Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

Hey, I know that spot! We sat on that bench last trip! I had no idea it was famous or I would have taken a picture... actually I'm surprised I didn't take a picture since I kind of do that nonstop on our trips anyway.

:laughing:

:welcome: to the report!

That is too funny! I am always taking random photos and have the same thought.

"I MUST have a picture of that somewhere!"

Thanks for reading and commenting.

:goodvibes

Last edited:
I Don't Want to Miss A Thing-
Lunch and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster

When we finished dropping in on Tower of Terror, it was sometime around 2 pm. Our Fast Passes for Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster were scheduled for 2:20 to 3:20 and our group had not eaten since I treated everyone to breakfast around 8 that morning.

It was time for lunch.

I really don’t have any strong preferences for dining at Hollywood Studios, but since we were near Rosie’s All American Café and Catalina Eddie’s on Sunset Boulevard, and it was too hot to travel very far, that’s where we went.

I have never eaten at either of these places. Sci Fi is our family HS lunch spot, and I had my solo Starring Rolls meal on the prior class trip. Although I had made up a dining guide for the class, describing what the various counter service places offer, I apparently didn’t pay much attention to it. I was craving something light, like a salad, but I didn’t see one offered on the menu for Rosie’s where we all lined up.

DSCF7632.jpg

Just burgers, chicken nuggets and a fried green tomato sandwich. I assumed that the menu at Catalina Eddie’s, right next door was the same.

It isn’t.

Catalina Eddie’s offers the Caesar salad I craved, along with pizza, including a Chicken Pesto Flatbread that sounds pretty good.

DSCF7635_1.jpg

We found seating, at tables with sun umbrellas, amongst some of the other groups from our school. And I saw all sorts of interesting food on the plates of the people around us. I ate my burger. It was good, but I wanted a salad.

DSCF7634_1.jpg

And a friend of mine must have E.S.P. because she came up to me and asked if I would like to have the salad that came with her meal. She had not touched it and was getting ready to leave.

Sure!

I forgot to take a picture, though.

After we had all finished our meals, it was time to visit Aerosmith.

*** FLASHBACK ***

If you have read my past trip reports, you have probably already heard this story, so feel free to skip ahead.

Aerosmith was the first concert I went to without an adult. When I was in 8th grade and my brother was in 7th, my dad drove us to Portland Maine and dropped us off at the Civic Center for the show. I can’t remember who the opening act was. Aerosmith came on stage, started their first song, and then Steven Tyler passed out.

Lights on. Concert over.

This was before people had cell phones, so we had no way to contact my dad to let him know we were ready to be picked up. Eventually, we met up with him at the appointed spot and went home.

The concert was rescheduled a few months later and the band completed the show without incident.

Back to the trip.

My friend L. still had the boys who didn’t want to ride, so I was free to Walk This Way.

DSCF7637.jpg

DSCF7651.jpg

DSCF7642.jpg

DSCF7644.jpg

DSCF7649.jpg

DSCF7647.jpg

DSCF7650.jpg

Hmmm… Don’t know why I don’t have Ben’s picture from this ride. I have mine and one other from our group, but I’m missing the rest of our riders.

Group7Rock1.jpeg

Oh, well, on to Star Tours, our final FP at the park.

I reminded our boys about the tips for being chosen as the rebel spy. Be in a big group. Face forward after you sit down. Don’t put on your 3-D glasses until you are asked to.

I took this picture to practice so I could get a good picture if one of our boys was picked.

DSCF7652.jpg

I was pretty far in the back, so I knew I had to hold the camera really steady.

DSCF7654.jpg

How did I do?

:sad2:

After Star Tours, we were at a crossroads. It was probably around 4. Our plan for the evening was to go to Magic Kingdom, which was open until 1 am and stay as long as we wanted to.

One chaperone volunteered to stay at Hollywood Studios with his son and anyone who wanted to remain there for the rest of the afternoon and then meet us at MK later. The rest of us headed back to All Star Movies for a rest/break/swim.

Next up: All Teen, All Male Synchronized Swim Team

Last edited:
I have eaten there before but don't remember what I have had. Nothing special but nothing terrible.

RnRc is a favorite of mine and my family. We always love to see what we look like in the ride photos too! The only reason my mom goes on that ride is because she likes Aerosmith.

Star tours is always fun. I've never been a rebel spy but others with me have.

Just burgers, chicken nuggets and a fried green tomato sandwich. I assumed that the menu at Catalina Eddie’s, right next door was the same.
:sad2: I expect more from you...

Aerosmith was the first concert I went to without an adult. When I was in 8th grade and my brother was in 7th, my dad drove us to Portland Maine and dropped us off at the Civic Center for the show. I can’t remember who the opening act was. Aerosmith came on stage, started their first song, and then Steven Tyler passed out.

Lights on. Concert over.
:eek: Well, that's a concert you'll never forget!

How did I do?

So... was that one of the kids in your group? :confused3

After Star Tours, we were at a crossroads. It was probably around 4. Our plan for the evening was to go to Magic Kingdom, which was open until 1 am and stay as long as we wanted to.
Woohoo!!! MK till they throw us out! Who needs a break?

I know I'm a couple years older than you, but isn't it funny when you think about the things we were able to do by ourselves back then? You sure couldn't let a seventh and eighth grader go to a concert alone today. It's such a different world now.

I'm still having a hard time believing you were with a group of teenaged boys and there were some who didn't want to ride RnR!

I have eaten there before but don't remember what I have had. Nothing special but nothing terrible.

RnRc is a favorite of mine and my family. We always love to see what we look like in the ride photos too! The only reason my mom goes on that ride is because she likes Aerosmith.

Star tours is always fun. I've never been a rebel spy but others with me have.

That's a pretty good description of Rosie's/Catalina Eddie's. Not memorable.

"Love rollercoasters? Love Aerosmith? Helloooo!?!"

Our group was 2-2 for rebel spies. Then again, I think we took up half of the room, so the odds were in our favor anyway.

:chewy:

Last edited:
:sad2: I expect more from you...

Me, too! I was pretty disappointed with myself.

This is what I had in the dining guide I prepared for the people on the trip:

Rosie’s or Catalina Eddies (Sunset Boulevard)- Burgers, Chicken Nuggets/Pizza, Deli Sandwich, Caesar Salad

I had it this way because I wanted to get all of the CS dining info on one page of the planning document. Then I assumed both locations had all of the menu items.

Planning fail!

:headache:

:eek: Well, that's a concert you'll never forget!

:rockband:

Like this, but with the middle emoji on its side.

So... was that one of the kids in your group? :confused3

Yes. The picture is so bad that I am comfortable posting it.

Woohoo!!! MK till they throw us out! Who needs a break?

The teenagers! They don't build 'em like they used to.

:cat:

Last edited:

I know I'm a couple years older than you, but isn't it funny when you think about the things we were able to do by ourselves back then? You sure couldn't let a seventh and eighth grader go to a concert alone today. It's such a different world now.

I'm still having a hard time believing you were with a group of teenaged boys and there were some who didn't want to ride RnR!

The thing that amazes me is how much easier it is to go places like Disney now that we have cell phones. There was no way to get in touch with my dad to let him know we were out early, but today we would be able to do that. I still get panicky I separate from a group, so even with cell phone, I try to communicate a "Plan B".

We had 12 boys. 3 did not ride RnR.

One was my friend's son, who was planning on riding but since he was not feeling well after his second ride on Everest that morning, he decided to pass.

The reason another boy did not ride is that we broke him on a prior trip. In 2014, I chaperoned a band trip to Six Flags. He was in our group and a couple of kids convinced him to go on his first rollercoaster first thing in the morning. Bizarro. A very long, VERY extreme coaster. He didn't want to ride anything else for the rest of the day. And I think this experience carried over to the Disney trip.

The third boy was the one who didn't want to go on anything even slightly extreme.

The thing that amazes me is how much easier it is to go places like Disney now that we have cell phones. There was no way to get in touch with my dad to let him know we were out early, but today we would be able to do that. I still get panicky I separate from a group, so even with cell phone, I try to communicate a "Plan B".
Cell phones are great for Disney, especially when traveling with a group that wants to head off to do different things. Just make sure you have a battery backup. ;)

I Don't Want to Miss A Thing-
Lunch and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster

When we finished dropping in on Tower of Terror, it was sometime around 2 pm. Our Fast Passes for Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster were scheduled for 2:20 to 3:20 and our group had not eaten since I treated everyone to breakfast around 8 that morning.

It was time for lunch.

I really don’t have any strong preferences for dining at Hollywood Studios, but since we were near Rosie’s All American Café and Catalina Eddie’s on Sunset Boulevard, and it was too hot to travel very far, that’s where we went.

I have never eaten at either of these places. Sci Fi is our family HS lunch spot, and I had my solo Starring Rolls meal on the prior class trip. Although I had made up a dining guide for the class, describing what the various counter service places offer, I apparently didn’t pay much attention to it. I was craving something light, like a salad, but I didn’t see one offered on the menu for Rosie’s where we all lined up.

DSCF7632.jpg

It isn’t.

Catalina Eddie’s offers the Caesar salad I craved, along with pizza, including a Chicken Pesto Flatbread that sounds pretty good.

DSCF7635_1.jpg

We found seating, at tables with sun umbrellas, amongst some of the other groups from our school. And I saw all sorts of interesting food on the plates of the people around us. I ate my burger. It was good, but I wanted a salad.

DSCF7634_1.jpg

And a friend of mine must have E.S.P. because she came up to me and asked if I would like to have the salad that came with her meal. She had not touched it and was getting ready to leave.

Sure!

I forgot to take a picture, though.

After we had all finished our meals, it was time to visit Aerosmith.

*** FLASHBACK ***

If you have read my past trip reports, you have probably already heard this story, so feel free to skip ahead.

Lights on. Concert over.

This was before people had cell phones, so we had no way to contact my dad to let him know we were ready to be picked up. Eventually, we met up with him at the appointed spot and went home.

The concert was rescheduled a few months later and the band completed the show without incident.

Back to the trip.

My friend L. still had the boys who didn’t want to ride, so I was free to Walk This Way.

DSCF7637.jpg

DSCF7651.jpg

DSCF7642.jpg

DSCF7644.jpg

DSCF7649.jpg

DSCF7647.jpg

DSCF7650.jpg

Hmmm… Don’t know why I don’t have Ben’s picture from this ride. I have mine and one other from our group, but I’m missing the rest of our riders.

Group7Rock1.jpeg

Oh, well, on to Star Tours, our final FP at the park.

I reminded our boys about the tips for being chosen as the rebel spy. Be in a big group. Face forward after you sit down. Don’t put on your 3-D glasses until you are asked to.

I took this picture to practice so I could get a good picture if one of our boys was picked.

DSCF7652.jpg

I was pretty far in the back, so I knew I had to hold the camera really steady.

DSCF7654.jpg

How did I do?

One chaperone volunteered to stay at Hollywood Studios with his son and anyone who wanted to remain there for the rest of the afternoon and then meet us at MK later. The rest of us headed back to All Star Movies for a rest/break/swim.

Next up: All Teen, All Male Synchronized Swim Team

I've not had the chance to ride RNRC yet. It was down part of the day we were at DHS. Actually, ever major ride at DHS was down at some point the day we were there. TOT broke down twice when my husband and Amara tried to use their FP. The second time right before the drop. Lights came on and they were told they'd experience a full drop. Still not sure what that means, other than they dropped all the way down, bounced up and down a bit, then stopped. They got anytime FP good through the end of January for their troubles. Amara thought it was the best TOT ride ever. They used the FP on RNRC. I'm hoping to use the single rider line in May, since I've never been. Aria is too short and my mom was scared on the People Mover.

What's the name of the farmer's market-ish place at DHS? We usually just grab something there because it's eas.

My first concert was Rick Springfield. I was 13, I think, and my mom just dropped me off at the amphitheater in LA and went shopping at the Galleria until the concert ended.

Cell phones are great for Disney, especially when traveling with a group that wants to head off to do different things. Just make sure you have a battery backup. ;)

We carry those lipstick-sized chargers for Disney and they pretty much get us through the day.

We have a portable charger, but we have to 1) keep it charged 2) remember to bring it and 3) make sure you have the cord to use to connect your phone to the charger...

:rolleyes1

Last edited:
I've not had the chance to ride RNRC yet. It was down part of the day we were at DHS. Actually, ever major ride at DHS was down at some point the day we were there. TOT broke down twice when my husband and Amara tried to use their FP. The second time right before the drop. Lights came on and they were told they'd experience a full drop. Still not sure what that means, other than they dropped all the way down, bounced up and down a bit, then stopped. They got anytime FP good through the end of January for their troubles. Amara thought it was the best TOT ride ever. They used the FP on RNRC. I'm hoping to use the single rider line in May, since I've never been. Aria is too short and my mom was scared on the People Mover.

What's the name of the farmer's market-ish place at DHS? We usually just grab something there because it's eas.

So sorry to hear you haven't been on RnR yet. Sounds like it was a rough day at the Studios! Scared on Peoplemover? Your mom sounds like our teen we had who didn't want to ride anything...

Is the place you are referring to Anaheim Produce and/or Fairfax Fare? Those two places weren't included on our meal vouchers.

:(

My first concert was Rick Springfield. I was 13, I think, and my mom just dropped me off at the amphitheater in LA and went shopping at the Galleria until the concert ended.

I think there are worse things for a parent than dropping your precious child at a concert. Like actually attending that concert with them!

My son Ben doesn't really listen to music. Nate has gone through a few different phases- Green Day, rap, skryllics (sp?) and now he is into Johnny Cash.

:music:

We carry those lipstick-sized chargers for Disney and they pretty much get us through the day.

:thumbsup2

So sorry to hear you haven't been on RnR yet. Sounds like it was a rough day at the Studios! Scared on Peoplemover? Your mom sounds like our teen we had who didn't want to ride anything...

Is the place you are referring to Anaheim Produce and/or Fairfax Fare? Those two places weren't included on our meal vouchers.

:(

I think there are worse things for a parent than dropping your precious child at a concert. Like actually attending that concert with them!

My son Ben doesn't really listen to music. Nate has gone through a few different phases- Green Day, rap, skryllics (sp?) and now he is into Johnny Cash.

:music:

:thumbsup2

I love Johnny Cash. Amara is really into Elvis and the Beatles right now.

It must be Anaheim Produce I was thinking of. I just remember I could get some wasabi-flavored chips and a margarita there and I was happy as a clam. I'm hoping I can find something with the millennium falcon or Death Star glow cubes. They didn't have them in January (or I was looking in the wrong place.)

We took my mom on the People Mover two summers ago - the year we had the big Dis meet at BC/YC. At one point, Amara nudged me and pointed at my mom, who was slumped over with her face practically in her purse. I honestly thought I'd killed my mom on the People Mover. She was just staring in her purse whenever we were outside. I knew she had a fear of heights but she does the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse every year and she's fine. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do with mom for our MK days, since she's turning into a bit of a curmudgeon. It feels like touring with a tween, to be honest. But instead of rolling her eyes and declaring something lame, she just shudders a bit.

I did RnR in December, and HOLY CANNOLI WOW! It was fun :) Love the music, and Steven Tyler passing out...that's a memorable first concert

We have a portable charger, but we have to 1) keep it charged 2) remember to bring it and 3) make sure you have the cord to use to connect your phone to the charger...

:rolleyes1
I have the most problem with remembering #2 and 3. ;) And it is the time that I forget it that I really wish I had it.

I'm with you on the counter service restaurants at Hollywood Studios. I can take or leave any one of them. Glad to hear that one of the other chaperones gave you her salad...nothing better than a salad on a hot day. Or any day for that matter since I love a good salad.

I didn't remember your first concert story and actually chuckled because it sounds like something that would happen to me.

I love your Rock n Roller Coaster picture - everyone seems to be screaming appropriately!

Your rebel spy picture looks ... interesting. I guess that picture is pretty hard to get, even if you've practiced!

By the way, I totally get the Aerosmith concert story - I may be relatively young, but I still remember not having a cell phone. It was always important to have quarters for the payphone. And of course, if whoever you were calling wasn't home ... you were out of luck. No way to reach people on the road.
Wow, things really have changed since I was a kid!

I love Johnny Cash. Amara is really into Elvis and the Beatles right now.

It must be Anaheim Produce I was thinking of. I just remember I could get some wasabi-flavored chips and a margarita there and I was happy as a clam. I'm hoping I can find something with the millennium falcon or Death Star glow cubes. They didn't have them in January (or I was looking in the wrong place.)

We took my mom on the People Mover two summers ago - the year we had the big Dis meet at BC/YC. At one point, Amara nudged me and pointed at my mom, who was slumped over with her face practically in her purse. I honestly thought I'd killed my mom on the People Mover. She was just staring in her purse whenever we were outside. I knew she had a fear of heights but she does the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse every year and she's fine. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do with mom for our MK days, since she's turning into a bit of a curmudgeon. It feels like touring with a tween, to be honest. But instead of rolling her eyes and declaring something lame, she just shudders a bit.

I am only starting to grow to appreciate Johnny Cash recently. I love Ring of Fire and of course, A Boy Named Sue. Johnny Cash was actually performing one night at Pleasure Island one my husband and I were there many many moons ago. I snapped a couple of pictures, but we didn't stick around to listen to him sing.

Wasabi chips sound awesome! Especially paired with a margarita!

I am not sure I have heard of anyone who was terrified on People Mover. Heck, we even got the kid who refused thrill rides to go on twice!

:laughing:

::yes::
I did RnR in December, and HOLY CANNOLI WOW! It was fun :) Love the music, and Steven Tyler passing out...that's a memorable first concert

RnR was Nate's threshold coaster. Once he rode that, there is not a coaster he is afraid of trying.

Do you get the chance to ride anything fast and furious at Universal when you go?

:car:

It was a memorable concert. At least for my brother and me. Not so much for Steven Tyler!

:faint:

I have the most problem with remembering #2 and 3. ;) And it is the time that I forget it that I really wish I had it.

Yes, it helps to be prepared, and helps even more when you can remember what you brought to be prepared. It does seem like the time you forget to keep something charged or forget the charger is when you really want it.

::yes::

I'm with you on the counter service restaurants at Hollywood Studios. I can take or leave any one of them. Glad to hear that one of the other chaperones gave you her salad...nothing better than a salad on a hot day. Or any day for that matter since I love a good salad.

I didn't remember your first concert story and actually chuckled because it sounds like something that would happen to me.

It was incredible that I was craving a salad, and had one of my friends offer one to me without me even saying anything!

The night of the concert was quite interesting. I guess while we were waiting for my dad, he was in a bar arguing with another patron. He is generally very mild-mannered, but he got into a heated political debate. He wasn't drunk, just passionate. Times were definitely a lot different a few decades ago! A disagreement in a bar could turn very dangerous these days.
:scared1:

I love your Rock n Roller Coaster picture - everyone seems to be screaming appropriately!

Your rebel spy picture looks ... interesting. I guess that picture is pretty hard to get, even if you've practiced!

By the way, I totally get the Aerosmith concert story - I may be relatively young, but I still remember not having a cell phone. It was always important to have quarters for the payphone. And of course, if whoever you were calling wasn't home ... you were out of luck. No way to reach people on the road.
Wow, things really have changed since I was a kid!

Thanks! I don't know anyone else in the picture, but I did my part to play the part.

The rebel spy picture was NOT my best work. I think I was in the last row, and I didn't want to be obvious about taking a picture so I did it really quickly when I really needed to hold the camera still. But the photo of the boy is so unrecognizable that I am comfortable posting it here. I just wish I had a better one to send to his family.

Things have changed. My kids don't understand when I want to make a Plan B when we separate. Even though they have cell phones, I come from a time when we didn't rely on them, and I want to be sure we have a way to get back together again if phones malfunction or are lost.

:cool2:

All Teen, All Male, All Star Synchronized Swim Team

Most of our group left Hollywood Studios and returned to the resort for a break before our night at Magic Kingdom. I think one dad and two boys stayed behind and would meet us later.

When we got back to All Star Movies, a few boys wanted to stop for snacks:

DSCF7661.jpg

DSCF7662.jpg

This was one boy’s plate. He is skinny as a rail.

DSCF7665.jpg

Ben went to his room to relax and read, but a group of boys went out to the pool, so I headed there to keep my eyes on them.

DSCF7666.jpg

I never saw any kids at this splash area.

DSCF7670.jpg

While I was out at the pool, I was treated to a synchronized swimming routine.

DSCF7675%20-%20Copy_1.jpg

DSCF7680.jpg

DSCF7676.jpg

Chaperoning is hard work!

Next Up: Do we make it to 1 am at the MK?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter