Travel agents’ commission cut by Disney Cruise Line

You've made my point. The TA does not care as much about my vacation as I do. Given that the TA cannot save me money or get me things that I can't save or get for myself, there's no point in using one. She may have been honest as the day is long, but I got the information she lacked in about 30 minutes on the DIS. She not only didn't know, she insisted it was impossible to do... the thing I called Disney and did over the phone with no fuss. That means she could not be trusted to have accurate information or to have put in the research time to get it. She had already decided that she knew what she knew and both DISers and CMs knew better. Using a TA for this trip would have meant acting on bad information about my room, not getting the ADRs and FP+ I wanted and not saving any money in the process of getting a lesser experience than I can by doing some research myself. (Plus, then I wouldn't know all these lovely DISers.)

Nobody will care as much about your vacation as you do, though I typically get excited about everybody's trip :). Its just like your kids - they might have the best teachers in the world, but nobody cares about your kids as much as you do. I have local clients and a good reputation, so there's a lot of motivation to take good care of my clients. I lose sleep worrying over my clients' trips - I care a lot. Does it mean I don't care if I don't always stay up until midnight for fastpasses? I will say, there are some very wonderful home agents that may do that for their clients.

I'm not advocating for you to use a TA. Not everybody has a landscaper either! My only point is that for some people of all ages and experience levels, it is a valuable partnership.

If I had a TA that wouldn't even make a phone call for information, I wouldn't be happy either. As far as the DIS, I share these forums and several other websites with my clients. An educated consumer is a good thing, and these are great forums. I like to share my knowledge and my resources.

Here are a few things I've recently done for clients: advocated with Disney to fix a mistake on their MDE (that the rep didn't want to fix), arranged for champagne and rose petals in a Riviera Maya resort, monitored Southwest flights for rate drops, checked clients into their flights, found a good cruise deal for Christmas break, mailed a Disney surprise package to a family a month out from their trip, found a last minute BOG reservation (after trying for weeks), and researched the menus and reviews for the new Disney Springs restaurants. I love this partnership. I have the best job in the world!

I hope you have a wonderful time on your upcoming trip. You will love the Hoop Dee Doo!

We have our first family trip coming up in April and I decided to use a TA that is recommended by the DIS. Seems like a no-brainer to me, doesnt cost me anything and I can use for as much or as little as I need. She has been fantastic with the communication, does not matter the day or time.

Because you are using a TA does not mean that you do not do any planning. You still have to do a lot of research. But it is nice not having to deal with making the resort reservations. The ADRs were simple I gave her a list of restaurants and the general times we like to eat and she filled every ADR. She also booked Pirates and Pals which was not easy because the schedule had not opened up but she checked each day and finally got it.

I have my own office so not having to deal with those little things is well worth it to me. But if you use a TA you still have to be involved and of course check on MDE that the reservations are there etc. Maybe I just got lucky with a great TA, wish the rules would allow me to disclose her but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Disney trips are fairly easily planned by the traveler...especially if they have a little prior experience.

For first timers or those who aren't into planning...a travel agent is a nice option.

As far as agent commission goes...it's sad to see them trimming commissions...

Because I have no qualms about saying that I feel DCL is about a 25% overcharge now.

Why? Honestly while they are nice and have a certain unique appeal...I don't feel the service or food quality is a justification for the average cruise costing twice what a royal Caribbean or similar good rep cruiseline would. And I think that's what they are charging.

I hear people say "nobody does it like Disney"...well, in an amusement park I agree...not on a ship.

I hear people say "nobody does it like Disney"...well, in an amusement park I agree...not on a ship.
Well most people think DCL is the best for families especially when it comes to kids clubs. My uncle is a regular on RCCL and loves it. My family of five has wanted to do DCL but over 10,000 doesnt seem worth it when we could spend half of that for a week at WDW.

We're starting to plan a cruise for summer 2017 on DCL. Since we've never cruised before, and have never been to the Caribbean - and especially with the prospect of an onboard credit - I'm tempted to use a TA. But I'm also hesitant because:

- We've always planned all our own vacations (to WDW, and to over 15 different countries), and find it quite easy. I honestly don't understand how people can be so 'overwhelmed' with making ADRs and FP+ reservations - I get not having time (my husband is in that same boat), but I think it's a fairly easy process. Additionally, I don't understand why anyone would need a TA to find them restaurants/hotels/attractions - simply use Google or a well-known travel website (not sure if I'm allowed to mention their name) and you can find both expert and customer ratings, reviews, pictures, price ranges, etc. Likewise, kayak and other websites make finding flights extraordinarily easy (and include options to search + or - up to 3 days from selected departure and return dates; and show price trends).

- I've read multiple 'horror stories' about bad TAs (TAs not responding, giving bad information, etc). Before our most recent WDW trip (May 2015), I contacted two different, well-known TAs that specialize in Disney vacations (since this was our first time going to WDW since FP+ and Magic bands were introduced). Only one of the companies made even cursory contact after our initial inquiry - that doesn't exactly impart much confidence that they will respond to requests if we were to book a vacation with them.

I'm really not sure if booking through a TA is worth the onboard credit.

We're starting to plan a cruise for summer 2017 on DCL. Since we've never cruised before, and have never been to the Caribbean - and especially with the prospect of an onboard credit - I'm tempted to use a TA. But I'm also hesitant because:

- We've always planned all our own vacations (to WDW, and to over 15 different countries), and find it quite easy. I honestly don't understand how people can be so 'overwhelmed' with making ADRs and FP+ reservations - I get not having time (my husband is in that same boat), but I think it's a fairly easy process. Additionally, I don't understand why anyone would need a TA to find them restaurants/hotels/attractions - simply use Google or a well-known travel website (not sure if I'm allowed to mention their name) and you can find both expert and customer ratings, reviews, pictures, price ranges, etc. Likewise, kayak and other websites make finding flights extraordinarily easy (and include options to search + or - up to 3 days from selected departure and return dates; and show price trends).

- I've read multiple 'horror stories' about bad TAs (TAs not responding, giving bad information, etc). Before our most recent WDW trip (May 2015), I contacted two different, well-known TAs that specialize in Disney vacations (since this was our first time going to WDW since FP+ and Magic bands were introduced). Only one of the companies made even cursory contact after our initial inquiry - that doesn't exactly impart much confidence that they will respond to requests if we were to book a vacation with them.

I'm really not sure if booking through a TA is worth the onboard credit.
While I haven't used them personally I haven't heard a bad thing about Dreams Unlimited which is owned by the same people who run the Disboards.

While I knew a lot about Disney, the vacation I planned for the entire family way back in 2003, I went with Dreams Unlimited. The agent I dealt with was fantastic. We booked the all stars at first and wanted a breakfast in the castle with some shows, etc. At one point, I got an email code and about the same time I was letting DU know I had it, I got an email saying that the discount code was available and did I wish to try to take advantage of it. Well the next day, I has 2 rooms at AKL for 5 days for $200 less than 2 rooms at ASM for 5 days. She did all of our ressies and got us a Cinderella castle breakfast. I have nothing but good to say about DU.

Not sure if I would use them again simply because I know a whole lot more and have more time available to plan (when I decide it's time to go back) but then again, with FP+ and 180 day windows, I could be persuaded.

4) I'm not convinced that a travel agent no longer charges you no more than than you would pay if you booked on your own, especially for hotels.

That very much depends. If you're looking for a package of airfare, hotel, car rental, etc, then often TAs can beat your online prices as they may have bulk rates on some or all of those service, and can afford to cut you deals you wouldn't get when buying each portion piecemeal. As with everything, it pays to shop around.

You can use a TA to book your Disney trip and still book your own ADRs, FP+, etc. I'm a control freak and we travel a lot. I've been to Disney dozens of times (I grew up in the Tampa area). Trips I've planned previously have included several international destinations. However, I used a TA for my Disney trip. Here are my reasons:

- I booked the trip about 10 months out. However, at that time there were no discounts available. I had no desire to check for discounts everyday to rebook my trip if one came available. My TA alerted me right away when any discounts came up. FD did not include the resort we were originally staying at so she came up for some alternates for our large party size and was able to grab a villa for us as soon as I decided.

- The Disney website is terrible. I had so many glitches and issues just while trying to research prices. This means I would probably would have ended up booking over the phone. Instead of getting a random CM every time I called why not use a TA, where you talk to the same person every time.

- We wanted a 3 bedroom villa originally. These are really hard to come by. She looked tirelessly for one to come up. We ended up not needing the 3 bedroom and I'm glad I never had to search the website several times a day for it.

- She has been amazing so far! (Our trip is on Saturday) I will admit she's a friend from high school. She is a stay at home mom and this is how she helps to support her family. I liked that she could get the commission from my trip. I certainly am able to book my own trips, but felt like the process was much more personable dealing with her.

As I mentioned above I did my own ADRs and FP+. I'm sure she would have done a great job at this too, but I wanted to do it.

I use a TA for some of my trips, well always for a cruise, not that I will ever be able to afford a Disney cruise again. But, for my trips to the world, I like to get deeper discounts than what Disney offers. I could not get the Poly at a 32% discount any other way but through my TA.

Ditto. I used the same travel agent to book the Poly to get the 55% discount. I would rather book myself directly through Disney but there was no way I would going to pay Disney $445 per night when the travel agent was charging $189.

Ditto. I used the same travel agent to book the Poly to get the 55% discount. I would rather book myself directly through Disney but there was no way I would going to pay Disney $445 per night when the travel agent was charging $189.

That is a huge advantage...I have to say that "MJ"...which is often recommended...has allowed me to get a great discount rate twice in the last few years when DVC didn't match up for me...

Once because of the ridiculous overuse of DVC members during food and wine...and once when I was saving points.

We had a 55% off discount at beach club in June and I can honesty say that I "almost" got good value...

Which I never say for Disney rooms because it's never a value.

I can, and usually do, book my own travel. When it is just me going to WDW I think using a TA would be like having an auto mechanic fill my gas tank. Having said that, when I am booking with a large group or disparate and there are many opinions/desires that have to be merged, or when I am trying a new country, or something completely different I find a good travel agent invaluable. I don't really think the agency I use marks the prices up but I have found that I can usually find a better price myself if I take the time to work at it, and that is one of my main points, my time is valuable and it is worth it to me to throw all the annoying/time consuming 'grunt work' of setting up a vacation over to someone else. They are (or at least should be) faster at it than me and I find I enjoy the vacation more if I didn't have to organize every detail - just set up the parameters, decide the main points, and let the hired expert get it done. Of course I do feel the agency I use is top drawer and they have yet to hork up a trip.

I can, and usually do, book my own travel. When it is just me going to WDW I think using a TA would be like having an auto mechanic fill my gas tank. Having said that, when I am booking with a large group or disparate and there are many opinions/desires that have to be merged, or when I am trying a new country, or something completely different I find a good travel agent invaluable. I don't really think the agency I use marks the prices up but I have found that I can usually find a better price myself if I take the time to work at it, and that is one of my main points, my time is valuable and it is worth it to me to throw all the annoying/time consuming 'grunt work' of setting up a vacation over to someone else. They are (or at least should be) faster at it than me and I find I enjoy the vacation more if I didn't have to organize every detail - just set up the parameters, decide the main points, and let the hired expert get it done. Of course I do feel the agency I use is top drawer and they have yet to hork up a trip.

As a TA who consults on a lot of Disney World trips, ouch on your second sentence :).

I do both, my own bookings and will also use a TA if I see that they can get me a better deal. Our trip coming up in 4 days was booked through a TA at a rate that I could not have gotten myself, believe me I looked at all discounts AP down to public. I would not expect my TA to wake up at 3am to make my ADRs, thats ridiculous, but I would expect them to do them during that day. I like doing my own travel reservations but I am smart enough to check with a TA to see if they can do better and some have and there has also been times when they matched the price I got but they were able to add some perks that I would not have gotten myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter