Travel Warning

DH and I had a trip planned to WDW for 9/14/2001 flying out of the Boston airport, Logan. We agonized for days about whether or not to cancel, both because of fear of flying and because we just really weren't in a celebratory mood. We ultimately decided that we would go because otherwise the bad guys win. We couldn't leave until 9/16 b/c Logan was closed even longer than other airports, but we did it. It was such a healing experience.

My company has a motivational speaker come in that I've heard several times who used to work for Disney. He said that Disney has eyes on every single person and you've been eyed and evaluated for risk by at least 3 people before even getting to bag check. Their security is top notch and, like someone else said, there is far more security that you don't see than security you do see.

DH and I were supposed to fly to Berlin on Wednesday, 9/12/2001. Well, that didn't happen, but we did get to fly out on Sunday. We had to cut out the Dresden and Prague parts of our trip, but we still got to spend ~2.5 weeks and go to Berlin, Munich, Austria, the Rhine, and Amsterdam. It was a great trip, and we didn't feel unsafe at all, except for the flight out when some guy was laughing at the 9/11 news coverage in the airport:scared1: We assumed he must have been laughing about something else. Getting flights back was hard; we spent a lot of time on the phone, since they kept canceling and changing things. Security back was tough. We got interviewed 3 separate times in Amsterdam and had to go through 3 or 4 metal detectors and bag scanners. They wanded us once we were back in the states, and something, my bra I guess, kept triggering the wand. I ended up getting thoroughly patted down underneath my shirt:( At least the woman doing it was more upset than I was. I don't regret the trip. We will be leaving in a week with DS to experience the German Christmas markets for the first time. I am very excited and not the least bit worried about what could happen.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum... Cancelling existing plans hasn't crossed my mind, but recent events have me wishing I could push up our 2017 European trip because I'm worried that if the global situation continues on the track it is on, traveling overseas may become much, much more difficult in the year and a half between now and then. If money and vacation time were no object we'd be going next summer, even though the trip is intended to be my HS junior's graduation gift.

I'm worried that if the global situation continues on the track it is on, traveling overseas may become much, much more difficult in the year and a half between now and then.
I have this concern, but hope things improve. We plan to rebook our trip for next year.

I'm where I needed to be. We had two unexpected deaths in the family. One the week we were leaving and another the following week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter