Travelling to/from CDG to DLH

MrsSDW

Mouseketeer
Hi, folks - hope everyone is still in one piece after last night's storms!

It's 7 weeks to our trip and I'm now thinking about transfers to/from the airport (CDG) to our hotel. Travel party is me, my DH and 4-yo DD. I know there's info in the sticky threads and this has been discussed before but now that I'm in the actual moment of having to do something about it I've come over all faint-hearted and pathetic. Please help me, oh good and wise people of the DISboard! :worship:

I'm pretty set on getting a private shuttle from the airport to our hotel as this seems to be the least stressful way of doing things, even if it's not the cheapest. I've read good things on here about John at Ezyshuttle. Has anyone used his services recently? Would you recommend that I go ahead and book? If so, how do I do this? And what about a proper child seat, not just one of the wee booster things?

Flight back home is at 17.40. I was thinking about the fast train (TVR?). What sort of time would I have to get the train in order to be on time for our homeward check-in? Do I have to book tickets in advance? And is the train reliable wrt service - I'd hate to be stuck on the train if it broke down, sitting there sweating and panicking about missing the flight. Might I be safer to just do the shuttle on the way back again?

As you can tell from this ramble, it is causing me grief! This is my DD's first trip away (all our holidays up to this point have been UK-based where we've driven door-to-door) so I'm keen for all to go smoothly. I envy people who can simply sling some clean socks/pants in a rucksack and merrily skip off on their travels!

Thank you all very much indeed. :)

I've used Ezyshuttle and found them reliable. I've also used RS/BS tranports and they were equally as good.

I don't think you'd fit a family of 3 in a TVR, most of them are 2 seaters! ;)

The TGV is the train you'd want. It takes about 10 minutes to get to CDG. You can buy tickets online (www.raileurope.co.uk) or at the station. I believe it normally costs more at the station.

We've only used the TGV a few times and it was always on time.

If it was me, I'd just get a private shuttle back. It's so much easier! The last thing you want to do at the end of a trip is stress about catching a train.

I can't help with ezyshuttle, but they do get very good reviews from other Dis'ers :).

The TGV I can help with.
For a 17.40 flight, you'd want a 15.30 TGV or thereabouts. Its 10 minutes journey, if its delayed at all (which is rare in my experience) its usually no more than about 10 minutes delay. I book our tickets in advance, about a fortnight before we go to DLP. I find it really easy to do.

We have done 6 trips in the last couple of years and have always used ezyshuttle, never had any issues or problems with them.

You just email John with your details, flight numbers, times, your hotel and how many in your party. info@ezyshuttle.com

We have a DS now 5 but 3 on his first trip, we now use the booster seats but they have both, just tell him the age of your child and that if possible you would prefer the full seat.

We have never used any other transport but door to door is great, on your way back DLH will keep your luggage if you have a later flight and you can spend extra time in the parks.

Sure you will love DLH and the parks at Christmas season, I love the Christmas stuff at Dlp and love staying in the DLH especially in the winter. Your DD will have a magical time.

It can be pretty stressful, I found taking your child for the first time as I wanted to be sure of every detail before I went but it was all fine.

Any more questions feel free to ask. x

I'd be getting the TGV back as it's only 10 minutes and they are very reliable. Rail services in France are nothing like those in the UK in all aspects.

The shuttle services are dependant of road traffic and all you need is an accident and you are stuck.

Also depending on the time of your flight and the day you can hit normal rush hour traffic which can be stressful when you have to get somewhere. :)

The last time we used TGV they were delayed by 1 and a half hours.

I guess we were just unlucky!!

If you want ezyshuttle you'd better email him, he books up very fast.

I've used RS transports and the tgv in the past and I prefer the shuttle. Much more convenient.

We have just got back and used RS Transports both ways. They were on time, found us easily, had a card with our name on and were pleasant and helpful. It's the second time we have used them and I would definitely use them again.

Thanks, everyone, as always! I've just emailed John at Ezyshuttle to book him for the airport-hotel trip. Naturally, I am now panicking that I've left it too late and he's fully booked, so keep your fingers crossed for me. Still undecided about the hotel-airport leg wrt shuttle vs train.

On a scale of 1-10 (where 1 is as easy as booking yet another trip to DLP when there's a 50%-off flash sale on, and 10 is the easiness of resisting!!!), how easy is the TGV to navigate? I imagine we'll have two suitcases and my DD's small Trunki, plus a couple of rucksacks. Which, of course, is a ridiculous amount of luggage for a 4-night trip but that's another story!!!

Merci beaucoup (see, I'm getting in some practice!!!) ;)

I would not reccomend RS Transports, we used them last week on a shared shuttle and although they were on time (early) picking us up to get to the hotel, the return journey was hell. They were an hour and a half late picking us up without ringing to explain, and then he drove past the airport and got half way to a different airport before turning around and driving VERY fast and dangerously on the hard shoulder to get us back to the proper airport when he realised. We made check in by 30 seconds to go but it was absolutely terrifying.

Thanks, everyone, as always! I've just emailed John at Ezyshuttle to book him for the airport-hotel trip. Naturally, I am now panicking that I've left it too late and he's fully booked, so keep your fingers crossed for me. Still undecided about the hotel-airport leg wrt shuttle vs train.

On a scale of 1-10 (where 1 is as easy as booking yet another trip to DLP when there's a 50%-off flash sale on, and 10 is the easiness of resisting!!!), how easy is the TGV to navigate? I imagine we'll have two suitcases and my DD's small Trunki, plus a couple of rucksacks. Which, of course, is a ridiculous amount of luggage for a 4-night trip but that's another story!!!

if you're determined to take all that luggage - then use a shuttle instead of the TGV :). I find it too easy to resist on the DLP-CDG leg of the journey, but my DD is older than yours, and we only take one small case each, and my handbag.

Thanks, Elaine. Suitcases will be quite small with handles for pulling them along, and the rucksacks are in lieu of handbags so they're just wee things. Maybe I can/should persuade my DD to leave her beloved Trunki behind.....

Cassie - what a nightmare, that sounds really stressful and scary. Sorry to hear you had such a rotten end to your holiday.

Yay! Got a very quick reply from John so have booked Ezyshuttle for our trip from the airport. Phew, that's one thing done. :thumbsup2

How much is the TGV for the 3 of you? I am fairly sure a private shuttle at 70 euros (one way) is not far off what it will cost us (but we are a family of 4). With a 7 yo and 4 yo and lots of luggage, it's just too much for us to navigate a train too!

We use John too - never let us down and is always courteous. In the past he has had several types of car seat for us to choose too which is useful.

We have our booking sorted already with John for November (in fact it was the first thing I did once I booked flights many months ago).

It's not too hard to navigate. The problem is you'll have to make your way to the train station and then when you get off at CDG you'll possibly have to get another train to your terminal.

With the shuttle you'll get picked up from the hotel reception and dropped off at your terminal. It's so much easier!

We use John every time! He's always there waiting (or one of his drivers) with a variety of car seats and boosters to choose from. They provide excellent service and for the peace of mind and ease when travelling with small children they are worth every Euro.

does john drive fast?

I don't know about John but I know I've read some of his drivers or the companies that he contracts out do.

I think a lot of people don't realise that the style of driving here is different to what you will find back home and that the way people drive in Paris isn't like how they drive elsewhere in France. It takes some getting used to I'll admit.

Of course there is no excuse for speeding and dangerous driving ever :sad2:

Glad you are sorted.

Saw your luggage list. No buggy? Our DS would not be seen dead in his buggy here but we take it on every trip to dlp and he uses it. Just a thought.

x

I think I'll plump for a shuttle on the way back too. What time would you recommend we get picked up in time for a 17:40 flight, allowing for plenty of extra time?

Wmoon - no buggy. I thought about it but she hasn't used one for a good 18 months now so I couldn't be bothered with the hassle given that she'd probably turn her nose up at it. She's used to walking loads anyway (we live in the country and have a dog) so I think she'll be fine. If not, we could rent one or she can always pop on her daddy's shoulders for a quick rest. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter