Trading w/Another Timeshare Owner

MickeyCrazed

DIS Veteran
Hello Everyone!:D
I have read several posts recently questioning the new points chart used when exchanging for a resort outside of Disney.
It has been mentioned that you could possibly save points by trading directly with another timeshare owner.
How would I start researching this?
Are there specific websites that I should visit?
Is there an easy way to tell if someone is looking to trade with a DVC owner?
Thanks for your assistance.

Hi~

One of the best resources on the web for timesharing information is called the Timeshare User's Group, or TUG. Here is a link: http://www.tug2.net

On the left margin of the page, you will see an entry for Direct Exchange directory. That would be where you would find the information you need.

With a paid membership ($15 and well worth it!) you would get a free ad in the classified section and/or the direct exhange board.

Hope this helps,
Nancy

If my info is incorrect, I know there are a few other people that post on this and the TUG bulletin board. They can correct me if I'm wrong.

I can verify this. I am a TUG member and have gotten much useful information from that site. I posted on the site offering to trade DVC for something in the Caribbean, and I received about 20 inquiries, and about 5 of them seemed attractive trades. I am discussing a trade w/ a Royal Caribbean owner for Christmas week. The reservation I would make for her would cost slightly more in points than what the trade would be through DVC/II, but I would be getting a very desireable unit for a very high-demand week.

TUG is a great resource for people interested in using their DVC points to trade to other resorts. Not only can you hook up w/ others interested in trading, but they have tremendous ratings and reviews of the resorts.

The DVC resorts are consistently among the highest rated, BTW!

also try the rental/trade site on this board.

this site has been mentioned enough times on the tug boards that you might find something or you can advertise here.

I agree - TUG is great, a very valuable tool. Through ads on the TUG site, we traded for a Southern California resort last year and are negotiating for a trade in Hawaii for next year.

What's reasonable depends on what resort you want and when you want to go. I've seen people offer a 2 BR at a great resort for a full week in return for a studio for S-F at DVC though for any resort worth trading for, this may be a bit drastic for what most people would consider. The only trade I've really pursued was 168 points for a 2 BR HI at the Embassy on Kauai. It turned into a rental when the guy said he'd take $900 and I could keep the points so I said "the check's in the mail". TUG and the Rent/Trade board are your best bets. TUG has 2 direct exchange areas to look at.

I haven't had a chance to check out the tug website. It sounds great. We own 2 timeshares in New orleans and have recently purchased at BCV (we could never trade for DVC through II). Now we casually sell our getaway weeks & timeshare weeks to pay for our travel expenses to WDW. It never occurred to me to sell the weeks for DVC points- those are better than cash!!! Is this something that I could post for on the trade boards?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter