• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tradition vs Change

My only concern is traffic. That part of the park is already horribly congested even on slow days, and it's likely to get worse with people wanting their morning cuppa. I'd have put it someplace where traffic is lighter.

Maybe there won't be as many people desperate for a decent cup of coffee causing traffic problems once they start putting the Joffreys coffee into the rooms and resort restaurants. We can only hope.

IMO, Walt was a smart man with a vision. He would see this was the way to go. He knew how to market his ideas and make them successful. If he was still here he would adapt to the changes and probably make the same decisions!! In his day, who would have thought the world would be like it is today? I really think he would be OK with the changes!! OK now I am ready for the flames! Go ahead I can take it. Lol;)

No one really knows what Walt would think. He was always about change and innovention though.

Now where is that "beating a dead horse" smiley...

All well and good, but still totally irrelevant to your original post. Big difference between Pleasure Island and changing the sponsorship of the bakery.

How so? Its called Starbucks, not the Main Street Bakery presented by Starbucks. And my original post was it about being on Main street. And me bringing up PI was in response to you saying Disney knows what they are doing, especially in regards to bringing in/having outside Corporations take over Buidings/restraraunts.

Think about the dots that you are trying to connect: "Disney closed 8-Tracks and hasn't been able to fill that space. Therefore, the Main Street Bakery will lose all of its Americana charm when it reopens." This is the very definition of a non sequitor.

You are connecting the wrong dots. My response/point to Disney knows what they are doing is so far anytime where an out-side Corporation is/was to be in control of something , it either hasn't worked out or hasn't happened. You can disagree all you want but there is a big difference between The Main Street Bakery Presented by Starbucks and something that is named Starbucks. When Fed-Ex sponsored Space Mountain it wasn't called "Fed-Ex Mountain" and the little coasters didn't have Fed-Ex emblems on them My original thread was called "Tradition vs Change" , and I'm sure the change will be very heavy for starbucks products and very little of the tradition that Main Street Bakery served.

How so? Its called Starbucks, not the Main Street Bakery presented by Starbucks. And my original post was it about being on Main street. And me bringing up PI was in response to you saying Disney knows what they are doing, especially in regards to bringing in/having outside Corporations take over Buidings/restraraunts.

Incorrect. It will still be called the Main Street Bakery. They will just be sponsored by Starbucks.

How so? Its called Starbucks, not the Main Street Bakery presented by Starbucks.

I'm sure the change will be very heavy for starbucks products and very little of the tradition that Main Street Bakery served.

Again, you need to look at this post on The Disney Food Blog. It's not called Starbucks, it's called Fiddler, Fife & Practical Cafe, with small, discreet Starbucks signage. In particular, look at the picture of the bakery case where it says the top two shelves are Starbucks, the rest are Disney. I see no reason to believe it won't be the same with the Main Street Bakery.

I'm new to disboards, and haven't heard of this change before now. I will go back and read the post highlighted by a previous poster to learn more, but I don't think it's going to be that big if a deal. My family loves Main Street Bakery & often grabs our favorites (cinnamon rolls!!) to have the next morning, and I'm hoping they'll keep some of the same pastries.

I'm confident it'll be incorporated well in the Main Street theme & happy I'll be able to get decent coffee in the park!!

You can disagree all you want but there is a big difference between The Main Street Bakery Presented by Starbucks and something that is named Starbucks. When Fed-Ex sponsored Space Mountain it wasn't called "Fed-Ex Mountain" and the little coasters didn't have Fed-Ex emblems on them.

You obviously have little recollection of when Sara Lee sponsored the bakery. The name was prominently displayed inside and out, and the products served were distinctly Sara Lee. You can try as hard as you want to try and draw a distinction and say that that was OK, but the new change is not. But it is a losing battle. Here. Have a look.... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=46714349&highlight=sara+lee#post46714349 That photo is the "Tradition" that you seek to protect.

My original thread was called "Tradition vs Change" , and I'm sure the change will be very heavy for starbucks products and very little of the tradition that Main Street Bakery served.

And your certaintly derives from what? Go have a Dole Whip and then come back and tell us about how overt branding is the end of Disney as we know it.

You obviously have little recollection of when Sara Lee sponsored the bakery. The name was prominently displayed inside and out, and the products served were distinctly Sara Lee. You can try as hard as you want to try and draw a distinction and say that that was OK, but the new change is not. But it is a losing battle. Here. Have a look.... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=46714349&highlight=sara+lee#post46714349 That photo is the "Tradition" that you seek to protect.

And your certaintly derives from what? Go have a Dole Whip and then come back and tell us about how overt branding is the end of Disney as we know it.

nah, I'd rather have some McDonalds fries from over at Dinoland

Have you seen the concept art for the interior that just came out? It looks like the old interior but with more seating and better line control, which was badly needed. It does not look like a modern Starbucks shop. And the name Main Street Bakery will remain. If one is just worried that their favorite baked good will not survive the change, there is some basis for that worry, because while Disney has announced that Disney baked goods will still be sold there, it has not given details as to which ones.

Objecting to sponsored stores on Main Street makes no sense as there have always been sponsored stores on Main Street both at Disneyland and WDW. Some object to the presence of sponsors that didn't exist at the turn of the century, others just object to an individual sponsor for personal reasons, and still others just don't want to see any change at all to their favorite areas of the parks.

nah, I'd rather have some McDonalds fries from over at Dinoland

McDonald's presence in the parks and Downtown Disney ended at least two years ago.

I think some are worried about the nostalgia of Main Street Bakery going away vs. what you really saw when you got in there. It wasn't pretty. It looked like a 1970s food court. People squished in line along the outside walls, then a stainless cafeteria-style line of foodstuffs. No matter if you just wanted a drink, or just wanted a bakery item, you had to wait in one long line. Meanwhile there was a big no-man's land in the center, serving no function. After check-out was the eat-in area that always seemed overcrowded, and the light tile floor always seemed wet and dirty.

I just took a look at the concept art, and it seems to address a lot of issues. It's a welcome improvement. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter