• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trading Pins on a BUDGET!?

Disneyshopping.com has a semi-annual pin sale. I'm not sure when the next sale is or if it'll be before your trip, but the prices are usually good. You can usually get pin sets at a discount that'll come to around $3.00/pin.

Does anyone know when to expect the next big pin sale?

In the past it's been Feb & Aug.

"Some are not bad- the mini mini pins (like the dwarf sets or the ariel sets) are complete junk as no one will ever trade for them, and they make lanyards looks like crap as the backs are bigger than the fronts. "

I thought that cast members had to trade with kids for whatever. :confused3 (As long it is an official Disney pin.) When we went several years ago, we only traded with cast members because they were much nicer and approachable about the whole thing.

Kayla

We had cast members say no to our kids. They were not pins we started with, rather pins they traded for, because they weren't looking for value, just characters. But they were the cheaper pins (still disney on the back).

But, we taught them, to just say thanks, move on, and trade it to the next cast member. We didn't come home with anything we didn't want.

The CMs will trade with you as long as you have a Disney copywright pin (i.e. it says "Disney" on the back). This applies to all traders, aged 3-103. Kids get to trade with all CM lanyards, adults can't trade with green lanyards.

As for CMs needing "to be shot" for appreciating the mini-pins, well whatever. They're not trading their own pins on the lanyards, and if I was wearing a pin lanyard all day, every day, I'd want to get something light on there rather than the heavier pins. But like I said, whatever.

To the new pin traders out there, you can see that this can get touchy and there is definately a "pin hierarchy." The good news is, this shouldn't really impact your trading with CMs. Just have fun. If you like the way a pin looks, go for it. You can always trade it away later!

One man's trash is another man's treasure!

We had cast members say no to our kids. They were not pins we started with, rather pins they traded for, because they weren't looking for value, just characters. But they were the cheaper pins (still disney on the back).

But, we taught them, to just say thanks, move on, and trade it to the next cast member. We didn't come home with anything we didn't want.

Bravo to you for teaching good trading manners, but the CMs shouldn't be rejecting any pins, unless the CM has the same pin on the lanyard.

Have they changed the rules since mid-December?

As for CMs needing "to be shot" for appreciating the mini-pins, well whatever. They're not trading their own pins on the lanyards, and if I was wearing a pin lanyard all day, every day, I'd want to get something light on there rather than the heavier pins. But like I said, whatever.

I have to agree! So many cast members really seem to appreciate the smaller pins. They really seem to dislike the bigger heavier pins. Come to think of it, I don't like walking around with a lanyard with 10 giant pins all day either!

The CMs will trade with you as long as you have a Disney copywright pin (i.e. it says "Disney" on the back). This applies to all traders, aged 3-103. Kids get to trade with all CM lanyards, adults can't trade with green lanyards.

To the new pin traders out there, you can see that this can get touchy and there is definately a "pin hierarchy." The good news is, this shouldn't really impact your trading with CMs. Just have fun. If you like the way a pin looks, go for it. You can always trade it away later!

One man's trash is another man's treasure!

I never had a CM reject a pin. The laynards are not their personal pins. They usually belong to the location (merch, attraction, restaurant) and various CMs might wear the same laynard throughout the day. We had a theory that at the end of the day they dump those mini pins (Fab 5, Pooh characters) and repackage them for sale ;)

Bravo to you for teaching good trading manners, but the CMs shouldn't be rejecting any pins, unless the CM has the same pin on the lanyard.

Have they changed the rules since mid-December?

I doubt any rules have been changed. We were there in July, and had 2 CM's say no. They said Disney on the back, but were obviously Sedesma (sp?) pins that my kids traded for, but were ready to trade again. They were not already on the lanyards. I think they were just having a bad day.

My kids always took it ok. There was an endless supply of CM's to trade with, it wasn't a big deal to move on. We did try to explain the difference in the pins to the kids, in case they cared.. always letting them know, they were THEIR pins, that if they wanted the sedesma pins, they were more than welcome to trade for them. We ended up coming home with one (out of about 50 pins for our entire familY).. and it is my five year old's favorite of all his pins, because it's Nemo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter