Treat Yo Self! An October 2016 Solo PTR

winnieatepooh

Mouseketeer
Hello out there! *waves*

My name is Sandy, I’m a 27 year old lady who loves Disney (specifically the Haunted Mansion!) and this is my first solo trip!

IMG_7207_zpscm3ynuet.jpg

Long story short: I have gone to WDW for the past five years with my former fiance. The relationship has been over for a while now, and I’m finally finding myself loving ME...and I don’t want the fact that I’m alone to stop me from going out into the world and doing things I love - especially going to WDW! I went right after we broke up and it was kind of a nightmare...I was too wrapped up in my own sadness to enjoy myself. Now I’ve had a good amount of distance from the situation, I’ve grown a lot, and I think I’m ready to treat myself to the WDW trip of my dreams!

My friend decided to plan a quick cruise for her birthday in October and invited some friends (me!) to come along. The cruise leaves out of Port Canaveral and is only 4 days long - I’m sorry but there’s no way I’m flying all the way to MCO without going to WDW!!! And so my very first solo trip was born.

I’ll be heading down a few days before the rest of my friends and will be spending 4 glorious days/nights in WDW! I haven’t made a final decision on where I’ll be staying yet...but keep reading to see where I'm leaning towards!

This trip report is partly me trying to psych myself up for my first solo trip, reaching out for suggestions and information, and to give me a goal for my trip: to write my first trip report! I think it will keep me from feeling any loneliness, constantly taking photos/writing notes/trying new experiences.

So there we go! To anyone out there reading: Thanks for joining me! I am excited and nervous, but am having a great time planning. I hope you’ll stick around to see the fun I have planned!

Favorite Character: Minnie Mouse (&Ursula!)
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom (with Epcot as a close second!)
Favorite Ride: Haunted Mansion X 1,000,000!
Favorite Disney Food: Disney popcorn, jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel, dole whip float!

Last edited:
Accommodations!

So I have not made a final decision yet about where I’ll be staying -- I am waiting for the fall discounts to be released (rumored to be later this month) to see where I’ll end up.

I will almost always stay on-site. I do not want to rent a car, deal with driving, etc. I know people complain about the buses, but I'd rather wait and have someone drive me around than me getting myself lost on my own, hah!

At first I was pretty set on All Star Sports - which, if you know me, is pretty hilarious. I cannot stand sports or anything at all related to sports, but I LOVED All Star Sports so much last year! Pretty quiet, loved the layout (every building is close to the bus stop, which is very important to me!), the food court was delicious, buses ran frequently (and Sports is the first stop when all the All Stars share!).

all-star-sports-resort-gallery01.jpg

I think I will likely end up here again, BUT I keep seeing photos AoA Little Mermaid rooms, and part of me is dying to stay there!

disney-art-of-animation-little-mermaid-ursula.jpg

BUT: Because the discounts still do not apply to AoA LM rooms, I think I will likely end up at Sports again.

I would love to stay somewhere nicer, but since it’s only me footing the bill, I’m trying to be as cost effective as possible so that I can spend more on experiences (which you’ll see shortly!).

I’ll update when I've made a decision!

FOOD!!! (AKA 'Ohana is the best)

One of my favorite parts about going to WDW & planning a trip: the FOOD! I love to eat, and I love to try new things. The Disney Food Blog has been one of my favorite sites for YEARS - I check it religiously, and have even had a post I wrote featured on the site! (50's prime time chocolate peanut butter cake, in case you were curious :))

Originally I was going to wait with the masses and see if free dining would be released for the fall. (I still may do that...we'll have to see if it's offered, and if there is a room discount that would serve me better!) Since I am leaning towards hoping for a room discount (to save some $$$) I will not be making too many ADRs.

Sidenote: I have never eaten out in a restaurant alone. I do fast food/takeaway but I've never been to a sit-down restaurant, sat at a table, and ate alone before. I think WDW will be a great place to eat even if I am alone - I have come out of my shell a lot more and am much more comfortable talking to strangers, striking up conversations with people around me, etc. If I am not feeling too brave, I'll likely sit at the bar at the places I want to visit. I'm hoping to take myself out to dinner at home a few times beforehand to get myself more used to dining solo.

Back to the food!

My one and only ADR so far is at my favorite restaurant on WDW property: 'Ohana! Their dinner is out of this world. I haven't mentioned this yet, but I am a pescatarian (a vegetarian who occasionally eats seafood) and 'Ohana is the best place for a vegetarian to eat!

IMG_7189_zpsgg4b9kgo.jpg

Sorry for the dark photo, but this was my vegetarian meal last year. I've had similar meals for the past few years, so FYI to vegetarians out there, this is likely similar to what you'll get! I can eat the noodles, stir fried vegetables, bread, salad, and then I was brought out the delicious dip trio you see above - sundried tomato dip, roasted red pepper hummus, and baba ganoush with fresh wonton chips (OMG I dream about these!!), and finally a delicious veggie/tofu stir fry. PLUS we cannot forget about the best part, THE BREAD PUDDING!!!!

5c93eed6c9b3488b5576d21536520e95_3.jpg

JUST LOOK AT IT :love:

Anyways. I have an 'Ohana ADR booked for my second night and I am so excited! There's usually some cute entertainment happening for the kids, so I think that will keep me busy.

I am also thinking about eating at 50's Prime Time - possibly at the bar. I love it there! The food is always delicious, service is amazing, and I am obsessed with the mid-century decor (I LOVE the pink kitchens).

50s-prime-time-cafe-gallery00.jpg

A first for me this trip: Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian! I love tea and have never been to the GF so I'm excited to book this little experience for myself!

gf-tea2.jpg

I'm also hoping to book a culinary demo during the F&WF! I'm looking forward to the listings being released so I can choose which one I'll go to.

Other than that, I don't think I'll be making any ADRs! I typically enjoy QS locations very much, and WDW has been really stepping up their vegetarian/fish offerings. Some of my favorite spots are Columbia Harbour House (MK) - Love the salmon, and also the fried shrimp! -- and Sunshine Seasons (Epcot) - Love the oak grilled salmon, plus the desserts OMG.

I'll likely bring granola bars to have breakfast on the way to the parks and stop at Starbucks for coffee.

Other must-dos for this trip:
Ample Hills Creamery - ice cream parlour opening on the Boardwalk this Spring! Their ice cream looks incredible.
Rose & Crown Pub - Cider & Black (hard cider with a shot of black currant juice) - I wanted to try this on my last trip, but they were out of the black currant juice!
A Citrus Swirl - I haven't had one of these in a couple of years as I typically favor the dole whip float, but I do enjoy them!
The Ganachery - This new spot in Disney Springs really caught my eye!

Last edited:

Treats!

Since this is my first solo trip, I wanted to do a few things that I've always wanted to do, but haven't been able to (due to my travelling partner's lack of interest). I have not booked anything yet as I am still playing around with my itinerary and figuring out which days I'm going where. But here's what I'd like to do!

As I mentioned above, I'd like to book afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian. I am excited to try the treats and be inside the GF for the first time!

I also mentioned I'd like to book a culinary demo at the F&WF. Maybe a dessert one, or one with a chef I like! I'm anxiously waiting for these to be announced.

Since MK is closing early a couple of nights, I thought I would likely end up at Disney Springs. I have always wanted to see La Nouba, so that is definitely on my radar!
fb_share_lanouba.jpg

BUT...Since I'm booking a lot of fun things, I might want to be more cost effective (read: cheap) and do another thing I've always wanted to do, go up in the Characters in Flight balloon instead.

cif_001_st.jpg

And last but not least, the thing I am most excited for, the Keys to the Kingdom Tour!! It will be a nice way to spend time with other people, all while learning a lot about the park and getting to see the utilidors!

keys-to-the-kingdom-tour-00.jpg

I'm trying to give myself a lot of fun things to keep me busy and give me things to look forward to!

Hi Sandy! Following your PTR as we're heading to the World in October as well! I have to say, I absolutely LOVE your retro red and white dress. Good luck with your planning!

Hi Sandy! Following your PTR as we're heading to the World in October as well! I have to say, I absolutely LOVE your retro red and white dress. Good luck with your planning!

Great to have you along for the ride Kristina! October is such a great time to visit WDW. And thank you so much! I love that dress...I got it from some retro clothing website.

haha love your title, red dress, & how awesome you are to plan a fab solo vacay! I'm a Vegetarian too so I'll have to check out 'Ohana on my trip next month!

Loved reading your plans! We're going in October, too.
'Ohana is one of my faves, too. The bread pudding is my favorite part!
I am anxiously awaiting my DS12 to turn 16 so we can take the KTTK tour! He was so bummed when we found out about it, and learned the age limit. We're doing the Wild Africa Trek instead.
Sounds like it will be an amazing vacation for you... and followed by a cruise, too! Awesome!

haha love your title, red dress, & how awesome you are to plan a fab solo vacay! I'm a Vegetarian too so I'll have to check out 'Ohana on my trip next month!

Thank you!! So happy to have you along. You definitely have to go to 'Ohana - they are the best for vegetarians. You will NOT leave hungry...they always have to roll me out in a wheelbarrow!

Loved reading your plans! We're going in October, too.
'Ohana is one of my faves, too. The bread pudding is my favorite part!
I am anxiously awaiting my DS12 to turn 16 so we can take the KTTK tour! He was so bummed when we found out about it, and learned the age limit. We're doing the Wild Africa Trek instead.
Sounds like it will be an amazing vacation for you... and followed by a cruise, too! Awesome!

Thank you so much! The 'Ohana bread pudding is the stuff dreams are made of...so amazing! It's too bad about the age limit, especially a 12 year old - but that means you have something great to look forward to do together! I've always wanted to do the Wild Africa Trek!! I hope you guys love it, it looks so incredible!

Flights & Hotel!

I was going back and forth between 3 or 4 nights. I knew 3 would be manageable for my first solo trip, but I realized that it was almost cheaper to do 4. I've been waiting for flight prices to settle and I finally booked! I'll be off the beginning of October for four wonderful nights in WDW! I'm super excited! Now I'm waiting for any fall discounts to be released. I've officially decided on All Star Sports!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter