Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

Up at 3am???? Yikes! :faint: You could have at least stayed in bed until the much more respectable hour of 5am. :rotfl2: That stinks that you can't sleep well on vacation. I went through a phase like that and it comes to bite me every once an awhile. Boo!

What a fun solo morning. I can't believe you wait was as long as it was for Mine Train. Well, at least it wasn't a full 60 minutes. Sounds the queue is a lot of fun. Maybe I'll try standby one of these trip.

Of COURSE you had to take pictures - its a disease, I tell you!

I love those huge mounds of fresh fruit for the kids. Did they actually eat all of it?

That was really nice that you got to spend some time in MK without the group. If I ever encounter the Mine Ride with less than a 30 minute stand by wait, then I'm going to go in it to see all the interactive stuff. I'd also like to see the standby line for Peter Pan, but that one is still too long. :faint:

I hope you were able to eat at Columbia Harbor House. I finally had a chance to try the salmon and it was delicious. We have hardly ever eaten at Cosmic Ray's - I don't know why. :confused3

Your life sounds busy lately! This is always such a busy time of year, but I do love the excitement that comes with all of summer still ahead. (although the weather doesn't feel like summer quite yet.)

Love all the pictures from Fantasyland since that is an area we haven't fully explored yet.

Do your kids schools do any major high school trips? (I'm concerned that you will not have a future outlet for your school trip organizing skills)

After showering, I stopped by the “breakfast room”. Part of the cost of the trip is the grab and go breakfast provided by the school staff. They make several trips to Sam’s Club for water, breakfast items, granola bars, etc. and set it up in the hallway outside some of the rooms on the 3 mornings we are going to the parks. They borrow a few mini-fridges from other rooms and some tables as well. During Nate’s trip and this one, my job was to prepare the fresh fruit- washing grapes and berries, cutting watermelon and strawberries.

View attachment 106116

View attachment 106117

View attachment 106118

View attachment 106121

View attachment 106119

View attachment 106123

View attachment 106120

I am Making a note of this. I think this would be great idea for our baseball team on morning of the games while we are there. We will have cars so I think us moms can handle getting this together 4 mornings.

How wonderful to have the morning hours all to yourself. I would've done exactly what you did. Too bad you couldn;t get there for rope drop, but you made good time.
Does someone sleep in the breakfast room too?

And I like how you told Mark you had an uneventful night. It's not a lie if you don't know it's not true, right?

I finally sent him a text when I was in the 7DMT line and he said that it was a good thing I was rooming with L, otherwise it might have been awkward. Although I am not really sure I gave him all the details, so I should have him read the chapter.

I like that there's fruit salad right next to the muffins (although they're blueberry muffins ... I guess that's healthy!)

The fresh fruit was really nice to have. I'm pretty sure it was consumed every day. I know I had a lot of fruit, and corn muffins and a banana every day.

Sounds cool! I enjoyed reading your description of it from your trip with Nate (and I totally agree on Stitch ... don't see why it exists, never felt a need to try it)

Thanks! The lessons in the class were good, but I was really disappointed that Stitch was one of the attractions. There were a lot of fun props that helped reinforce the lessons, like prisms, slinkies and some other things but because I don't want to post pictures of the other kids, I can't show those.

I think that's about the same travel time I had when I stayed at All-Star Sports ... so I guess that's about average for the All-Stars.

I think I took the bus to the parks 3 times- that morning, the last morning to AK and then that night to MK. The other day, when I had the class, we took the charter bus to EPCOT.

It's always a perfect time for the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train!
I think some of the interactive stuff on the line is cute, but nothing too special. I actually think the interactive stuff on the Winnie the Pooh line is better.
My favorite part is the spinning gems that project on the ceiling. That was actually a lot of fun.

I was glad I chose to ride, I figured the morning was all bonus time, so whatever I did was good.

I do that all the time. Never stops me. You did get some good pictures, though!

Thank you!

The other reason I took so many pictures is because I was solo. When I am riding with family, especially, I seem to get the evil-eye when I take photos on the rides. This time, there was nobody there to judge me.

:rotfl2:

Last edited:
Up at 3am???? Yikes! :faint: You could have at least stayed in bed until the much more respectable hour of 5am. :rotfl2: That stinks that you can't sleep well on vacation. I went through a phase like that and it comes to bite me every once an awhile. Boo!

What a fun solo morning. I can't believe you wait was as long as it was for Mine Train. Well, at least it wasn't a full 60 minutes. Sounds the queue is a lot of fun. Maybe I'll try standby one of these trip.

Of COURSE you had to take pictures - its a disease, I tell you!

Unfortunately, the 3 am thing is not unusual for me. I have no problem getting to sleep at night, but staying asleep is my issue. Once I wake up, I can't get back to sleep. So for me, having a long stretch of uninterrupted sleep (11 pm to 3 am) is really all I need to refresh. That, and coffee

:coffee:

I didn't mind waiting in line because I didn't feel any "pressure" to be commando. On this day.

"Hi. I'm Dee. I have a compulsion to take (non-flash) pictures on rides". "Hi Dee!"

Our first meeting will take place at Living with the Land.

;)

I love those huge mounds of fresh fruit for the kids. Did they actually eat all of it?

That was really nice that you got to spend some time in MK without the group. If I ever encounter the Mine Ride with less than a 30 minute stand by wait, then I'm going to go in it to see all the interactive stuff. I'd also like to see the standby line for Peter Pan, but that one is still too long. :faint:

I hope you were able to eat at Columbia Harbor House. I finally had a chance to try the salmon and it was delicious. We have hardly ever eaten at Cosmic Ray's - I don't know why. :confused3

The cut-up fruit was definitely eaten every day. I'm not sure about the apples and oranges.

I would say that 30 minutes would be about the maximum time one should wait for the Mine Train. I was curious about the new Peter Pan queue too. You may be interested in my next update!

Cosmic Rays is so hectic, and it seems like you have to go to different lines if you want different entrees, which scares me with a big group I am trying to keep track of. That being said, we did end up here during the trip, and I enjoyed my food and we were able to get seating all together. We had a pretty good method of getting seats, and other guests were even helpful to us when we were saving seats, offering to give us tables as they were getting ready to leave.

:cheer2:

Your life sounds busy lately! This is always such a busy time of year, but I do love the excitement that comes with all of summer still ahead. (although the weather doesn't feel like summer quite yet.)

Love all the pictures from Fantasyland since that is an area we haven't fully explored yet.

For me, busy is good, but it really has been overwhelming this spring. We usually travel in July, so the past several years I have also had trips to plan during this timeframe. But we are not going away until August this year so fortunately I still have some time.

I still have not explored much of New Fantastyland, but I have seen a heck of a lot more than I had prior to this trip!

::yes::

Do your kids schools do any major high school trips? (I'm concerned that you will not have a future outlet for your school trip organizing skills)

OK, I wasn't worried until I read this!

No major trips. The band usually has a trip (NYC), but Ben isn't going to be in band in High School. Very few field trips, and parents most definitely aren't involved.

I'll be helping out with the secret Graduation night celebrations for the next few years, so that will have to do.

And I will continue to help the middle school teachers with the Disney trip.

:goodvibes

I am Making a note of this. I think this would be great idea for our baseball team on morning of the games while we are there. We will have cars so I think us moms can handle getting this together 4 mornings.

It is definitely an efficient and relatively inexpensive way to feed a group. At some point I will gather all of the "Group Trip Travel Tips" in a single post.

:thumbsup2

How wonderful to have the morning hours all to yourself. I would've done exactly what you did. Too bad you couldn;t get there for rope drop, but you made good time.
Does someone sleep in the breakfast room too?

It was awesome!!!

I am ALWAYS there for rope drop, so it was tough for me to watch the minutes tick by. But I kept reminding myself that this was all bonus time.

party:

Two teachers stayed in that room, along with all the food and extra refrigerators. the tables stayed outside of the rooms. In past years, it was just one teacher in the "breakfast room", but she is retiring. This was her last year doing the Disney trip, and the other teacher roomed with her to learn the ropes.

:thumbsup2

Last edited:

Two teachers stayed in that room, along with all the food and extra refrigerators. the tables stayed outside of the rooms. In past years, it was just one teacher in the "breakfast room", but she is retiring. This was her last year doing the Disney trip, and the other teacher roomed with her to learn the ropes.
I just realized that "outside the room" meant outdoors. I forgot that you didn't have interior hallways. ;) Did your group have all of the rooms in a certain section?

I just realized that "outside the room" meant outdoors. I forgot that you didn't have interior hallways. ;) Did your group have all of the rooms in a certain section?

Yes, we had a block of rooms (around 50) all together. Our school is always in the Herbie section, way in the back, about as far as you can be from the lobby and food court of the resort.

The buffet was set up "outdoors" but I think the walkways are covered by a roof/ceiling so that is good.

I forgot to add the story told by one of the teachers who goes every year. He said one year, there were a couple of boys staying nearby that came over every morning and took some food. On the last day, the dad came by and asked if this was a Disney breakfast buffet. Mr. L said "No, we are a middle school class trip". The father turned beet red, but Mr. L said it was fine, they didn't mind sharing at all.

I forgot to add the story told by one of the teachers who goes every year. He said one year, there were a couple of boys staying nearby that came over every morning and took some food. On the last day, the dad came by and asked if this was a Disney breakfast buffet. Mr. L said "No, we are a middle school class trip". The father turned beet red, but Mr. L said it was fine, they didn't mind sharing at all.

At least the father came by to see if Disney really was giving away free food. :upsidedow:upsidedow

That is quite the setup in the breakfast room. Definitely makes sense to go buy food in bulk and have it waiting in a semi-assembly line for the kids to wake up. I was pleasantly surprised at the variety you guys had available for everyone. Fresh, pre-cut fruit for the taking...nice perk.

A free morning in the MK! And even better, you got the chance to do whatever you wanted without worrying about anybody else. Traveling with loved ones is the best, but sometimes...getting some solo park time is the most enjoyable part of a trip! (I would never have said that before I had kids, but now...:rolleyes1)

Standby lines go by so much faster when you have nice people to chat with. That boy sounded very happy to show you all the interactive items.

Dee, I seldom come here anymore, but there are a few TR's I want to try to stay up with and yours is one of them.

3 a.m.? And you don't have a flight? Oh that would drive me insane!

How nice that you put that stuff out for the boys on park days. I was just going to ask if you ever found anyone else just "helping" themselves and then you explained it. How nice of you to all share.

Some alone park time...you can't beat that.

And you got to ride Mine Ride (I still haven't done the standby line and believe that is the first time I've actually seen pictures of the activities). It's always nice when you run into someone in line to have a conversation with to pass the time.

At least the father came by to see if Disney really was giving away free food. :upsidedow:upsidedow

When we were there for Nate's trip, the breakfast was set up on the bottom floor, but at the back of the resort. This year it was on the second floor, so it would have been more difficult for other guests to chance upon our breakfast.

That is quite the setup in the breakfast room. Definitely makes sense to go buy food in bulk and have it waiting in a semi-assembly line for the kids to wake up. I was pleasantly surprised at the variety you guys had available for everyone. Fresh, pre-cut fruit for the taking...nice perk.

A free morning in the MK! And even better, you got the chance to do whatever you wanted without worrying about anybody else. Traveling with loved ones is the best, but sometimes...getting some solo park time is the most enjoyable part of a trip! (I would never have said that before I had kids, but now...:rolleyes1)

Standby lines go by so much faster when you have nice people to chat with. That boy sounded very happy to show you all the interactive items.

The breakfast set-up was one of the things that most impressed me about the organization of this trip. Convenient and cost-effective. And yes, fresh fruit. Although cutting up a watermelon in the small vanity area and washing all of the fruit in the bathroom sink is not easy!

I love, love, love solo park time!

It was great talking to that boy. I probably should have said I would ride with him, but I couldn't really get a read from the dad about whether he was ready to be rid of me or not.

;)

Dee, I seldom come here anymore, but there are a few TR's I want to try to stay up with and yours is one of them.

3 a.m.? And you don't have a flight? Oh that would drive me insane!

How nice that you put that stuff out for the boys on park days. I was just going to ask if you ever found anyone else just "helping" themselves and then you explained it. How nice of you to all share.

Some alone park time...you can't beat that.

And you got to ride Mine Ride (I still haven't done the standby line and believe that is the first time I've actually seen pictures of the activities). It's always nice when you run into someone in line to have a conversation with to pass the time.

I truly do appreciate you sticking around!

"Woozy to bed, Early to rise"

Yes, I was glad someone asked about other guests joining our "buffet"
Alone time is great, especially when the option is being with a gang of teenaged boys!

I seriously would not normally wait more than 30 minutes standby for this. Even with the activities.

But I'm glad I waited and I had a lot of fun talking to the young man in line. He was fun and had a lot of energy!

:goodvibes:

Signing on Dee. Haven't read anything yet, but this'll get it on the Watch List!

:welcome:

I'm so glad you are here.

Thanks for joining in!

:woohoo:

A New Way to Experience a Classic Favorite

I have had a long-standing rule that is one of the most important tips I shared with people who were planning a visit to the Magic Kingdom:

“DO NOT GET INTO THE STAND-BY LINE FOR PETER PAN!”

The line is long.

The queue is boring.

And very hot.

The wait time posted is a LIE!

It’s not that I don’t love this ride. I do! Flying over London and scenes from Neverland is magical. Peter Pan was one of the first videos Nate watched. My boys were both in the play Peter Pan- Nate as lost boy Curley and Ben as the crocodile, so this story has a special place in my heart.

Peter Pan.JPG

P4180268.JPG

But I have always recommended either going on this attraction first thing in the morning when it is a walk-on or getting a Fast Pass.

However, sometime last year, a new interactive queue was added to this attraction. Although the wait time was posted as 65 minutes (and I would be testing whether it was a lie), I decided now was a good time for me to check it out!

DSCF6670.JPG

DSCF6671.JPG

I did take a picture of practically everything in the line, but I won’t be posting it all. A lot of my pictures of pictures came out blurry.

The queue starts out with a narrow hallway with lots of pictures depicting the story of Peter Pan, Hook and Neverland.

DSCF6675.JPG

DSCF6676.JPG

DSCF6682.JPG

DSCF6683.JPG

DSCF6686.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Continued from Previous Post

Then you are outside (looking in) at the Darling house.

DSCF6689.JPG

I took pictures of Nana the dog to send to my friend J. (L’s husband) who was an awesome Nana in the show the boys did.

Nana1.jpg

Next you enter the house and see some family portraits and there is a beautiful view of London from the window.

DSCF6693.JPG

DSCF6692.JPG

Nana2.jpg

DSCF6696.JPG

DSCF6699.JPG

DSCF6698.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
If I was solo I would definitely try out the new Peter Pan queue :)

We did Peter Pan as our first ride on our MK day in May right after breakfast. We were the first ones in line and went through the new queue. Unfortunately, I didn't get tons of pictures (I got a few) as I didn't want to hold everyone up behind us. I missed the pixie dust thing...guess we will have to do it again next week.

Peter Pan's standby wait time is crazy. No matter how many times I go through Fantasyland and see the times posted, I still can't believe a dark ride would be in such high demand. I am like you and only go on the attraction if I have a FP.
That being said, the interactive queue does look really cool and your description of the pixie dust at the end makes me want to check it out. I guess if you've already stood in line for the Mine Train, why not add Peter Pan to the list...

Then you enter the kids’ bedrooms.

That is where you encounter some interactive things. There is a wall where you use your shadows to make butterflies fly and ring bells. You also watch Tinkerbelle go from place to place in the rooms.

DSCF6726.JPG

DSCF6729.JPG

DSCF6731.JPG

You can "see" Tink on the bureau and then on the hat box:

DSCF6737.JPG

DSCF6738.JPG

Finally, you are at the light at the end of the tunnel, where you are sprinkled with pixie dust from the light fixtures. This was a seriously cool effect!!!

DSCF6742.JPG

DSCF6740.JPG

My companions in line were an older couple who complained about how long the wait was and kept asking me how much longer it would be. I had no idea since it was my first time in the interactive line, but I assured them that this was MUCH better than it used to be!

There was a family of 5 behind me. The teenaged daughter was also taking pictures of everything in line, so I liked her. The dad didn’t really have a plan for the day and were discussing what they were going to do next. Their plan was to check out Pirates of the Caribbean. I was torn about what to do. Do I tell them that Pirates had just gone down for a multi-month refurbishment? I hadn’t seen it myself at this point, so I was still holding out hope that maybe the work on Pirates was postponed, but I did end up telling them that Pirates was likely closed.

Continued in Next Post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter