• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Advisor negative deluxe reviews

I'm sorry mam, your children are having too much fun here at Disney World. For the comfort of our old guests, we're going to have to ask you to leave.

LOL! But the thing is, some people may assume because it is deluxe and more expensive that it wouldn't attract as many kids. Reviews help give the whole picture.

Sometimes people assume crazy things...One of our favorite resorts in Mexico gets negative reviews because they "did not enforce the rule no children in the infinity pool"....that is because it is NOT adults only! People assume that because the swim up bar is there, that children aren't allowed. That is completely false! They will gladly serve junior his virgin pina colada!

Now, the reviews that slam the hotel because their flight was delayed,...those I ignore!

I am a regular contributor to Tripadvisor (former travel manager so it's in my blood!) and I always check out Tripadvisor reviews of hotels/motels when I book stays. I read the negative ones to see what went wrong and how it could possibly be avoided...those that go on and on saying everything was wrong, I tend to disregard. But, that being said, with a property as expensive as the Poly. is, I would have very high expectations and would not hesitate to comment unfavorably if they are not met or problems that are reported are not rectified.

LOL on the off chance that you are serious. Yes the comfort of the Old guest is important.

See the old guest understand that when you are a parent that unfortunately means you are a parent 24/7 and even on vacation you do not let your children run amok.
Yes we "old" guest disciplined our children, we underst00d that "fun" does not mean running up and down hallways at top speed, screaming like banshee and that yep we wanted our kids to have fun and make memories what we don't want is them being ill mannered hooligans.

Well said and I couldn't agree more:thumbsup2

LOL on the off chance that you are serious. Yes the comfort of the Old guest is important.

See the old guest understand that when you are a parent that unfortunately means you are a parent 24/7 and even on vacation you do not let your children run amok.
Yes we "old" guest disciplined our children, we underst00d that "fun" does not mean running up and down hallways at top speed, screaming like banshee and that yep we wanted our kids to have fun and make memories what we don't want is them being ill mannered hooligans.

Totally agree. And this applies to all resorts, not just deluxes. IMO, too often lately, "It's all about the kids" takes precedence over respect and consideration for other guests.

One of the "problems" with the tripadvisor reviews is, that they aren't only from Disney fans, or even informed people.

I think this is one of the advantages of tripadvisor reviews. :rotfl2:

Personally, I ignore the individual star ratings (although I pay a bit more to the averages), but find Tripadvisor reviews useful for the information they offer. As someone earlier said, I may consider a bar that's open until 3 a.m. a negative, while someone else would see it as a positive. I'm not so much interested in what people thought of the place as I am in those sorts of details.

I think when someone posts on Tripadvisor and they travel a lot--they are comparing WDW idea of deluxe to the other luxury brands. WDW does come up short.

Agreed. Staying onsite is like staying in beachfront properties in that the rooms and units are much smaller than they'd be anywhere else. The difference is that there are resorts offsite that are just as close to the parks (in drive time) that are much, much cheaper -- even people who expect that difference in price between beachfront and a block off the beach can be surprised that it applies to onsite Disney. They're just thinking "distance from the parks," and don't get the "immersive experience" part of being onsite.

The average hotel room I've stayed in has been closer in size to a Moderate, Poly rooms are bigger. How many hotel rooms comfortably fit two queens plus a twin size sofa bed?

All the ones I've ever paid over $100/night for. :confused3 "Luxury" rooms are usually those 450 square feet or bigger -- Poly prices are luxury, but the larger Poly rooms are only 415 sq ft.

I do think part of it is where else you've stayed. Rooms in the east seem to average smaller than they do here in the midwest, and everywhere downtown rooms average smaller than rooms further from the city center. We stay in hotels most while driving from place to place or visiting relatives, so we're usually staying somewhere on the periphery of cities. With that background, I expected the WDW hotel rooms to be larger than they actually are, and I've definitely stayed in bigger rooms for a lot less money.

It was the Tripadvisor reviews that got me to paying attention to the square footage of Disney resort units, and thus first thinking maybe onsite would be a poor fit for us right now. I'm glad that we realized that before we made a Disney reservation. When it comes to rooms and DVC units, the Dis definition of "huge" is definitely not the one we use. ;)

First off, I will say, I've posted on TripAdvisor for a long time...Got the TripAdvisor hat, button, the whole deal. That said, TripAdvisor has the tendency to be either hot or cold. Actually, they have had complaints filed with multiple advertising standards agencies and formal inquiries have been filed regarding "abuse, flaws & distortion" alleging they have reached large proportions upwards of 25% of the reviews being bogus. Honestly, I think they are probably plagued with fake reviews, especially in popular vacation spots.

HOWEVER, and it's a big HOWEVER...An open, inquiring mind can sift through them in a number of ways, some of which have been mentioned in the above posts. Read the negatives and see what went wrong with their visit. Sometimes, it truly is NOT the hotel room. See how many posts this reviewer has made. Do they have an ax to grind, it is their first post? I average the reviews after seeing what was posted and why. Even the most stellar reviews have NOTHING to do with the resort, only the reviewers total vacation experience. So it goes both ways.

Disney is its only entity in every single way...food, lodging and entertainment and you can't compare the entire experience package with a week stay at the Four Seasons. It's definitely apples and oranges. Like a previous poster mentioned...I've had a room at the Hampton Inn that did surpass our room at POR. Did that make our POR room awful, no; our trip, ruined...NOPE!

The thing I find to be most noteworthy is this -- People who don't plan and read and educate themselves before a WDWtrip, to me, can be easily disappointed in certain things - transportation, lodging, food quality because they compare it to other venues, ie., a week at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua vs Grand Floridian...and you can't do that necessarily.

The whole commercial about, I won the Superbowl, I'm going to Disney World- yeah, right! Maybe because you're a millionaire, but the rest of us schmucks need to plan a little farther ahead!

Information/knowledge is valuable and powerful. Pre-conceived notions can be a vacations demise. I've read horrifying reviews about some 5-star Hotels I've actually stayed in...you just never know, until you go...with some advanced reading, at least. Just my 2cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter