Trader Sams

bethsg

Mouseketeer
While in Disney last week, and staying at the Poly, a must do for me was Trader Sams. My daughter just turned 21, so we decided to go there. A group of 4 of went on a Monday night about 11 pm. There was a very small crowd, but a lot of chaos going on. The staff is working very hard to entertain you. WHile I'm no stranger to the costs of drinks in Disney... I regularly will order a moscow mule or a Mojito which I know are $9.25; the prices of drinks in Trader Sams are outrageous. Beware... the Uh-Oha a drink in a bowl (which they suggest you use for a future batch of guacamole was $40... thats right $40. The Nautilus was $52. Our bill for 4 drinks was $129. My suggestion... ask for the price list when you are going to order. The place is awesome, and there are lots of interactive entertainment going on... be prepared to be encouraged to participate. Maybe, I should have just ordered a beer!

WOW! Even served in a "bowl" those are some pretty high prices!! Yikes…. question though….. did any of those crazy drink prices include the glass/bowl/tiki mug as a take-home? Just curious. Thanks for reviewing Trader Sam's. I've not tried to get in yet as a local.

WOW! Even served in a "bowl" those are some pretty high prices!! Yikes…. question though….. did any of those crazy drink prices include the glass/bowl/tiki mug as a take-home? Just curious. Thanks for reviewing Trader Sam's. I've not tried to get in yet as a local.

From allears:

Uh-Oa! - Myers's Original Dark Ru, Bacardi Superior Rum, orange, passion fruit, guava, pineapple, and grapefruit juices, Falernum, Cinnamon, and fresh lime juice. Recommended for two or more guests. Served in a souvenir Tiki Bowl.

Nautilus - Barbancourt Pango Rhum, Appleton Estate Reserve Tum, Combier Creme de Peche de Vigne Liqueur, Tropical Juices and Falernum. Served in a souvenir Nautilus.

I now want the Polynesian Pearl and the HippopotaMai-Tai, partly for the drinks and partly for the souvenir glasses!

My DH and I were able to experience Trader Sam's during our anniversary trip in May. I was able to order the Hippopota-Mai Tai (or however you spell it!) *without* the souvenir glass for about $15. Still not cheap by any means, but much cheaper than buying it with the glass.

We got lucky and arrived at about 3:45, and the two of us were able to get our hands stamped and be one of the first 50 admitted. When we got in, all the small tables were taken, so we sat at the surf board with a few other folks. It ended up being nice, we met a fellow DVC couple with whom we had things in common. Since all 50 of us arrived at once, there was an understandably significant wait for drinks.

We more or less enjoyed ourselves! It is much louder than we typically like, though the special effects were rather fun. We're trying to get back there in August. We're staying one night at the Poly before we switch to Kidani for the rest of our trip...and our oldest two DD's will have just turned 21 so they are anxious to try it out!

Hoping to hit it when we are there in two weeks on either a Fri or Sat night for our 25 year anniversary...crowds? Time to arrive?
Can someone under 21 sit with us in the outside?

Hoping to hit it when we are there in two weeks on either a Fri or Sat night for our 25 year anniversary...crowds? Time to arrive?
Can someone under 21 sit with us in the outside?

I think it's over 21 after 8pm...I could be wrong.

Hoping to be there at 4/5pm in January with my 2 and 5 year old. lol.

Went to Trader Sam's 3 nights in June. We loved it. Yes the prices are high, if you decide to buy the souvenir mug with the drink (we did). What's not to love about a Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum? The only thing I was disappointed with was that the rum flight didn't include the wooden surf board that the shot glasses were served on.

I actually didn't think the prices were that bad for including a souvenir mug. When I went in May, I got the Hippopotomai-tai (around $15) and Shrunken Zombie Head (around $20). Living in the DC area, maybe I'm just used to high cocktail prices.

From everything I've read, the prices of the drinks comes with the beverage it is served in. I also read that you can ask to just buy the drinks without the souvenir glasses. Correct me if I am wrong, but we can't wait to try it in November. Does anyone know how bad the lines are now?

From everything I've read, the prices of the drinks comes with the beverage it is served in. I also read that you can ask to just buy the drinks without the souvenir glasses. Correct me if I am wrong, but we can't wait to try it in November. Does anyone know how bad the lines are now?
We had drinks there last Thursday night. We finished Ohana around 6:15. Headed down, got a pager and waited about an hour.

Yikes!! We've had the pleasure of going to the original at DL and we loved it!! Nor was it anything near that pricy! We had the Uh-Oa and it was something like $20 for the two of us (didn't even know keeping the cup was an option there).
Although, yes, its Disney and its going to be pricy - but $40-50+ for just 1 drink. No Way!! Even if it does come with a super glass, nuh-oa!

One question, can you get the Adventuers Club Kungaloosh at the WDW Trader Sam's? We were able to get that at DL one.

You can order the drinks without the souvenir glasses for substantially less, and the drink-only prices are not dramatically higher than other "authentic" tiki bars around the US. The Nautilus we got last month was around $50 but included a cocktail plenty powerful for two people and made a very cool addition to our tiki mug collection. Take a look at what people are selling the Trader Sam's souvenir mugs for on eBay. You can regularly see the ceramic Nautilus, sans cocktail, of course, listed for upwards of $70 dollars. Even the PLASTIC tumblers that you can buy with an alcohol-free tropical drink at Trader Sam's or with a Dole Whip float in them just outside TS's for around $10 are selling (empty) for upwards of $20 on eBay. I imagine some people are funding their Trader Sam's visits by selling their excess souvenir containers on eBay afterwards.

We found the prices the same or pretty close to those at Trader Sam's at Disneyland, though it's been a year since we've been there. Wish the WDW Trader Sam's was open at 11 AM and served the entrees the DL version does. The early opening at DL means you can pretty much be assured a table and an uncrowded experience if you are willing to go at an odd hour in the daytime. We went three days in a row last time we visited to take a break from the heat and crowds around 2 pm for late lunches-tried nearly every entree!

Y'all think it would be crazy crowded on a Saturday night? I'll be there in a couple of weeks and was hoping to check it out my first night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter