Trip Advisor negative deluxe reviews

:thumbsup2

this holds true for moderates as well. We stayed onsite for the first time in Feb. We had a newly refurbished room at POR. For the price point, I expected the room to be Hampton Inn quality and to me it was not. That was basing my expectation by many of the posts here.

In a positive or negative way?

In a positive or negative way?

Negative. I thought the rooms would be nicer, especially given the fact they were just redone. DIS'ers would make comments about how gorgeous and wonderful the new rooms are. The sheets, towels and bedding were very cheap!

For the price, I expected Hampton Inn quality....down bedding, soft towels, comfortable mattress.

I'm not saying I think Hampton Inns are wonderful, luxury hotels, but they do offer a decently appointed room for their pricepoint.

What I find funny is that many people make comments on the "small " size of the rooms...

I have ever travelled and stayed in hotels in Paris or London or well, most european cities I've been to have much, much smaller rooms and not really cheaper prices....

We were very pleasantly surprised by the large size of the rooms :)

But that's another reason to be carefull with other peoples reviews. We all have different expectations and different "values" (sorry, not entirely sure that would be the right word...can't come up with a better translation than that). What is small for one is pretty big for another.

"On the other hand, this does not make up for the fact that the place is full of screaming, misbehaving kids who have really sorry excuses for parents who have no concern for the comfort of others."

Someone actually put this in their negative review of the Poly. Yeah, that's the resort's fault. :rolleyes2

It may not be the resort's fault, but I'm pretty sure it's an accurate statement. Reviews are supposed to inform the reader. The reviewer is just informing people of his or her experience. Actually, the resort can be held accountable for the behavior of guests if they do not enforce their own policies or don't take action when they receive complaints from guests about other guests causing problems.

Personally, I find reviews on tripadvisor to be very helpful.

HeyIt'sMe said:
"On the other hand, this does not make up for the fact that the place is full of screaming, misbehaving kids who have really sorry excuses for parents who have no concern for the comfort of others."

Someone actually put this in their negative review of the Poly. Yeah, that's the resort's fault. :rolleyes2

Yup i laughed at this one , also the one with the pictures of the dirty room. She was complaining about no toilet seat covers???? I couldn't see any dirt in the pics?

We love the Poly our only complaint was one night the area in front of Ohana's was a mess and those same bathrooms were disgusting.
I think that had something to do with a large party looking to be seated without ADR's (. 20ish kids n adults)

I've been known to check Trip Advisor just for reassurance that I haven't booked a dump, but I don't rely heavily on it. The average Trip Advisor reviewer seems to have far higher standards than I do.

Stay at a WDW resort if your main interest is being CLOSE TO WDW, especially if you prefer not to rent a car or to drive yourself to the parks. Or if you want to be immersed in Disney for your entire trip. Otherwise you can almost certainly get a better deal offsite. The resorts are nice and the theming is fun but they are not the Ritz Carlton.

It also helps if you look at WDW as its own little world. A Disney deluxe is a deluxe as it compares to other Disney resorts...not as it compares to all deluxe hotels or resorts worldwide. The reason Disney charges so much is that people will pay it.

Disney deluxe resorts serve a certain market niche.

Generally, I'd describe this niche as folks who appreciate a relatively upscale vacation but, at the same time, value having an all-inclusive, immersed in Disney experience above having an absolute top of the line hotel experience. In this regard, they're okay with getting a Sheraton at a Four Seasons price, because, in their minds, they're not just buying a resort, they're buying a special ambiance that can't be experienced anywhere else on Earth (in contrast, most people who end up being disappointed with Disney deluxe resorts just see the Four Seasons price and expect a Four Seasons).

By way of analogy, one of our family's favorite places to vacation (in addition to Disney) is the Trapp Family Lodge (of Sound of Music fame) in Stowe, Vermont. Rooms (with tax) start at around $300 a night (and go up from there) and, from a strict amenity standpoint, are comparable to what you might find in a very average Hilton that is perhaps showing a bit of wear around the edges (by comparison, the main ski resort in Stowe has a much newer and fancier lodge where one might arugably get more room for the money). But the Trapp Lodge just has such a wonderful and unique ambiance that, when in Stowe, there's nowhere else we'd consider staying.

Some reviews are probably bogus, written by hotel/resort competitors. I don't read reviews from that site.

I read through some of the Trip Advisor comments just to see what people were complaining about and looked at the numbers for each rating. Some of the complaints, such as no dining available at 'Ohanas without a reservation, are obviously from people who were unaware of ADR's and blamed it on the Poly. All in all, it looks like for every 1 person that didn't enjoy their stay, 9 people found it to be very good or excellent. We were there this August and really enjoyed our stay :)

While there were some but over all I thought it was an average review. The Poly is a nice resort but not for everyone.

We've stayed there twice, both times we enjoyed our stay. Not to say it was perfect, it does get very crowded at times so it's not as relaxing as you would hope.

I think everyone can find some fault with any one of the Disney resorts. There prices are high, so I think you expect more. Over all I give the Poly :thumbsup2 review.

My 2 cents worth on the Poly. This comes from a party of 2 adults, no kids staying for a long weekend in a regular room.

We thought the rooms were very spacious & had ample room to get ready each morning & relax each afternoon without tripping over each other. Of course I imagine if you try to fit a party of 4 or 5 in there it will seem a lot smaller than it did to us.

Loved having a balcony & being able to sit out & enjoy coffee in the morning & a glass of wine at night.

We did think the resort looked 'dated' and old. We joked the whole time about that Brady Bunch in Hawaii episode (yes, I'm dating myself ;)). That is the feel we got in the buildings. The landscaping I loved! Being a gardener I really appriciated the beautiful grounds.

Pool was nice. Had a bar & you could get chairs or a cabanna for an afternoon. Hard to beat looking across the beach to the MK. A little noisy with the pool games & music, but nothing unbearable.

All in all, while it was nice, I don't think we are rushing back to stay there. Of course the right price or offer & we would have no qualms with staying there again. And if someone wanted to stay there we would encourage them to give it a try. The quality & service are fine, it just is not our thing. We like the bustle of the Boardwalk a bit more than the quiet of the Poly.

Some reviews are probably bogus, written by hotel/resort competitors. I don't read reviews from that site.

Obviously you don't read that site or you would know how it is set up. I don't think most hotel/resort competitors post hundreds of reviews, as you could easily discover by looking at the reviewer's profile.
I'm sure some reviews could be bogus, as nothing is perfect but the overall site is a great resource for travellers. There is a travel forum for any area a person may visit and there are destination experts that have hundreds if not thousands of posts giving great advice for their area.

I think comments about it having bogus reviews bothers me because I love to travel and help fellow travellers and this site has helped me enhance my trips due to the wealth of knowledge on it. I would direct anyone to use this site when travelling as I would direct anyone travelling to Disney to the Dis. I have never had a bad experience or received something that was not accurately described using the TA site. Are some reviews bogus? I'm sure there are but those are pretty obvious. If you see one glowing review and a lot of bad ones, that's pretty obvious that this may not be a place to stay. Plus, just like the Dis, you can view a poster's profile. If they have only one or a couple of reviews or posts, easy to spot a fake.

Don't really understand the post about trip adviser users having high standards. :confused3

Not sure that using stereotypes is ever helpful.

After looking at the reviews I thought they were pretty much par for the course. Just like here on the Dis, the reviews are OPINIONS. They come from individual perspectives and differ from one person to another. Some are pretty accurate, others border on the ridiculous. :confused3 All the more reason to read carefully and analytically. I find it helpful to look at the chart at the top of the page to see the relative numbers of excellent/good reviews vs the poor ones. That, in itself, can tell you a lot.

I've used TripAdvisor for quite a few years and have written a few reviews myself. Their site can be of invaluable help when you are making decisions about a vacation to a new (to you) destination. But you still need to be sensible. I NEVER consider only a single source of information when making these kinds of decisions. Remember- these sites are just a guide, not a Bible.

Did you see the one where they rated Poly at 1 star because they couldn't get into Ohana and they were angry that you "apparently need get reservations 6 months in advance????" They stated that for the money they were spending they should have been able to eat there....this just echoes what a PP said about people not being informed or doing research and being mad about things that they didn't know about.

I have learned that trip advisor is pretty good for entertainment value, but I don't really pay too much attention to those reviews.

I totally disagree.

I love tripadvisors because they give all types of reviews and you can't rip a person apart for it.

Not everyone in the world loves to micromanage their vacation so knowing that you have to plan popular adr's is a very relevant complaint.

I find tripadvisor readers are not "inhaling pixie dust" sorry I love the dis but I really believe that wdw can treat you guys any kind of way and you would simply say "oh well, I thank god I can go to disney". LOL

I find tripadvisor reviews tend to compare disney to the REAL vacation world that's why the deluxes continually come up short. Only at disney would they ever be considered real deluxes.

I love the dis for informations (like having to book 6 months out). I go to tripadvisor and allears.net for objective reviews.

The theme on the dis is "Love disney" or else leave. time after time has proven, "all negative reviews will be ripped apart and the reviewer told in some form or fashion that their terrible experience was totally their fault"

My favourite is the comment about needing a GPS to find their room. Nuff said.:rotfl2:

The average hotel room at the price point of the Poly do have bigger rooms and more importantly, huge luxurious bathrooms. I travel a lot and I stay at the Ritz, Four Seasons, etc for the same price as the Poly. Disney's rooms do not compare except in price.

I can understand that a first time visitor to WDW, someone used to staying in luxury resorts, would be very disappointed with a Disney deluxe. You have to be a Disney lover to pay those prices for that quality of a hotel.

Your paying for location, location, location.......

AKK

I'm sorry mam, your children are having too much fun here at Disney World. For the comfort of our old guests, we're going to have to ask you to leave.

I'm sorry mam, your children are having too much fun here at Disney World. For the comfort of our old guests, we're going to have to ask you to leave.

LOL on the off chance that you are serious. Yes the comfort of the Old guest is important.

See the old guest understand that when you are a parent that unfortunately means you are a parent 24/7 and even on vacation you do not let your children run amok.
Yes we "old" guest disciplined our children, we underst00d that "fun" does not mean running up and down hallways at top speed, screaming like banshee and that yep we wanted our kids to have fun and make memories what we don't want is them being ill mannered hooligans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!