I hope I provided you a nice escape today!! pixiedust:

I hope you get to stay at the Poly someday. It is the best! :cloud9:

That's nice that your DH took the kids and you got to explore One Man's Dream all by yourself. ::yes::

I bet your DS will really like the new Capt Jack Sparrow attraction. pirate:

Well we are heading into trip number 10 this summer and I think we can always find something new that we haven't done before!! :cool1:

I don't know how, but I missed your last update. :confused3 It wasn't until I read some posts today mentioning the OL that I went back to see. DH had surgery last Thursday, so I guess that caused me to fall a little behind. Where are your priorities, Teri!! :laughing:

It's funny how nighttime makes the atttactions different. I don't think I've done TOT at night, but I can totally see how it would be a lot of fun!

And as far as the OL, well, just the pics alone are awe-inspiring! That is the #1 thing on my never-seen-before and have-to-do-someday list. Just beautiful! And I love your videos, too, so I can hear all the wonderful music.

Great update! :thumbsup2

I wondered where you had been!! :upsidedow I hope your DH's surgery wasn't anything serious.

It is pretty neat how Disney at night is so different from Disney during the day! ::yes::

Glad you enjoyed all the OL pics! :santa: I really hope you get to see them someday!! :wizard:

Day 4 – Wednesday December 12

This was our sleep in day! And it was so easy to do at the Poly. :cloud9: I have never slept so well at a hotel in my life! DH said the same thing.

When we got up we just took our time. Spent some time on the balcony and in the room and got ready. Unfortunately DS's rash was not any better. Maybe even worse again. I was getting worried, but every time we called the doctor he said to 'let it run it's course'. Easy for him to say, it wasn't his kid who was extremely embarrassed to go out in public at Disney World!! :headache:

Here was DS's get up to disguise his awful rash.

DisneyDecember2012469_zps37cf9b2f.jpg

I felt so bad for him. :sad2:

We had a Kona Cafe breakfast reservation at 10am, so we got ready and headed out.

DisneyDecember2012470_zps944cbabd.jpg

DisneyDecember2012471_zps061575ed.jpg

DisneyDecember2012472_zps629eb6ab.jpg

We got checked in and were seated in about 5 minutes.

DisneyDecember2012473_zps53134d33.jpg

DisneyDecember2012474_zps81942481.jpg

DisneyDecember2012475_zpseed67de6.jpg

This was the first time ever that we were seated to the left of the check in podium. We always get seated on the right. But like always, we were seated right along the outside of the restaurant, where everyone walking by can look right at you and your table. I don't know why they insist on seating us there!! :crazy2:

We have always had super service at Kona. Always had super sweet waitresses that have gone out of their way for us. This time would not be the same. Our waitress was just okay. No real personality at all. Just not all that into her job and not friendly. She really kind of ruined the whole Kona experience for us. :confused3 I don't think she was intentionally rude, it was just her personality. And she would disappear for long periods of time.

We made the best of it though and all ordered our usual!

DH got the Big Kahuna. Which has shrunk considerably over the years, but is still a lot of food.

DisneyDecember2012477_zps1414895b.jpg

I got the Tonga Toast and it was as fabulous as always!

DisneyDecember2012479_zps56ac9197.jpg

DisneyDecember2012480_zps55bda2ba.jpg

DS11 got the kids French Toast. Not a lot of food there, but he also ate some of my Tonga Toast!

DisneyDecember2012476_zps73b3bcc6.jpg

And DS13 got the kids eggs & toast. This is probably one place that he can start to order off the adults menu finally!! He wasn't full and ended up stealing some of DH's breakfast!

DisneyDecember2012478_zpsb1d92e5b.jpg

Everything was very good as always, except the service. So we left there feeling a little disappointed. We had another breakfast scheduled there for Friday morning, that we ended up canceling.

Total Bill: $49.24
Rating: 7 out of 10

This is the Kona Island bar where DH would be getting his morning coffee and pastries the rest of the week!

DisneyDecember2012481_zps9ac724d7.jpg

Up Next: More Poly and then we're finally off to MK!

Shelly don't you know they sit the best looking families where they can be seen? I have noticed now that Bob and I are older we get seated in the back at a hidden table unless I request otherwise.

I can not wait to try Kona's for breakfast, everything looked good except the kids meals looked like only enough for a 3-5 year old kinda skimpy.

Really????? Posting pics of a delicious Kona breakfast while I'm munching on a granola bar for breakfast??? :crazy2:

I also hate when we are seated at a restaurant right where hungry people waiting to eat are staring at you the whole time. "Done yet? How about now? Can we have your table? Ooooh look what she got! That looks yummy! maybe I'll order that!"

Shelly don't you know they sit the best looking families where they can be seen? I have noticed now that Bob and I are older we get seated in the back at a hidden table unless I request otherwise.

I can not wait to try Kona's for breakfast, everything looked good except the kids meals looked like only enough for a 3-5 year old kinda skimpy.

:laughing: Well I don't know about that!!! :rotfl:

Yes, those kids meals were quite skimpy. :confused3 Guess maybe it's time they both order off the adult menu there. Everywhere else the kids meals are still plenty of food for them.

I hope you love Kona! :goodvibes

Really????? Posting pics of a delicious Kona breakfast while I'm munching on a granola bar for breakfast??? :crazy2:

I also hate when we are seated at a restaurant right where hungry people waiting to eat are staring at you the whole time. "Done yet? How about now? Can we have your table? Ooooh look what she got! That looks yummy! maybe I'll order that!"

I know, I was thinking the same thing when I posted this update. I totally didn't plan to post it at breakfast time!! :faint: Now I want some Tonga Toast!! :sad:

Luckily Kona wasn't too crowded this time. So not too many people staring at us. But we've definitely had it happen there before. Staring as us and our food. Or even better, leaning their behinds up against the rail. :crazy2:

Shelly I knew you would enjoy my theory about restaurant seating :lmao:

As for people leaning on the railing with their butts in my face, I think I might be tempted to stick them with my fork! :rotfl2:

KONA!!!!!!!!!!:lovestruc

What a nice morning you were having! Just like a Polynesian vacation is supposed to be.pixiedust:

Your poor little guy--- bad rash, wearing a disguise AND then having a small-ish breakfast. He just couldn't win.

That's strange you had a bad server there. That can totally ruin an experience for you. At least your Tonga Toast lived up to its reputation for you and it is still a favorite.

Fun update! Can't wait for more!:beach:

Shelly I knew you would enjoy my theory about restaurant seating :lmao:

As for people leaning on the railing with their butts in my face, I think I might be tempted to stick them with my fork! :rotfl2:

You are cracking me up this morning Sheila!! :rotfl2:

KONA!!!!!!!!!!:lovestruc

What a nice morning you were having! Just like a Polynesian vacation is supposed to be.pixiedust:

Your poor little guy--- bad rash, wearing a disguise AND then having a small-ish breakfast. He just couldn't win.

That's strange you had a bad server there. That can totally ruin an experience for you. At least your Tonga Toast lived up to its reputation for you and it is still a favorite.

Fun update! Can't wait for more!:beach:

Every morning at the Poly is wonderful. :cloud9:

Well DS11 ate a good portion of my Tonga Toast, so he didn't exactly starve!! :rotfl: I think he might be getting his very own Tonga Toast next time! ::yes::

Yes, at least all of our food was very good as always! We just left there feeling a little underwhelmed I guess. :confused3 Isn't deterring us from going next time though! :)

And here I was, thinking we were just always lucky when don't get seated up front! :laughing:

I always love eating breakfast out on vacation. I know we all will find something we like, and we almost always like it. Too bad your server was underwhelming this time. Just a smile and a few nice words can go a long way. Your Tonga Toast looks yummy! Not sure about that sauce, though. ;) Is it strawberry? So the Big Kahuna is now the Fairly Large Kahuna? Isn't it funny how you can tell when restaurants start cutting back and making things smaller? Sometimes I wish they'd just increase the price a little instead of playing games with the portions. At least they can't find a way to shrink the Tonga Toast. I guess! :rolleyes2

Your poor DSand his rash. Of all places to not want to be seen, he's in Disney! He did a very nice job with his disguise, though. Cute as a bug!

And here I was, thinking we were just always lucky when don't get seated up front! :laughing:

I always love eating breakfast out on vacation. I know we all will find something we like, and we almost always like it. Too bad your server was underwhelming this time. Just a smile and a few nice words can go a long way. Your Tonga Toast looks yummy! Not sure about that sauce, though. ;) Is it strawberry? So the Big Kahuna is now the Fairly Large Kahuna? Isn't it funny how you can tell when restaurants start cutting back and making things smaller? Sometimes I wish they'd just increase the price a little instead of playing games with the portions. At least they can't find a way to shrink the Tonga Toast. I guess! :rolleyes2

Your poor DSand his rash. Of all places to not want to be seen, he's in Disney! He did a very nice job with his disguise, though. Cute as a bug!

:laughing:

Honestly, I don't even like breakfast!! DS11 and I are not breakfast eaters. DH & DS13 on the other hand can eat as soon as they get out of bed. :upsidedow So I try to make our Kona breakfast around 10-10:30. That way DH & DS13 get their breakfast and DS11 and I are starting to get hungry around that time. And we both just love Tonga Toast! :lovestruc

Well Kona has started to shrink their portions AND raise their prices. :faint: Breakfast there used to cost us about $38-$40. It is now nearing $50, for the same exact food. And less of it!! Hopefully they don't start to mess with the size of the Tonga Toast! Yep - that's strawberry sauce on it. And it is Delicious! ::yes::

Oh DS's rash was just awful that day. :eek: Poor guy!

Love Kona breakfast!

I agree that the portions have shrunk but it is still one of my favorite non-buffet breakfasts at WDW. (Boma wins hands down lol)

Your poor DS :(

The Not So Big Kahuna.....

Would that be the same thing as a Shrunken Kahuna? You said it's shrunk considerably over the years.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oh boy. I'm a fit of giggles. Just like last time.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

:blush:

Love Kona breakfast!

I agree that the portions have shrunk but it is still one of my favorite non-buffet breakfasts at WDW. (Boma wins hands down lol)

Your poor DS :(

We still love it too, even if like many things at WDW -- it used to be a much better deal than it is now! :upsidedow
The Not So Big Kahuna.....

Would that be the same thing as a Shrunken Kahuna? You said it's shrunk considerably over the years.

Oh boy. I'm a fit of giggles. Just like last time.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

:blush:

Shrunken Kahuna :rotfl2::lmao:

No - I think last time we decided it should be changed to the 'Medium Kahuna' on the menu. ::yes:: :rotfl::rotfl:

:eek:

Well as long as it's still in the Medium range.

:rotfl2:

When it gets to the Small range, it'll be time for a change.

:rotfl:

I'm not a big breakfast person either. I would much rather have a big lunch. My DH on the other hand loves b- fast so we have one big breakfast each trip.

Those kids meals do look pathetic!

Looks like a nice relaxing morning. :)

:eek:

Well as long as it's still in the Medium range.

:rotfl2:

When it gets to the Small range, it'll be time for a change.

Yes, once we have to start calling it the Small Kahuna it might be time for a change. :eek:

I'm not a big breakfast person either. I would much rather have a big lunch. My DH on the other hand loves b- fast so we have one big breakfast each trip.

Those kids meals do look pathetic!

Looks like a nice relaxing morning. :)

Me either! I'd much rather skip breakfast and have a big & early lunch! ::yes:: So I try to do at least one big breakfast for DH & DS13. The rest of the week DH just goes for a coffee and pastry and sometimes DS13 will go with him!

Yeah, I need to go back and look at the kids meals from a few years ago and see if they have in-fact shrunk too. :upsidedow

Hi.:) The tonga toast looked delicious as usual!:) Your poor little guy. His cheeks even looked a little red. Its terrible when your kids get something and your away from home.

Poor DS. You did a pretty good job at taking pictures of him without showing the rash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter