• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

Brilliant updates Dee. Love the photos of both you and Ben together and yeti mimicking lol. Sorry your plans were scuppered so early in the day. I'm hoping things don't totally unravel and that everyone plays nice!!

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that one of the kids wasn't feeling too well and had to leave. And it sounds like another chaperone who hijacked the plans didn't realize there'd be ramifications to changing plans. Oh boy. Don't they know to listen to you at all times?!

I felt terrible about that! Especially since my friend L got stuck with all the kids who wouldn't ride the extreme rides and then was unable to ride one that she would go on. The group was mostly good about listening to and following my advice. This was a low point. As was another incident later that night at MK.

:headache:

Completely understandable that the kids would want to ride Expedition Everest twice. That's such great ride.

Sorry to hear that there is a chaperone already second guessing your plans. I feel for you trying to accommodate so many people. You just can't please everyone.

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the Christmas wishes and sending the same to you, along with a Happy New Year to you and yours!

I get it- EE is my favorite ride at Animal Kingdom. But in trying to get the kids to experience everything we wanted to in a very short time at AK, we really did need to stick to the plan.

:sad2:

Brilliant updates Dee. Love the photos of both you and Ben together and yeti mimicking lol. Sorry your plans were scuppered so early in the day. I'm hoping things don't totally unravel and that everyone plays nice!!

Ben was good about photos, and I tried to be good about not asking too many times for pictures. I have a lot of group pictures of the boys that I haven't posted and it was great because others in our group would suggest it, not me.

Animal Kingdom tends to bring out the worst in people. We had issues on Nate's class trip there. It is always way too hot and way too crowded. I wouldn't say everything unraveled, but there were more bumps on this day than there had been the previous two.

:mad:

Snakes in a Stall and Safari

When I left off, we were in the queue for Kilimanjaro Safari and there was starting to be some dissention in the ranks because I informed the group that we wouldn’t be able to ride Kali River Rapids due to the unplanned second ride on Expedition Everest.

Was the safari worth it?

Before I get to that, I want to cut back to my friend L, who sat out the safari (and subsequently left the park) because her son was not feeling well after the second ride on EE. She didn’t end up telling me this story until weeks after we returned. I have asked her to look this over to see if she has anything to add or correct:

“I was in the shade waiting for M. to come out of the bathroom. I could see the entrance/exits to both the men’s and women’s rooms. There was a sign blocking the door to the ladies room saying the room was out of service. But I saw women leaving. They just weren’t letting people in. Then I saw a couple of park CMs come by with a VERY large animal carrier and go into the bathroom.”

My friend overheard CMs talking about a rather large snake in the women’s room.

:scared1:

But back to me and the animals.

It was not one of the best safaris I have been on. Usually when I am with my family, I will sit on the driver’s side of the vehicle, the left, because you have the best views of more interesting animals on this side of the jeep (have you noticed that?) This time I was on the far right, with 3 other people between me and the critters.

We went pretty fast past all of the areas. I know the drivers don’t typically stop, but we really did seem to speed past everything more than usual.

Here we go:

WP_20150611_026.jpg

WP_20150611_014%202.jpg

Here is a pretty horrendous picture of crocodiles. The one I have of hippos is even worse- not even going to post that.

WP_20150611_016.jpg

WP_20150611_023.jpg

WP_20150611_025.jpg

WP_20150611_028.jpg

WP_20150611_030.jpg

WP_20150611_031.jpg

Don't adjust your sets. My picture is blurry, not your computer screen.

WP_20150611_034.jpg

WP_20150611_039.jpg

And now the moment of truth.

Around the corner is Pride Rock.

WP_20150611_037.jpg

OK, great view of the lion!

But even with this spectacular finale to the ride, I thought the safari was “meh”

Nevertheless, it was still an attraction that needed to be experienced.

Next up: Dinosaur and “A Teen Reduces Me to Tears” Flashback

Last edited:
That is really scary. I don't think I'll be making any trips to that restroom in the future. :sad2:

But back to me and the animals.

It was not one of the best safaris I have been on. Usually when I am with my family, I will sit on the driver’s side of the vehicle, the left, because you have the best views of more interesting animals on this side of the jeep (have you noticed that?) This time I was on the far right, with 3 other people between me and the critters.
That's really too bad. One of our best safari rides was late in the day, after five p.m. But the middle of a hot day can have boring animals, I guess. :(

great shot of the lion at least. I never paid attention before, but now I know to be on the left!

I've heard ofneeding to "snake a toilet" but not to "de-snake a toilet".

Yeah, I've gotten downright perturbed on the Safari when they won't slow down enough to let you take a non-shaky picture. And sometimes you're waiting for him to slow down just a little bit more, before taking the picture, ...and all of a sudden he gases it.

Great picture of the lion though!

Before I get to that, I want to cut back to my friend L, who sat out the safari (and subsequently left the park) because her son was not feeling well after the second ride on EE. She didn’t end up telling me this story until weeks after we returned. I have asked her to look this over to see if she has anything to add or correct:

“I was in the shade waiting for M. to come out of the bathroom. I could see the entrance/exits to both the men’s and women’s rooms. There was a sign blocking the door to the ladies room saying the room was out of service. But I saw women leaving. They just weren’t letting people in. Then I saw a couple of park CMs come by with a VERY large animal carrier and go into the bathroom.”

Holy crap!

OK, great view of the lion!
::yes:: Maybe you didn't get to see the other animals quite as well, but this was a winner!

But even with this spectacular finale to the ride, I thought the safari was “meh”

Nevertheless, it was still an attraction that needed to be experienced.
True. Gotta do the Safari. Sorry it was a little bit less than a stellar experience.

A snake in the bathroom ... well that's pretty scary.

I hate when you get a bad safari. It's sad. But you still got some okay pictures - and your lion picture is awesome!

That is really scary. I don't think I'll be making any trips to that restroom in the future. :sad2:

That's really too bad. One of our best safari rides was late in the day, after five p.m. But the middle of a hot day can have boring animals, I guess. :(

Snakes never bothered me, anyway, but I don't think I would like to encounter one in the bathroom.

I have never done an afternoon safari. I have heard that is a good time. First thing in the morning has worked well for us, but once you get an hour or two into the day, the animals start chilling out, I think.

::yes::

great shot of the lion at least. I never paid attention before, but now I know to be on the left!

The animals are WAY better on the left side of the safari. The right side really gets ripped off.

I am really happy with the lion picture!

:thumbsup2

I've heard of
needing to "snake a toilet" but not to "de-snake a toilet".

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I wish I had thought of that!

That is really, REALLY funny! I grew up in a family of plumbers. My Pepere (grandfather) was a master plumber and my dad and uncle both had their plumber's licenses.

:laughing:

Yeah, I've gotten downright perturbed on the Safari when they won't slow down enough to let you take a non-shaky picture. And sometimes you're waiting for him to slow down just a little bit more, before taking the picture, ...and all of a sudden he gases it.

Great picture of the lion though!

I know you can't stop and watch the animals all day (unless you get stuck in a girafffic jam) but would it kill the drivers to stay in place for a millisecond after seeing something cool???

I lucked out with that lion!

:cool1:

Holy crap!

Scaly crap?

:goodvibes

::yes:: Maybe you didn't get to see the other animals quite as well, but this was a winner!

True. Gotta do the Safari. Sorry it was a little bit less than a stellar experience.

Unfortunately, our mediocre safari did not help bolster my insistence that the safari was a must do. Whatever. I got a rockin' lion picture.

:simba:

A snake in the bathroom ... well that's pretty scary.

I hate when you get a bad safari. It's sad. But you still got some okay pictures - and your lion picture is awesome!

You don't usually get better animal sightings in the rest rooms than on the safari!

Thanks! I am pretty happy with the lion shot.

:woohoo:

Last edited:
Going Back in Time: Dinosaur and 2012 Class Trip Flashback

Because of the second ride on Everest and the long wait for safari (more than an hour), we had to skip Kali River Rapids to make sure we could go on Dinosaur, catch the bus to Hollywood Studios and hit our Fast Pass for Tower of Terror.

We walked past the Tree of Life and on to Dinoland USA.

DSCF7590.jpg

DSCF7610.jpg

DSCF7591.jpg

The line for the attraction was sometime between 20-30 minutes. Once again, there was one boy who did not want to ride. I told him that we would all go through the line, and then he could bail when we got to the loading area.

DSCF7593.jpg

DSCF7596.jpg

DSCF7597.jpg

DSCF7598.jpg

However, things happened pretty quickly once we got to the ride vehicles, and he ended up getting “trapped” in the ride when the boy who was in front of him sat down in the jeep, so we were unable to cross through.

And the verdict? I don’t think the boy loved the ride, but it was fine.

How about Ben and me?

Group7Dino3%20-%20Copy.jpeg

Group7Dino3%20-%20Copy%202.jpeg

When we got out of the ride, I thought this would be an appropriate place for a photo of Ben and me, a nod to the low point of the class trip I took with Nate in 2012

DSCF7608.jpg

Flashback! Flashback! Flashback! “A Teen Reduces Me to Tears” June 2012

After our lunch, we headed toward Dinoland USA. Finding Nemo was starting in about 10 minutes, so I asked if any of the kids wanted to see the show. No takers. We all went to ride Dinosaur. Very short line, we were probably through the queue and boarding our time rovers in about 10 minutes.

P1110599_zpsf8b5189a.jpg

P1110603_zpsf5e9b12c.jpg

P1110608_zpsc2d0dda3.jpg

I rode with one boy from our group. Everyone else must have been ahead or behind us.

I mentioned earlier in my report that on the way to the AK bus that morning, I caught up with Nate and a friend of his, and told him at some point during the day I would like a picture of the two of us together. Nate scowled, looked at me and said “No”.

I told him that I’m serious, I want one picture.

We had just exited the Dinosaur ride and we were waiting around, probably for kids in the bathroom, so I thought it would be a good time to take the picture since we were not doing anything at the time. I called Nate over, he stood next to me and I handed my camera over to someone.

As the photo was taken, the boy who was with Nate this morning during our talk photobombed our picture.

P1110619_zps5710c40e.jpg

We took another- a different kid came up behind us.

P1110620-Copy2.jpg

At this point, Nate was done and I don’t blame him.

I am not a confrontational person, but this upset me so much that I decided to talk to each boy. I told the second photobomber I didn’t find his actions amusing or respectful. He apologized.

I found Nate’s friend and took him aside and told him the same thing, reminding him that he was there when I told Nate this was really important to me. I said that all of us were working really hard to make sure the kids had a great trip and this was the one thing I had asked for, and now because of what he did, I didn’t have a photo with Nate.

I asked him if he understood why I was upset and he said "Yes".

I asked him if he had anything else to say and he said "No".

I went behind a pole at Primeval Whirl and lost it.

I am not one who cries very often, but the stress of the past few days, lack of sleep, weight of responsibility I felt all came crashing down on me.

Although I tried to keep to myself, a couple of my fellow chaperones came by to see what was wrong, but I wasn’t really able to talk about it. I said it was ok, not anything that was a major issue, and I would be fine. A few minutes later, Nate found me and asked me what was wrong. I told him one of the kids upset me, it wasn’t him and he gave me a little hug and left me.

Eventually one of the chaperones came to talk to me and I was able to tell her what happened.

Once I had calmed down and could face everybody, either Nate or the chaperone suggested another picture. I was skeptical how I would look with red puffy eyes, but I wasn’t going to pass up the opportunity. These are the pictures we ended up with.

P1110641_zpsd8c0c08e.jpg

P1110640_zpse9849cc3.jpg

No, it is not the picture I posted at the beginning of the report. That was the second photobombed picture, with the boy cropped out. Apparently, he was not as “in” my photo as I believed.

P1110620-Copy_zps9fb3cc7f.jpg

So now I am going to repost the comments that Disneymomx7, Janetmom and bookgirl made about the photo I included at the beginning of my report.

Do I detect a little gritting of the teeth in your photo. Believe me I recognize that look all too well!!

Love the pic you chose. For you it seems to say "I'm in for Disney, but I'm worried they won't do it right, how can I improve things, I wonder if I can just manage to..." Nate of course is saying "hurry up, I don't want to have my picture taken standing beside my mom"

:rotfl2:

Love the title Dee!

Also cracking up at the Picture. I swear you can see the words in the bubble.

Mom, my friends are watching don't make me have to have photographic proof that you were here and we're related.

Quiet kid and take the picture, you owe me for labor, vacations, and the fact that I am living through your teenage drama without a Grey Goose Slushie..I want proof that I didn't lock you down in a buggy at Nemo and Friends"

J/K...I know from your trips that the boys are sweet and you guys get along great.

I'm hitting the I don't know you/ I'm tolerating your presence for the slushie money age with my nephews. The little boys who used to act out the storming of Omaha Beach just so they could snuggle up against me within 3 seconds of me sitting down, now give me the death stare if I so much as look like I might reach out to pat thier shoulder. Teenagers suck!

Wait a minute is that an old picture....I swear I see a thumb splint....didn't he get rid of that.

Kudos for your powers of observation, ladies! :worship:

And, bookgirl- the splint is gone again! He took it off a day or two before he entered high school and I have high hopes that we have seen the last of it!

Last edited:
There's always one, right? I get that there are people who don't like rides, but sheesh!

I'm sorry you went through that in 2012. Working with high schoolers, I'm constantly reminding myself that kids have different levels of maturity and not everyone is raised the same way. That's a cute picture of you and Ben. He sounds like a great kid.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of this trip.

A snake in the bathroom?!?! Nope.

I'm going to hide that piece of information from my mother at all costs. She'd never go in a Disney restroom again!

Hey, look at the lion! That's a rarity. Sorry the rest of your safari was a bit of a letdown, though.

Oh gosh, so sorry to hear about your last post-Dinosaur experience. Kids, teenage boys especially, can be....difficult, at times. They tend to live in their own little worlds and don't think about others as much as they should. I am really glad you got a second chance at the photos, though. (When people ask me why I take my kids to Disney when they are so young, my number one answer is always, "I want to take them as possible now, because I know once they're teenagers they're going to be sulky and not want to spend any time with me.")

Oh my Dee your and Ben's facial expressions are priceless on the Dinosaur ride :scared1::rotfl2::rotfl:
Gorgeous photo of you both at the end of the ride and emh yeah I remember Nate's trip and the antics of his classmates :( Enough said :(

I'm so glad that you were able to get a picture with Ben! What happened with Nate sounds like it was pretty rough, so I'm definitely glad to hear that you didn't have a repeat of that incident!

There's always one, right? I get that there are people who don't like rides, but sheesh!

I'm sorry you went through that in 2012. Working with high schoolers, I'm constantly reminding myself that kids have different levels of maturity and not everyone is raised the same way. That's a cute picture of you and Ben. He sounds like a great kid.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of this trip.

This kid was kind of a pain, didn't want to ride anything marginally fast. Test track is not scary in any way and he refused to ride that. I think I sat out Test Track with him and probably would have sat out Dino if he didn't get trapped.

That day in the past at AK was long and hot and tiring and I absolutely couldn't believe when the boy did not apologize. Punk! I volunteer at the high school library every week now and I see that boy come in. I give him dirty looks, in my mind.

:headache:

My relationship with Ben at that age is a lot different- he is not afraid to acknowledge that I am his mother. Nate didn't like how involved I was in his school, but Ben accepts that. I also know a lot Ben's friends better than I knew Nate's.

A snake in the bathroom?!?! Nope.

I'm going to hide that piece of information from my mother at all costs. She'd never go in a Disney restroom again!

Hey, look at the lion! That's a rarity. Sorry the rest of your safari was a bit of a letdown, though.

Oh gosh, so sorry to hear about your last post-Dinosaur experience. Kids, teenage boys especially, can be....difficult, at times. They tend to live in their own little worlds and don't think about others as much as they should. I am really glad you got a second chance at the photos, though. (When people ask me why I take my kids to Disney when they are so young, my number one answer is always, "I want to take them as possible now, because I know once they're teenagers they're going to be sulky and not want to spend any time with me.")

Ok, mum's the word on the ake-snay!

I was pretty excited to have such a great view of the lion. I have been on decent safaris before, so I didn't mind not seeing much, but I felt really badly for the boys who had not done it before.

Yes, kids at different ages present different experiences and interactions with their parents.

:cool2:

Oh my Dee your and Ben's facial expressions are priceless on the Dinosaur ride :scared1::rotfl2::rotfl:
Gorgeous photo of you both at the end of the ride and emh yeah I remember Nate's trip and the antics of his classmates :( Enough said :(

I can't believe how utterly terrified I looked. I don't remember if that was an act or if I was truly scared. But in any event, you will notice the camera still poised and at the ready!

Ben was really good about taking pictures with me when I asked, and I tried to be good about not asking too often.

There were a lot of tears on Nate's trip. My roommate cried every night. But that is a whole 'nother story.

:sad1:

I'm so glad that you were able to get a picture with Ben! What happened with Nate sounds like it was pretty rough, so I'm definitely glad to hear that you didn't have a repeat of that incident!

Ben knew about what happened with Nate, so he was very good about not repeating history.

:hug:

Last edited:
Good thing you got he picture with Ben. I guess I can understand teenagers being immature being around them all of the time.

Good thing you got he picture with Ben. I guess I can understand teenagers being immature being around them all of the time.

As you know, teens vary a HUGE amount in maturity. Adults too, for that matter (which I think you are witnessing in the Orange Banded Monkey report) but there can be an especially wide gap in middleschoolers and highschoolers.

And, bookgirl- the splint is gone again! He took it off a day or two before he entered high school and I have high hopes that we have seen the last of it!

haha so glad he finally put down the splint.

I had to go back and reread the post you quoted from me and laugh.

My nephews at now 16 1/2 show signs of being the boys I helped raise and love and not the hormonal aliens that body snatched them a few years ago.

The past few years have been hard. They turned into obnoxious, surly, snotty teens and I don't know that I got a decent picture of them even once in 2013 and 2014.

Cut to this last Christmas and they were a dream. Grateful for everything they got and in fact had changed into the clothes I bought them within the hour, appreciative and complimentary of food that my mom had made for dinner, they took photos, TWICE, and were cooperative to retakes, and if not big smiles every time, at least their were no scowls, and they did not fight, argue or make anyone cry. LOL Come to think of it their 16th birthday provided some decent pictures as well. I might keep them in my will at this point. (oh yeah and they have begun to initiate hugs again, at least on a limited basis)

Now that I know this is here, I'm going to go subscribe and read.

I can't believe how utterly terrified I looked. I don't remember if that was an act or if I was truly scared. But in any event, you will notice the camera still poised and at the ready!
You look really scared in that picture.

Ben was really good about taking pictures with me when I asked, and I tried to be good about not asking too often.
It's funny how different our kids can be. I'm glad Ben was understanding.

There were a lot of tears on Nate's trip. My roommate cried every night. But that is a whole 'nother story.
That sounds like you had a rough bunch of kids. Was Nate's class in general a tough group?

That is a pretty cool Moderator badge! I just noticed it, and just like your DIS articles, I was unsure if it was new or if it was always there and I just missed it. Are you responsible for a particular forum? I always wondered how that works. Do I need to be careful about what I post around you??? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter