Travel Warning

Maybe it's because I've always lived in major cities (NY, Philadelphia) and you just learn early how to be aware but I'm no more concerned than when I move about in Manhattan on the train.

I'm still continuing my plans to travel to france and Germany next June or July
We cancelled out trip last weekend (with a very heavy heart). We were due to arrive in Budapest yesterday and wrap up in Germany. Our decision wasn't based on fear. There's just too much uncertainty at this time. I hope your trip goes smoothly.

I'm more concerned about the lone gunman(woman) regardless whether they be white,black, brown, orange, pink or any other pigmentation there is out there who shoot up malls, schools or workplaces. Sorry for the rant, but skin color is no concern to me; a lunatic with a gun is. But like you, I will also continue to travel the way I always have.

No joke! Thanks for saying that.

I'm headed to the Czech Republic this summer. We're renting an apartment for 2 weeks. We have decided to probably stay within the country instead of making short trips to neighboring countries because I'd hate to make a 1-2 day trip to Germany, have something happen and then be unable to get back to my home base for several days. I'm sure I can find plenty to get me busy for a couple of weeks.

I'm more concerned about the lone gunman(woman) regardless whether they be white,black, brown, orange, pink or any other pigmentation there is out there who shoot up malls, schools or workplaces. Sorry for the rant, but skin color is no concern to me; a lunatic with a gun is. But like you, I will also continue to travel the way I always have.

Meh, The stats don't lie, irregardless of political correctness.

Meh, The stats don't lie, irregardless of political correctness.

Meh, statistics can be used in many ways. An Example would be of the number of accidents happening close to home... Makes sense about 75% of travel is within 15 miles of the home and statistics show that 77% of all accidents happen in that distance. As for shootings; the percentage of whites and mass shootings is in direct correlation to the overall population. 64% of all mass shootings are done by white males, 16% by black males and 9% by Asian males. The population of said groups is 63% white, 13% black and 5% Asian. These percentages would seem to be in direct unison of the population. At the end of 2012 over the last 30 years there were 70 mass shootings with 543 killed for an average of 18 deaths per year; One is 3X more likely to be struck by lightning. Yes, you are more likely to be a victim of a mass shooting by a white male but that is because there are so many more of them in this country. But with that said I'm sure we both can agree that even one life lost because of a wacko with a gun regardless of his or her color is one life too many.

I could care less about political correctness and actually hate the word and how it's overused. But with the population at 318.9 million in the United States your chances of walking out of Starbucks sipping your $7 Latte and $4 scone are pretty good for you to live to repeat it again tomorrow and the day after and the day after that for all the days of your life until you shut your eyes for good due to old age or disease. Those statistics if there is such a thing would be staggeringly in your favor.

Last edited:
I'm headed to the Czech Republic this summer. We're renting an apartment for 2 weeks. We have decided to probably stay within the country instead of making short trips to neighboring countries because I'd hate to make a 1-2 day trip to Germany, have something happen and then be unable to get back to my home base for several days. I'm sure I can find plenty to get me busy for a couple of weeks.
I'd feel comfortable with your plans. I also agree with your reasoning.

DH and I had a trip planned to WDW for 9/14/2001 flying out of the Boston airport, Logan. We agonized for days about whether or not to cancel, both because of fear of flying and because we just really weren't in a celebratory mood. We ultimately decided that we would go because otherwise the bad guys win. We couldn't leave until 9/16 b/c Logan was closed even longer than other airports, but we did it. It was such a healing experience.

My company has a motivational speaker come in that I've heard several times who used to work for Disney. He said that Disney has eyes on every single person and you've been eyed and evaluated for risk by at least 3 people before even getting to bag check. Their security is top notch and, like someone else said, there is far more security that you don't see than security you do see.

What uncertainty?
Life goes on. I feel attitudes like yours are exactly what the terrorists want. For everyday people to be so scared are everything.
Why do you automatically assume there was only one reason and that it was fear?

No, I'm not worried. Even with the alert (and it is officially a travel "alert", not a "warning", which is more specific & severe) we're many times more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the airport than be the victims of a terrorist attack. I'm an elementary school teacher, but Sandy Hook didn't make me rethink my profession. I refuse to sit around at home and not fully enjoy my family's precious vacation time by being cowed by terrorists. Life involves risk, but the biggest risk is simply failing to live it fully because of our fears.

Last edited:
All of us are much more likely to be injured or killed in a car accident or by random shooters than by terrorists (putting aside for a minute whether we should also be calling the random shooters terrorists). I do understand the impulse to change behavior after one of these attacks. I live in NYC and the day after the Paris attack I was more skittish than usual on the subway. And there was a nagging fear in the back of my mind at the Thanksgiving Day Parade. And even all these years after 9/11 I am still not used to -- will never be used to -- seeing military style police officers around NYC.

But you have to keep on living. There is nothing else to do. The alternative is to crawl under a rock and wait....for a sense of security that will never come. The reality is that this is the world we live in.

Maybe it is a different perspective living in NYC. After all, just about any place in the U.S. is a less likely target....

All of us are much more likely to be injured or killed in a car accident or by random shooters than by terrorists (putting aside for a minute whether we should also be calling the random shooters terrorists). I do understand the impulse to change behavior after one of these attacks. I live in NYC and the day after the Paris attack I was more skittish than usual on the subway. And there was a nagging fear in the back of my mind at the Thanksgiving Day Parade. And even all these years after 9/11 I am still not used to -- will never be used to -- seeing military style police officers around NYC.

But you have to keep on living. There is nothing else to do. The alternative is to crawl under a rock and wait....for a sense of security that will never come. The reality is that this is the world we live in.

Maybe it is a different perspective living in NYC. After all, just about any place in the U.S. is a less likely target....

And that's it in a nutshell. it does make one pause when you see armed soldiers on the streets.

For me its very very simple, I have basically two choices 1) stop doing the things I love or 2) be as careful as I can, try to live fully every day and keep my faith.

I actually only have one, living life without the things that bring me joy is not living. can't do it.

I'm heading into the city this weekend to take some pictures of the window displays.

We cancelled out trip last weekend (with a very heavy heart). We were due to arrive in Budapest yesterday and wrap up in Germany. Our decision wasn't based on fear. There's just too much uncertainty at this time. I hope your trip goes smoothly.
Sorry to hear that tlsnell,hopefully your feel more comfortable later on.

May I ask, what do you mean by "uncertainty"??

All of us are much more likely to be injured or killed in a car accident or by random shooters than by terrorists (putting aside for a minute whether we should also be calling the random shooters terrorists). I do understand the impulse to change behavior after one of these attacks. I live in NYC and the day after the Paris attack I was more skittish than usual on the subway.

Yes everyone should be worried about car accidents. Driving is very dangerous and people don't take it nearly seriously enough.

Just got back from Budapest Saturday, with connections both ways through Brussels. I was a little nervous, but trip went smoothly. Very impressed with the public transportation in Budapest. We took the train to Vienna and it was nice too (but more expensive!)

Sorry to hear that tlsnell,hopefully your feel more comfortable later on.

May I ask, what do you mean by "uncertainty"??
I'm running late, but here re my posts from http://www.disboards.com/threads/explosions-and-shootings-in-paris.3463238/page-53

I

This played a part in cancelling our upcoming trip. We were supposed to fly out Thursday evening. I was originally concerned with disruptions in transportation, border hassles, protests, etc., over the migrant crisis. We contacted friend, who's family lives in the region we were to visit. The information, regarding tourist sites, especially Christmas markets put a damper on our plan. Although, the situation in Belgium pushed me into the final decision to cancel.

We were flying into Budapest with visits to Cracow, Salzburg and the last week based in Munich.

I used Oktoberfest to kind of gauge, whether or not, travel would be disrupted in Munich and Salzburg. (You provided train info) It seemed to move along fine. Paris shook me, but still didn't change our plans. The chemical weapons and locking Belgium down, made me think again. I don't know, how many saw the interview with little Brandon and his father in Paris...about the flowers. His conversation with Anderson Cooper affected me. So much going on... A vacation seemed a bit unimportant.

I'm happy the markets are bustling. We love the relaxed, festive atmosphere. Some of the warnings from the State Department are the same info, I received from my friend's family...before this was issued by the SD. Pretty much ruined the mood. I sat down and cancelled our trip last Saturday.

I just booked a March vacation to London and Paris. Terrorism is a risk, but after living in Washington, DC for 20 years, it is a risk that I am accustomed to. The way that I look at it, thousands of Americans went to Iraq and Afghanistan to fight the terrorists, and I should not feel afraid to take advantage of the freedoms that they risked their lives for. The terrorists win when people change their lifestyles out of fear.

Just got back from Budapest Saturday, with connections both ways through Brussels. I was a little nervous, but trip went smoothly. Very impressed with the public transportation in Budapest. We took the train to Vienna and it was nice too (but more expensive!)
I'm glad you had a wonderful time! I've never been to Budapest, but LOVE Vienna.

We were supposed to be leaving Budapest tonight on a train to Crakow. I wasn't concerned about Budapest or Crakow and didn't have trouble booking to/from either of these destinations. Although, I had problems with the rest of our itinerary (purchasing train tickets online).

Between MCO and park security I feel reasonably secure at WDW. You can never be completely safe anywhere, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter